What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Election General*** (1 Viewer)

Just in case anyone is wondering, 124k cases of COVID today, and over a thousand deaths.  COVID did not magically disappear.
DC reporter Aaron Rupar all in one day

Celebrates the mass gathering for Biden.  Rips on the Notre Dame students for celebrating their Clemson win.  When called out for being a hypocrite doubles down and claims there were masks on at the White House celebration but not Notre Dame.   Pictures clearly show most Notre Dame fans wearing masks.   :lmao:

But the media isn't a problem in this country when they want to push their own personal politics.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1325318853837123585

When it comes down to it, Trump's base is still politically conservative, right? They won't go to the Democrats en masse. I would bet a lot that they won't vote third party in numbers ("in numbers" meaning "what Ross Perot got in 1992"). I would bet some stay home and kind of drop out of politics for a few cycles, but will that be an election-affecting number?

So what's left? 80% or better of Trump's current voters continue voting Republican, right?
I think Trump pulled segments of voters who like what many would consider non-standard conservative policies and even more so they like how abrasive he was and his “outsider” persona.  I don’t believe for a second Tom Cotton or Nicky Haley bring in those folks without changing who they are as a person.

One of the biggest changes for me, that I am looking forward to, is not having the health of our nation measured against the performance of the stock market. 

Im not saying the stock market isn’t important, I’m saying I don’t want to measure our nations success against it. 

Celebrates the mass gathering for Biden.  Rips on the Notre Dame students for celebrating their Clemson win.  When called out for being a hypocrite doubles down and claims there were masks on at the White House celebration but not Notre Dame.   Pictures clearly show most Notre Dame fans wearing masks.   :lmao:

But the media isn't a problem in this country when they want to push their own personal politics.

Are you equating one DC reporter to "the media"?

Can we stop this stuff?  Picking out one person or one example does NOT represent an entire side or entity. 

The large gathering at the White House, if without masks, is dangerous.  Same goes for Notre Dame.

The names you want to keep an eye on are Noem, Scott, Haley, Hawley, Cotton, DeSantis and Pence...right now it will come from that group...the Trump family angle is a complete wish for the dems, aint gonna happen...
Nobody in that list has Trumps personality and unless Trump supports one of them then there are a lot of his current base That will just sit the next one out.  And that’s assuming Trump doesn’t run again.

As someone on the right I think you will see 100% of GOP voters fully engaged going forward and voting that way...I have never seen more paying attention...the GOP has some very intriguing candidates for 2024 and if one of them has even a little bit of a Reagan vibe  the enthusiasm will go thru the roof as I do think while many voted for Trump having a more mature candidate will be a huge relief.
But what was the “Reagan vibe”? IMO the key to it was optimism. He was one of those leaders who made us feel better about ourselves. 
I’ve been to the Reagan Library 3 times. I always cry, I’m not ashamed to say I loved the man. He wasn’t without flaws and he had many political positions that I do not share. But he was a great man who lifted us up. 
Ronald Reagan was the opposite of Donald Trump. I certainly hope you’re right that there’s another Reagan type in the GOP waiting to emerge. I haven’t seen it. 

Nobody in that list has Trumps personality and unless Trump supports one of them then there are a lot of his current base That will just sit the next one out.  And that’s assuming Trump doesn’t run again.
Keep in mind, that if one or more of the Trump kin runs, and gets booted from the primaries, I guarantee the winner will NOT get support from Donald. And I actually believe he’d actively undermine the GOP candidate because of it. He really is that petty.

Keep in mind, that if one or more of the Trump kin runs, and gets booted from the primaries, I guarantee the winner will NOT get support from Donald. And I actually believe he’d actively undermine the GOP candidate because of it. He really is that petty.
There is also the distinct possibility that Donald Trump himself will run for President again. 

Many will f up what they need to know...for all his warts the one (and only IMO) thing a GOP voter wants copied is that the candidate will not backdown from the left and will fight for them...that is it, everything else Trump did can be swept aside...if the  candidate can do that but in a far classier and dignified manner you have a chance to be the next Reagan which so many on the right have been hoping for.
I'm trying to figure out it it's possible to give the illusion of not backing down from the left and fighting for them to the degree that Trump has while also doing it in a far classier and dignified manner. 

