What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Election General*** (2 Viewers)

:hifive:

And I may kill that by saying that I desperately want Biden/Harris to win, but as a lifelong conservative, I understand people's grievances with that sort of thing. From the ages of 17-27 I, in both my academic pursuits and work, dealt with sneering liberals and self-assured politicos of the leftist stripe and saw the potential for smaller town America to break really red, regardless of self-interest. The phrase that sums up liberal condescension best was embodied in one book's rhetorical question: What's The Matter With Kansas? Insisting that these people were voting against their own good, the authors proceeded to write a book trying to understand the root cause of the dissonance between people's policy preferences and their voting habits.

I never read the book but the question itself brought about the obvious observation that if you have to ask, you'll never know. They still haven't learned. 

That said, this election is not over. 
A non-billionaire but just as well-known Trump could have run against wealth-pretention/condescension mindset in this country and won in a landslide.  There is a real resentment from the middle-class and lower toward those who see themselves as entitled to "rule" imo.  Maybe start a 5 Figure party?

Which polls are you using? RCP had Biden +0.9 in Florida and +5 in Nebraska CD 2, and 538 had Biden +0.9 in Georgia and +1.7 in North Carolina — all of which went to Trump.
270 to win uses a broad average of state polls

all of the numbers you quoted are within margin of error and thus considered Toss Up

It seems they were way over exposed on a Trump win, freaked out based on early returns, and needed to slow that down and juice more action on Biden for a couple hours. 

Books will get murderer playing this game.  Smart people have locked in a profit regardless of outcome.

It seems they were way over exposed on a Trump win, freaked out based on early returns, and needed to slow that down and juice more action on Biden for a couple hours. 

Betonline.com hasn't even hidden this as true earlier today. 80% of their bets/$ on Trump.  So I am sure they were welcoming Joe $ tonight.

I truly think the way our Governor (Michigan) handled the pandemic cost Biden the state. She thought she was helping him, but the majority got tired of her stance and I feel a lot of the votes for Trump were votes against her. 
Spot on.  I shared the same thing with a friend of mine (about Wisconsin) tonight.  Lots of people don’t want the govt telling them what to do.

Which polls are you using? RCP had Biden +0.9 in Florida and +5 in Nebraska CD 2, and 538 had Biden +0.9 in Georgia and +1.7 in North Carolina — all of which went to Trump.
I assume he's not counting something as a flip if it was within the margin of error? I don't know. I've kind of been wondering that as well.

So who wins the 269-269 tie? Probably Trump due to the small state advantage?
Depends on the House makeup, but probably Trump.

(The House would vote on a state-by-state basis, not on a Rep-by-Rep basis. And right now the Republicans have a 26-23 advantage in that category, with one state -- Pennsylvania -- being tied. So, the Democrats would need to flip at least 2 states to control the Presidential vote.)

There was a chance of getting Kamala Harris as Trump's VP, but that won't happen if the Republicans hold the Senate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Faithless elector voting for Biden would be a textbook example of why we have the electoral college procedure. To protect the educated from the uneducated masses.

Michigan is nowhere near being decided. 
Is Michigan continuing to count through the night, or are they stopping?

More generally ... looking at the AP's map and trying to figure out how many pink states are legitimately in play for Biden due to mail-in vote counts over the next few days.

And before people take that wrong, this is an almost historic divide between the educated and those without college degrees, and their support is as you would imagine. 

GOP guys saying that the Fox call for Arizona was too soon.  No idea if this is true.
AP says Biden with an 8% lead with 74% of precincts reporting in AZ. I guess it depends on where the outstanding votes are. Anyone know if Maricopa County (Phoenix metro) is finished counting yet?

AP says Biden with an 8% lead with 74% of precincts reporting in AZ. I guess it depends on where the outstanding votes are. Anyone know if Maricopa County (Phoenix metro) is finished counting yet?
My local news is saying no. There are some rural counties as well and some late in person voting across the state. 

So? I would challenge the assertion that having a college degree makes you educated.

In other words..."No good. I've known too many Spaniards."
Would you really like an IQ test to determine it, then.

People with just high school degrees and those without high school degrees when everything is controlled for went overwhelmingly for Trump.

Faithless elector voting for Biden would be a textbook example of why we have the electoral college procedure. To protect the educated from the uneducated masses.
Are there known to be repurcussions against faithless electors? I assume that person is toast in their state party apparatus. Anything else? Lost business? Kicked off boards? Loss of status in community?

Kind of surprising faithless electoral votes aren't cast just a smidge more often. There were several in 2016, though.

Uneducated voters broke heavily for Trump. That is not a debatable point, really. A faithless elector casting a vote for Biden would be the exact check on popular democracy the Founders foresaw.
I like you, Rock, but this is gross. 

I mean it when I say that having a college degree doesn't necessarily make one educated. Conversely, not having a degree doesn't make one ignorant to the point that their vote shouldn't count.

Users who are viewing this thread