What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

I don't know if the issue was Brett Brown, but this is a different Sixers team. Last few years after a big win the 6ers would almost always have a let down game afterward. A 20+ win over Minnesota is a nice win allowing the team to rest up a little.
I've been saying Brown was the problem for years.

Doc is better, but he's not really a top tier, difference making coach.  Of course there are only a handful of guys I'd put in that category.  Talent means more in the NBA (see Vogel, Lue and even Doc's championship teams).  But a good coach can make a difference.  At least Rivers isn't a detriment like Brown was.

Doc is better, but he's not really a top tier, difference making coach.  Of course there are only a handful of guys I'd put in that category.  Talent means more in the NBA (see Vogel, Lue and even Doc's championship teams).  But a good coach can make a difference.  At least Rivers isn't a detriment like Brown was.
could be right about Doc, but the assistant coaches are top notch too. I admit to not knowing much about asst. coaches around the league, but between Dan Burke, Sam Cassell, and Dave Joeger they seem to be a top 5 group. 2 of those 3 are potential head coaches around the league, and i think they are helping the team a ton 

ETA: can't forget my man Popeye Jones behind the scenes as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:

at least they know now that, tho they are there in the hopes and dreams of Philadelphians and, thus, so well rewarded because of their talents, they are actually there to win ballgames and advance the aims of the club. that's a big step from the Process years

Everyone mocked the Pistons when they drafted Isaiah "Beef Stew" Stewart. As one of 3 remaining Pistons fans, I was not happy with it.

But let me tell you - he is freakin' awesome. Ben Wallace Part 2. He is already a huge fan favorite.

Ugh, Kemba missed a wide open mid range jumper for a win over LA and finishes 1/12 from the field with 4 points.

Tatum and Brown carried the team and nearly got one from the Champs.  Those two have been stellar, but they really need a 3rd guy and Kemba just has not been there this year.

Hornets beat the Bucks by 12. The most impressive part? Melo was a +37 :lmao:  

Melo is so fun to watch. To be 19 years old and to be able to make everyone around you better is something else. Already one of my favorite players to watch in the league.

i watched a little bit of that Celtics game, is Tristan Thompson even the 3rd best Center on that team? I know his contract isn't that bad, but man they could have got 6-7 other guys and instead i think they got the worst of them. it is for 2 years right? 

It was funny with the back and forth when he signed when some in here thought Thompson was the guy who would help the C's compete with Embiid and Bam. I think i feel bad for Theis the most with them sticking that guy out there every night to get bet up

Marcus Smart appears to have popped his Achilles. 🤢
phew! just calf - couplefew wks. i know the Jays are flowering in new & exciting ways, but i dont enjoy the Watching o' the Green without some Maaaacus Smaaaat anymore

Ugh, Kemba missed a wide open mid range jumper for a win over LA and finishes 1/12 from the field with 4 points.

Tatum and Brown carried the team and nearly got one from the Champs.  Those two have been stellar, but they really need a 3rd guy and Kemba just has not been there this year.
this is a terrible development. i was excited for Kemba - coming back from the injury, they had him thinking "point-a-minute, less minutes" to get him off of last season's way-too-polite entre to Celtdom - he was cooking along nicely and, one big game, vroomp, right back to bubble chokitis. i fear a case of clutch yips -

Hornets beat the Bucks by 12. The most impressive part? Melo was a +37 :lmao:  

Melo is so fun to watch. To be 19 years old and to be able to make everyone around you better is something else. Already one of my favorite players to watch in the league.
I need to figure out a better scheme to watch more of these. Anyone have experience using league pass and a VPN?

I haven't watched much of the Pelicans this season bur interesting they are looking for a trade:

Shams Charania  @ShamsCharania

Sources: The Pelicans are focusing on northeast teams — 76ers, Nets, Celtics — as potential trade destination for 15-year veteran JJ Redick.

i would think the 6ers would love to bring JJ back. Sounds like they are shopping both him and Lonzo, and back court of Lonzo and Ben could be some fantastic passing and really have a great transition line-up for 10-12 minutes a game when you let Embiid rest and put in a small ball C. 

