What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Georgia: the Battle for the Senate (1 Viewer)

I’m pleasantly surprised. 

In races like this it really becomes evident how important the black voting block is for the Democratic Party. 

Like I told someone earlier, two years from now Trump or "but Trump" will be in the top 5 posts of this forum over half the time. 
Oh sweet Jesus please no.

If Biden’s press secretary opens their first press conference fighting about the reported crowd size of the inauguration I’ll have a nice cry.

I was pleasantly surprised that Biden won Georgia.  Trump is historically awful so I wasn’t shocked he lost the state.  But I am shocked about this and there’s really only one explanation - Trump is a cancer to the GOP.  If you consider yourself a Republican then you have to hope that Trump somehow goes away.  It won’t get better for him or his political brand.
As soon as he’s no longer useful they can’t wait to dump him. If he can’t deliver votes they’ll be like “Trump...Trump who”.

Hopefully you all down there showed us the way!

I agree with your previous post about the good job that Abrams did but there’s no way around the fact that the job she did was infinitely easier because of one thing - Donald Trump.  
Would you say Trump cost Perdue more votes in suburban ATL than he picked up for him in the rural counties?  To me that is the question.  Perdue ran ahead of Trump in the general so some people in those areas clearly were willing to vote Perdue but not Trump.  I liken Trump in rural areas to a smaller scale of what Abrams did, increased turnout.  We likely can never prove our belief either way.  I just don't think going forward a R wins in GA statewide without countering what Abrams has done, that is even if Donald Trump is gone in 2 years or 4 years.  That's why I believe the way I do, and admittedly it's just an opinion, but the delta in votes from prior years, not just November, that shifted these things are in ATL and that part is just mathematically factual.

Would you say Trump cost Perdue more votes in suburban ATL than he picked up for him in the rural counties?  To me that is the question.  Perdue ran ahead of Trump in the general so some people in those areas clearly were willing to vote Perdue but not Trump.  I liken Trump in rural areas to a smaller scale of what Abrams did, increased turnout.  We likely can never prove our belief either way.  I just don't think going forward a R wins in GA statewide without countering what Abrams has done, that is even if Donald Trump is gone in 2 years or 4 years.  That's why I believe the way I do, and admittedly it's just an opinion, but the delta in votes from prior years, not just November, that shifted these things are in ATL and that part is just mathematically factual.
Georgia was heading purple before Trump (mainly due to changing demographics) - but Trump escalated it.  I think if the GOP can distance themselves from Trump and elect a solid candidate that they could take the seat back in 2 years.

He very well may be right, many Trump voters were never Republicans to begin with though.  It's a reshifting of coalitions.  I read the statement bolded below in an article talking about Trump's unconventional nature and felt it was pretty spot on:

Trump's political career will ultimately result in a realignment of American politics that may redefine ideological lines more focused on globalist versus nationalist and populist versus establishment dichotomies.

I don't see the old Republican party reconstituting in what it was.

Georgia was heading purple before Trump (mainly due to changing demographics) - but Trump escalated it.  I think if the GOP can distance themselves from Trump and elect a solid candidate that they could take the seat back in 2 years.
It will be an interesting race for sure.  We don't know what the GA R's will do in the meantime but that's the one race I have no idea what to expect.  We know Burr, if he runs again, in NC will be tight and we know Toomey in PA will be tight.

He very well may be right, many Trump voters were never Republicans to begin with though.  It's a reshifting of coalitions.  I read the statement bolded below in an article talking about Trump's unconventional nature and felt it was pretty spot on:

Trump's political career will ultimately result in a realignment of American politics that may redefine ideological lines more focused on globalist versus nationalist and populist versus establishment dichotomies.

I don't see the old Republican party reconstituting in what it was.
While I get your point, I’m not sure I agree. Nobody is really going to remember Trump for anything other than being an outsider and then just a truly horrible person.  That’s why people are obsessed with him - it’s not really his politics, it’s him as a person.  Half the country looks at him and says “how is it possible to vote for this person?”.  I totally get why people hate Biden’s politics but he’s a decent person - and he was unbelievably lucky to run against someone who isn’t.

Dave Wasserman  @Redistrict

14m

Fact: Whitfield Co., where Trump held his pre-election rally, turned out at just 86.1% of November levels. The state as a whole is on track to exceed 89% of November levels.

