What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Luton Lunacy ? - Jake Luton QB JAX (1 Viewer)

Casting Couch

Footballguy
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/oregon-state-beavers/report-jake-luton-may-get-opportunity-start-jacksonville

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/is-jake-luton-the-jacksonville-jaguars-next-surprise-at-quarterback

from SI article

"Luton (6-feet-6, 224 pounds) threw 28 touchdowns and three interceptions as a senior at Oregon State last season. While official numbers aren’t kept during training camp, he’s been on target more often than not, continuing an impressive camp and forcing everyone around him to pay attention to the next rookie quarterback for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Because he could just be the next big surprise in the NFL. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worthy of a stash on deep dynasty rosters imo.

Is he the backup to Minshew? I just need a live body in one of my leagues to cover Goff’s bye week 9. 

Sports Illustrated's John Shipley expects Jake Luton to start Week 9 against the Texans.

The Jaguars have yet to rule out Gardner Minshew (thumb), but the signs point to them making a change. Minshew was already at risk of getting benched before his injury. Jacksonville likely wants to see what they have in Luton — the most efficient quarterback in the Pac-12 last year. Luton (6'6/224) has prototype size and could open up the offense more than Minshew (6.9 YPA). Jacksonville turning to Luton would potentially be a boost to D.J. Chark's value.

RELATED: 

Gardner Minshew

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Oct 30, 2020, 10:17 AM ET

I suspect Lawrence won't come out if it looks like the Jets will take him. 

I wonder how he feels about JAX as a possible destination? 

I suspect Lawrence won't come out if it looks like the Jets will take him. 

I wonder how he feels about JAX as a possible destination? 
He grew up in Cartersville GA and goes to college in Clemson SC. Jax Vegas will be the big city for him. (At least that’s what we are hoping). 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports sixth-round rookie Jake Luton is expected to start in place of Gardner Minshew (thumb, out) for Week 9 against the Texans.

Luton will receive the starter's reps at practice and get the nod over journeyman Mike Glennon. Coach Doug Marrone also noted that Minshew isn't guaranteed to get his job back when/if he returns this year. Luton (6'6/224) started in 20 of 23 career games for the Beavers, joining Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Fields as one of only three FBS quarterbacks with 21-plus touchdown passes and three or fewer interceptions in 2019, but Luton only completed 35.8 percent of his passes under pressure in three years at Oregon State. This move is nothing more than a ploy to pin the blame on someone other than the coaching staff, who are just nine games away from inevitably being cut loose this offseason.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 2, 2020, 3:45 PM ET

I’m rostering Luton as a bit of keep-away from a fellow competitor who lost his backup (Minshew), so I hope he does well.

But if Darnold was available I’d be rostering him instead for sure. He’s flashed and look what players have done post-Gase in the past. Imagine he gets out of NY because they draft someone new, and ends up as Big Ben’s replacement or something? There are lots of other outcomes on the board for Darnold of course but people are acting like he’s Rosen 2.0 or something. 

Grabbed him (and Glennon) Sunday morning in a superflex where I lost Dak, Trubisky, and Haskins. I need a starter to cover Burrow's bye week. Let the lunacy begin! 🌜

Grabbed him Sunday morning and traded him Monday for a middle to late 2nd round pick to an owner that needed a qb this week..
I tried that with Drew Lock and a third to an owner that needed a QB. Flat rejected and then he couldn't start a QB against me. Tank. Tank. Tank.

The Jaguars are expected to “throw downfield more” with Jake Luton.

Jaguars.com's John Oehser notes Luton “has a better arm” than Gardner Minshew and “looked good enough in training camp to make you believe there's a chance he could play well.” Luton’s 85th percentile throw velocity was behind only Jacob Eason and Steven Montez in this year’s class, and he rarely turns it over, posting a career 42:11 TD/INT ratio in 20 Pac-12 starts The Jaguars still seem likely to go run heavy in his debut, but there’s some big play upside to Luton as a DFS punt against a Texans secondary that’s allowed the fourth most passing touchdowns in the league.

SOURCE: jaguars.com

Nov 4, 2020, 10:47 AM ET

I watched pretty much every college snap (I'm a Beaver)......he's got a good, accurate deep ball.  He's not very mobile at all, although he did seem to become more so his last season....still, against NFL speed, you don't want him scrambling around too much.  I don't think the moment will be too big, he overcame a lot in college, and always stepped up.......his success, or downfall will be whether or not he gets good protection, and how he handles the NFL game speed.   Getting Robinson going would help obviously, but this is a pretty bad team.....I'd say the deck is stacked against him

in on Luton out of desperation. here is the first video that popped up in YouTube, all 29 TD's from his 2019 campaign. it sickened me to watch so many TD's against UCLA. but after i got over that, some observations:

