Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official 2020 Election General***

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been a lifelong Republican who never voted for Trump in either election (so no guilt here).  I voted Biden, which was my first time ever voting for a Democrat. I’m proud to be an American right n

Tommy Nyman  @Tombiznar Who would have thought 2 men in their 70s could maintain an election for this long?

As this goes on you can see the hard work and seriousness with which everyone in the government is taking the process and how dedicated they are to being transparent and accurate. Except for one perso

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

And in Australia. But we’re not them. Americans are disinterested in politics. It’s one of our strengths IMO. It’s what makes pluralism work. 

Of course I’m not talking about you or me or anyone else reading this. I’m a political junkie and most people in this forum fall somewhat into that category. But most Americans only tune in when they have to and the more folks that vote, the worse things are. 

Let me go further, as an admitted elitist: I don’t like it when people who normally don’t vote suddenly decide to do so, because they generally make uninformed decisions out of passion rather than reason. That’s why populism is so dangerous. 

You are an eye patch away from turning into a James Bond villian...

Edited by Boston
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

One exception being Utah, which I understand is almost entirely by mail and consistently delivers extremely trustworthy and completely non-fraudulent results.

I live in Utah and I was pretty blown away to find out the rest of the country doesn't do it like us.  Everything Trump was complaining about is how we've been doing it for 20 years and it's freaking easy and awesome.  We didn't even have true in-person voting this time.  It was all mail-in and ballot boxes.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Zow said:

I agree with your sentiment but: 

1. People are afraid of online voting. This would be the easiest and most efficient way yet, I suppose somewhat understandably, people remain wary of cyber attacks despite us doing a lot of other very important things online (e.g. filing taxes, now filing court pleadings, etc.). 

They should be afraid of online voting. Check out some of Schneier's other work on digital voting. We're a long way off.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Gr00vus said:

They should be afraid of online voting. Check out some of Schneier's other work on digital voting. We're a long way off.

Yeah I know that. I was more so just trying to point out that the arguably most efficient way isn't an option (the merits of why no relevant) so if we're going to both vote and count by hand it's going to be tedious. 

ETA: I wasn't trying to say that we should be voting online just yet. Although I do hope we get there.

Edited by Zow
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Yeah but half the country went out in record numbers to vote so life doesn't get worse with Biden.

The funny part things aren't going to significantly change, for the vast majority, of us regardless of who the President is.

10 minutes ago, Boston said:

I disagree (and I will continue with a partisan take which I feel very strongly about)...one thing I am very encouraged by is that many people have been woken up and will now be paying attention and because of this the Biden/Harris administration will be under a microscope like no other administration...if they do not produce they will not be able to spin it...IMO if they do not show dramatic results for the African American and Latino community the GOP will have a chance to change the electoral landscape in a way that could reverberate for generations...right now I feel a 1976 vibe and as someone on the right I am really energized for the future.

Serious question: assuming the GOP retains control of the Senate, how would there be any legislative results?  Are you OK with Biden issuing executive orders to progress his agenda?

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Rural Ohio lol

Oh, I'm close enough in a very red (65%) county.  I see the many many Trump flags...the home-made signs....the pickups with trailer-hitch nutz with attached Trump flags...the Facebook posts in our neighborhood news pages...the occasional confederate flag....

They haunt me.  I wake up in a sweat often.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Oh, I'm close enough in a very red (65%) county.  I see the many many Trump flags...the home-made signs....the pickups with trailer-hitch nutz with attached Trump flags...the Facebook posts in our neighborhood news pages...the occasional confederate flag....

They haunt me.  I wake up in a sweat often.

That’s rough man.  

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Zow said:

Yeah I know that. I was more so just trying to point out that the arguably most efficient way isn't an option (the merits of why no relevant) so if we're going to both vote and count by hand it's going to be tedious. 

Even if it takes a couple of weeks, the important thing is to get it right. Given that this is the first time we've had alternate voting mechanisms / processes used at this scale, I'd like to think people will learn from it and improve them the next time around.

1 minute ago, Sneegor said:

Looks like Trump will win Pennsylvania, Georgia and North Carolina and it all comes down to Nevada and Arizona.  Most likely Biden wins 270-268

Man I go away for like an hour, 6 pages later and Trump is now the favorite in PA?  I thought Biden was making up serious ground in PA to the point that he would easily overtake Trump.  Did something happen?

15 minutes ago, Zow said:

I agree with your sentiment but: 

1. People are afraid of online voting. This would be the easiest and most efficient way yet, I suppose somewhat understandably, people remain wary of cyber attacks despite us doing a lot of other very important things online (e.g. filing taxes, now filing court pleadings, etc.). 

2. People didn't want the early votes counted ahead of time because it could have impacted the election. I frankly agree with that. So, we're stuck with this process. 

