What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (3 Viewers)

Knicks with an up close and personal look at what they passed on in Haliburton. 

Simply amazing how many FN years they've been looking for an actual PG that can shoot. And they (and many others that shouldn't have) pass on it. So good. On both ends.

Infuriates me as a Suns fan we took Jalen GD Smith over Haliburton who would have been magnificent as 3rd guard with 269 year old Paul and Book. Easily could have been a 30 MPG player in that role.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Craig_MiamiFL

Have you been watching the Bulls?  They've shown quite a bit of growth since that horrible start to the season. They have a strong, veteran bench and Zach LaVine has been playing like a star.  I'm so impressed with Billy Donovan and how he's gotten the team to buy-in.  Their defense still needs work but I'm patient.   

Knicks with an up close and personal look at what they passed on in Haliburton. 

Simply amazing how many FN years they've been looking for an actual PG that can shoot. And they (and many others that shouldn't have) pass on it. So good. On both ends.

Infuriates me as a Suns fan we took Jalen GD Smith over Haliburton who would have been magnificent as 3rd guard with 269 year old Paul and Book. Easily could have been a 30 MPG player in that role.
Yes they should have taken Haliburton but Quickly has looked like a gem for them so far.

@Craig_MiamiFL

Have you been watching the Bulls?  They've shown quite a bit of growth since that horrible start to the season. They have a strong, veteran bench and Zach LaVine has been playing like a star.  I'm so impressed with Billy Donovan and how he's gotten the team to buy-in.  Their defense still needs work but I'm patient.   
Only watched the first 3 games in full :cry:  . Just bits and pieces since.

I just didn't/don't like that Lavine/White backcourt. Too similar of players IMO to ever be great together in starting lineup.  They've got a lot of individual talent. With a consistent facilitator, I think they'd be a lot better. I just see their upside, as constructed, as something like Portland. Exciting offensive player(s) but none of which make the players around them better. And also play no defense.

Only watched the first 3 games in full :cry:  . Just bits and pieces since.

I just didn't/don't like that Lavine/White backcourt. Too similar of players IMO to ever be great together in starting lineup.  They've got a lot of individual talent. With a consistent facilitator, I think they'd be a lot better. I just see their upside, as constructed, as something like Portland. Exciting offensive player(s) but none of which make the players around them better. And also play no defense.
I share your concerns about Coby.  Overall, though, the ball has been moving well.  They are up to 10th in the league in assists.  Zach's been averaging 6.4 assists in January compared to his 3.7  career average.  A lot less hero-iso ball than last year.  Now they just need to cut down on turnovers.  

Juxtatarot said:
So who predicted the Cavs, Knicks and Bulls would have a better record than the Heat and Raptors after 15ish games?
It probably won't last, but this cavs team has been a fun watch. Humorously, they first justified garnering some attention after back-to-back against Kyrie. Who has dodged playing in these games since getting dealt and his wildly unpopular trade was the catalyst to building this team in the first place. 

It probably won't last, but this cavs team has been a fun watch. Humorously, they first justified garnering some attention after back-to-back against Kyrie. Who has dodged playing in these games since getting dealt and his wildly unpopular trade was the catalyst to building this team in the first place. 
unfortunately, the average basketball fan dont get to watch what's next kinda biz in Cleveland, Atlanta or what will be an exciting team in Memphis or anywheres cuz it they aint on the early games unless theyre playing Bwastin, Brutlin, Philly or Mwawkee.

So who predicted the Cavs, Knicks and Bulls would have a better record than the Heat and Raptors after 15ish games?
I was impressed by the Knicks. They play great defense versus the Dubs. Have tons of length and Randle is a great leader for the team. Thibs has no problem making lottery teams into competitive teams, but that's where they'll max out. At least Knicks fans will be able to watch a team that plays hard until they get tired of Thibs.

Celtics got Tatum back and got another comfortable win against a lower tier team, but without Walker tonight (sitting on back-to-backs).  Things are trending up in Boston after their 3 game losing streak which included 2 vs the Sixers.

The bench played well and Brown has stepped his game up again.  He is making a very strong case for being an All-Star and Tatum is well on his way there again.  Smart struggled trying to be a scorer with Tatum out, but he seemed settled back in tonight as a defender and distributor.

Celtics got Tatum back and got another comfortable win against a lower tier team, but without Walker tonight (sitting on back-to-backs).  Things are trending up in Boston after their 3 game losing streak which included 2 vs the Sixers.

The bench played well and Brown has stepped his game up again.  He is making a very strong case for being an All-Star and Tatum is well on his way there again.  Smart struggled trying to be a scorer with Tatum out, but he seemed settled back in tonight as a defender and distributor.
Just because I'm bored and looked all of this up, here are the highlights of Jaylen Brown's season so far:

Advanced stats NBA rankings - PER (9th), Usage (7th), WinShares (11th), WS/48 (20th), Box +/- (8th), VORP (9th)

Dude hasn't just made a leap into All-star status, he's actually been playing at an All-NBA level.  Also just read an article that said Brown is the Most-Improved Player so far this season.

