What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

he got his elbow. Even the lightest elbow taps disrupt a shooter. 
watched some of the Heat/Sixers last night and no matter how flagrantly obvious the foul, players were flamboyantly protesting every time.

it's so bad. refs should auto-T if a guy looks askance at them. you even roll your eyes to clear a contact, double-T and automatic one-game suspension.

spike a ball on the court after a foul call and it's a PED, 50-game suspension.

you make it three and you're barred from accessing your bank accounts.

watched some of the Heat/Sixers last night and no matter how flagrantly obvious the foul, players were flamboyantly protesting every time.

it's so bad. refs should auto-T if a guy looks askance at them. you even roll your eyes to clear a contact, double-T and automatic one-game suspension.

you're clearly emotional and upset...haha. like i is said i think they need to take their time and write some very clear rules. then they need to make sure every coach and player has a clear understanding and no favorites... lebron, chris, etc. but your rules would do more harm than good, man. i love this game so much. i have to ignore most everyone who complains about this coach, that player, and everything else. i would be lost without the nba.

one thought - reduce the penalties, but call 500% more techs. get these whiners to behave. but if a review shows the player was right, give him a warning and a break on the penalty. honestly, i dunno. it probably bothers me way less than most. i give a player not known for whining wide birth, but the incessant whiners need to be checked, or something.

warnings and disciplining them like children would be fun. Ref at scorer's table: "That's a behavioral warning for Lebron. If he does it again he has to go sit in the corner for five minutes."

Jayrod alias?

you're clearly emotional and upset...haha. like i is said i think they need to take their time and write some very clear rules. then they need to make sure every coach and player has a clear understanding and no favorites... lebron, chris, etc. but your rules would do more harm than good, man. i love this game so much. i have to ignore most everyone who complains about this coach, that player, and everything else. i would be lost without the nba.

one thought - reduce the penalties, but call 500% more techs. get these whiners to behave. but if a review shows the player was right, give him a warning and a break on the penalty. honestly, i dunno. it probably bothers me way less than most. i give a player not known for whining wide birth, but the incessant whiners need to be checked, or something.
just PM'd Jhoe to unplug your internet 

i'm not sure what can be done. it's clear that no one fears/respects the refs. maybe they never did, but the guys couldn't afford the fines that come with ejections and techs, etc. not sure.

there was one foul where a guy (i forget the exact people involved. might have been the Wizards game earlier this week) went up for a jumper at around the FT line, the defender raised up to challenge and shoved the shooter's arm back, CLEARLY, to the point where the ball came up 2 feet short of the hoop. 

absolutely not a question in the world it was a foul. none. zero. no sane person would try to argue that they didn't do anything wrong in this instance.

cue a fantastic outburst of yelling, spinning, arm flailing and incredulous looks. followed by a long conversation with the ref as the player tried to demo how he defended the shot, but didn't foul.

repeated replay show the guy shoving the shooter's arm before he even released the ball.

feels like the guys have gotten so comfortable with being able to lawyer their way in to/out of calls that they are going to push the envelope every time now.  

it's that old parenting saw about setting boundaries and being consistent. you buckle a little and you're opening the floodgates. 

Am I interpreting things right that neither the Golden State game nor the Memphis game tonight count for anything, since no matter what happens, whoever wins their game on Sunday will either have a better record or will be tied by hold the head to head tiebreaker advantage?

Am I interpreting things right that neither the Golden State game nor the Memphis game tonight count for anything, since no matter what happens, whoever wins their game on Sunday will either have a better record or will be tied by hold the head to head tiebreaker advantage?
Yep, the season series is currently tied at 1-1 making the winner of Sunday's game the 8th seed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The boys are back in town  :towelwave:

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

Nets coach Steve Nash says he expects Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving to all play Saturday against Chicago ... which would be just their eighth game together this season.

12:10 PM · May 14, 2021

The boys are back in town  :towelwave:

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

Nets coach Steve Nash says he expects Kevin Durant, James Harden and Kyrie Irving to all play Saturday against Chicago ... which would be just their eighth game together this season.

12:10 PM · May 14, 2021
That is pretty crazy.

I know this will be kind of unpopular opinion, but I would have loved to see a fully healthy Nets vs. a fully healthy Warriors in the finals this year. 

Durant vs. his old team, Harden and Irving vs a Warrior's team that they have had crazy good playoff battles. 

On the Warrior's side you have Curry playing some of his best basketball ever Klay would probably be close to fully healthy from his ACL tear if he didn't tear his achilles. 

