What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thank You For Being Cool. Please Keep It Up (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hey Folks,

Thank you for being cool on the forums. There was very little snark and HTH condescending type stuff. Thank you. 

Please help us in keeping that going today and through the days ahead as we hope to get more clarity. 

Please continue assuming the best of one another. Especially folks that don't agree with you. Please be gracious winners and if your side lost, please do your best to be cool. 

Thank y'all. Please bump this up through the day to keep it near the top as I think it's important. Thanks y'all. 

The election thread has been pretty darn good...seems Im seeing similar even out of my facebook feed which is nice to see.

Lets keep that up.

I'm glad we've been able to keep it together, and as an added bonus: the Sun still came up this morning. We all have at least a bit more time on this little blue marble.

I've concluded that ultimately, I'm going to carry on with my way of life regardless of any of these elections......sure, I'll vote, especially on the local stuff that may impact my life more directly.  But, at the end of the day, my only real concerns are raising my kids to be responsible, productive members of society, and not becoming completely submerged in the cess pool of misinformation that we are all being constantly fed.  Life is much more enjoyable when you filter out the noise.

Thank you. 

Thank y'all.

Thanks y'all. 
Ok so i have to ask is there a difference between these?  I don’t speak southern fluently enough to know if this is like y'all vs all y'all. I feel like thank y'all is more about thanking and thanks y'all is more about the y'all but it's hard to tell from context.

Ok so i have to ask is there a difference between these?  I don’t speak southern fluently enough to know if this is like y'all vs all y'all. I feel like thank y'all is more about thanking and thanks y'all is more about the y'all but it's hard to tell from context.
:)  Always glad to interpret southernese.

Not all of our talk down here makes sense. 

But "Y'all" makes perfect sense. It's just the contraction of you and all. 

It just means everyone. Not to get too hippy dippy but I love it as it's by definition inclusive. 

I've concluded that ultimately, I'm going to carry on with my way of life regardless of any of these elections......sure, I'll vote, especially on the local stuff that may impact my life more directly.  But, at the end of the day, my only real concerns are raising my kids to be responsible, productive members of society, and not becoming completely submerged in the cess pool of misinformation that we are all being constantly fed.  Life is much more enjoyable when you filter out the noise.
I appreciate this post and this viewpoint is probably needed by a few more.

I would caution, however, that while it's your focus and understandably so, there are many, many others that don't have the luxury of the situations many of us find ourselves in. 

It's certainly not reasonable to expect we are ALL going to work on making others' lives better as well, particularly those in need. But when we tune others out and live in our own bubbles, and as more and more people do that, then those less fortunate suffer more. 

Just something to keep in mind (not just you, but all of us).

It just means everyone. Not to get too hippy dippy but I love it as it's by definition inclusive. 
Right no I get that and I'm a huge fan of y'all (in this case, I mean the word but also you and sometimes the south but not always tbh)

But what I mean is thank y'all seems to mean something different from thanks y'all with an s, and you used them both as well as just thank you. 

Thank you and thanks are pretty standard but they're different, thank you is a little more formal and thanks is usually a brief nicety, but sometimes curt or sarcastic. Wow you look terrible today did you just wake up?  Hey thanks. 

Thank y'all seems like it would almost never be sarcastic, lile a full thank you, but it's also informal, like thanks, and leaning into the southern thing.  

I think you might say thank y'all to one person or ten or to some mysterious benefactor that might be one or several people, like I don't know who brought in cookies to the office kitchen today but thank y'all. Was that one of y'all? Some of y'all?  All y'all?  Who knows. Thank y'all.

But thanks y'all seems like you would only say it to a group maybe. Because thanks already means thank you, the y'all is specifically saying thanks to y'all, which is an identified group and never a singular. I'm talking to a group of y'all, and thanking all of you. Thanks y'all. 

I appreciate this post and this viewpoint is probably needed by a few more.

I would caution, however, that while it's your focus and understandably so, there are many, many others that don't have the luxury of the situations many of us find ourselves in. 

It's certainly not reasonable to expect we are ALL going to work on making others' lives better as well, particularly those in need. But when we tune others out and live in our own bubbles, and as more and more people do that, then those less fortunate suffer more. 

Just something to keep in mind (not just you, but all of us).
And I appreciate your point.....

My wife and I are pretty active in our community, and do help those in need.  We are teaching our children to do the same.  I guess my way of thinking continues to hone in on worrying about things I can kind of control, and kind of have an impact on, which equals local.  In this age of instantaneous communication, and globalization, it's easy to get lost in the vastness of it all.

Right no I get that and I'm a huge fan of y'all (in this case, I mean the word but also you and sometimes the south but not always tbh)

But what I mean is thank y'all seems to mean something different from thanks y'all with an s, and you used them both as well as just thank you. 

Thank you and thanks are pretty standard but they're different, thank you is a little more formal and thanks is usually a brief nicety, but sometimes curt or sarcastic. Wow you look terrible today did you just wake up?  Hey thanks. 

