Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2020-21 NBA Thread: Timberwolves go on impressive winning streak that jeopardizes top-3 pick and future of the franchise


Recommended Posts

i mean, i understand dennis smiff is useless, but shouldn’t the pistons be sending the knicks a pick to take rose off their hands?  such a waste so the knicks can make a run at the 10 seed.  they should be playing smiff and stinkilina together to maximize losses to ensure 2 lottery picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also, and I feel the need to say this everywhere I can, please get your vaccine. My FIL refused it and just died today from Covid. I don't want sympathy or thoughts or "sorrys". Just get your #######

Pretty sure I had an easier time quitting heroin than you are having with this.

Voted in both and logged onto 2 aliases accounts to vote against Modogg and Frosty a couple extra times.

7 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

i mean, i understand dennis smiff is useless, but shouldn’t the pistons be sending the knicks a pick to take rose off their hands?  such a waste so the knicks can make a run at the 10 seed.  they should be playing smiff and stinkilina together to maximize losses to ensure 2 lottery picks.

They’re currently the sixth seed. I’m not saying this is a great trade, or that they’re true contenders, but eventually they do need to establish a winning culture.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

They’re currently the sixth seed. I’m not saying this is a great trade, or that they’re true contenders, but eventually they do need to establish a winning culture.

and rose, a guy who basically quit on them and went awol a couple of years ago is the guy to set that culture, as he takes time away from guys that aren’t 32 with 52 yr old knees?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chemical X said:

and rose, a guy who basically quit on them and went awol a couple of years ago is the guy to set that culture, as he takes time away from guys that aren’t 32 with 52 yr old knees?

I hope he doesn’t cut into Quickley’s playing time - but he’s having a decent season and obviously he and Thibs have a good working relationship.

With that said, I admit I’m not excited about this trade (although they gave up nothing), but I was responding to the notion that they should be playing garbage like Smith and Frank N. instead of trying to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I hope he doesn’t cut into Quickley’s playing time - but he’s having a decent season and obviously he and Thibs have a good working relationship.

With that said, I admit I’m not excited about this trade (although they gave up nothing), but I was responding to the notion that they should be playing garbage like Smith and Frank N. instead of trying to win.

they are competitive, imo, cause slugs like frank, smiff and knox don’t play.  all 3 are useless, but i hate chasing a 32 yr old to make a run at a bubble seed.  as long as they don’t re up him, i’m fine.  but i think this anchors IQ to the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

By the way, I'm on board with trading Lauri.  Patrick Williams will probably end up being their long-term 4.

In retrospect, it's really too bad the Bulls didn't move up from 4 to 3 in the draft. Probably could have given Lauri or Carter to move up the spot. Questionable at best IMO either have long term futures in Chicago. Too few flashes and too many games missed to commit big money to either. If either breaks through (ie stay healthy/able consistency) it won't be the Bulls IMO.

Lamelo is the goods. Not 5 guys in the league I'd want over him starting a team today (I'm being conservative probably with 5 as I wouldn't definitively put someone above him).  Easily the best rookie passer I've ever seen. Probably the best passer in the game today already. Time is the only argument against it IMO. Injury probably the only thing that'll derail that from being one of the best ever. With an incredible off the charts basketball IQ. Makes everyone around him better. And his shot is much better than advertised. It's not a slight to Edwards/Wiseman/Williams. They aren't nor ever will have the impact on the court that Lamelo will if he's healthy. Wholly understated how good an athlete Lamelo is with tremendous body control.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

It's really too bad the Bulls didn't move up from 4 to 3 in the draft. Probably could have given Lauri or Carter to move up the spot. 

Lamelo is the goods. Not 5 guys in the league I'd want over him starting a team today (I'm being conservative probably with 5. I wouldn't argue with anyone that says he's the most valuable property in that regard). Easily the best rookie passer I've ever seen. Probably the best passer in the game today already. Time is the only argument against it IMO. Injury probably the only thing that'll derail that from being one of the best ever. With an incredible off the charts basketball IQ. Makes everyone around him better. And his shot is much better than advertised. It's not a slight to Edwards/Wiseman/Williams. They aren't nor ever will have the impact on the court that Lamelo will if he's healthy.

He has so much fun doing it to. Makes the team around him better. He's plus 29 tonight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so bummed that the Wolves ended up with what seems unlikely to be much more than an inefficient scorer in Edwards, while Ball looks like a potential star in the making that makes everyone around him better.  Ball will always be a defensive liability, but what’s that matter when the Wolves give up 70 points in a half on the regular anyways?  :kicksrock:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Desert_Power said:

He has so much fun doing it to. Makes the team around him better. He's plus 29 tonight.

He's quickly made them into one of the most fun teams in the league to watch. 

Connection between him/Bridges is terrific and seemingly at least one highlight reel connection every night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

He's quickly made them into one of the most fun teams in the league to watch. 

Connection between him/Bridges is terrific and seemingly at least one highlight reel connection every night.

