Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official 2020 Election General***

12 minutes ago, beef said:

No idea.  I just figured the former Prez and VP are there out of respect, courtesy and all part of the show.  Like a Military unit change of command.   

Totally agree. The peaceful transfer of power is a big deal. Just thinking of events in the past that a POTUS would usually attend that he was not only not invited but specifically told to stay away. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been a lifelong Republican who never voted for Trump in either election (so no guilt here).  I voted Biden, which was my first time ever voting for a Democrat. I’m proud to be an American right n

Tommy Nyman  @Tombiznar Who would have thought 2 men in their 70s could maintain an election for this long?

As this goes on you can see the hard work and seriousness with which everyone in the government is taking the process and how dedicated they are to being transparent and accurate. Except for one perso

23 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Ok maybe I am wrong. I thought they usually greeted the new President and then left (basically flown out of DC on last ride in air force 1) but maybe I am wrong. 

They almost always attend.  The famous case where the outgoing President did not attend was Andrew Johnson to Grant's inauguration (over 150 years ago). It often includes not just the immediate predecessor, but other Presidents (Obama, Clinton (including Hillary), George W. Bush, and Carter all attended Trump's).  I'm not sure if you remember at Trump's inauguration where George W. Bush was overheard to remark "that was some weird ****." 

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Things that should be unsettling to EVERYONE..."35,000 Ballots being sorted by hand" WTF?!

I agree.  I fully understand that there is no actual fraud going on.  Having said that, it is insane that it takes this long for states to count what is really a fairly small number of ballots.  Especially when some states seem to have no particular reason for not getting their ballots counted other than "We can't be arsed with this sort of thing."  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, moleculo said:

(1) yes you are.  the votes being counted now are, as far as I know, mail in ballots.  These all must be opened and inspected by hand.

(2)  when one party was actively telling their constituents that (i) COVID is no big deal, no reason to not vote in person and (ii) mail in ballots are the devil, it make complete sense that the mail in ballots are heavily weighed towards the other side.

(3) are you advocating the government regulating what can and cannot be said by the media?  that sounds a bit...unAmerican to me.

You don't have to answer these questions(observations) but it sure seems odd that 90-100% of mail in ballots in some areas are all 1 Party, that seems suspicious vs all the other votes. You could understand why some folks might pause and think "scam" for a hot minute. I'm not saying it's fraudulent but you are asking folks to feel really good when mail in ballots show u in large numbers for just one party...again this isn't a debate, it's emotion and we can just leave it at that for right now. 

I don't understand #2, that's fine. 

#3 is a great question and one I could enjoy discussing at a later time, just not in the moment right now. Hope every thing is going well for you and your family, I'm just trying to keep moving ahead and figure out when i can safely take a vacation. does one really need a vacation to escape the hell of Palm Beach and the Treasure Coast? I do pinch myself once in a while how good I have it even in these times right now. 

And the weather just started to turn a little here, 90+ degrees seems to have gone away for a few months. 

Cheers!

Just now, IvanKaramazov said:

I agree.  I fully understand that there is no actual fraud going on.  Having said that, it is insane that it takes this long for states to count what is really a fairly small number of ballots.  Especially when some states seem to have no particular reason for not getting their ballots counted other than "We can't be arsed with this sort of thing."  

Nevada is a great example of this.  Why aren't they done?  

1 minute ago, Ministry of Pain said:

You don't have to answer these questions(observations) but it sure seems odd that 90-100% of mail in ballots in some areas are all 1 Party, that seems suspicious vs all the other votes. You could understand why some folks might pause and think "scam" for a hot minute. I'm not saying it's fraudulent but you are asking folks to feel really good when mail in ballots show u in large numbers for just one party...again this isn't a debate, it's emotion and we can just leave it at that for right now. 

#3 is a great question and one I could enjoy discussing at a later time, just not in the moment right now. Hope every thing is going well for you and your family, I'm just trying to keep moving ahead and figure out when i can safely take a vacation. does one really need a vacation to escape the hell of Palm Beach and the Treasure Coast? I do pinch myself once in a while how good I have it even in these times right now. 

And the weather just started to turn a little here, 90+ degrees seems to have gone away for a few months. 

Cheers!

It should be mentioned that Trump outright proclaimed that mail in ballots shouldn't be trusted, so the lack of Trump votes by that avenue is not surprising. Why would his supporters use a way to vote that he deemed untrustworthy?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

So are we expecting any news today or should I zone out for the day?

Saw this on the 538 blog...

Some quick live-blog housekeeping, dear readers. Today we’re watching (like everyone else in the world): Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona and Nevada. Here’s what we think will happen in terms of timing:

Philadelphia City Commissioners will give an update on the mail-in ballot count at around 9 a.m., we’ll be here to cover that.

Georgia is still counting votes, and Trump’s lead there has narrowed to less that 20,000. We’re hopeful to get more votes there throughout the morning, but … 🤷

Nevada is expected to announce more results beginning at 12 p.m. ET.

Finally, Arizona, too, is still counting votes and Trump is cutting into Biden’s lead there. We expect Maricopa County to report more votes at 9 p.m. ET, and some more Pima County results this evening.

