What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should IDP Earn Offensive Points - Jeremy Chinn 11/1/20 (1 Viewer)

I would like some advice on how to handle the following situation:  Our league awards points for rushing yards.  An owner started a Defensive Back who participated in a fake punt.  His team was 4th and 8, but they did a direct snap to this player who proceeded to run for 28 yards.  Should this rush - and the resulting yards - count in that players points for the week?  Our league rules do not state that Defensive Players only earn defensive points.  This is particularly sensitive as the team owner is in a tie for the week before these additional points.  

BlockingandTackling said:
I would like some advice on how to handle the following situation:  Our league awards points for rushing yards.  An owner started a Defensive Back who participated in a fake punt.  His team was 4th and 8, but they did a direct snap to this player who proceeded to run for 28 yards.  Should this rush - and the resulting yards - count in that players points for the week?  Our league rules do not state that Defensive Players only earn defensive points.  This is particularly sensitive as the team owner is in a tie for the week before these additional points.  
Absolutely.

Q:  Do offensive players get points for tackles (via special teams of after a recovered fumble or interception)?  I could see a case for NOT counting the rushing yards if offensive players don't get points for tackles in your league.

That said, fix the rules and award points to players that contribute to their NFL team in all the ways your league has elected to use regardless of position.  If a defensive back has a rush my fantasy team should reap the yardage rewards (or the negative if they fumble) and wideouts should earn points if they go into the game and intercept a Hail Mary, etc.  Good luck!

In every IDP league I am in, every player gets points for what they do on the field, which means Chinn would get points for the rushing yards (just as DK Metcalf got points for the tackle after the interception in week 7).

Now, as @trader jake mentioned, if your league rules are set up differently, then you are in a sticky situation, especially if you do not currently give "offensive" players credit for defensive stats like tackles. I'm not an advocate for changing rules midseason, so if you don't currently do this, then I'm not sure I could be in favor of changing the settings now, but it 100% is a setting I would change for future seasons.

Yes,  Just like offensive players get points for tackles.  When using IDP players in a league every player should be eligible for every type of point acquisition possible.  You are now no longer dealing with Team Defense/Special Team situations.  It's all individual and every player should be allowed to score points based on your scoring system.  Everyone is eligible. 

Sounds like somebody didn't get his fake punt answer that he sought in the Shark Pool. Or something like that. Second time in a week a new poster bumps a situation like this or starts a thread about it.  :fishing: .

This shouldn’t be a question.   Of course you give a player points for rushing yards that he’s earned.  If he kicks a FG then he gets those points as well.

Of course the league should be set up so they do, but if the league wasn’t set up that way, the owner is hosed... and the league setup should be fixed for next season.

Users who are viewing this thread