What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daughter's job offer - how much is negotiable (1 Viewer)

SoBeDad

Footballguy
My oldest daughter just graduated with a PhD in the sciences and was offered a low 6 figure job in the SF area by a newish pharmaceutical. They also offer relocation (~$10,000), a signing bonus of $5,000, annual 15% of salary bonus (based on goals). Some stock options, 401K and no what seems like unlimited vacation, but apparently everyone is super goal-oriented so there is no abuse. 

They're asking for a counter-offer. What's typically negotiable?

My assumption is that all of this depends - but beware the "unlimited vacation".  Netflix seems to have struggled with it at first - sounds like it wasn't great for the company or the people. The mix of "super goal-oriented", "get a break so you can clear your head" and "don't take time off when it is absolutely critical" requires discipline from all parties.  Check out this article about it.   https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/netflixs-unlimited-vacation-policy-took-years-to-get-right-its-a-lesson-in-emotional-intelligence.html

My oldest daughter just graduated with a PhD in the sciences and was offered a low 6 figure job in the SF area by a newish pharmaceutical. They also offer relocation (~$10,000), a signing bonus of $5,000, annual 15% of salary bonus (based on goals). Some stock options, 401K and no what seems like unlimited vacation, but apparently everyone is super goal-oriented so there is no abuse. 

They're asking for a counter-offer. What's typically negotiable?
How many interviews did she have? Other interest from companies?

the only two things I see as negotiable are signing bonus and salary. I would focus only on salary. 

does she have any data? Other classmates finding jobs? Professor able to give advice on market range?

low six figure could mean lots of things. Does the first number start with a 1, 2, or 3? 

"newish pharmaceutical" - Is here any concern on her part about the company's stability and future?

How many interviews did she have? Other interest from companies?

the only two things I see as negotiable are signing bonus and salary. I would focus only on salary. 

does she have any data? Other classmates finding jobs? Professor able to give advice on market range?

low six figure could mean lots of things. Does the first number start with a 1, 2, or 3? 

Only one interview with industry, and some post-docs. And that one interview was actually several zoom sessions over 3 days totalling over 15 hours. With a non-disclosure due to intellectual property. 

Based on some friends in the NY & Boston area, she's gonna ask for a 5k increase in salary to $120k. For us in South Florida, that's a nice salary, but SF is expensive. She's thinking of house sharing, which might be a good idea in a new town. SF is supposedly a great city and region.

Thanks.

Only one interview with industry, and some post-docs. And that one interview was actually several zoom sessions over 3 days totalling over 15 hours. With a non-disclosure due to intellectual property. 

Based on some friends in the NY & Boston area, she's gonna ask for a 5k increase in salary to $120k. For us in South Florida, that's a nice salary, but SF is expensive. She's thinking of house sharing, which might be a good idea in a new town. SF is supposedly a great city and region.

Thanks.
That seems like a light counter. 

You only get to negotiate your first contract once. Use whatever resources to figure out something reasonable and I'd push the envelope more than that. 

Thanks.
I wouldn’t ask for anything less than $10

worst case they say no. If they say no then ask for combo of salary and improvement on signing bonus. If they say no again it’s take it or leave it 

You only get to negotiate your first contract once. Use whatever resources to figure out something reasonable and I'd push the envelope more than that. 

I wouldn’t ask for anything less than $10

worst case they say no. If they say no then ask for combo of salary and improvement on signing bonus. If they say no again it’s take it or leave it 
Agree with both here. They asked for a counter. That means they are already willing to pay more. I get that 5K is 5K, but asking for 4% is pretty small.

I would counter with +10-15%.  So around 125-130k (based on numbers above).  She could settle at 120k if that's what she's comfortable with, but counter higher.

Always get the highest starting salary you can.  Always.  

Life sciences, new-ish, in the Bay? New investor involved?

I'd be looking at salary + equity of typical PhDs in the field in SF, because the one offered seems hella low. Little bit different than the startup context, but more equity is a strong long-term play here as well, given the new investor and likelihood they'll want to take it public eventually. 