Plus you would have one of the best ball moving teams ever vs 3 ball dominant iso players that can score on anyone. Hopefully we get a couple glimpses of this in the regular season next year. 

i'm not sure what can be done. it's clear that no one fears/respects the refs. maybe they never did, but the guys couldn't afford the fines that come with ejections and techs, etc. not sure.

there was one foul where a guy (i forget the exact people involved. might have been the Wizards game earlier this week) went up for a jumper at around the FT line, the defender raised up to challenge and shoved the shooter's arm back, CLEARLY, to the point where the ball came up 2 feet short of the hoop. 

absolutely not a question in the world it was a foul. none. zero. no sane person would try to argue that they didn't do anything wrong in this instance.

cue a fantastic outburst of yelling, spinning, arm flailing and incredulous looks. followed by a long conversation with the ref as the player tried to demo how he defended the shot, but didn't foul.

repeated replay show the guy shoving the shooter's arm before he even released the ball.

feels like the guys have gotten so comfortable with being able to lawyer their way in to/out of calls that they are going to push the envelope every time now.  

it's that old parenting saw about setting boundaries and being consistent. you buckle a little and you're opening the floodgates. 
too long to read, but i think the issue with fouls is also that technical fouls really don't mean much anymore. You get a play last night like Udonis coming over and pushing Dwight, then poking him in the face. No problem for Udonis who gets a tech because it is 2 free throws and not much else. Maybe make technical fouls a little more meaningful will get some of the whining and complaining to go away?

Also, as someone who is very familiar with Behavior Analysis, it is pretty obvious that all of the whining occurs because it is reinforced. watch a lot of these games, and you see some of these popular mainstream guys complain, and next thing you know they get a few calls their way. Maybe refs stop doing that, and we wouldn't see as much whining

I know this will be kind of unpopular opinion, but I would have loved to see a fully healthy Nets vs. a fully healthy Warriors in the finals this year. 

Durant vs. his old team, Harden and Irving vs a Warrior's team that they have had crazy good playoff battles. 

On the Warrior's side you have Curry playing some of his best basketball ever Klay would probably be close to fully healthy from his ACL tear if he didn't tear his achilles. 

Plus you would have one of the best ball moving teams ever vs 3 ball dominant iso players that can score on anyone. Hopefully we get a couple glimpses of this in the regular season next year. 
I would like to see that except that would mean one of them would have to win it.

Sixers clinched the 1 seed tonight.  Will be funny to watch that Sixers/Magic game Sunday as Sixers will likely rest everyone, and Magic will be in desperate need to lose that game to stay in the bottom 3.

Nets need to win both games to secure the 2 seed.  2 Seed gets Indiana/Boston/Washington, 3 seed gets Knicks/Miami.  Huge advantage to have that 2 seed.  Plus HCA in the Bucks/Nets series which is probably going to be the best series of this whole playoffs.

I feel like all of the good first round series will be in the West.  The East doesn't really start until the 2nd round.

I feel like all of the good first round series will be in the West.  The East doesn't really start until the 2and round.
probably right, unless the Heat end in the 6th spot and play Milwaukee 1st round. That series will be fun and real interesting after the Heat beat them last year

Sixers clinched the 1 seed tonight.  Will be funny to watch that Sixers/Magic game Sunday as Sixers will likely rest everyone, and Magic will be in desperate need to lose that game to stay in the bottom 3.

Nets need to win both games to secure the 2 seed.  2 Seed gets Indiana/Boston/Washington, 3 seed gets Knicks/Miami.  Huge advantage to have that 2 seed.  Plus HCA in the Bucks/Nets series which is probably going to be the best series of this whole playoffs.

glad to see they looked focused last night. Was a real punch in the face last night from Miami, i think Doc has done a good job with working with the team to not let these things get out of hand. 

Just looked through a lot of my pre-season bets and i have some juicy ones. Holding this puppy, with a twinkle in my eye if the boys can come through:

NBA TITLE WINNER 2021?
[5623] PHILADELPHIA 76ERS +3100

glad to see they looked focused last night. Was a real punch in the face last night from Miami, i think Doc has done a good job with working with the team to not let these things get out of hand. 

Just looked through a lot of my pre-season bets and i have some juicy ones. Holding this puppy, with a twinkle in my eye if the boys can come through:

NBA TITLE WINNER 2021?
[5623] PHILADELPHIA 76ERS +3100
538 has updated their odds. Bumped Philly to 4th. Clippers now #1, jazz #2, nets #3, Sixers #4.  I think this seems pretty good. Nets probably would be the best money bet right now. 

538 has updated their odds. Bumped Philly to 4th. Clippers now #1, jazz #2, nets #3, Sixers #4.  I think this seems pretty good. Nets probably would be the best money bet right now. 
glad i got in earlier on some of those 2. Right now if the Clippers, Nets or 6ers win i am in pretty good shape. have some sprinkled around, and mostly the 6'ers winning it all will be the most joyous. Them winning the Atlantic division tonight was profitable, so good start 

If Lebron is playing and 80 percent I put them as a slight favorite. 

Problem is Curry could go nuclear at anytime and win you a game. Especially the way he is playing right now. 
Lebron will either a) guard Curry and shut him down or b) get so many calls from the refs that GS won’t have a real chance to win

Lebron will either a) guard Curry and shut him down or b) get so many calls from the refs that GS won’t have a real chance to win
Nobody really shuts down the stars in the game anymore. Better defenders than Lebron have tried to shut down Curry the last 6ish weeks and have failed

Plus Lebron has missed like 26 of the last 28 games. His conditioning won't be all the back. I have a very difficult time believing they are just going to throw him on one of the best players in the league and maybe the best player at moving without the ball. Lebron may guard him in little spurts or down the stretch, but if Curry has a bad game 90 percent chance Curry was just off. 

