Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Georgia: the Battle for the Senate


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trump came in with the presidency, the senate and the house and over 4 years lost all 3 of them. Sometimes you actually do reap what you sow. 

Before and shortly after the election, I was part of the tiny little sliver of the electorate that wanted to see a Biden victory with the GOP retaining control of the senate.  Basically a return to no

I feel bad for the people who are so gripped with fear, and so afraid of everything, that they would support this man just because he talks tough. He's the biggest coward of them all.

Just now, Shatner! said:

90 percent of current count is early vote. That takes alot of shine off the leads.

If you're cheering for the blue team you just need to look at the turnout ratios for the 100% reported counties to see the R problem.  The red counties are running typically in mid-high 80s turnout compared to November.  Compared to the blue counties, who appear to be on track to match November, it's not going to be enough.  Just running the straight mathematical trend lines looks bad.  The R's got caught flat footed there not seeing the danger and ability of Abrams to get low intensity voters to just mail in an envelope versus having to go stand in line at a polling place.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The General said:

This is a great call. If Dems pull out both these seats, I think Tom Perez better start getting prepped for a new gig.

He can be her executive assistant. Get her coffee, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Well that comment by Perdue about “Kamalamala” was pretty ugly. 

Loeffler said she was “right of Atilla the Hun” at one point, right?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shula-holic said:

If you're cheering for the blue team you just need to look at the turnout ratios for the 100% reported counties to see the R problem.  The red counties are running typically in mid-high 80s turnout compared to November.  Compared to the blue counties, who appear to be on track to match November, it's not going to be enough.  Just running the straight mathematical trend lines looks bad.  The R's got caught flat footed there not seeing the danger and ability of Abrams to get low intensity voters to just mail in an envelope versus having to go stand in line at a polling place.

I'm cheering for America.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The General said:

This is a great call. If Dems pull out both these seats, I think Tom Perez better start getting prepped for a new gig.

Thats not how Dems work.

You have to "pay your dues" for years toiling for the DNC agenda.  I am not sure they open the books to an outsider to the national political machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, the rover said:

Loeffler said she was “right of Atilla the Hun” at one point, right?

Man, how sad is it that I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Question for the peanut gallery - Does anyone concede either race?  Tonight? This week?  Ever?

Pretty sure the protocol is to call the governor and tell him to find the votes to make them the winner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the rover said:

Loeffler said she was “right of Atilla the Hun” at one point, right?

The moment Loeffler got in bed, figuratively, with Marjorie Taylor Greene - I thought there is a candidate with no moral compass of her own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Me too, we just have different views of what's better for America.

Specifically, I'm greatly disturbed at what Trump and his supporters have normalized as OK behavior in our Democratic Republic. It's extremely dangerous and needs to be stopped in its tracks. It Trumps, forgive the pun, any and all other policy issues at the moment.

Edited by Shatner!
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

The moment Loeffler got in bed, figuratively, with Marjorie Taylor Greene - I thought there is a candidate with no moral compass of her own.

This is a symptom of the R problem.  There's a fractured party between the hardest right of the Trump supporters, those who only vote when he's on the ballot, and those who are never-Trumpers.  There's obviously a large "middle" that votes R either way, but until the R's can somehow reconcile those groups together, it's going to be tough sledding.  The one silver lining for the R's could be if the D's have control of both chambers and the Presidency, there's now a greater likelihood of regaining the House in '22.  The margin is already slim and the public tends to not like having one party control.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shula-holic said:

Me too, we just have different views of what's better for America.

Meh - I don't think the outcome tonight - no matter how it ends, really changes the trajectory for the next two years.

About the only tangible thing to come from this will be new stimulus checks.

