What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Attorney General Of PA: "If all the votes are added up in PA, Trump is going to lose." (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
https://twitter.com/JoshShapiroPA/status/1322640510637477889?s=20

Friends are sending me this. Supposedly from the Attorney General of Pennsylvania.

If all the votes are added up in PA, Trump is going to lose. That’s why he’s working overtime to subtract as many votes as possible from this process. For the record, he’s 0-6 against us in court. We’ve protected voting rights. Now, ignore the noise—vote!
How can he say this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems emotions have been raised to an even higher level at the 11th hour and it's prompting people to say some pretty silly things. Great reminder for everyone here to maybe count to ten before clicking "submit reply" today.

Seems emotions have been raised to an even higher level at the 11th hour and it's prompting people to say some pretty silly things. Great reminder for everyone here to maybe count to ten before clicking "submit reply" today.
Absolutely no one should believe any sort of results until at least tomorrow or the next day.

Or maybe more to the point, is this kind of endorsement ok for Attorney Generals to say? 
I didn't read it as an endorsement. I assumed that 1) a number of early ballots came in providing a decent sample size; 2) the AG was privy to the data; and 3) the AG extrapolated that data and reasonable concluded that if everybody votes then Trump loses. Again, this are assumptions that maybe I couldn't be making but that I did make and read the comment as somebody objectively stating data. 

Regardless, after some reflection, I think it was something pretty dumb to say publicly. 

Wow, talk about creating controversy and doubt in the process.  Should be asked to step down.
You can't possibly believe these statements are over the line but Trump's own statements over the last 6+ months regarding rigged elections are fine, can you?

Edit: it is a stupid thing to say.  I'm all for him being required to step down as long as we're consistent about it, which means that Trump and others have to step down as well.

Hmmm just read the twitter post. I think some of my assumptions were wrong. Definitely has a team vibe to it. Is AG a partisan position in PA?

Not every vote needs to be counted for there to be a reasonable mathematical certainty of an outcome. 
You're right, but the way this election feels its almost like it should be just so everyone can be satisfied and not think someone's cheating.

I didn't read it as an endorsement. I assumed that 1) a number of early ballots came in providing a decent sample size; 2) the AG was privy to the data; and 3) the AG extrapolated that data and reasonable concluded that if everybody votes then Trump loses. Again, this are assumptions that maybe I couldn't be making but that I did make and read the comment as somebody objectively stating data. 
Not one ballot was opened in PA before 7am today. 

I don't see how AG would have access to data handled by county election officials regardless

Hmmm just read the twitter post. I think some of my assumptions were wrong. Definitely has a team vibe to it. Is AG a partisan position in PA?
I don't think he was sharing insider information but trying to reassure voters that the Pennsylvania election and its residents' vote are secure despite the best efforts of the Trump campaign.  That he and his staff have been on it.

You're right, but the way this election feels its almost like it should be just so everyone can be satisfied and not think someone's cheating.
That's a fair point. And I think undoubtedly the losing side will complain. But, I fear the longer the process goes the more uncertainty there may be. 

I believe it’s in response to a question:

Q: Why do you think Donald Trump and Republicans are fighting to keep votes from counting?

A: Because if all the votes get counted, Donald Trump is going to lose.
?? I was responding about Shapiro`s comments in the OP.

Dumb to say?  Yes...would hope our elected officials and appointees like an AG would be better.  

Step down?  Sure...if all others who made terrible statements about this election process do as well.  We would all be better for it if they respected the people who put them in the position of power...if they remembered they are there to serve "the people".

Doesn't bother me really. Not the smartest thing to say. Seems like everyone on the right is retweeting it with their take that's for sure. 

IvanKaramazov said:
No, it isn't.  If a Republican AG said the same thing, people would be hyperventilating over it.
My friend who sent it to me is an attorney. We both have a mutual friend in Herbert Slatery who is the Attorney General of TN. His message was "Could you imagine Herbert saying something like that?"

I could not. 