I'd ask for like 20-30% more total comp, list out a couple reference points and alternatives, and see what they say. I taught as part of the negotiations program at Stanford (Gould center), and people, especially women, do not ask for nearly enough in salary and benefits negotiations. I'd also ask about the 401(k) matching as an alternative way to increase comp which may be more palatable than base.

If she really believes in this company, negotiating increased stock options as a young person might be the shark move.  And something they may more easily give up more value in. As long as the other items are in a reasonable range I would forgo the extra minor salary bump and try to hit a home run with stock options.

If she really believes in this company, negotiating increased stock options as a young person might be the shark move.  And something they may more easily give up more value in. As long as the other items are in a reasonable range I would forgo the extra minor salary bump and try to hit a home run with stock options.
Thanks. I believe in the company. Good pedigree, successful IPO, big industry partner. But high risk, high reward indications.

How do you negotiate or research from this:

~ 3500 stock options
~1750 restricted stock units 
~can purchase additional stock at 15% discount from trading price 

Look at me!!

My daughter has a PhD!!

Oh yeah??  My daughter works at Panera Bread!!
Actually, my other daughter moved to LA a few months ago and is still struggling to find a steady good job. There is a thread on her. The difference between a technical degree and non-technical degree in play. 

Yeah I'd push for the stock options too if she really believes in them.

Extra salary is awesome (and obviously anything she gets now will stack up year over year and compound for the rest of her career) but stock in the right company is how you retire at 50 with crazy money in the bank.

I like my career and I've gotten to a good spot,  but I have friends that jumped into startup companies (one in pharma actually) that are on the cusp of HUGE paydays

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'd push for the stock options too if she really believes in them.

Extra salary is awesome (and obviously anything she gets now will stack up year over year and compound for the rest of her career) but stock in the right company is how you retire at 50 with crazy money in the bank.

I like my career and I've gotten to a good spot,  but I have friends that jumped into startup companies (one in pharma actually) that are on the cusp of HUGE paydays
Which round of fundraising is the company in and who are the main backers (this does actually matter for what she should ask for)?

If the backers are heavyweights in the industry and assuming this is what she wants to do, I'd ask for a little bump in salary, but concentrate on the stock options.  Those are pretty fungible to the company.

Which round of fundraising is the company in and who are the main backers (this does actually matter for what she should ask for)?

If the backers are heavyweights in the industry and assuming this is what she wants to do, I'd ask for a little bump in salary, but concentrate on the stock options.  Those are pretty fungible to the company.
There was an IPO in 2017 ($100M+), preceded by equity financing of $200M+. Recently,  almost a billion from a large partner for collaboration.

I'm not familiar with the implications of stock options.

There was an IPO in 2017 ($100M+), preceded by equity financing of $200M+. Recently,  almost a billion from a large partner for collaboration.

I'm not familiar with the implications of stock options.
To me, this reads as "already publicly traded" - which makes equity somewhat less exciting, but not in a dealbreaking way. 

Things she should be asking to value options:

• Option strike price: (how much does it cost her to convert the option to actual stock) - to a large extent, a public company stock option's value is "how much less would it cost me to exercise the option (buy the stock at the preset price stated by option) than to just buy the stock myself?
  • How long do the RSUs take to vest, and via what mechanism? (when do they become actual stock?) - an RSU is like giving you the stock (usually no exercise price or anything) but you don't get them until you meet thresholds like "3 years since they were granted" when they magically then become stock. If she changes jobs in 4 years, and they were vesting at a "cliff" on her 5th year, she gets nothing.
  • The ESPP (employee stock purchase plan) is the name for the "buy at a 15% discount" thing - when can she do this and is there a limit? For the most part, the smartest way to do this is buy the absolute maximum, and immediately sell the stock. You just get a 15% bonus of whatever value you're allowed to put into it.