I have no idea it's possible, but my gut says no. 

I think part of the special love for Trump is the degree that he angered liberals, and I think that's very similar to "not backing down from the left". And a large reason he angered the left so much was the lack of class and dignity. 

Many will f up what they need to know...for all his warts the one (and only IMO) thing a GOP voter wants copied is that the candidate will not backdown from the left and will fight for them...that is it, everything else Trump did can be swept aside...if the  candidate can do that but in a far classier and dignified manner you have a chance to be the next Reagan which so many on the right have been hoping for.
Gotta grade on the curve here, though, IMHO. "Compromise across the aisle and get some of what we want" is not an abject capitulation. That's responsible government.

It should both be OK and desired for the parties to compromise with frequency.

The names you want to keep an eye on are Noem, Scott, Haley, Hawley, Cotton, DeSantis and Pence...right now it will come from that group...the Trump family angle is a complete wish for the dems, aint gonna happen...Pompeo is a non-entity with GOP voters...Cruz does have some qualities that are appealing to the right but like Newt Gingrich it does not play to this level...the Tucker talk is comical, he will be content being the biggest voice in media, he is not gonna run for President...as for a third party candidate I think there is a better chance that a progressive from Squad-world has a bigger impact then someone from the GOP.
Hawley and Cotton were the two I had in mind when I said a younger, clean-cut, better-spoken Trump-lite types, people who will run with "Trumpism" and could do very well.  They're positioning themselves for future presidential runs for sure.

I'm trying to figure out it it's possible to give the illusion of not backing down from the left and fighting for them to the degree that Trump has while also doing it in a far classier and dignified manner. 

I have no idea it's possible, but my gut says no. 

I think part of the special love for Trump is the degree that he angered liberals, and I think that's very similar to "not backing down from the left". And a large reason he angered the left so much was the lack of class and dignity. 
I said this during the 2016 primary and there is no one that can convince me differently...Trump's main appeal back then was his willingness to take on political correctness and the DC establishment...if this can be done without going off the rails you will have a very formidable candidate.

Can we stop this stuff?  Picking out one person or one example does NOT represent an entire side or entity. 

The large gathering at the White House, if without masks, is dangerous.  Same goes for Notre Dame.
It's another example of the media pushing their personal politics but doing so in a dishonest way.  You can brush it off as one guy if you want.  But mostly just showing why many don't trust the media and why many feel Covid is a joke.

Georgia just slipped in a few thousand ballots a few minutes ago. Biden's lead up to 10,195 now.

By my calculation, there should be just a few hundred ballots remaining, not including overseas ballots (which were due yesterday).
More god news: GA just posted another tranche though I fear the conspiracy theorists may take issue as 100% of this tranche went to Biden...100%!!!

Biden's lead is now 10,196

I'll let you all do the math :)

Two female Presidential nominees in 2024 would definitely be pretty cool to see. Would be interesting to see if it ended up suppressing the vote as a certain demographic sits out because they won’t vote for a female President.

It's another example of the media pushing their personal politics but doing so in a dishonest way.  You can brush it off as one guy if you want.  But mostly just showing why many don't trust the media and why many feel Covid is a joke.
It's not that hard - get your info from a better place.  

I agree with gianmarco, that is stuff that we as a country need to get better at.  If we all got together, had some beverages and talked, we would have more of a common ground than in portrayed or in the public consciousness.   But instead we get riled up and make statements like Trump = "the right",  AOC = "the left",  one reporter = "the media", etc, etc.   Let's get better at putting this into context and not making blanket statements of "sides" just because of a couple people.  

Just to add an isolated data point:

I was driving around for about a half-hour last night listening to the CNN channel on SiriusXM. I think that XM channel is just an audio feed of what CNN is showing on television. They frequently reference videos and graphics as if the audience can see them.