The upshot of all this is that we expect things to be busy today, with some possible lulls (between 10-12, for example). But honestly, we’re not totally sure and will be standing by in case counts start updating at any time. Stay tuned!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Agree this absurd.  GA, PA and AZ are a joke as they should all be done.  Tricking in votes like they do is crazy.  Nevada should have been done yesterday - they are taking a nice leisurely pace of it but at least they will do it all at once.  

Cheers!

it's been largely assumed for some time that mail in ballots would skew heavily democratic.  This shouldn't shock anyone.  There are completely rational and reasonable reasons why, and that skew has been consistent nation wide (as far as I have seen).  

I'm absolutely sure some people will call shananigans...that's human nature.  Some people call shananigans on the "earth is round" bit too.  That doesn't make their point valid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I think you and I see things similar even if we don't vote the same. I just wanted this to be decisive and it's so far removed from that, I can see the writing on the wall, allow legal process with the ball eventually being handed to Biden, I got it. But that scenario cannot in any way heal anything as we move forward. 

Every action has a reaction, I might remind folks how Trump rose to popularity to begin with. 

One question i cannot figure out is where does the GOP go after Trump is ousted from office? They can't possibly thin a Marco Rubio like candidate is going to win a National Election, seems an impossibility because I promise you a ton of these folks voting for Trump have no allegiance to the GOP, that party is DOA going forward int he White House unless they stick to this game plan and try and use a celebrity to win the nomination, that's essentially what happened. 

6 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Cheers!

Not sure you quite understand how much Donald Trump is utterly hated in the big cities.  Honestly, shocked any votes for Trump in certain areas.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kal El said:

It should be mentioned that Trump outright proclaimed that mail in ballots shouldn't be trusted, so the lack of Trump votes by that avenue is not surprising. Why would his supporters use a way to vote that he deemed untrustworthy?

100% all one Party though is totally unbelievable, even 80-90% seems way off. I have no idea what you are talking about with these news clips, his folks read Twitter and even have stopped using Fox for any news. His peeps march to a different beat, they just do. 

5 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I can think of lots of reasons why it might take longer than expected for the mail-in ballots.

1. Fewer volunteers than normal due to COVID
  2. Some locales may be taking precautions with sanitizer and other COVID protocols
  3. They have to be opened by hand
  4. They can only be opened when a Dem and GOP poll watcher are present
  5. The various state-level protocols for validating the ballot need to be performed (e.g. signature match, double-check address, etc.)
  6. Most ballots probably get challenged by one of the poll watchers, which then requires a referee of sorts to deal with it

I could easily see 10 minutes per ballot, without considering bathroom breaks, food breaks, and social distancing issues.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This would all be instanteous if online voting was permitted. But it's not so I don't see how our current status of things could have been this unexpected. 

2 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

100% all one Party though is totally unbelievable, even 80-90% seems way off. I have no idea what you are talking about with these news clips, his folks read Twitter and even have stopped using Fox for any news. His peeps march to a different beat, they just do. 

80%+ is completely believable in democratic areas when the conservative candidate told people voting for him not to use mail in ballots.

Where do you see 100%?  As far as I'm aware this only happened as a counting error in Michigan where someone fat fingered a number while entering it and corrected it about 5 seconds later but someone grabbed a screenshot in the interim.  There was a much smaller than first implied batch of 100% Biden but that came right after a batch that was 100% Trump as they'd taken one of the lots and divided it into two stacks sorted by candidate before entering the results.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 2

We have enough posts that it seems the left on this board advocate 100% of ballots being for one Party as totally legitimate.

That's the way it reads, I don't have to quote ONE poster, it's a collective mind set. Got it.  

Huh?  Results out of Philly are like 90% Biden.  That seems totally legitimate.  There was one posting from MI that was basically all Biden but that seems to me to be a reporting error they fixed.  

Edited by Redwes25

You just explained why the first sentence likely happened with your last sentence. His supporters seem to take whatever he says as gospel, so the lack of mail in votes isn't surprising. 

5 minutes ago, moleculo said:

it's been largely assumed for some time that mail in ballots would skew heavily democratic.  This shouldn't shock anyone.  There are completely rational and reasonable reasons why, and that skew has been consistent nation wide (as far as I have seen).  

I'm absolutely sure some people will call shananigans...that's human nature.  Some people call shananigans on the "earth is round" bit too.  That doesn't make their point valid.

The number of folks calling the Earth round vs the number of people who voted for Trump...that's the comparison you just made my friend. I'll let you stand tall on that, no reason for debate. 

4 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

We have enough posts that it seems the left on this board advocate 100% of ballots being for one Party as totally legitimate.

That's the way it reads, I don't have to quote ONE poster, it's a collective mind set. Got it.  

Where is anyone getting this 100% for one candidate/party?

The Michigan thing (that was then repeated about Wisconsin too)?

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/nov/04/tweets/no-biden-did-not-receive-thousands-mysteriously-su/

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 1
Just now, Ministry of Pain said:

It's not 100%. Stop being ridiculous. 

