What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disc Golf Addiction (1 Viewer)

So how do I get better at throwing a disc?  I have poor distance and I'm  probably gripping the discs incorrectly and too tightly.  I will have a cut on my finger by the 8th hole.

Thinking of starting next year. Will start at a local practice range. Looks like about 100' between most of the baskets. Any specific disc recommendations for the practice range?

Thinking of starting next year. Will start at a local practice range. Looks like about 100' between most of the baskets. Any specific disc recommendations for the practice range?
If that's what you start on, just get a putter and work on your form. Once you are comfortable, get a mid-range and work from there. There are several putters to choose from, probably doesn't matter much if you are just starting out. I personally use a Dynamic Discs Judge, but that's not really an endorsement since I put for sh!t.

Any recs for how someone in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area could get started? Good places to practice?

shades said:
Any recs for how someone in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area could get started? Good places to practice?
My suggestion would be to install the Udisc app on your phone. A wealth of info is available on there. Will show you local courses, and most will have reviews which should tell you if they're what you're looking for.

So the Covid era has led me to the disc golf world, and I have to say it's been a great outlet in so many ways. Great exercise and a perfect way to get outside while social distancing. 

The people I've interacted with so far have been fantastic. There is a definite sub-culture of disc golfers who are 99% welcoming and chill about the sport. Demographically it definitely skews young, but feeling like the old man on the course hasn't dampened my enthusiasm at all.

I play probably 5 times a week beginning in mid-July. I've become more and more interested in the sport as the months progress, from the history of it to the current tour and prominent players. I find myself watching YouTube videos constantly, both instructional and recordings of tour events. I also have visited about a dozen courses in my immediate area and am excited to visit courses farther afield at the first opportunity.

I was stunned to not find a disc golf thread on these forums. 

Any other enthusiasts from the FBG realm? What do you throw? Where do you play?
Because they are all high on the reefer? ;)

This is something I wanted to try more with the son.  How much is a decent beginner set of discs? 

Because they are all high on the reefer? ;)

This is something I wanted to try more with the son.  How much is a decent beginner set of discs? 
In the before-times, I'm told you could find nearly anything for a good price at your local Play-It-Again sports, but that isn't the case lately, at least around me. Facebook has several disc-trading/selling groups that are worth a look if you want to keep your investment down.

Played my first sanctioned baby-tourney this weekend. Lot's of fun. Already signed up for another in a couple of weeks. Hope the weather cooperates.

I was -1, but it's a very easy course. Top performer in all divisions was -9 I believe. I was pleased to be under par and to get an official rating. Playing another on the 19th, praying the weather holds up. It's a lot of fun. 

Hoping 2021 brings some normalcy and the opportunity to hit some new courses regionally and enter events.

Wife and I bought some discs and played on a date recently. Brought wine in yeti bottles. Super fun. 

Excellent, good luck. It's a lot of fun.

I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow morning for the first time in about 6 weeks. Hoping the snow is down enough not to swallow discs.
Tape a ribbon to a couple of your discs in case it is still  deep enough to lose them.

Trying to get into this. I enjoy it but am terrible so far. I’m guessing the advice to start with a putter is probably something I should listen to as keeping my form so that I can replicate my throws and make the disc do what I want is a huge problem so far.

What weights are you guys generally throwing? I have about 6 discs but I think I may have gotten some bad advice on weights. I was basically told “get heavy weights”. So most of my discs right now are in the 173-177 range. It seemed logical at the time because my 158g Leopard was getting carried all over by the wind. But I think it was an overcompensation and I may be overthrowing now. 

Played a pretty open course yesterday with really long baskets and a decent amount of wind. Ended up playing more side to side than lengthwise. Seemed like either I tried to compensate for the wind and my disc ended uo straight instead, or I tried to throw straight and my disc simply never turned over and sailed way left. Eventually called it quits when it became clear I was going to lose a disc playing the way i was playing, lol.

I'm slacking. Family life and back/knee issues have taken their toll on my playing time.

But remember when we went out to celebrate my birthday and I got my 2nd ace ever? Good times.
Man, I only have front knees. It must be quit an advantage to be phyically gifted with back knees too.

Trying to get into this. I enjoy it but am terrible so far. I’m guessing the advice to start with a putter is probably something I should listen to as keeping my form so that I can replicate my throws and make the disc do what I want is a huge problem so far.

What weights are you guys generally throwing? I have about 6 discs but I think I may have gotten some bad advice on weights. I was basically told “get heavy weights”. So most of my discs right now are in the 173-177 range. It seemed logical at the time because my 158g Leopard was getting carried all over by the wind. But I think it was an overcompensation and I may be overthrowing now. 

Played a pretty open course yesterday with really long baskets and a decent amount of wind. Ended up playing more side to side than lengthwise. Seemed like either I tried to compensate for the wind and my disc ended uo straight instead, or I tried to throw straight and my disc simply never turned over and sailed way left. Eventually called it quits when it became clear I was going to lose a disc playing the way i was playing, lol.
Stay with it. I've found most people get to a fairly competent level pretty quickly. I'd say between myself and my core group I play with we were all meaningfully better than when we began after going out only 4-5 times. Then we all plateaued and the improvement was much more gradual.

I generally can throw lighter discs farther, but of course the wind dictates which disc I'll pull from the bag. It's a constant judgement call which really is risk/reward. Wind direction matters too of course. If it's a headwind or cross wind, heavier weights and more overstable discs usually perform better. With a tail wind you can sometimes get away with staying light.

If the wind is up at all, I try to only throw discs over 170g, but if it's calm I love reaching for a couple of distance drivers I have that are 156g. 

I'd say for anything inside 150 feet or so, weights aren't really an issue and I just throw what feels comfortable. 

The addiction to this sport has not waned at all, and I'm still thrilled to go out every time.

Played 3 full rounds on long courses both Friday and yesterday and it was a blast. Make you feel like a kid again trying to sneak in those last few holes before it gets too dark to see.

Such a phenomenal way to get exercise as well. Down 30 pounds since I started (walked 9 miles Friday and 11 Saturday, as an example). I've never been into working out/exercising much, I tend to get bored pretty quickly. What a blessing it is to finally find something to do which is pure fun and great exercise at the same time.

Nobody is a natural at this sport.  And unfortunately most of the how-to is online.  Although you will find the community pretty passionate about helping others.  9 times out of 10 if you see someone who knows what they’re doing they will give you tips if you ask.  Meanwhile, I really enjoyed these videos when I was first learning.  

https://www.innovadiscs.com/home/disc-golf-faq/flight-ratings-system/

Users who are viewing this thread