It would be easy for a Republican to win in Georgia, or anywhere else: stand for rational limited government, pro business solutions. Don’t peddle fear and conspiracy nonsense. 

Ossoff seems to be kind of running into a wall ... having a hard time staying within 1,000. I'm sure it's just a function of how and when certain votes are getting reported, but still.

In all seriousness, I don't hate Joe Biden.  I hope he does well as I would for any President.  I'm hoping he's stronger than I've given him credit for.  It's foolish for me to hope otherwise, if a President fails it does me no good.
Good for you. I wrote almost the exact same words here  about President Trump the day after he was elected. I wish he had done better, especially with regard to COVID. 

While I get your point, I’m not sure I agree. Nobody is really going to remember Trump for anything other than being an outsider and then just a truly horrible person.  That’s why people are obsessed with him - it’s not really his politics, it’s him as a person.  Half the country looks at him and says “how is it possible to vote for this person?”.  I totally get why people hate Biden’s politics but he’s a decent person - and he was unbelievably lucky to run against someone who isn’t.
I'm exactly the opposite so I get I may be a minority, but there are people who think Biden is a better person than Trump but voted for Trump for policy reasons.  I doubt we would like many of our politicians if we knew them well.  The few I know personally aren't really great people.  But I do understand that Trump lost for personality reasons and likeability.  Time will tell if the shifts are lasting.  I think in some respects that a shift has already been locked in as the old style R party is no more.

I'm exactly the opposite so I get I may be a minority, but there are people who think Biden is a better person than Trump but voted for Trump for policy reasons.  I doubt we would like many of our politicians if we knew them well.  The few I know personally aren't really great people.  But I do understand that Trump lost for personality reasons and likeability.  Time will tell if the shifts are lasting.  I think in some respects that a shift has already been locked in as the old style R party is no more.
I think Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower, and Harry Truman were great men. I think Barack Obama is a fine man. And John McCain was a tremendous human being and hero. 

I think Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower, and Harry Truman were great men. I think Barack Obama is a fine man. And John McCain was a tremendous human being and hero. 
I'm not sure they'd all be viewed that way if they were under today's scrutiny.  Certainly Obama being more recent is the biggest exception to that.  But I'm good with however people want to view them personally, it's more about policy.  Take Truman, he's come under fire some in recent years for his decision to use the bomb on Japan.  As the son of an army infantryman who had just liberated Manila and would have had to be part of an invasion of mainland Japan, I'm thankful to God he made the decision that he did.

Meanwhile...in Trumpland...

@realDonaldTrump: If Vice President @Mike_Pence comes through for us, we will win the Presidency. Many States want to decertify the mistake they made in certifying incorrect & even fraudulent numbers in a process  NOT approved by their State Legislatures (which it must be). Mike can send it back!

@jaketapper: He won’t and 
You won’t and 
They don’t and 
They didn’t and 
It wasn’t and
He can’t 

Otherwise, good tweet 👍🏻

Ossoff seems to be kind of running into a wall ... having a hard time staying within 1,000. I'm sure it's just a function of how and when certain votes are getting reported, but still.
Purdue gained ground on the latest vote dump, but less than he should have in the NYT model.  It didn't move the needle much, but if anything it made an Ossoff victory more likely. 

There's 20K coming from Dekalb still, which will be approx 80% in his corner.

So 16K - the 4K for Purdon't = a 12K pop coming.

Reagan was a better actor than he was a President.  And he got upstaged by a chimpanzee.
Reagan was a trash human being but a good politician. 

Reagan, Clinton & Obama are the best politicians that became POTUS of the last 50 years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ossoff now with a 3k+ vote lead.  Thinking it’s safe to go to bed now.
I keep saying it.  Do the math for DeKalb.  He will have about a 10K lead after they're done there.

DeKalb was 80+% for Biden and Ossoff is tracking even higher, with maybe 12K left.  The fat lady is about to swallow Mitch, you're good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Wasserman @Redistrict

I've seen enough. Lauren "Bubba" McDonald, Jr. (R) wins reelection to GA's Public Service Commission, defeating Daniel Blackman (D). Republicans avoid a total Dem sweep.

Dave Wasserman  @Redistrict

p.s. Feel free to slap a label on this one, @Twitter. I'm going to bed.
Note: Twitter did not flag the Bubba McDonald call. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread