Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official President Joe Biden Thread***

SHIZNITTTT

15 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Do we still have China tariffs? Pretty sure they're still operating. I hope Biden works out of those soon.

we do unfortunately....I have a feeling they'll be around a bit while they figure out what countries can get on board with doing things the correct way...we'll see...dumb to still keep them around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

we do unfortunately....I have a feeling they'll be around a bit while they figure out what countries can get on board with doing things the correct way...we'll see...dumb to still keep them around.

Right. The abandoned TPP was no where near perfect (not enough protections for labor and the environment), but we need to get back to working on something like that. Of course the goal there was to somewhat cut China out of the loop, I don't know how realistic it is to approach things from the perspective of freezing China out of trade. At some point they need to be integrated somehow as a good faith world trade partner. Hard, hard task to achieve. 

3 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

Is the reason they are making more on unemployment because they were making so little while working, or that the benefits in your particualr state are extremely generous?

The museum I work at is also struggling to get people to come back to work. But these are front line employees that make on average 10 bucks an hour, so I understand their hesitation.

Connecticut has one of the highest unemployment benefits plus the federal money.  Minimum wage is $12 now going to $15 over next 2 years.  We pay $13-$16 now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dawgtrails said:

Is the reason they are making more on unemployment because they were making so little while working, or that the benefits in your particualr state are extremely generous?

The museum I work at is also struggling to get people to come back to work. But these are front line employees that make on average 10 bucks an hour, so I understand their hesitation.

I don't know what the current unemployment benefit rules are, but in summer my back-of-the-envelope math net > 50% of the Ohio workforce earning more on unemployment than if they were actually working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I don't know what the current unemployment benefit rules are, but in summer my back-of-the-envelope math net > 50% of the Ohio workforce earning more on unemployment than if they were actually working.

Genuine question....are all the other benefits associated with the job held constant in this situation or are you looking simply at pay rate not factoring in things like insurance coverage, retirement opportunities etc.

7 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Genuine question....are all the other benefits associated with the job held constant in this situation or are you looking simply at pay rate not factoring in things like insurance coverage, retirement opportunities etc.

Strictly wage, but that # was around 65%. I scaled back my guesstimate understanding there are cases like you described in that pool that I don't have the information to consider. 

11 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:
20 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Strictly wage, but that # was around 65%. I scaled back my guesstimate understanding there are cases like you described in that pool that I don't have the information to consider. 

Student loan debt forgiveness.  50k. But only those who make 125k or less.  

50k forgiveness regardless of your income is a nice chunk of money.  I do not understand the cutoff?  Oh well how it helps all those people who need it.  

5 minutes ago, jrt103 said:

Why is it specifically student loan debt?

why not credit card debt?

why not mortgage debt?

etc etc

My guess would be that student loan debt is simpler to track via FAFSA

39 minutes ago, jrt103 said:

Id be more than happy to send them a copy of my credit card statements 🙂

I’m sure they’d like to see them, but with all the different credit companies, rounding up the total debt of a person is considerably harder than just federal student debt.

13 hours ago, jrt103 said:

Why is it specifically student loan debt?

why not credit card debt?

why not mortgage debt?

etc etc

One of the big reasons is there are already ways out of these other types of debt that don't exist for student loan debt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Capella said:

It’s so great not having a freaking circus every day. Just the best. 

I have the same feeling now that I normally get after living through a hurricane. One of relief, but knowing there’s still work to do to dig out.

5 hours ago, Capella said:

It’s so great not having a freaking circus every day. Just the best. 

Watched Joe speak yesterday about the covid package that Congress is putting together. Obviously going to be contentious, people on both sides of issue will be upset, it will have issues.

Biden talked about it, laid out his view, knows the Dems have the hammer but didn’t talk about this, didn’t make it all about him and winning, walked off without saying something absurd, didn’t tweet nonsense immediately afterwards. 

So nice. 

• Like 3

On 2/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, rockaction said:

Anybody read the Time article about democracy and Trump and the forces and luck that it took for something awful and systemic not to have happened? Worth a read.

https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

I still think the pipe bombs being found before they went off may have ruined the whole plan.  Imagine twin blasts at the RNC and the DNC right around the time the insurrectionists were breaching the Capitol. 

• Sad 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, DaVinci said:

If you posted your car for sale on Craigslist for $10,000 and someone sent you an offer of $3,000, would you even bother trying to negotiate with them? Low balling is not “good faith”.

That's a terrible comparison.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, SHIZNITTTT said:

Student loan debt forgiveness.  50k. But only those who make 125k or less.  

50k forgiveness regardless of your income is a nice chunk of money.  I do not understand the cutoff?  Oh well how it helps all those people who need it.  

This is in the Covid Bill?

2 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Not really down with the constant waffling on his promises:

$2,000? No, $1,400.

For how many people?  No, let's do less.