Thank y'all seems like it would almost never be sarcastic, lile a full thank you, but it's also informal, like thanks, and leaning into the southern thing.  

I think you might say thank y'all to one person or ten or to some mysterious benefactor that might be one or several people, like I don't know who brought in cookies to the office kitchen today but thank y'all. Was that one of y'all? Some of y'all?  All y'all?  Who knows. Thank y'all.

But thanks y'all seems like you would only say it to a group maybe. Because thanks already means thank you, the y'all is specifically saying thanks to y'all, which is an identified group and never a singular. I'm talking to a group of y'all, and thanking all of you. Thanks y'all. 
I think you're overthinking it. ;)  

I was married to a southern gal, and I picked up y’all as a permanent part of my lexicon.   Still use it regularly.  Otoh, I once used “fixin”, as in “I’m fixin to go to the store.”  I was horrified that I’d sunk to that level.

I was married to a southern gal, and I picked up y’all as a permanent part of my lexicon.   Still use it regularly.  Otoh, I once used “fixin”, as in “I’m fixin to go to the store.”  I was horrified that I’d sunk to that level.
I grew up in a rural area, and will use “ain’t” in the appropriate company. You won’t catch me saying anything purt near fixin though.

What about people raised both in the south and the north, who have separated y’all back into you all, and use it regularly? Acceptable, or should I heap shame upon myself? 

As long as you don't use yinz.
I don't mind yinz. But unlike y'all, yinz doesn't make sense. I'm assuming that's You + ones. In some parts of deep Appalachia you'll hear "you'ns" and I always assumed that's where yinz came from.  "You ones" is not good. 

But I fully admit I'm biased as I have lots of Pittsburgh family that I love dearly so I've got a soft spot there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I do love regional or cultural stuff like this. 

My friend Simon that does our App Development is from London. I've picked up "sorted" from him. As in "Let's get this sorted". Makes perfect sense. He is quick to tell me that's because his people invented the language...

I don't mind yinz. But unlike y'all, yinz doesn't make sense. I'm assuming that's You + ones. In some parts of deep Appalachia you'll hear "you'ns" and I always assumed that's where yinz came from.  "You ones" is not good. 

But I fully admit I'm biased as I have lots of Pittsburgh family that I love dearly so I've got a soft spot there. 
Girlfriend is from  near State College.   Yinz is a regular part of her vocabulary.   Drives me nuts.

Embrace it GB. Let it wash (warsh) over you. 

And warsh is odd. I don't know hardly anyone that says that. Except for my own father! He says is regularly as in Warshington DC. That one makes zero sense to me. I mean I get lots of these as they're contractions and such. But I don't get that one. 

And warsh is odd. I don't know hardly anyone that says that. Except for my own father! He says is regularly as in Warshington DC. That one makes zero sense to me. I mean I get lots of these as they're contractions and such. But I don't get that one. 
In Huron county, MI, I hear a lot of “youz guys” but never “yins.”

I thought Michigan/Midwest was more "Yup" in that situation. 
I’m always confused

is it yep in the northeast / South, yup in the Midwest & west coast? or just the opposite?

I’ve always been an aiight guy.

Grew up around a lot of Finlanders, ya know.

Joe Bryant said:

That's big here in Missouri as well.  Not something I'm used to and still don't understand it. 

Joe Bryant said:

That's big here in Missouri as well.  Not something I'm used to and still don't understand it. 
Warsh, as in Warshington or "warsh the dishes" is alive and well in Nebraska with my parent's generation.  My kids :lmao:  when my mom says it.

My family falls all over the political spectrum.  I was worried, but it's really been civil on our Snapchat group.  Everyone thanking everyone else for voting even if they know those votes are the opposite of theirs.  A couple pot stirring comments, but no one has taken the bait.  :)  

Thanks for giving us a place to be cool, Joe.  This sub-forum has been on thin ice a few times over the last four years, I'm glad it managed to stick around.  Despite the venom that can be spewed around here, I've found it to be a fantastic source of information, and an excellent place to read thoughts and views that I hadn't considered prior.

Gr00vus said:
People should use fixin' more.
Even where I live I can't bring myself to say that.

I will say that 95% of the US gets median wrong.  It's a neutral ground, folks.  

My family falls all over the political spectrum.  I was worried, but it's really been civil on our Snapchat group.  Everyone thanking everyone else for voting even if they know those votes are the opposite of theirs.  A couple pot stirring comments, but no one has taken the bait.  :)  
I wish I could say the same.  My friends and family are quite diverse politically as well.  I've gotten to witness firsthand extreme views on both sides......ie, The left has been trying to sabotage Trump from the get-go, vs. Trump is the worst president ever, and is dangerous, and anyone who is for him, must be insane.....when people feel that strongly there's no discourse, unfortunately......this is why I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle of all that, like it always is......this is also why I've pretty much checked out on it, and don't really care.....none of it is worth losing relationships over, imo.....So I focus on taking care of what I can, and hope that those who I care about can unplug from the constant deluge of biased media, regardless of the source, and bias.

Users who are viewing this thread