Indeed.  I enjoyed watching him slowly destroy the Rockets.  Definitely a franchise changing talent ala Steph or Luka.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 5:01 PM, Chemical X said:

and rose, a guy who basically quit on them and went awol a couple of years ago is the guy to set that culture, as he takes time away from guys that aren’t 32 with 52 yr old knees?

All reports about Rose have said that he's been a really good locker room presence for the Pistons, and has helped to mentor the young guys

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forbes reporting that the dubs (4.7B) have overtaken the lakers (4.6B) as the 2nd highest valued team in the league behind the knicks (5B). Lacob & company purchased the warriors for 450 million in 2010.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2021/02/10/nba-team-values-2021-knicks-keep-top-spot-at-5-billion-warriors-bump-lakers-for-second-place/?sh=7fc1424c645b

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mr fancypants said:

Forbes reporting that the dubs (4.7B) have overtaken the lakers (4.6B) as the 2nd highest valued team in the league behind the knicks (5B). Lacob & company purchased the warriors for 450 million in 2010.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2021/02/10/nba-team-values-2021-knicks-keep-top-spot-at-5-billion-warriors-bump-lakers-for-second-place/?sh=7fc1424c645b

Quote

Our appraisals are what we think the team would sell for.

I think someone would pay more than $5B for the Knicks if Dolan would sell.
And the Clippers value spikes when they get their own stadium in Inglewood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mr fancypants said:

Forbes reporting that the dubs (4.7B) have overtaken the lakers (4.6B) as the 2nd highest valued team in the league behind the knicks (5B). Lacob & company purchased the warriors for 450 million in 2010.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2021/02/10/nba-team-values-2021-knicks-keep-top-spot-at-5-billion-warriors-bump-lakers-for-second-place/?sh=7fc1424c645b

Surprising how high the Knicks value stays even with the awfulness of Dolan. I wonder if it takes a hit if Brooklyn wins a title with their super team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the officiating in this SIxers game is just plain silly. Carmelo trips over his own feet, and they call a foul on Philly somehow. It is just silly, people used to say officials were swayed by hoe crowds, but there really isn't any reason for it. just silly

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, modogg said:

the officiating in this SIxers game is just plain silly. Carmelo trips over his own feet, and they call a foul on Philly somehow. It is just silly, people used to say officials were swayed by hoe crowds, but there really isn't any reason for it. just silly

No need to start calling names, good sir. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:

Melo clowns the Sixers. 

Another winner. Thanks for filling my pockets 👍

you have pockets left after the 3-4 losses you took before this game? 

i get the trolling here, but it would be something at least a little worry if you ever called your anti-Sixers bets before the game instead of the next day after they lose

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Embiid and Simmons still are looking strong.  The team fits.  Seems like Maxey has hit a bit of a wall.  Team missed Shake last night.  What is up with Mike Scott?  Seems like they need him or another similar 4spot in the bench rotation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Embiid and Simmons still are looking strong.  The team fits.  Seems like Maxey has hit a bit of a wall.  Team missed Shake last night.  What is up with Mike Scott?  Seems like they need him or another similar 4spot in the bench rotation.

In Morey, you should trust 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 7:41 PM, dgreen said:

Does someone track a stat about how open shots are? My assumption is the Wizards lead the league giving up open 3s. It’s ridiculous how much space they give opponents. 

No way they leave people more open than the Bucks do.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Lakers appear to be allergic to the ball tonight.

The last week or so they've been conducting experiments on just how little they need to try in order to win a game.   We'll see how many minutes they work hard in the second half.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:

Melo clowns the Sixers. 

Another winner. Thanks for filling my pockets 👍

 

16 hours ago, modogg said:

you have pockets left after the 3-4 losses you took before this game? 

i get the trolling here, but it would be something at least a little worry if you ever called your anti-Sixers bets before the game instead of the next day after they lose

Ya the trolling worked for the first couple times, I'll admit.  Now the act is a little tired and overdone dude.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, Dr. Octopus said:

I hope he doesn’t cut into Quickley’s playing time - but he’s having a decent season and obviously he and Thibs have a good working relationship.

With that said, I admit I’m not excited about this trade (although they gave up nothing), but I was responding to the notion that they should be playing garbage like Smith and Frank N. instead of trying to win.

Looks like it's Austin Rivers who is losing the playing time.    Rose has seemingly fit into the rotation very nicely with Quickley.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So all of the overzealous Tatum love has certainly seemed to quiet down. Still big in the national media, but watching him today with his current -22 is not pretty. I know the guy loves his hero ball so maybe he is waiting until 4th Q to throw a ton of shots up, but very glad to not have a guy like him on a team i am rooting for. 

it was fun with Iverson, but the hero ball (outside of LeBron) seems to not be the formula for a winning team. Maybe the individualism push will start to dissipate and people can start talking about basketball as a team game again.

WT: funny they will probably pull the game close rto only being down 10 or so and get  bunch of garbage stats, but the Wizards are resting most of their starters for the 4th. 