Anyway, whoever was hosting for CNN was discussing the various Biden celebrations. The host went on, over and over and over, about how irresponsible it was for people to be out whooping it up without masks on. I'm sure someone from on high made sure the CNN hosts emphasized that point as something of a rhetorical CYA measure, but still. The guys was just really hammering on the "gotta wear masks!" point to the point of contrivance. He was correct, yes -- but he belabored the point.

This was at roughly 7:25 - 7:50 EST last night if anyone was watching CNN's coverage and can corroborate.

This is entirely anecdotal, but while casually paying attention while my wife switched back and forth between CNN and MSNBC the other night, I noticed just about every time they showed and talked about the celebrations, they prefaced their otherwise positive comments with things like, "I wish there were more masks being worn" or "they could be distancing more in this time of pandemic."  

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the media in a post-Trump era.  They incinerated much of their credibility during the past four years, but some of that has nothing to do with Trump.  When you give these guys access to Twitter and they're forced to use it as part of their job, you realize how many of them are just run-of-the-mill tools.  For example, it's kind of hard to believe that Dan Rather was ever held in high regard, but it makes sense when you consider that we only knew him in the 1980s as a network anchor -- you never got to peak behind the curtain to see the inner tool.  Now it's easy to see how many journalists fall into this category.

I mean one is celebrating a monumental event in recent American history and the other is a dumb football game. I wouldn’t be at either but one is a whole lot more understandable. 

But what was the “Reagan vibe”? IMO the key to it was optimism. He was one of those leaders who made us feel better about ourselves. 
I’ve been to the Reagan Library 3 times. I always cry, I’m not ashamed to say I loved the man. He wasn’t without flaws and he had many political positions that I do not share. But he was a great man who lifted us up. 
Ronald Reagan was the opposite of Donald Trump. I certainly hope you’re right that there’s another Reagan type in the GOP waiting to emerge. I haven’t seen it. 
Reagan's popularity was a cult of personality but to say he was some model is a joke.  The war on drugs directly led to the poverty situation we find ourselves in today.  The energy policy during his administration bankrupted whole sections of the country, some areas never really recovered.  His absurd defense spending when there wasn't a single threat in sight continues to this day, unabated to the point that there are gasps if you even think about leaving things where they are.  I find it hard to understand what exactly people like about the guy that they want duplicated.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also the distinct possibility that Donald Trump himself will run for President again. 
I 100% am convinced he will.... or at least constantly talk like he is on whatever far-right media platform he creates/obtains. If anything, to keep his brand in the spotlight and to keep the coffers filled.

One interesting thing that is being overlooked, is Biden and McConnell were quite good friends back in the pre Trump days.  In fact, McConnel might have been considered his best friend in the Senate prior to running as VP.  On the day Biden left as VP he demanded to be the first to speak in his honor, out of turn, based on their close relationship formed over years.  

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4635624/user-clip-mitch-mcconnell-joe-biden

One of the biggest changes for me, that I am looking forward to, is not having the health of our nation measured against the performance of the stock market. 

Im not saying the stock market isn’t important, I’m saying I don’t want to measure our nations success against it. 
Which is funny because if that's the measure then our nation was never healthier than it was under clinton/Obama. 

As someone heavily involved in the markets the "but mah 401k" thing was always so funny to me. The market has basically been on a nearly 3 decade bull other than during W's recession. The market during Trump's term was nothing special in the modern era and actually lagged the market during Clinton/Obama's first term even before covid. Like most things, Trump just bragged about it louder and tried raking credit for. It. And that's before we account for the market performance speeding up massively in clinton/Obama's second term. 