3. Covid-19 has probably decreased the number of counters or slowed the process. I concede this is speculation by way but it seems reasonable to assume I think. 

4. This race is super close. We can't rush it. 

5. Unless it's a landslide, the losing side is almost certainly going to be upset and complain about a part of the process. 

My son worked 14 hours at a precinct Tuesday.   He processed 856 people.   Said he could have processed 4000 people if it were not for the covid protocols 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Man I go away for like an hour, 6 pages later and Trump is now the favorite in PA?  I thought Biden was making up serious ground in PA to the point that he would easily overtake Trump.  Did something happen?

Nothing changed in 6 hours.  Race is close in PA and Biden is picking up ground.

Just now, Rich Conway said:

Serious question: assuming the GOP retains control of the Senate, how would there be any legislative results?  Are you OK with Biden issuing executive orders to progress his agenda?

If it is legal he can do what he wants...

Overall, if it is commonsense stuff the GOP would be foolish not to work with him...I actually think they will score political points with it after the vitriol of the past four years...even if they do disagree I hope they do it in a mature manner and do not go postal but just state the facts of your opposition and let the American public decide whether they agree or disagree...no ripping up papers, calling people names or calls for some type of foolish resistance...that being said I truly believe Biden is nothing more then a figurehead and the far left is gonna be at the door looking to advance their agenda...but right now that is a fear and will have to see how it all unfolds.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

The recount in WI is a huge waste of time and resources and covid risky. 

The fact that the trump campaign will have to pay for it is at least somewhat comforting. 

They do have a great history paying their bills...

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

My son worked 14 hours at a precinct Tuesday.   He processed 856 people.   Said he could have processed 4000 people if it were not for the covid protocols 

Makes sense to me. 

Just now, Redwes25 said:
3 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Nothing changed in 6 hours.  Race is close in PA and Biden is picking up ground.

FWIW Nate Cohn (NYT) and Dave Wasserman (Cook Report) are both sticking with their "Biden will win PA, and it might be more like MI than WI" takes as of this morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Georgia with 61K outstanding ballots. That's a big difference and would push the odds to Biden, IMO.

Georgia's handling of this is horrific.  It looks shady.  I'm not saying it is, but they are creating that perception. They should be able to announce the exact number of ballots remaining to be counted.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

And in Australia. But we’re not them. Americans are disinterested in politics. It’s one of our strengths IMO. It’s what makes pluralism work. 

Of course I’m not talking about you or me or anyone else reading this. I’m a political junkie and most people in this forum fall somewhat into that category. But most Americans only tune in when they have to and the more folks that vote, the worse things are. 

Let me go further, as an admitted elitist: I don’t like it when people who normally don’t vote suddenly decide to do so, because they generally make uninformed decisions out of passion rather than reason. That’s why populism is so dangerous. 

And is actually one of the reasons the Electoral College was invented.  Everyone focuses on the states not getting screwed over on representation part, but another big part of it was that the founding father's didn't trust the American people to not be fooled by a populist conman so they didn't want them voting directly on the election.  In the ACTUAL electoral college (not this bastardized square peg round hole points system we use it as now) you didn't even vote on the actual presidential candidates, you voted for the electorates.  

1 minute ago, Redwes25 said:

Biden is going to pass Trump in GA/PA.  I'd bet he announces victory tonight.  Might do it this afternoon after GA is done.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I don't think so. I think that's pontification by that particular poster. I haven't seen any updates to suggest Trump is the clear favorite. 

1 minute ago, shader said:

Georgia's handling of this is horrific.  It looks shady.  I'm not saying it is, but they are creating that perception. They should be able to announce the exact number of ballots remaining to be counted.  

By, you know, counting them?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Zow said:

By, you know, counting them?

You don't have to count the votes to know how many ballots are remaining to be counted.  There were 50k.  Now there are 61k.  Do you not see how that can create a negative perception? 

Edited by shader
36 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Also, states really should have passed laws to allow processing of ballots as they come in, not waiting until election day to do all the work.  This is just obvious project planning, but you know "American exceptionalism"...

Many states did, but a notable exception is Pennsylvania where the Republican legislature shot down early ballot processing.

Just now, shader said:

You don't have to count them to know how many there are.  There were 50k.  Now there are 61k.  Do you not see how that can create a negative perception? 

I was making a joke/play on words with the way you worded it (i.e. your use of "count" in the context of that sentence). 

2 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

FWIW Nate Cohn (NYT) and Dave Wasserman (Cook Report) are both sticking with their "Biden will win PA, and it might be more like MI than WI" takes as of this morning.