Comparing the Celtics the yer they drafted Tatum, with all the assets and potential they had, to what they are now, would seem to be must to have to kick Danny Ainge 

Edited by modogg
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, modogg said:

So all of the overzealous Tatum love has certainly seemed to quiet down. Still big in the national media, but watching him today with his current -22 is not pretty. I know the guy loves his hero ball so maybe he is waiting until 4th Q to throw a ton of shots up, but very glad to not have a guy like him on a team i am rooting for. 

it was fun with Iverson, but the hero ball (outside of LeBron) seems to not be the formula for a winning team. Maybe the individualism push will start to dissipate and people can start talking about basketball as a team game again.

WT: funny they will probably pull the game close rto only being down 10 or so and get  bunch of garbage stats, but the Wizards are resting most of their starters for the 4th. 

Comparing the Celtics the yer they drafted Tatum, with all the assets and potential they had, to what they are now, would seem to be must to have to kick Danny Ainge 

Tatum seems to take the whole Mamba Mentality myth to heart. One guy can't win it all for his team, but he sure can lose it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:

Sixers predictably flop against the Suns. 

Parlay Partay :thumbup:

If you ever have the foresight to show your bet slip before a game, I'll follow along and give you 25% of the profits. 

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

If you ever have the foresight to show your bet slip before a game, I'll follow along and give you 25% of the profits. 

i hate feeding the troll, but i'd be happy if he ever called the bet before any game.

Sixers are 18-9, So i'm guessing Soduko is already down +10 units for the year

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, modogg said:

i hate feeding the troll, but i'd be happy if he ever called the bet before any game.

Sixers are 18-9, So i'm guessing Soduko is already down +10 units for the year

Beg to differ

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, modogg said:

i hate feeding the troll, but i'd be happy if he ever called the bet before any game.

Sixers are 18-9, So i'm guessing Soduko is already down +10 units for the year

Pretty sure I had an easier time quitting heroin than you are having with this.

  • Like 5
  • Laughing 5
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Raptors/Cavs in talks about Drummond. (Apparently Cavs are gonna hold Drummond out til reach a deal)

Raps went from Gasol/Ibaka....to paying $10m/yr on FN Baynes/Alex Len (latter already waived and lasted a month on the season roster I believe). Unless you're idiots like the Pelicans STILL paying Steven Adams $17-18m/yr on new deals :lmao: , their were tons of bigs available in season and signed to lesser deals than the figure Baynes/Len signed for.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Raptors/Cavs in talks about Drummond. (Apparently Cavs are gonna hold Drummond out til reach a deal)

Raps went from Gasol/Ibaka....to paying $10m/yr on FN Baynes/Alex Len (latter already waived and lasted a month on the season roster I believe). Unless you're idiots like the Pelicans STILL paying Steven Adams $17-18m/yr on new deals :lmao: , their were tons of bigs available in season and signed to lesser deals than the figure Baynes/Len signed for.

My working theory is that you basically should never spend more than the MLE (or spend a high draft pick paying in excess of that amount) on a traditional center - there's maybe 3-4 worth more than that.  Kind of surprised Len has been so bad - he was a really solid backup for Sacramento last year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Simmons 1st Q against this Utah Jazz without Embiid playig is why he can be so frustrating/fun. Guy just destroyed the Jazz single-handedly.

19 points, and 4 assists against the best team in the league without the MVP candidate Embiid (in 1 quarter) should hopefully have all the Ben hate slow down for at least maybe 2 games

Edited by modogg
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modogg said:

his carrer arc has been something. His rookie and early years people were so down on him

Were they? He was pretty damn solid as a Laker. Laker nation was bummed that they couldn't keep him.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Were they? He was pretty damn solid as a Laker. Laker nation was bummed that they couldn't keep him.

it's funny, when i wrote that i was confusing Randle with Jabari Parker

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, modogg said:

Ben Simmons 1st Q against this Utah Jazz without Embiid playig is why he can be so frustrating/fun. Guy just destroyed the Jazz single-handedly.

19 points, and 4 assists against the best team in the league without the MVP candidate Embiid (in 1 quarter) should hopefully have all the Ben hate slow down for at least maybe 2 games

Couldn't keep up it going and only ended up with 42 points (Not 76 like he should have had if he kept his pace).  He sucks.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deamon said:

Couldn't keep up it going and only ended up with 42 points (Not 76 like he should have had if he kept his pace).  He sucks.

i love that he went 12-13 from the FT line. if he can shoot over 70% and get near 80% from the FT line he will be a monster.

What i also find so funny is how lazy and simple most analysts and the NBA media can be (not all, but more than half). They always love to talk about guys' total score, and never point to the actual performance. Love that Ben got this on 26 shots too. Others hype a guy who gets 40 points and he ends up taking 40 shots 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Capella changed the title to 2020-21 NBA Thread: Timberwolves go on impressive winning streak that jeopardizes top-3 pick and future of the franchise

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...