• he can hit a wide open receiver downfield, so already an upgrade from Minshew.
  • the first couple TD's in the video are clearly forced into a window he wouldn't get away with in the NFL and his receivers bail him out. but the throw itself looks to be right on target to where he wanted to throw it, as ill-advised as they may be.
  • nice, tight spiral on his long balls. If this is all of his TD's, i didn't see any ducks.
  • thanks for the insight, @Manster. It doesn't look like he has any problem with mobility from a physicality perspective, so I assume you mean he's just not good outside the pocket.

in on Luton out of desperation. here is the first video that popped up in YouTube, all 29 TD's from his 2019 campaign. it sickened me to watch so many TD's against UCLA. but after i got over that, some observations:

• he can hit a wide open receiver downfield, so already an upgrade from Minshew.
  • the first couple TD's in the video are clearly forced into a window he wouldn't get away with in the NFL and his receivers bail him out. but the throw itself looks to be right on target to where he wanted to throw it, as ill-advised as they may be.
  • nice, tight spiral on his long balls. If this is all of his TD's, i didn't see any ducks.
  • thanks for the insight, @Manster. It doesn't look like he has any problem with mobility from a physicality perspective, so I assume you mean he's just not good outside the pocket.
He's just not super athletic, or fleet of foot........I'd say he's pretty much a prototypical pocket passer.....extending plays with his feet prolly won't be a strength.

Wondering if I should drop Dwelley for him. Just trying to figure out who wuld be the better long shot for my dynasty team. I don't NEED a TE or a QB...

Wondering if I should drop Dwelley for him. Just trying to figure out who wuld be the better long shot for my dynasty team. I don't NEED a TE or a QB...
Luton would have to be the second coming of Joe Montana himself for him to be a safe bet long term IMHO. And by long term I mean beyond this week. Not just because he's an unknown and not of a top draft pedigree, but more so because this franchise will be a different team potentially every year for awhile. If you don't need a QB right now, there's gotta be a better prospect on your waiver. This is a desperation bye week fill until further notice.

Is anyone else in a position where they might/have to start Luton this week. If had to pick him up, and might have to start him in a Superflex league (Dak owner & Stafford owner)

Is anyone else in a position where they might/have to start Luton this week. If had to pick him up, and might have to start him in a Superflex league (Dak owner & Stafford owner)
I have him in a superflex as my only QB2 option, but it's not a mandatory 2QB. Other options would be guys like Hasty, Antonio Brown, Lamb, Preston, Ebron. QB is generally a no-brainer for this slot but a rookie QB in his first start has a floor below zero - especially with Mike Glennon in the wings.

Houston D isn't exactly world-beaters so that makes it a bit less worrisome. If Aaron Jones can't go tonight I'm more likely to plug him in.

Watched a ton of this guy play throughout college.  He's probably the least mobile QB there is, and I wouldn't say he's the smartest QB in terms of reads and composure.  But he has all the physical tools you want in a pocket passer and a good arm.  Excited for him.

Dude, you are?  No ####!  I'm a huge Beavs fan and go to multiple games a year.  You still go there?
Hell yes!  My dad and I have baseball season tix and I go to a handful of football and basketball games yearly......my wife and I are both alum

Hell yes!  My dad and I have baseball season tix and I go to a handful of football and basketball games yearly......my wife and I are both alum
Amazing, never thought I'd bond with a Cowboys fan haha. Have been to at least 1 football game a year there for the last 15 or so years and own a ton of beavs gear. This is a rough game right now, ive got it streaming. 

Amazing, never thought I'd bond with a Cowboys fan haha. Have been to at least 1 football game a year there for the last 15 or so years and own a ton of beavs gear. This is a rough game right now, ive got it streaming. 
Yea I thought we'd come out better both sides of the ball.......waking up now, but may be too late.

Jake Luton completed 26-of-38 passes for 304 yards with a touchdown and an interception and rushed for a 13-yard touchdown in his debut against the Texans.

Luton hit D.J. Chark for a 73-yard touchdown on his second pass of the game. He targeted Chark a team-high 12 times, and took more chances downfield than Gardner Minshew, averaging 8.0 YPA. Luton had Jacksonville in position to tie after he scored a rushing TD late, but he couldn't convert the two-point conversion.   There were some overthrows and passes deflected at the line of scrimmage from Luton, but this was an impressive first start. Luton gets a matchup with the Packers in Week 10.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked him up yesterday morning in a redraft superflex just in case, he looked good enough to me to be Superflex worthy.  Couple bombs a game to Chark or Laviska is enough upside Jags should ride with him for a while. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said Jake Luton is "likely" to start again in Week 10 against the Packers.

Marrone already mentioned last week that there's "no guarantee" Gardner Minshew (thumb) would start again even if he's able to return. Luton impressively hit D.J. Chark in stride for a 73-yard touchdown on Sunday's opening play but averaged 6.2 yards per attempt with a pick on 37 other throws. The Packers also offer a much tougher challenge than the Texans, which has allowed the 10th-most fantasy points per game to enemy quarterbacks. Perhaps Luton will flash more rushing upside in Week 10, giving him a higher floor moving forward.

SOURCE: John Oehser on Twitter

Nov 9, 2020, 1:36 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread