Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official President Joe Biden Thread***

SHIZNITTTT

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Can only lead people to the water...can’t force them to drink.

It’s a two way street from my perspective..  

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I can think of several reasons:

1. July 4th is a big deal to our nation but especially in D.C. - making a spectacle of Covid "success" on July 4th fits a narrative most Presidents would jump on

2. It helps encourage folks on the fence to get the vaccine.

3. It reminds folks to be vigilant in the last couple months before we should be mostly normal

I'm sure there's an element of scare tactics but honestly I'm ok with that being a reason too - too many people still not taking things serious and <insert Winston Wolfe quote here>.

So we can write off Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start of summer?  

If my math is correct, Biden said there will be enough for everyone by May 1, correct?  ThT means they can get their 2nd shot may 15ish, no?  That is about two weeks from Memorial Day - but if we obey we may throw a couple of steaks on the grill six weeks after Memorial Day?

got it.

3 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

its still on my calendar

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

If my math is correct, Biden said there will be enough for everyone by May 1, correct?  ThT means they can get their 2nd shot may 15ish, no?  That is about two weeks from Memorial Day - but if we obey we may throw a couple of steaks on the grill six weeks after Memorial Day?

got it.

Having shots and getting into people is probably 2 different issues. Tens of millions of people getting shots on one day seems unlikely.

What will stop you from getting together with people on Memorial Day?

2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

When you hide in the basement the first 2 months of your Presidency that’s going to happen. I’m just glad to see he was ok, although he looked quite fragile. I hope he can hang in there.  

I watch the news and Joe has been in front of the camera pretty much every day. :shrug:

Remind me who was the guy that hid in the White House nearly every day for the last 3 months of his presidency, during a pandemic, because he was a big baby that couldn't accept losing an election.   

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

I watch the news and Joe has been in front of the camera pretty much every day. :shrug:

Remind me who was the guy that hid in the White House nearly every day for the last 3 months of his presidency, during a pandemic, because he was a big baby that couldn't accept losing an election.   

if they're down to the "no press conferences" talking point, they're getting desperate.

12 minutes ago, The General said:

Having shots and getting into people is probably 2 different issues. Tens of millions of people getting shots on one day seems unlikely.

What will stop you from getting together with people on Memorial Day?

Obviously my blue state isn’t opening up by those guidelines for Memorial Day.  Even at 75%, it’s not the 100% I always get. 

44 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Only a chance for small gatherings four months from now.  :lmao:

How slow of a roll do you want to play this Joe?

Seriously, I feel for people that listen to this and aren’t living their lives taking rational precautions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Obviously my blue state isn’t opening up by those guidelines for Memorial Day.  Even at 75%, it’s not the 100% I always get. 

If you want to meet with people at your house nothing is stopping anyone from doing this and there never has been. It’s up to people to determine what they want to do based on information. 

What I took from Biden’s comments was that if all goes well people will be vaccinated and then get togethers are safe. Lots of hurdles to still jump but things are tracking in the right direction.

5 minutes ago, The General said:

If you want to meet with people at your house nothing is stopping anyone from doing this and there never has been. It’s up to people to determine what they want to do based on information. 

What I took from Biden’s comments was that if all goes well people will be vaccinated and then get togethers are safe. Lots of hurdles to still jump but things are tracking in the right direction.

How about from a bar/restaurant perspective?  There is no reason not to open up in many of these areas right now.  

2 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

How about from a bar/restaurant perspective?  There is no reason not to open up in many of these areas right now.  

For me that’s tough. Businesses getting shut down is obviously awful, but I like the approach where you look at the numbers in the area and if they meet thresholds you open stuff up with the best possible conditions - stuff like limited capacity, open air, outside seating etc. If the numbers continue to track down you expand what you can allow.

If all goes well by summer the numbers should be way down and places should be opening up all over the place. 

People meeting with friends and family in homes was always up to people to do whatever they wanted. 

1 hour ago, stlrams said:

It’s a two way street from my perspective..  

Seems the rhetoric during and after last night is that some are willing to work together.