The thing that worries me about Cohn's projection is that it's not like he has boots on the ground or a source telling him what the composition of remaining ballots looks like, etc.  He's just saying if the votes keep coming in at the same ratios they have been Biden will win handily.  But that's simple math that we could all do pretty easily.  He doesn't have any kind of special insight.  For all we know PA could be like some are saying AZ is where the last batches are election day dropoffs and not true mail in ballots and hence those ratios don't hold.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, shader said:

Biden is going to pass Trump in GA/PA.  I'd bet he announces victory tonight.  Might do it this afternoon after GA is done.

I think GA is going to be super close.  Like 2k votes either way.  Right now PA looks very good for Biden but I am not going to get ahead of myself yet since votes are still to counted.  

• Like 1

Georgia probably won't be called without a recount, it will be way too close. Also, AZ has not been called by all the major news establishments. PA could happen today, but I doubt it since there are apparently a lot of provisional ballots to go through. Friday is looking more likely as the call day.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Georgia probably won't be called without a recount, it will be way too close. Also, AZ has not been called by all the major news establishments. PA could happen today, but I doubt it since there are apparently a lot of provisional ballots to go through. Friday is looking more likely as the call day.

You're probably right.  If it's that close (within a few thousand), a recount is definitely going to happen.

11 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Biden is going to win PA by a 100k+

• Love 2
  • Laughing 1
6 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

And is actually one of the reasons the Electoral College was invented.  Everyone focuses on the states not getting screwed over on representation part, but another big part of it was that the founding father's didn't trust the American people to not be fooled by a populist conman so they didn't want them voting directly on the election.  In the ACTUAL electoral college (not this bastardized square peg round hole points system we use it as now) you didn't even vote on the actual presidential candidates, you voted for the electorates.  

Couldn’t agree more.

You're probably right.  If it's that close (within a few thousand), a recount is definitely going to happen.

It's already in recount territory.  It's a mandatory recount under 0.5%.  It's currently at 0.4% and will shrink even more. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

I can think of lots of reasons why it might take longer than expected for the mail-in ballots.

1. Fewer volunteers than normal due to COVID
  2. Some locales may be taking precautions with sanitizer and other COVID protocols
  3. They have to be opened by hand
  4. They can only be opened when a Dem and GOP poll watcher are present
  5. The various state-level protocols for validating the ballot need to be performed (e.g. signature match, double-check address, etc.)
  6. Most ballots probably get challenged by one of the poll watchers, which then requires a referee of sorts to deal with it

I could easily see 10 minutes per ballot, without considering bathroom breaks, food breaks, and social distancing issues.

11 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

14 hours = 840 minutes.  840 / 856 = 0.98 minutes per ballot.  Looks like I was way off.

19 minutes ago, Zow said:

Several of us are registered Republicans. 

Trump has just had the effect of pushing us away. I see this board as more of a anti-Trump v. Trump division (with more posters in the camp of the former) rather than Republican v. Democrat in the traditional sense. 

Same here, I just felt like 3 SCJ pushed thru under his watch and the state of things back in Jan/Feb were mostly good(Financially) but I am a big critic of how things were handled AFTER everything exploded. Poor Leadership all the way around and it probably contributed as much or more to any of the verticals that divided this country and tore it apart even further in 2020, specifically Floyd and the Pandemic and the Riots and how everything got mixed together and he stopped addressing the country daily. I don't care if the media and half the country or more thought his daily press conferences were garbage. That's fine but he still should have been talking to us on almost a daily basis and it felt like he didn't want to stand tall. That was where I started to get frustrated and where I was at about the same point as you where I just wasn't going to vote, let my wife punch the other side and that's a win for any Democrat. 

But then I just got fed up with a few things locally that pushed me to want to have a say. 

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

It's already in recount territory.  It's a mandatory recount under 0.5%.  It's currently at 0.4% and will shrink even more. 

I lied.  There are no automatic recount laws for Georgia. It's state dependent.  But it can (and will almost assuredly will) be requested when it's under 0.5%.  That's a foregone conclusion at this point.

Edited by gianmarco
13 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I live in Utah and I was pretty blown away to find out the rest of the country doesn't do it like us.  Everything Trump was complaining about is how we've been doing it for 20 years and it's freaking easy and awesome.  We didn't even have true in-person voting this time.  It was all mail-in and ballot boxes.

Off-topic, and not to stereotype Utah, but I saw an article that showed Mormon support for Trump had decreased significantly versus evangelical Christians.  Many are disagreeing with his lifestyle choices and fighting with Mitt Romney.  I don’t see Utah turning blue anytime soon, but one of the nuggets that came out of the election.

Its a little difficult to compare 2016 to 2020 because Evan McMullin got 21% as an independent last time.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

STOP THE COUNT!

9:12 AM · Nov 5, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Stop everywhere?  Ok...welcome President-elect Biden.

Ohhhh, you think he means only in PA and GA?  What a disgrace.

This is my favorite thing about the stop the count nonsense.  :lmao: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1