To me, this reads as "already publicly traded" - which makes equity somewhat less exciting, but not in a dealbreaking way. 

Things she should be asking to value options:

• Option strike price: (how much does it cost her to convert the option to actual stock) - to a large extent, a public company stock option's value is "how much less would it cost me to exercise the option (buy the stock at the preset price stated by option) than to just buy the stock myself?
  • How long do the RSUs take to vest, and via what mechanism? (when do they become actual stock?) - an RSU is like giving you the stock (usually no exercise price or anything) but you don't get them until you meet thresholds like "3 years since they were granted" when they magically then become stock. If she changes jobs in 4 years, and they were vesting at a "cliff" on her 5th year, she gets nothing.
  • The ESPP (employee stock purchase plan) is the name for the "buy at a 15% discount" thing - when can she do this and is there a limit? For the most part, the smartest way to do this is buy the absolute maximum, and immediately sell the stock. You just get a 15% bonus of whatever value you're allowed to put into it.
Thanks. Yes, publicly traded. They plan to send a contract as soon as she counter offers. I think the counter offer is mainly for salary, this is new for her, and I have no experience.

I guess those details would be in the contract. She also mentioned:

~1750 restricted stock units 
~can purchase additional stock at 15% discount from trading price, which must be the ESPP.

Signing bonus is probably where they have the most wiggle room since it's a one-time expense. $5k seems light. I'd ask for $10-15k. She'll want to provide some justification for the ask, but I'd think saying it's needed to help get housing settled or something is legitimate.

Might be able to get another $5-10k in salary too. Start at $15k signing bonus and $130k salary. Maybe they come back with $120k salary and $10k bonus. 

ETA: I missed the restricted stock units (RSUs). They might be willing to throw in another bunch there, which doesn't really cost them anything. 

I like this one.  I would also go for a 15% increase in salary.  San Fran is pretty expensive.  

Shrewd move is to forgo the salary and they only have to pay her a penny for her first day. But, each day she is there, they double the amount of the previous day.   Pretty sure this will work out to more than her salary after a year or so. 

If no movement on salary, at least get a private bathroom or some salted snacks. 

I'm in the industry and its mostly been covered- generally, certain things are in the grade level of the position (Sr. Scientist, etc), those generally are bonus % and yearly stock or long term incentives. Each grade also has a salary range they have to keep the offer in, as well as comparing the offer to others of her grade level so there aren't internal issues. 

I would ask for an increased salary for sure, and additional sign on in either cash or stock. Those they can negotiate. I doubt yearly stock they will. 

SF and NJ are similar high COL places and low 6 figures sounds about right for a PhD with no experience, but small companies will sometimes pay more to attract talent. I'd ask for ~10% more as most hiring managers won't balk at that even if they split the difference. 

Thanks. I believe in the company. Good pedigree, successful IPO, big industry partner. But high risk, high reward indications.

~ 3500 stock options
Since it seems to be a public company it opens up more research options.  Go look at see at what some lower level execs are getting and go down from there. What's fair and attainable really depends on her industry. A tool like Payscale may come in handy. https://www.payscale.com/my/survey/choose

SF is expensive but has also had more people leave during the pandemic that any other major metro. Probably due to cost and job portability. Not sure what the long term implications are but near to mid term now may be a window to move there.

I remember seeing an article a while ago about a study that said negotiating with exact dollar amounts rather than nice round amounts is better, even if the rounded amount is more. For example, asking for $119,275 could lead to a higher final number than asking for $120,000. I can't remember why the study thinks that's true. Maybe it has something to do with exact amounts showing that a lot of thought has been put into it? IDK. Just an FYI.

~ 3500 stock options
Is this a sign on equity grant or yearly? Assuming they have the same/ similar setup as other biotechs- The stock options are going to be your high risk high reward portion, so if she starts and the stock price is $10, and its $15 when they vest and she wants to sell they are worth 5*$3500 so $17,500. If the stock is flat they are worthless. 