Minimum wage?  Sounds cool, but not gonna fight for it.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2021/02/05/biden-covid-relief-bill-minimum-wage-hike-cbs-interview-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

And using 2019 wages is the dumbest part of this entire initiative.  Just flat-out makes ZERO sense.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

And using 2019 wages is the dumbest part of this entire initiative.  Just flat-out makes ZERO sense.

What's the alternative?  I guess they could push the payments off until after April and use the 2020 numbers, but that is pushing payments off for people losing everything.

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

What's the alternative?  I guess they could push the payments off until after April and use the 2020 numbers, but that is pushing payments off for people losing everything.

i made more than six figures and was fully employed for all of 2019.  I was laid off and unemployed for six months due to covid and there probably millions like me. I don't know the answer but using 2019 is pointless, no? 

37 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Not really down with the constant waffling on his promises:

$2,000? No, $1,400.

For how many people?  No, let's do less.

Minimum wage?  Sounds cool, but not gonna fight for it.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2021/02/05/biden-covid-relief-bill-minimum-wage-hike-cbs-interview-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

The 1400 isn’t a waffle.  It’s because there already was the 600 second nd stimulus.

On the min wage...is it waffling to realize it could sink this?  Or make it less popular to get through in this?  Ot is that what he isnsupposed tondo?  Negotiate...compromise...and get the bill through.

51 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

i made more than six figures and was fully employed for all of 2019.  I was laid off and unemployed for six months due to covid and there probably millions like me. I don't know the answer but using 2019 is pointless, no? 

The easy solution is to mean test, if you must, on the backend when people file their taxes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
55 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

The easy solution is to mean test, if you must, on the backend when people file their taxes. 

Yep. 

56 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

It's certainly not ideal, but the alternative (if income based) seems to be delaying....it sucks, no question.

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

It's certainly not ideal, but the alternative (if income based) seems to be delaying....it sucks, no question.

Don't they have access to real time income and unemployment data? Why do we need to wait until April? 

10 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Don't they have access to real time income and unemployment data? Why do we need to wait until April? 

They have what employers send them but they don't have AGI information which is what I think they use if memory serves correctly.  

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

The 1400 isn’t a waffle.  It’s because there already was the 600 second nd stimulus.

On the min wage...is it waffling to realize it could sink this?  Or make it less popular to get through in this?  Ot is that what he isnsupposed tondo?  Negotiate...compromise...and get the bill through.

We can agree to disagree on the $1,400.  He was in Georgia shouting $2K checks, immediately.  

Manchin would agree to $12. He could run the whole thing through budget reconciliation.  

I don't really agree with negotiating off the floor.  Get the bill introduced with what you want it.  Don't pull the "willing to negotiate" crap unless you absolutely have to.  I don't think he has to.

Edited by -jb-

17 minutes ago, -jb- said:

We can agree to disagree on the $1,400.  He was in Georgia shouting $2K checks, immediately.  

No we can't

The message was consistent from this point on; they were on the house floor the week before Georgia pushing for it - increase to $2K. Those with an agenda have hunted and pecked for sound bites to distort the message since and discord they have sowed. I am not saying your messaging is in bad faith; I am saying those that pushed this now accepted narrative did.

15 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

No we can't

The message was consistent from this point on; they were on the house floor the week before Georgia pushing for it - increase to $2K. Those with an agenda have hunted and pecked for sound bites to distort the message since and discord they have sowed. I am not saying your messaging is in bad faith; I am saying those that pushed this now accepted narrative did.

i stand corrected, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -jb- said:

Manchin would agree to $12. He could run the whole thing through budget reconciliation.  

I don't really agree with negotiating off the floor.  Get the bill introduced with what you want it.  Don't pull the "willing to negotiate" crap unless you absolutely have to.  I don't think he has to.

Which was prior to the $600 checks wasn't it?

Bills are always negotiated like that though...doesn't bother me much...though, I agree it can be bad especially when a bunch of other crap gets attached to it.

9 hours ago, -jb- said:

Yeah - new CBO report on the $15 minimum wage:  1.4M jobs lost, 900k people lifted out of poverty range.

Overall big loser for Americans.  No surprise they backed off of this.  

9 hours ago, sho nuff said:

What in the world are you trying to say?

In a letter urging the president to allow workers to resume construction on the Keystone XL Pipeline, Attorney General Mike Hunter today outlined why the project is good for Americans, for the environment and for health and human safety.

The Keystone XL Pipeline is good for Americans, good for the environment, and good for health and human safety.

Halting the project destroys livelihoods and hurts local economies. Environmentally speaking, the Keystone is a far better way to transport crude to the Gulf Coast, rather than by train or truck.

On behalf of the countless Oklahomans who benefit from Keystone, I implore the president to change his position and restart the Keystone Pipeline.

https://www.oag.ok.gov/articles/attorney-general-hunter-pres-biden-killing-keystone-bad-america