No idea where they would fit on the Nets or what the Nets could give up that the Pelicans would want. Boston would be interesting and i can see them wanting to move Kemba, though that knee degen would be something i think most teams would be hestient to invest in

I think the Nets would have to give up Dinwiddie or Jordan to make the salaries work for a Redick trade, and I doubt they’re trading their only center. 

kodycutter said:
Quickley with 25 in 25 off the bench.       lets go anyone playing Dallas, unprotected 1st to the knicks.
25 in 27 mins last night. 

If the Knicks could draft in the lottery like they do in the 25-40 range, this team would be a dynasty by now. 

Doc on Ben: 

“The stuff he does for us. The winning things he does, it’s hard to put into numbers and unfortunately, we’re in this numbers generation where everything’s numbers, and his brilliance sometimes is missed by a lot of people.”

(Cue the "Ben is awful" posts)

I haven't watched much of the Pelicans this season bur interesting they are looking for a trade:

Shams Charania  @ShamsCharania

Sources: The Pelicans are focusing on northeast teams — 76ers, Nets, Celtics — as potential trade destination for 15-year veteran JJ Redick.

i would think the 6ers would love to bring JJ back. Sounds like they are shopping both him and Lonzo, and back court of Lonzo and Ben could be some fantastic passing and really have a great transition line-up for 10-12 minutes a game when you let Embiid rest and put in a small ball C. 

No idea where they would fit on the Nets or what the Nets could give up that the Pelicans would want. Boston would be interesting and i can see them wanting to move Kemba, though that knee degen would be something i think most teams would be hestient to invest in
Man I would love JJ back.... one of my top 5 favourite players ever.  I doubt it works with the Nets, and Boston would be devastating to see him there.  Come back to Philly JJ!

The Process officially went into the ####ter the day Brutal Brett Brown decided that Redick and Belinelli greeting the ball up top on D was a good idea

The Process officially went into the ####ter the day Brutal Brett Brown decided that Redick and Belinelli greeting the ball up top on D was a good idea
well that was Ben's rookie year (technically 2nd, but he didn't play at all in the 1st outside of some pre-season). Lot of growing pains for Brown with significantly different rosters every year.

I do like the sound of this though, Ben at the 5 for around 10 minutes a game has a lot of possibilities:

“I loved it, but we just aren’t organized, honestly,” said Rivers. “Dave Joerger, we’re literally going bonkers on the things we saw that we couldn’t literally do with him at the 5 and it’s too bad. We just haven’t had practice time. We get two days and in the fourth quarter, Dave grabbed me and he says ‘I don’t care what are we do in these two days of practice, we’re going with Ben and the 5 for at least 10 minutes’.”

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/01/ben-simmons-doc-rivers-discuss-minutes-at-the-5-for-sixers-going-forward/

Love these Hornets jerseys (need to get a Lamelo).  Really could use an upgrade at Center. Just get bullied down low against teams like Miami.

Major said:
It's amazing how quickly the Rockets have become a defensive juggernaut since Harden's departure. 
They've looked really good since that deal. 

Obviously it's likely they part with Oladipo at some point IMO but if they don't I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was no fluke. Wood is one of the best bargains not on a rookie deal in the NBA. Jae'Sean Tate also looks like a real find for them. They've got themselves some real nice depth.

Obviously it's likely they part with Oladipo at some point IMO but if they don't I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was no fluke. Wood is one of the best bargains not on a rookie deal in the NBA. Jae'Sean Tate also looks like a real find for them. They've got themselves some real nice depth.
And I still don't know how Wood only got 3/41 unless there's some unknown current locker room/off court issue with him.

Sure his D can leave some to be desired at times but he's a 6'10 kid that can do everything offensively and rebound at the 5. Frankly he's everything teams want upfront in today's NBA at that spot.

Watched him vs. the Pelicans the other night and he was the best big on the court. Nothing against Stephen Adams but amazed he got another $17-18mil/yr deal out of the Pellies. For a team that's been noted to have all these "good defensive players" the last year+ (including Holiday), the Pelicans sure ####### suck on defense.

Malik Monk's bananers tonight. Hornets go into Miami and win.