The RSUs are full shares and their value is pretty easy to calculate at least at a present value as they are full shares. Again the shares are $10 so they are worth $17500 now, and more if the stock increases, again depending on vesting schedule. 

Thanks. Yes, publicly traded. They plan to send a contract as soon as she counter offers. I think the counter offer is mainly for salary, this is new for her, and I have no experience.

I guess those details would be in the contract. She also mentioned:

~1750 restricted stock units 
~can purchase additional stock at 15% discount from trading price, which must be the ESPP.
A restricted stock unit is an "RSU". Here's the key question for RSUs:

How long do the RSUs take to vest, and via what mechanism? (when do they become actual stock?) - an RSU is like giving you the stock (usually no exercise price or anything) but you don't get them until you meet thresholds like "3 years since they were granted" when they magically then become stock. If she changes jobs in 4 years, and they were vesting at a "cliff" on her 5th year, she gets nothing.

Tell her to go talk to the head administrators in her college program.  They should have notional data or if they don't would be able to point her to the right people/alumni/etc. who do.  

Also curious what the market is like with COVID...maybe it's not a great offer b/c there aren't a lot of places hiring :shrug:

Thanks for all the great advice. My daughter flew to SF yesterday and starts training tomorrow. She'll be in an Airbnb for a few weeks, which gives her time to scout out SF for more permanent housing, and eventually get a car, which would be her first. The company is providing Uber/Lyft to and from work.

She asked for 9k more in salary and 5k more in signing bonus. They gave her 5k more in salary and 2.5 k in signing. She asked for a later start date, but they declined. Turns out the company didn't really "ask" for a counter offer, they just gave  her an offer and said "any questions?". But her friends mainly in the NY area in engineering, finance and computer science said you should always counter.  

The company has many brain targets, including Parkinson, ALS and Frontotemporal dementia. Hopefully, they will be successful. 

Thanks.

The bolded is pretty clutch.

This is one of the few times in life where you have real leverage. It’s important to get it right.

According to Robert Half, 3 out of 5 professionals do not negotiate their salary. Primary reason is the stress it creates. This is an irrational and unfounded fear. Nobody ever gets an offer pulled for asking for what they want. Nobody gets what they want without asking.

Focus primarily on the base pay. Actually, make that EXCLUSIVELY. Remember every increase in the future pivots off the starting point. Come prepared to justify what you asking for. Industry comps, COL, trends, expected growth, et al. The prospective employer has already telegraphed there is wiggle room, but for anyone reading this, remember virtually every offer comes with a built in expectation “this is what we are offering, but we’re prepared to up that to X to bring them onboard.”

GENERAL rule - that’s usually around 5-10% in most situations.

She’s in a GREAT position because they didn’t ask her for a number first.

@SoBeDad - you didn’t reveal her offer specifically but said low end of 6 figures and she’s thinking of asking for $5K more. If her goal is to just be done with this unpleasantry then that’s an automatic YES from her new employer. Congrats, let’s celebrate.

But just for giggles make up a simple spreadsheet. Here’s X+5K, and next year’s 7.5% increase, and the 4-5-6 increases that follow, and the 10% increase in year 5 when she has more responsibility and is just hitting her stride.

Now do the same for X+10K and then a third one for X+15K, etc. It’s a pretty dramatic ripple effect and seeing those numbers will steel her resolve to ask for what she’s worth.

IDK what low six figure means. To me it’s anything in the 24% bracket (up to $163.3K), to others it’s a misnomer bc they mean “just over $100K.“

Whatever it is, I would submit she asks for 12-15% more. Aggressive but they’ll either say yes or counter the counter with something around 8-10%. At that point everybody will be ready to move on to happier subjects.

This is a win-win situation. She’s getting a nice starting gig, and they’re getting a great candidate. Everyone should feel great about this process, it’s not a grind - at all.