He has passed the eye test because I knew he was better this season than he was even in the bubble a few months ago, but I didn't realize he had jumped up this high.  Now part of it seems to be the fact that Kemba has barely played and Tatum missed 2 weeks, but his efficiency and effectiveness at the higher usage rates indicates they should continue to run more of their offense through him.

If Walker truly gets up to his previous levels of performance and Tatum continues his trajectory, the Celtics will quietly have their own big-3 that can compete with about anyone.  Oddly enough, defense has been their Achilles heel so far (rebounding has even been good so far).  Stevens track record indicates that will be corrected sooner rather than later, and if so, the Celtics may just sneak their way into Championship contention.  Consistent play from Theis/Thompson/RWilliams will be key and if not, they need to trade for someone because those guys haven't really been very solid from game to game.  Also, we are relying on a lot of young guys to perform off of the bench and Teague started well, but has been subpar lately.

Sixers destroyed by the lowly Pistons. 

Easy money.
glad you survived your constant fade of the Sixers considering you probably lost a ton betting on the C's against them.

Love when anybody talks about gambling only when they win and announce their picks in hindsight. I bet a ton on Orlando, Brooklyn, LAL, Boston, OKC and GS last night too  :lmao:

Just because I'm bored and looked all of this up, here are the highlights of Jaylen Brown's season so far:

Advanced stats NBA rankings - PER (9th), Usage (7th), WinShares (11th), WS/48 (20th), Box +/- (8th), VORP (9th)

Dude hasn't just made a leap into All-star status, he's actually been playing at an All-NBA level.  Also just read an article that said Brown is the Most-Improved Player so far this season.

He has passed the eye test because I knew he was better this season than he was even in the bubble a few months ago, but I didn't realize he had jumped up this high.  Now part of it seems to be the fact that Kemba has barely played and Tatum missed 2 weeks, but his efficiency and effectiveness at the higher usage rates indicates they should continue to run more of their offense through him.

If Walker truly gets up to his previous levels of performance and Tatum continues his trajectory, the Celtics will quietly have their own big-3 that can compete with about anyone.  Oddly enough, defense has been their Achilles heel so far (rebounding has even been good so far).  Stevens track record indicates that will be corrected sooner rather than later, and if so, the Celtics may just sneak their way into Championship contention.  Consistent play from Theis/Thompson/RWilliams will be key and if not, they need to trade for someone because those guys haven't really been very solid from game to game.  Also, we are relying on a lot of young guys to perform off of the bench and Teague started well, but has been subpar lately.
and it's all on him. it's become a cliche to say the game has really slowed down for someone, but it's truly the case for Jaylen Brown and he's the one who slowed it down.

i noticed last year that he had slowed down and filled out his shooting stroke, using his remarkable footwork - some of the best in the game - to buy the clearance to give his shooting motion the extra half-second to make it consistent. this off-season, he apparently did a similar thing in understanding his place on the floor and you can see him go thru the flowchart of approaches to getting the ball in the hole like a QB going thru his reads. the concept is as remarkable as the result.

i groaned three times when the Celts originally took Brown 1.03 and his first season proved me right. i only noticed his amazing foot speed because of how it rescued him from bonehead play after bonehead play - half from his smallish hands, but the rest from pure oblivion. but i dont believe to have ever seen a player whose private, off-season work has paid off, year after year, like this kid's. if he takes one more turn to understand his teammates' places on the floor, he'll be challenging Kawhi's turf as best wing in the game.

Rumors are out that the dubs and pelicans are discussing an Oubre Jr. for either Ball/Reddick trade.
It really doesn't matter what they trade him for.   He's terrible and a huge net negative right now.   Hard to see him ever fitting on the team -- to such a degree that it is shocking they ever saw him as a fit.

Sixers tanking tonight to promote the idea of Embiid for MVP. I like it, great call
In other MVP candidate news, someone from the Cavs front office made the mistake of celebrating a Lebron miss too vociferously last night, which motivated him to outscore Cleveland on his own in the 4th quarter as the Lakers managed to maintain their perfect road record.  He just keeps dominating in his 18th season - insane.

In other MVP candidate news, someone from the Cavs front office made the mistake of celebrating a Lebron miss too vociferously last night, which motivated him to outscore Cleveland on his own in the 4th quarter as the Lakers managed to maintain their perfect road record.  He just keeps dominating in his 18th season - insane.
i read it somewhere today, but will be fun when the 12-0 road warrior Lakers come to play the enigmatic 9-0 home record Sixers. 

An 0 has to go!!!!

i read it somewhere today, but will be fun when the 12-0 road warrior Lakers come to play the enigmatic 9-0 home record Sixers. 

An 0 has to go!!!!
Lakers 10-0 on road.  Sixers 9-0 when healthy (1 home loss was without Ben or Embiid)

#1 in East vs #1 in West.

Gonna be an awesome game, I'm excited.

Deamon said:
Lakers 10-0 on road.  Sixers 9-0 when healthy (1 home loss was without Ben or Embiid)

#1 in East vs #1 in West.