Think Charlotte's gonna be a playoff team this year if stay healthy IMO. I'd actually be surprised if they weren't. 

Melo is fun. Every team that had a shot of drafting or acquiring him should be kicking themselves. Guy's a special special franchise altering talent with high basketball IQ. Can't say enough good things of him as a distributor. Makes life easier for everyone around him.

Solid 5-2 road trip for the Lakers.  Thought they might get caught looking ahead to the plane ride home and get tripped up by a pesky Hawks team, but they did enough at the end of the game.  These last two games illustrate just how key a role Caruso plays for this team, as loaded as they are.  Obviously, he had that huge play at the end of the Celtics game and tonight when the Lakers let a 10 point lead drop to a 2 point lead in the blink of an eye, Vogel re-inserted Caruso into the game and they promptly closed out the last 2 minutes as he finished with a team-high +13 for the game.  He had an assist, a key offensive rebound and strong defense to help put the game away. Obviously he's not an All-Star, but he fits so well with this team.  I wonder how much he will get as a free agent this off-season, as I don't know how other teams will value him.

Malik Monk's bananers tonight. Hornets go into Miami and win.

Think Charlotte's gonna be a playoff team this year if stay healthy IMO. I'd actually be surprised if they weren't. 

Melo is fun. Every team that had a shot of drafting or acquiring him should be kicking themselves. Guy's a special special franchise altering talent with high basketball IQ. Can't say enough good things of him as a distributor. Makes life easier for everyone around him.
I agree he's great, but "every team that had a shot will be kicking themselves".... so you mean the 2 teams?  Wiseman and Edwards are also showing a ton of promise.

You already see what a difference maker he is. Big reason turning them from league laughingstock to potential playoff team in short order.

Solid 5-2 road trip for the Lakers.  Thought they might get caught looking ahead to the plane ride home and get tripped up by a pesky Hawks team, but they did enough at the end of the game.  These last two games illustrate just how key a role Caruso plays for this team, as loaded as they are.  Obviously, he had that huge play at the end of the Celtics game and tonight when the Lakers let a 10 point lead drop to a 2 point lead in the blink of an eye, Vogel re-inserted Caruso into the game and they promptly closed out the last 2 minutes as he finished with a team-high +13 for the game.  He had an assist, a key offensive rebound and strong defense to help put the game away. Obviously he's not an All-Star, but he fits so well with this team.  I wonder how much he will get as a free agent this off-season, as I don't know how other teams will value him.
Not sure how the Lakers could let Caruso get away. To paraphrase an article from last year, he is the Lebron of playing with Lebron

I agree he's great, but "every team that had a shot will be kicking themselves".... so you mean the 2 teams?  Wiseman and Edwards are also showing a ton of promise.
Agree that all three have started out well and showed their upside a bit. The key with LaMelo is that his flaws (defense and shooting) haven't been nearly as bad as feared. The basketball IQ, as Craig mentioned, is just insane for a 19 year old. What kind of passes will he come up with after 10 years in the league?

modogg said:
well that was Ben's rookie year (technically 2nd, but he didn't play at all in the 1st outside of some pre-season). Lot of growing pains for Brown with significantly different rosters every year.

I do like the sound of this though, Ben at the 5 for around 10 minutes a game has a lot of possibilities:

“I loved it, but we just aren’t organized, honestly,” said Rivers. “Dave Joerger, we’re literally going bonkers on the things we saw that we couldn’t literally do with him at the 5 and it’s too bad. We just haven’t had practice time. We get two days and in the fourth quarter, Dave grabbed me and he says ‘I don’t care what are we do in these two days of practice, we’re going with Ben and the 5 for at least 10 minutes’.”

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/01/ben-simmons-doc-rivers-discuss-minutes-at-the-5-for-sixers-going-forward/
I really like the 10-man rotation they are using.  And Doc is right that starting Howard was a mistake -- plug in Bradley and keep the second unit together.  This team can play D, hit 3s, and dominate inside.  They finally have a team that fits.

Deamon said:
Doc on Ben: 

“The stuff he does for us. The winning things he does, it’s hard to put into numbers and unfortunately, we’re in this numbers generation where everything’s numbers, and his brilliance sometimes is missed by a lot of people.”