Clinton: +210%

Obama: +180%

Trump: +44%

TrUmP iS a StOnKs GeNiUs It WiLl CrAsH wItH a DeMoCrAt

It's weird not waiting around anticipating the next set of ballot results to come in. I think I'm going through withdrawal.
I hear there are groups to help with that. Probably somebody like Political Junkies Anonymous, which is totally a thing I didn't just make up. I hereby declare it to be a thing

Nikki Haley is exactly the kind of person that I have in mind.  She's bright, articulate, and looks the part -- you might be rolling your eyes at listing those features as distinguishing qualifications for the presidency but compare/contrast with Trump and she's already ahead of the game.  She has strong ties to Trump and is one of the few people who actually seemed to do a pretty good job in his administration.  She's been around long enough that she's been vetted and is probably as ready as anybody for the bright lights, but she's also not so well-known that she can't recreate herself as a Trumpist without having it look all ridiculous.  (Try to imagine Jeb! arguing for the wall).   

If I were going to make a predication about the 2024 GOP nominee sitting here right now, Haley or somebody similar is what I would expect to see. 
I see according Wikipedia that Haley is or was a member of the new conservative social website Parler where they are allowed to share debunked conspiracy theories without any fact checking. If she still belongs count me out. I think you should include Sen Sasse to the list of those to keep an eye on.

... and Trump is golfing again?  We need to begin the leadership transition.  Our country is averaging about 125,000 new Covid cases and close to 1,200 deaths every day.  Rome ...Nero...

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Mr. Pickles said:
Noem. That’s adorable. 
I caught part of this and all I can say is this whole talking head providing the same unsubstantiated claims ad nauseam isn’t gonna cut it. 

Nobody is saying it’s the right thing to do, but things aren’t just apples to apples in the real world. 
I get what you're saying but for  most of 2020 all we've heard is Trump guys don't care about killing people because of large gatherings etc....   When it's to celebrate Biden defeating Trump here come all the excuses about why it's not the same.  Certainly those celebrating without social distancing don't care about killing people exactly the same amount as Trump guys, right?

My lady and I went to a wildlife area yesterday. Backed my car up to a lake and we sat on the back, drank wine, listened to the radio, and talked. At dusk I dribbled off those Bobby Brooks and we did what animals do. 

Woke up this morning slightly hungover but joy in my heart.  It has been so long since I've woken up and my first thoughts weren't "God, I wonder what he is going to do today".  

Today I'm going to drink some beers, watch football and my kids rake leaves. 

Peace and love all. Peace and love. 

My lady and I went to a wildlife area yesterday. Backed my car up to a lake and we sat on the back, drank wine, listened to the radio, and talked. At dusk I dribbled off those Bobby Brooks and we did what animals do. 

Woke up this morning slightly hungover but joy in my heart.  It has been so long since I've woken up and my first thoughts weren't "God, I wonder what he is going to do today".  

Today I'm going to drink some beers, watch football and my kids rake leaves. 

Peace and love all. Peace and love. 
:useless:

... and Trump is golfing again?  We need to begin the leadership transition.  Our country is averaging about 125,000 new Covid cases and close to 1,200 deaths every day.  Rome ...Nero...
I keep hoping Biden somehow gets a message to Trump that he and his staff will start working on Covid now behind the scenes and give all the credit for improvement to Trump.

Yesterday was a remarkable day in our nations history. Simply remarkable. 

So happy we are going to be moving forward in 2021. Just a huge sigh of relief the world took yesterday.

I have been lurking here and reading the past month while I was on a vacation from this forum. 

The election was simply mindblowing. The turnout, historical. 

Democracy won. Simple as that. Democracy prevailed regardless of what candidate you voted for. And that is what can never be lost nor stressed enough about it. 

This is the essence of what makes our country the greatest in the world. And the example of our soon to be ex-President and the rhetoric that came out of his mouth on Wednesday night was simply horrific and extremely dangerous. It cannot be stressed enough. 

I was talking to my son as all this was unfolding, and using this as a vital and critical teaching moment about why it was so dangerous and what the ramifications of such rhetoric can lead to. 

Have we not learned from history? 

Anyway.....as an American and a registered Republican I could not be happier with the 2020 election results.

And that should tell you something. 

Unity

Dignity

Grace

Class

Respect

Empathy

Hope

Science

Truth

Decency 

Compassion

This was what this election result reflects as the will of our country.

God Bless America. 

Users who are viewing this thread