Others focused on 2 lines about where we were last year and making baseless comments about Joe being not well.

Which do you think are more looking to be unified?

47 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

got it.

No...he stated he wanted all states to open eligibility by May 1st.  Not that they would all have the capacity to then have people have their second shot by the 15th.  

36 minutes ago, joffer said:

if they're down to the "no press conferences" talking point, they're getting desperate.

And being hypocritical because the guy they supported for 4 years went a long while between press conferences often as well.

1 hour ago, Mile High said:

They probably don't even care what he says in the press conferences. 

Pretty sure they were hoping he stumbled walking to the podium or couldn't take a sip of water so they could claim he's frail and in danger of being replaced by KH

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yak651 said:

Pretty sure they were hoping he stumbled walking to the podium or couldn't take a sip of water so they could claim he's frail and in danger of being replaced by KH

Boss move would have been to have had a glass of water there and take a sip using only one hand.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

He’s about to go on the road, traveling all over the country. As usual this whole shtick of Biden being old and tired is nonsensical. Grandpa has got more energy than guys half his age.  Nobody is buying it. Come up with something else. 

Worst shtick on the board right now

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

No...he stated he wanted all states to open eligibility by May 1st.  Not that they would all have the capacity to then have people have their second shot by the 15th.  

We do have 6 weeks to figure out the logistics.  There is zero reason that state university arenas and stadiums can’t be used also - our tax dollars are helping support them.  I agree with him that we have to do better.  July 4th is the halfway point for summer business for me.  

Grandpa has got more energy than guys half his age.  Nobody is buying it. Come up with something else. 

Like Biden or not nobody is buying this . Embarrassingly bad take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK? Please go on. 

My point was this topic is just a cesspool of either Biden supporters saying everything is great, we won etc or non-Biden folks taking shots..  theres very little discussion on policy, pros and cons etc.  just my observation and it may be just the past few days.  

6 minutes ago, stlrams said:

My point was this topic is just a cesspool of either Biden supporters saying everything is great, we won etc or non-Biden folks taking shots..  theres very little discussion on policy, pros and cons etc.  just my observation and it may be just the past few days.  

First off I think I’m about the only Biden supporter in this forum. Most of the progressives around here didn’t want him, and just about everybody here who ended up voting for him did so because they opposed Trump. Even I preferred somebody else to begin with though I moved towards Biden probably quicker than most. 
Second, we’re celebrating this for a reason- I think he’s done a good job. I’ve tried to be very policy specific and so have others. I started a thread detailing the Covid package and we’ve discussed at length the pro and cons of it. 

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

First off I think I’m about the only Biden supporter in this forum. Most of the progressives around here didn’t want him, and just about everybody here who ended up voting for him did so because they opposed Trump. Even I preferred somebody else to begin with though I moved towards Biden probably quicker than most. 
Second, we’re celebrating this for a reason- I think he’s done a good job. I’ve tried to be very policy specific and so have others. I started a thread detailing the Covid package and we’ve discussed at length the pro and cons of it. 

The time to start grading him will be day 101.  He should be able to get the majority of his wish list (or movement toward it) in the first 100 days with a D congress.  The honeymoon ends in day 101.

1 minute ago, FairWarning said:

The time to start grading him will be day 101.  He should be able to get the majority of his wish list (or movement toward it) in the first 100 days with a D congress.  The honeymoon ends in day 101.

No we can grade him as of this afternoon. The Covid relief package is a pretty big deal. He’s not going to get a lot else done without messing with the Filibuster and that’s a tough dilemma. 

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

No we can grade him as of this afternoon. The Covid relief package is a pretty big deal. He’s not going to get a lot else done without messing with the Filibuster and that’s a tough dilemma. 

Did you really think the D's weren't going to deliver that for him?  

13 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Days it took all these guys to pass their first major piece of legislation

Biden - 51 days

Trump - 334 days

Obama - 427 days

Bush - 279 days

Clinton - 202 days

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

5 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Biden - 51 days

Trump - 334 days

Obama - 427 days

Bush - 279 days

Clinton - 202 days

Those numbers surprise me, wonder what the breakdown of HOR/Senate was.  

