What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Needed Structural Reforms (1 Viewer)

I was about to type up a similar response, but then I decided that I'm not sure I really agree with this argument anymore.  You're 100% right that a national primary would strongly favor well-known, well-financed establishment-type candidates.  Then again, that's what we've ended up with in every election from 1980 up to 2016.  I suppose Carter is probably an example of the kind of guy who needed staggered primaries to get going -- has there been a more recent example?  I know some people will point to Obama in 2008 but he had a huge national presence heading into that race, not at all comparable to someone like Buttigieg. 

And besides, in a post-Trump world, I have a new appreciation for establishment candidates who their party can unify behind.

Regardless, I've become strongly convinced that our election season is way, way, WAY too long.  It is absurd and unhealthy that we start this process nearly two years before election day.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why we need to start holding primaries in February and draw out the calendar to allow for eleventy-million "debates" featuring fifth-tier candidates vying to cram in their stupid viral soundbites.  I don't know that a national primary is the right answer; I'm inclined to say it's not.  But we should find some way to dramatically shorten the election period.
Wouldn't Clinton in '92 qualify?

Also, just to be the "that guy," threads about government reform always feature calls for term limits and campaign finance reform.  Those are both bad ideas, and the latter has the extra wrinkle of being unconstitutional.
To be fair (insert Letterkenny reference here), "campaign finance reform" itself isn't unconstitutional.  Most/many of the methods attempted so far to implement campaign finance reform have been, but that doesn't mean that there is no possible method ever that would be constitutional.  For example, I think one could classify "immediate, mandatory, public recording of all dollars and their source" as "campaign finance reform", and I don't believe such a requirement would be unconstitutional.

Get rid of the filibuster.  I'm not a majoritarian -- I'm all in favor of limited government, so I generally favor things that make it harder for majorities to govern.  But we already have a bunch of those things already -- bicameralism, the presidential veto, enumerated powers, the bill of rights, federalism, judicial review (overlaps with the last few items), etc.  On the margin, the legislative filibuster is taking counter-majoritarianism a little too far. 

I put this one out there as low-hanging fruit.  It doesn't require a constitutional amendment, legislation, regulatory rule-making, or cooperation from any other branch of government or any agency or any court.  All it takes is 51 senators deciding to do it.
I don't know.  I'd prefer to take a more step-wise, logical approach.

If we take a step back and think about the intent of filibuster, I think it's pretty clear that the original intent was to encourage bipartisanship.  Before we say "filibuster is bad" and dump it, let's evaluate whether the intent was worthy.  I think encouraging bipartisanship is a worthy goal.  I'll assume for the moment that you do as well (feel free to correct me if I'm assuming too much).

So, let's next evaluate whether the filibuster actually does encourage bipartisanship.  In practice, I'd agree it doesn't.  Why?  I'd suggest in part, it doesn't because the minority party believes that rather than cooperate now, it can simply wait until it becomes the majority party in the next election.  But getting rid of the filibuster doesn't resolve that issue, it exacerbates it by encouraging the minority party to become even more intransigent.  Sure, you say, but at least the majority party would be able to get something/anything done, if they only need 51 votes instead of 60.  I'd agree, but by doing so, we've essentially given up all hope at bipartisanship and instead will devolve into a never-ending cycle of each party pushing through everything it can during a 2-4 year window, lose majority status and sit on the sidelines, regain majority status after 2-4 years, undo everything the previous majority did, and repeat.

Maybe we should instead consider whether there's a different method to encourage actual bipartisanship?

This harkens back a long way, possibly even all the way back to Ol' Yeller, but I have a vague recollection of @Maurile Tremblay or @Yankee23Fan (or maybe is was you?) posting an idea that perhaps the path to bipartisanship is to require that ALL legislation require a 2/3 majority, while simultaneously only requiring a simple majority to repeal legislation.  Maybe we need to consider more out of the box thinking like that instead.

If we take a step back and think about the intent of filibuster, I think it's pretty clear that the original intent was to encourage bipartisanship. 
There was never any original intent for anything behind the filibuster.  It's a historical loophole in senate rules that got codified over time because people realized that it was there and started abusing it as a way to win matches.  It's like a known glitch in a multiplayer game -- you can keep changing the rules to accommodate the glitch if you want, but a better solution is to patch the game.