She can start off by thanking them for the phenomenal opportunity, praise them for legit positives (great environment, stellar management, industry leading objectives - whatever.) Explain how she’s really excited about coming on board. But her expectations were for a higher base.

”What were you hoping for?”

”What’s possible?”

or maybe

”We have pay scales / ranges for first year professionals, we have to stay within those guidelines.”

”Understood. That makes sense. What were the circumstances when you deviated from that policy? I’m really excited to be part of this and I’d like to understand how we can best get to yes.”

or

“Do you have latitude to work this out? Or would this be a multiple step process where you’ll have to seek approval? I’m really hoping you and I can work this out.”

The theme I’m suggesting here is to be persistent in what she’s asking for while reiterating how excited she is to join the team.

GL GB. My oldest recently went to work for a large defense contractor as an engineer. It’s such a great feeling to see our kids excel.

I’d also have her make the attempt to get a small bump in the signing bonus. But only after settling on the base - keep the negotiations segregated, and be more aggressive in getting the base she wants.

Less is more in the second round. She doesn’t want to turn this into a wrestling match. But funny thing is, it’ll take less pressure/resolve in step two. They really, really want to get to acceptance at that point. Human nature kind of thing. But if she gives a little more in the less important negotiation (signing bonus), it’ll make for positive vibes as they wrap up the package.

Is it typical for companies to ask for a counter-offer? 
Must be a very competitive job market for her job. I would say that gives the green light to negotiate everything. Counter with her ideal situation. Prioritize what is important to her and ask for more. They are asking for the counter so the worse is they come back and say no or counter again- maybe they accept if what is being asked isn't silly.

Thanks.
$120K will not go very far at all in the SF area. NY would be much closer to SF than Boston (assuming we are not talking burbs or something). I wouldn't use Boston to comp out the salaries at all. 

I remember trying to negotiate the base of my first job out of college (management consulting).  They looked at me like I had four heads.  Good for your daughter SoBe! 

If someone makes you an offer and then asks for a counter, everything is negotiable.   SF is ungodly expensive.   I'd ask for higher salary,  a higher signing bonus and either a living allowance or a travel allowance since she's probably going to have to commute.    I'd ask for at least an additional 15-20% across the board.

I don't understand anyone in here that is essentially saying you make a good impression with the company by screwing yourself and taking a hit on salary or bonus.   What a weird world view.   Corporations aren't loyal to anyone, and when it comes time to lay you off they aren't going to say, "we'll keep her--she only asked for a 5% bump on her signing bonus."

If the company wants post-doc talent, they'll pay for it.  

I used to work in the legal department of a privately owned company with about 800 employees. One of our groups gave a new grad an offer, I think in the range of $65k or so. He replied, asking for $10-15k more.  I can only imagine he read something or had a discussion with some friends along the lines discussed here. The manager discussed it with his team and they decided to pull the offer. They checked with legal first, which is the only reason I know about this, but I think it’s an interesting story. They talked about the offer and decided the kid rubbed them all a bit wrong, specifically because he gave off an impression that the job was beneath him or he was worth more. When he asked for more money, everyone agreed they’d prefer one of the other candidates.  

Major said:
I remember trying to negotiate the base of my first job out of college (management consulting).  They looked at me like I had four heads.  Good for your daughter SoBe! 
Yup.  I asked if they could increase the signing bonus.   They said No.  I said Ok.   

CletiusMaximus said:
I used to work in the legal department of a privately owned company with about 800 employees. One of our groups gave a new grad an offer, I think in the range of $65k or so. He replied, asking for $10-15k more.  I can only imagine he read something or had a discussion with some friends along the lines discussed here. The manager discussed it with his team and they decided to pull the offer. They checked with legal first, which is the only reason I know about this, but I think it’s an interesting story. They talked about the offer and decided the kid rubbed them all a bit wrong, specifically because he gave off an impression that the job was beneath him or he was worth more. When he asked for more money, everyone agreed they’d prefer one of the other candidates.  

:lmao:

JFC 

Users who are viewing this thread