4 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Not exactly sure what you mean but I know my personal Memorial Day plans will most likely be the same no matter what happens in the next 2 months. 

10 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

Biden - 51 days

Trump - 334 days

Obama - 427 days

Bush - 279 days

Clinton - 202 days

To be fair - I see no way to reasonably compare these.  We are in the middle of a pandemic - I have no doubt Trump (or any of the others) would have worked to get something done in their first 50 days given the same circumstances.  Not knocking Joe - I think he's down as well as I expected so far but these are unique circumstances.

• Like 2

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Not exactly sure what you mean but I know my personal Memorial Day plans will most likely be the same no matter what happens in the next 2 months. 

The state will limit business capacity here most likely "under an abundance of caution".  Anything under 100% capacity is a loss.

1 minute ago, FairWarning said:

The state will limit business capacity here most likely "under an abundance of caution".  Anything under 100% capacity is a loss.

Ah, gotcha - my understanding on all these numbers and dates are just Joe's suggestions and he doesn't have power over it.  I have no issue if states want to open up more as the numbers go down.  There's probably a science to doing that and I'm sure most leaders will fail at it/the math.  I'm acknowledging in #1 of my post that Joe is using that as a good "photo op" scenario - just so happens it mostly aligns with the timing of getting most people vaccinated.  And I'll reiterate - I'm fine with "scare tactics" - anything that helps people be smart and not put themselves or others in unneeded danger when we are so close to having most of this behind us.  I would have had no issue with Trump doing it too.

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Ah, gotcha - my understanding on all these numbers and dates are just Joe's suggestions and he doesn't have power over it.  I have no issue if states want to open up more as the numbers go down.  There's probably a science to doing that and I'm sure most leaders will fail at it/the math.  I'm acknowledging in #1 of my post that Joe is using that as a good "photo op" scenario - just so happens it mostly aligns with the timing of getting most people vaccinated.  And I'll reiterate - I'm fine with "scare tactics" - anything that helps people be smart and not put themselves or others in unneeded danger when we are so close to having most of this behind us.  I would have had no issue with Trump doing it too.

Biden hasn't done it but just sick of leaders preaching the numbers, then go do the opposite.  It really leaves a bitter taste.  Whitmer has done this twice now, no doubt she will keep the power trip going for a while.  I think she shows support to Biden and uses the slow and steady approach.  

11 hours ago, FairWarning said:

The message was if you obey, you may be able to have small groups of friends over for July 4. 

Over 500,000 Americans have died due to COVID.  Let's not lose that perspective merely out of a desire to bash a political opponent.

8 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Hopefully not.  A common business (and possibly political) mantra is "under-promise; over-deliver."  Ideally, the vaccination schedule continues to exceed expectations and COVID numbers continue to decrease (assume people "obey" :rolleyes: ).  If things go well, we start returning to more normal routines in May.  But there's little to be gained by being that optimistic.  

If Biden had stated Memorial Day instead of the 4th of July, would you have expressed support for that progress and optimism?  

1 minute ago, tri-man 47 said:

Hopefully not.  A common business (and possibly political) mantra is "under-promise; over-deliver."  Ideally, the vaccination schedule continues to exceed expectations and COVID numbers continue to decrease (assume people "obey" :rolleyes: ).  If things go well, we start returning to more normal routines in May.  But there's little to be gained by being that optimistic.  

If Biden had stated Memorial Day instead of the 4th of July, would you have expressed support for that progress and optimism?  

It's not me as much as customer confidence.  Also seasonal businesses have to make some pretty tough decisions in the next couple of weeks involving July 4.  Summer selling for me ends basically the first week of August now, so yes, Memorial Day would have been far better to aim for.  

2 minutes ago, Chaz McNulty said:

There's talk of the economy growing by 6-7% in Biden's first year.  What was Trump's best year?  I think Obama had a couple 4% years.

Open everything up 100% and it'll be 6-7%.  If Biden people want to take credit for that, OK i guess.