Terpman22 said:
What is the big deal here, if we already accepted how the AG of the US acts, lock step with the President?
There is no big deal!  There is no inappropriate statement.  There is no leaking of insider information.  There is a prediction which is shared by most people.  But most of all there is a partisan reassurance to "his side" that if you vote it will matter and be counted.  Fumbled on the wording a bit,  but beyond that finding something to get worked up over is just because one wants to find it.

There is no big deal!  There is no inappropriate statement.  There is no leaking of insider information.  There is a prediction which is shared by most people.  But most of all there is a partisan reassurance to "his side" that if you vote it will matter and be counted.  Fumbled on the wording a bit,  but beyond that finding something to get worked up over is just because one wants to find it.
Agreed. Don't be a snowflake. 

Yes I know..but trying to stay on topic with the OP.  There are Trump threads everywhere.
That is the topic!   Without Trumps actions with the courts and his last minute Trump speech the Attorney General is not trying to reassure voters, democratic voters specifically that if the vote their vote will be counted.  That is what is being spun into some egregious statement.

But more to the point, this kind of thing is what I worry about in the next few days.

Say Trump loses Pennsylvania and loses the election because of Pennsylvania.

The Pennsylvania Attorney General tweeting three days before the election "If all the votes are added up in PA, Trump is going to lose" would be awful. 

But more to the point, this kind of thing is what I worry about in the next few days.

The Pennsylvania Attorney General tweeting three days before the election "If all the votes are added up in PA, Trump is going to lose" would be awful. 
Yep, Trump campaign will latch on to this

If there is zero evidence of any wrongdoing...its an appearance sure...an excuse for Trump supporters there.  I get that...and by no means should he have said it...but overall, nationally, when POTUS has said much worse himself, I have a hard time being too upset over something in another state.

Unless there’s evidence of any actual wrongdoing I think he can have his opinion. Really, the egregious thing said here is “IF” we count the votes, not “when” we count the votes. The if is there because of republican efforts to stop counting. 
Let’s be honest here- we’ve had months to coordinate and apply safe voting procedures during this pandemic, and rather than come up with solutions at any turn, republicans time and again try to limit the ways people can vote, right down to eliminating overtime for postal workers. They’ve tried all sorts of dirty tricks imo.

He made the statement three days before a single ballot was even opened, let alone counted.It may add to the rhetoric and talking points, but it is nothing the Trump campaign could use to cry foul with the courts.

If we believe the media reports, the Trump campaign is considering a strategy to declare victory in PA before the the mail in votes are counted in the coming days.  In that light, I'm not as critical of his comment as I would be normally.

Would it have been better if he had inserted "I'm confident" in front of "Biden will win"?  I don't know, I'm having a lot of trouble fomenting any outrage over this, but admittedly I'm a tad jaded after all the insane rhetoric coming from the incumbent the past several days.

ETA: I mean the GOP has openly adopted a strategy of lower voter turnout is definitely a positive for them so this doesn't seem like a mystery. Whatever.

Biff84 said:
I believe it’s in response to a question:

Q: Why do you think Donald Trump and Republicans are fighting to keep votes from counting?

A: Because if all the votes get counted, Donald Trump is going to lose.
This. Trump and the republicans just tried to sue and overturn state law that allows mail in ballots post marked before election day but not yet received to be counted. The polls show those ballots overwhelming support Biden. 

Still, dumb thing to say. 

Personally I'm more concerned that the POTUS has been saying for months that if he loses it's because the election is rigged. In other words he CAN’T lose. That's scary dangerous. 

If we believe the media reports, the Trump campaign is considering a strategy to declare victory in PA before the the mail in votes are counted in the coming days.  In that light, I'm not as critical of his comment as I would be normally.
It has been  foregone conclusion that the campaign will be working to throw out ballots since at least September when un-certified Trump" poll watchers" tried to gain access to voting centers (NOT polls) and Trump started his Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia thing. And the campaign also started videotaping people at drop boxes. 

Users who are viewing this thread