Gonna be an awesome game, I'm excited.
Given how much trouble Drummond gave the Lakers on Monday, I'm not looking forward to watching what Embiid will do to the Lakers frontline.  Hopefully he decides to just shoot 3's tonight.

Given how much trouble Drummond gave the Lakers on Monday, I'm not looking forward to watching what Embiid will do to the Lakers frontline.  Hopefully he decides to just shoot 3's tonight.
I'm little more nervous with Marc Gasol against Embiid. Gasol has done well in the past

ona side note, and i come in peace with this, but does the NBA drug test? I would wager that Lebron is on some heavy Testosterone Replacement Therapy or something. I don't think he would be playing like this into his late 30's without any additional help.

Not saying he isn't healthy and doing his part too. i just don't know many sports where a guy plays as long as he has and is not showing a decline physically. TRT can't do it on it's own, but i do think he has a leg up on some others with something behind the scenes

hmm, Lebron drives for lay-up and misses it so he falls on the ground and the ref decides to call a foul. Embiid hopefully gets some calls this game to even this out. 

Sixers have been up in  double figures most of this 1st half, Ben was a huge spark to start the game

ETA: seems to be a big thing as Morris laying on the ground waiting for a whistle

ETA2: Joel needs to settle down, and start to try and get in deep in half court. He isn't looks like his MVP prospect self

Lebron really wants that MVP trophy with that cheap shot on Embiid in mid-air taking his back out

ona side note, and i come in peace with this, but does the NBA drug test? I would wager that Lebron is on some heavy Testosterone Replacement Therapy or something. I don't think he would be playing like this into his late 30's without any additional help.

Not saying he isn't healthy and doing his part too. i just don't know many sports where a guy plays as long as he has and is not showing a decline physically. TRT can't do it on it's own, but i do think he has a leg up on some others with something behind the scenes
millions and millions of dollars to spend on workout, diet, recovery and a pure dedication to the sport

and probably something drug testing hasn't caught up to yet

i have to think one of the worst jobs in the whole world would be a ref for a Lakers game. you basically just get yelled at the whole game by the entire team

Sixers trying to blow this lead
Dennis Shroeder has always been under-rated, and he is looking pretty great right now. But AD and Lebron have been getting owned and have been bailed out with foul shots all 4th

ETA: funny sometimes reading posts from the night before in an emotional game. Certainly wouldn't say the Sixers owned Lebron, he was on his game down the stretch.

This NBA finals Preview is awesome.
should have been. little funny business in the 4th with Lakers tripling Sixers FT attempts and SIxers melting down a bit. 

There were a few pretty bad one's, the offensive foul on Tobias was just atrocious

and i take back all the bad i said about Tobias this year to trade him. Guy looked phenomenal tonight on offense and defense

What a shot Harris.  Thanks
it was hard while watching the game live, but Sixers had a 12-point lead with 3 minutes, 7 seconds remaining. crazy the next 2 minutes and 58 seconds. 

I do love Doc's response to the game, not ecstatic about winning but rather stating the team needs to work on a lot to get to where they should be:

Tom Moore  @TomMoorePhilly

11h

#Sixers coach Doc Rivers: 'I'm a coach, so I look (more at the struggles after being up 12 with 3:07 left). I thought it was more self-inflicted. ... There's a lot of things from a coaching standpoint you could look at and know you can do better.'

Pels finally closed out a game! Got a little iffy in the 3rd quarter, where is where we have blown multiple big leads. Wiz cut a ~20pt lead to 8, then B.I. hit some clutch 3s to build the lead back up a bit. Lonzo even hit a few 3s! :eek:  This is a fun team to watch, and if they can learn to close out games and protect a lead, they're going to be dangerous.  Steven Adams is a stud. I hadn't watched him much prior to coming aboard the Pels.  And a healthy Zion is virtually unstoppable. The quickness for a guy his size and strength is just awesome to behold. 

it was hard while watching the game live, but Sixers had a 12-point lead with 3 minutes, 7 seconds remaining. crazy the next 2 minutes and 58 seconds. 

I do love Doc's response to the game, not ecstatic about winning but rather stating the team needs to work on a lot to get to where they should be:

Tom Moore  @TomMoorePhilly

11h

#Sixers coach Doc Rivers: 'I'm a coach, so I look (more at the struggles after being up 12 with 3:07 left). I thought it was more self-inflicted. ... There's a lot of things from a coaching standpoint you could look at and know you can do better.'
I heard him shouting 'what are you doing?' at the team several times during the almost collpase.   

They got to clean that up

I don't know if the issue was Brett Brown, but this is a different Sixers team. Last few years after a big win the 6ers would almost always have a let down game afterward. A 20+ win over Minnesota is a nice win allowing the team to rest up a little.

I don't know if the issue was Brett Brown, but this is a different Sixers team. Last few years after a big win the 6ers would almost always have a let down game afterward. A 20+ win over Minnesota is a nice win allowing the team to rest up a little.
Embiid is just looking like a superstar and being used properly. Better fitting roster too and people buying into their roles. Plus this current 10man rotation is working nicely. Shake and Maxey are nice bench pieces. 

Users who are viewing this thread