And it's no different than watching certain rural areas go 90+% red.

50 states run elections independently. And many of those states are run by Republicans. And they are ALL seeing the same skew for mail in ballots. 

Enough with the baseless conspiracy theories, especially in this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

The recount in WI is a huge waste of time and resources and covid risky. 

The fact that the trump campaign will have to pay for it is at least somewhat comforting. 

I hope get that payment up front though...

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
15 minutes ago, shader said:

Nevada is a great example of this.  Why aren't they done?  

My semi-conspiracy theory is: with AZ having been called by Fox and AP, Nevada's 6 EC votes would give Biden 270 and the presidency so they want to be very very sure they are getting it right as they'll be under a microscope.  Obviously, none of us are counting on AZ as definitive, but it is surprising that neither Fox nor AP have backed away from their AZ calls of 24+ hours ago.  And fwiw, wasn't it Fox that prematurely called Florida in 2000...then everyone else called FL so as not to look foolish (how'd that work out?).  But my recollection is that is was Fox that made the FIRST FL call in 2000

Edited by Morton Muffley
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
12 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Likely only matters to me, but my Nevada mail in ballot received by Clark County on October 23rd, still has not been counted. It's a machine ballot and does not need to be hand counted. Seems a little absurd, no?

Yes.  NV is a bit of an embarrassment, can’t we all agree?

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

It's not 100%. Stop being ridiculous. 

And it's no different than watching certain rural areas go 90+% red.

50 states run elections independently. And many of those states are run by Republicans. And they are ALL seeing the same skew for mail in ballots. 

Enough with the baseless conspiracy theories, especially in this thread.

Yes.  And yes.  And yes.

Just now, Ministry of Pain said:

"SHUT UP MOP!"

It's not hard to get a bunch of folks simultaneously quoiting me in here. 

Got it, enjoy the rest of the day everyone. 

Cheers!

Nah, you’re good. Just realize this isn’t your Facebook feed. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

"SHUT UP MOP!"

Cheers!

I mean you're making a pretty stark claim about fraud all bordering around this made-up notion of places coming in 100% Biden while being unwilling to provide any actual example of that.

The only one that anyone else is aware of even possibly existing is the Michigan one but that was already explained and EVEN TRUMP walked that one back and deleted his tweet about it.

Even too crazy for Trump.  But not MOP, apparently.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 2

"SHUT UP MOP!"

Cheers!

Pizza math tends to get rational people riled up. :shrug: 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Just now, rickroll said:

please don’t ruin this thread

Yeah, I agree. It's been super clean and Joe expressed his gratitude. Let's not ruin that. 

• Like 1

"SHUT UP MOP!"

Cheers!

I mean if you’re gonna post baseless conspiracy theories you have to expect people to check you on those. Don’t whine about it, this isn’t Facebook, Uncle Marty. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

"SHUT UP MOP!"

Cheers!

Honestly, I think the responses have been the exact opposite of "Shut up MoP!"  They are earnest attempts to engage in real discussion.  Most asked questions.  Here's another question:

In a Democrat leaning area, in an election where the GOP leader specifically told his supporters NOT to vote by mail, why wouldn't you expect the vast majority of mail-in ballots to be for Biden?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

"SHUT UP MOP!"

Cheers!

It's a "food of love" thing.

The ballots are in the oven at 450, MOP's gonna shut up and eat a straight line of pizza.... when we come back.... ANOTHER NOTCH !  STICK AROUND !!  DOC GIBBS.............

• Like 2
  • Laughing 6

I think this has been addressed already in here, but just in case...

WI only had 200k more total votes cast than in 2016. 

Population has grown about 60k. Voting was easier than ever and lots more people home without anything to do. 

Then of course the obvious increase in voter turnout everywhere. 

So this 89% stat still going around is a bunch of malarkey. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Emeril said:

It's a "food of love" thing.

The ballots are in the oven at 450, MOP's gonna shut up and eat a straight line of pizza.... when we come back.... ANOTHER NOTCH !  STICK AROUND !!  DOC GIBBS.............

Glad to see this one is back. 

• Like 1

It is great that voter turnout is at an all time high...obviously a big positive and I see it continuing as it should...on the flipside I think it would be a huge plus for such a polarized country if the full results were known on election day (it is election day not election week) and not dripping out like they currently are...with all the early voting and how easy it is to cast a vote now there should be an easy bi-partisan way to fix this by 2024...whatever side is on the losing side of what is going on now is gonna be unhappy with the optics of it and that is not healthy...figure this out, make a law that any type of voter fraud is punishable by a 10 year mandatory sentence with no chance of parole and we can move onto worrying about results and not the nonsense going on now.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think this has been addressed already in here, but just in case...

WI only had 200k more total votes cast than in 2016. 

Population has grown about 60k. Voting was easier than ever and lots more people home without anything to do. 

Then of course the obvious increase in voter turnout everywhere. 

So this 89% stat still going around is a bunch of malarkey. 

And FWIW the actual number is less than 89% and we won't know the true number until same day registrations are added up.

• Like 1