There was never any original intent for anything behind the filibuster.  It's a historical loophole in senate rules that got codified over time because people realized that it was there and started abusing it as a way to win matches.  It's like a known glitch in a multiplayer game -- you can keep changing the rules to accommodate the glitch if you want, but a better solution is to patch the game.
Fair enough.  Maybe the appropriate patch isn't to eliminate the filibuster but to require 2/3 supermajority for all legislation (or some other idea)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough.  Maybe the appropriate patch isn't to eliminate the filibuster but to require 2/3 supermajority for all legislation?
I'm not opposed to something like this as a matter of principle.  My gut says that that's going too far in the counter-majoritarian direction on the spectrum (and I say that as somebody who is a big fan of certain flavors of counter-majoritarianism), but that's really just an immediate intuitive reaction with nothing empirical behind it at the moment.

As long as our highly polarized and fractured media and social network ecosystems continue to persist, reforms at the government level will be ineffective.  I have no idea how we come back from where we are on that front though.

politically, in my mind the two most effective tools to fix our government’s inability to address big issues would be the elimination of gerrymandering, making more house seats competitive, and a return of earmarks that historically drove compromise.

how did the civil rights act get passed? Because a NASA research facility at Purdue was authorized in the bill, in House GOP leader Halleck’s home district.

I’d like the House and Senate to change their procedures to make it easier for the minority party to put a bill up for a vote.  I know there’s some sort of arcane parliamentary procedure to force a vote but I don’t know exactly how it works and it can’t be that good because it’s seldom used.

This would change the stranglehold that McConnell (and now Schumer) have over what gets considered.  It would also greatly increase transparency because members would then be forced to vote on difficult bills instead of being protected from doing so by the majority leader.

I think the Democratic majorities could change these rules on their own.  And because it would actually be giving up some power to Republicans I think it could be something that helps unify rather than divide.

I haven't thought TOO much about this so maybe someone can persuade me I'm wrong but:

The number of positions appointed by the President that must be confirmed by the Senate should be reduced from about 1200 to around 20. 

ETA:  I mean administration positions not judicial appointments.  Those should still go through the confirmation process.

I haven't thought TOO much about this so maybe someone can persuade me I'm wrong but:

The number of positions appointed by the President that must be confirmed by the Senate should be reduced from about 1200 to around 20. 

ETA:  I mean administration positions not judicial appointments.  Those should still go through the confirmation process.
Why?

Well, for one thing we've just seen what happens when a President can't get his nominees confirmed -- he just uses them anyway without Senate confirmation.  So I really fail to see any way that the process promotes good governance.  But more importantly, the process is just broken. The minority party tries to drag out the confirmation process, even of relatively uncontroversial nominees, just to chew up Senate time.  Presidents nominate people to less-than-ideal positions based on their likelihood of getting through the confirmation process.  From my perspective, confirming over 1000 people has lots of downsides and virtually no upside.

I'd be more inclined to give Congress fewer powers to stop appointments and greater powers to remove people that are clearly incompetent/corrupt/etc.

ETA:  And just for a personal anecdote, I have a good friend from high school that just had a Senate-confirmed position in the Trump administration.  This guy should not have been controversial at all.  But it took many months for him to get his Senate confirmation.  Because the Senate rule is that there can be up to 30 hours of debate on any nominee.  And there was no way Mitch McConnell was going to use up 30 hours of Senate time just so he could get my buddy confirmed as the deputy secretary of some agency.  So, like most nominees, he had to wait until Schumer and McConnell negotiated a deal about the amount of debate time, etc.  Of course, meanwhile, he was basically doing the job before he was even confirmed.  So how does any of this make any sense?

Well, for one thing we've just seen what happens when a President can't get his nominees confirmed -- he just uses them anyway without Senate confirmation.  So I really fail to see any way that the process promotes good governance.  But more importantly, the process is just broken. The minority party tries to drag out the confirmation process, even of relatively uncontroversial nominees, just to chew up Senate time.  Presidents nominate people to less-than-ideal positions based on their likelihood of getting through the confirmation process.  From my perspective, confirming over 1000 people has lots of downsides and virtually no upside.

I'd be more inclined to give Congress fewer powers to stop appointments and greater powers to remove people that are clearly incompetent/corrupt/etc.

ETA:  And just for a personal anecdote, I have a good friend from high school that just had a Senate-confirmed position in the Trump administration.  This guy should not have been controversial at all.  But it took many months for him to get his Senate confirmation.  Because the Senate rule is that there can be up to 30 hours of debate on any nominee.  And there was no way Mitch McConnell was going to use up 30 hours of Senate time just so he could get my buddy confirmed as the deputy secretary of some agency.  So, like most nominees, he had to wait until Schumer and McConnell negotiated a deal about the amount of debate time, etc.  Of course, meanwhile, he was basically doing the job before he was even confirmed.  So how does any of this make any sense?
Great points, makes sense now.  I love the bolded.

Users who are viewing this thread