I've noticed courtside that the players clean up their language when there is a woman ref.  Much more enjoyable to be at those games as a spectator with kids.

CAN WE STOP MENTIONING THIS?? IT'S NOT HELPING MY ANXIETY. 

TIA
well, i'm glad the Bucks didn't shy away and are beating up the Heats tonight. honest kudos to them, listened to a few NBA podcasts while i was DIY'ing today, and almost all of them told the Bucks to sit their starters to avoid having to play the Heat in the 1st round. Would love to see that match-up, and the Cs to get the 8th seed, so we can have a fun revenge playoffs for the 1st round

Trying to play matchmaker in the West seems pointless.  No idea how it all shakes out tomorrow.  I believe 1-9 is all still up in the air.  Only the Suns and Warriors tip off before 8:00 among those 9 Western playoff teams.

Trying to play matchmaker in the West seems pointless.  No idea how it all shakes out tomorrow.  I believe 1-9 is all still up in the air.  Only the Suns and Warriors tip off before 8:00 among those 9 Western playoff teams.
three games start at 10am. wake and bake kinda morning.

Technically in the air, but some of them are pretty sure things.

1.  Utah... no chance they lose to the Kings tomorrow.  They'll be the 1.
2.  Suns ... will be the 2 with the above.
3.  Nuggets/Clippers up in the air
4.  Nuggets/Clippers up in the air
5.  Mavs are all but locked in here... they aren't losing to the Timberwolves.
6. This is the crazy one.  Portland needs a win badly.  Portland/Denver game tomorrow is going to be good but Denver I think is too short handed.  I give the Blazers the W (Plus, we all want that Lakers/Warriors Play in game)
7. Lakers locked in here if Portland wins.
8. Warriors/Memphis is the game of the day tomorrow.  Winner gets the Lakers in Play in game.  I think it's GS.
9. Memphis/GS loser.
10. Spurs locked in here.

I'm predicting the only movement in the standings tomorrow is the Clippers/Nuggets swap.  Giving us:

1 Utah vs 8 SA/Mem/GS/LAL
2. Pho vs 7 GS/LAL
3. LAC vs 6 Portland
4. Den vs 5. Dallas

Should be exciting!

three games start at 10am. wake and bake kinda morning.
Should be some good early games too.

Charlotte vs Washington is going to be fun.  Winner gets to play the Celtics for the 7 seed, and still alive for the 8 seed with a loss.  A lot at stake there.  Washington by 4.

Knicks vs Celtics... Knicks really need to win to avoid slipping to 6 and having to face Milwaukee/Nets round 1.  I can't see why Boston would play any starters though, they're locked into their 7 spot.  Knicks by 20.

Pacers vs Raptors.... this game will suck.  Zero to play for for either team, and likely going to be shells of their line ups.  Who cares by 5.

Should be some good early games too.

Charlotte vs Washington is going to be fun.  Winner gets to play the Celtics for the 7 seed, and still alive for the 8 seed with a loss.  A lot at stake there.  Washington by 4.

Knicks vs Celtics... Knicks really need to win to avoid slipping to 6 and having to face Milwaukee/Nets round 1.  I can't see why Boston would play any starters though, they're locked into their 7 spot.  Knicks by 20.

Pacers vs Raptors.... this game will suck.  Zero to play for for either team, and likely going to be shells of their line ups.  Who cares by 5.
Tatum is playing to make an all-NBA team because he will be eligible for an additional 30 million dollars if he makes all-NBA.  Knicks should win but I’ll be on Tatum over points too. 

Dallas fan discussion:

• Assume Denver loses to avoid the Lakers
  • Means Dallas has to win and Clippers have to win for a Denver Dallas 4-5 matchup
All those games are at 8pm so it's going to be crazy!

modogg said:
Tatum is playing to make an all-NBA team because he will be eligible for an additional 30 million dollars if he makes all-NBA.  Knicks should win but I’ll be on Tatum over points too. 
Everyone mark your calendars. May 16 will forever be remembered as the day modogg cheered for Tatum. 

Instinctive said:
Dallas fan discussion:

• Assume Denver loses to avoid the Lakers
  • Means Dallas has to win and Clippers have to win for a Denver Dallas 4-5 matchup
All those games are at 8pm so it's going to be crazy!
Ya I think Denver will lose. They win and they play the Lakers. They lose and they get the mavs. 

Gilroy34 said:
I think Denver rests their guys tomorrow to avoid playing Lakers in 1st round.
If they don't, it's a giant #### up. The last thing they want is to play the Lakers in round 1. The Blazers are going to be desperate to win as well. Time to roll out Bol Bol.

Users who are viewing this thread