(Cue the "Ben is awful" posts)
Weak attempt to pump up his trade value.

And I still don't know how Wood only got 3/41 unless there's some unknown current locker room/off court issue with him.

Sure his D can leave some to be desired at times but he's a 6'10 kid that can do everything offensively and rebound at the 5. Frankly he's everything teams want upfront in today's NBA at that spot.

Watched him vs. the Pelicans the other night and he was the best big on the court. Nothing against Stephen Adams but amazed he got another $17-18mil/yr deal out of the Pellies. For a team that's been noted to have all these "good defensive players" the last year+ (including Holiday), the Pelicans sure ####### suck on defense.
Have definitely been disappointed in SVG's hyped defensive prowess. I will say though, Stephen Adams has improved us from where we were before. 

Also, to the above JJ trade rumors, I can see us dealing them. I'm not sure why we'd trade Lonzo at this point. He has had a couple of bad games, but he has greatly improved since we got him. Unless they are thinking this is his ceiling and are just trying to sell high. I guess it might depend on what they get offered for him/them. 

If they're healthy, this Rockets squad could be a problem and slide in as a 7/8 seed.  It's as if they're now cancer free and playing with a chip on their shoulder.  Nice nucleus with Wall/Oladipo/Gordon/Tucker/Wood and a host of young, high energy reserves.  I'd like to see them sign Oladipo for another two years to align with Wood's value contract.   I'm just happy there is finally something positive developing in Houston sports.  It's been a trying year.  

Have definitely been disappointed in SVG's hyped defensive prowess. 
There is no defense anymore. My Exhibit A is how many DNP-CD players have had 30+pt multiway triumphs in single-game injury fill-ins. That would happen maybe twice a year leaguewide, now it's a 3x/wk thang

The Pellys' prob is that their acquisitions didnt fit their existing talent. Adams keeps Zion from being a P&R monster (tho his game could still be grown out by being made to play the backup Abominable Five as was used to turn Sabonis and Randle into functional stars) and Bledsoe's usage rate keeps Lonzo from doing his shtick

knicks hold the mavs unprotected 1 in 2021.  top 10 protected in 2023.  not saying this will help them, but it can’t hurt.  they are in desperate need of a 3 wing.  but being watchable is a step forward.

Celtics are so frustrating right now.   they let another win escape last night and that's been several in the last few weeks.

They are playing like a marginally above average team.  Flashes of greatness from Tatum and Brown but then sequences of poor defense and poor shot selection leading to big runs by their opponents.

It is incredibly frustrating to me to watch when the Celtics have gone three or four possessions in a row without a bucket while giving up open corner threes and then decide it's time to jack up another long 3 for yet another miss.

My trust in Stevens is starting to falter a bit.  This team has no shot at a title as they are currently constructed. They have to make a move this year.

Celtics are so frustrating right now.   they let another win escape last night and that's been several in the last few weeks.

They are playing like a marginally above average team.  Flashes of greatness from Tatum and Brown but then sequences of poor defense and poor shot selection leading to big runs by their opponents.

It is incredibly frustrating to me to watch when the Celtics have gone three or four possessions in a row without a bucket while giving up open corner threes and then decide it's time to jack up another long 3 for yet another miss.

My trust in Stevens is starting to falter a bit.  This team has no shot at a title as they are currently constructed. They have to make a move this year.
You can’t just walk into Tyrese Haliburton’s house and expect to win. 

Stevens is as good as always. The game has lost what little 'coach's medium' it had. The Celts still appear to have more of a team ethic than most, but there are no more "stops" and almost no more plays, as far as working for a particular shot or direct exploitation of opponent weaknesses. I had the chance to watch Pop work twice in the last week, and he's gone from auteur of his team's result to father of 5yo soccer players, hoping to keep his li'lguys running in the same direction as the ball. As in real life, a confirmation bias for every player and million$ of reasons not to listen when called in. a play still happens without the call, and we the ones making it rain, so who needs a coach?

Is it me or does Kemba hold that team back?  I think you trade him for some asset who can help now.

Users who are viewing this thread