 

Otherwise - Dems won't repeal the filibuster rules (they won't have the votes) - and most legislation will still require 60 votes in the Senate - which ensures incremental moves, not monumental shifts.  McConnell won't be able to stonewall and Shumer can bring things up for votes if the Dems win tonight - but otherwise, it will take compromise to get things done - and I think we all win when we get things done in that manner.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shatner! said:

Specifically, I'm greatly disturbed at what Trump and his supporters have normalized as OK behavior in our Democratic Republic. It's extremely dangerous and needs to be stopped in its tracks. It Trumps, forgive the pun, any and all other policy issues at the moment.

I get it.  Trump is already out.  I voted for Trump, but I've moved on.  I think we are better off with split government in this situation.  Like I said earlier, Joe Manchin just got really powerful.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shatner! said:

Specifically, I'm greatly disturbed at what Trump and his supporters have normalized as OK behavior in our Democratic Republic. It's extremely dangerous and needs to be stopped in it's tracks. It Trump's, forgive the pun, any and all other policy issues at the moment.

So, after 4 years of "Get Trump", looting business, burning neighborhoods, sjw purity tests, allegations-as-absolute-fact (sjw stuff again) you've come to the conclusion that it's Trump and his supporters that have normalized bad behavior?  Really?  Nobody else involved?  

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

Thats not how Dems work.

You have to "pay your dues" for years toiling for the DNC agenda.  I am not sure they open the books to an outsider to the national political machine.

That sounds right, although I'm not super familiar with this.

Dems pulling out the presidential and both seats in GA is some amazing work. Would be smart to get her in some much more influential posistions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Long way to go guys. Honestly not sure there is anyway to predict how this ends up now. It is going to be close. 

Learn from election night, take the heavy dogs now. 

Of course I want to lose. Sort of a D campaign contribution. 

Edited by 2Squirrels1Nut
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

The moment Loeffler got in bed, figuratively, with Marjorie Taylor Greene - I thought there is a candidate with no moral compass of her own.

I have no idea who this is, but go on...:popcorn:

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Meh - I don't think the outcome tonight - no matter how it ends, really changes the trajectory for the next two years.

About the only tangible thing to come from this will be new stimulus checks.

 

Otherwise - Dems won't repeal the filibuster rules (they won't have the votes) - and most legislation will still require 60 votes in the Senate - which ensures incremental moves, not monumental shifts.  McConnell won't be able to stonewall and Shumer can bring things up for votes if the Dems win tonight - but otherwise, it will take compromise to get things done - and I think we all win when we get things done in that manner.

Largely I agree.  Joe Manchin isn't lurching far left and we know that. I do think in some ways this opens up the House more in '22.  Time will tell, it really depends on if the R's unravel in the chasm like they have in GA.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sinn Fein said:

Meh - I don't think the outcome tonight - no matter how it ends, really changes the trajectory for the next two years.

About the only tangible thing to come from this will be new stimulus checks.

 

Otherwise - Dems won't repeal the filibuster rules (they won't have the votes) - and most legislation will still require 60 votes in the Senate - which ensures incremental moves, not monumental shifts.  McConnell won't be able to stonewall and Shumer can bring things up for votes if the Dems win tonight - but otherwise, it will take compromise to get things done - and I think we all win when we get things done in that manner.

And - I think Biden's primary focus for the first 2 years will be Covid, vaccination distribution, economic stimulus, and then some low hanging infrastructure wins.  There is no time for the Dem to take up sweeping contentious issues in the near term

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Yeah I had a good buddy who was on the '97 Jays with him.  We went to see him over in Atlanta at the team hotel.  That team had Roger Clemens as well.  Clemens milled around with friends and family, Canseco gave the big league treatment to the little kids there even with the team etc.  Wouldn't even take pics with kids.  I'd met him a few other times but usually in those settings things are relaxed but he had the same attitude either way.

Ran into him maybe 10 years ago in Vegas and my friend played in a poker tournament with him. He still looks jacked up on steroids and was acting and playing like an idiot. My friend knocked him out of the tournament and as he was walking away talked smack at him. And that is how my friend was almost murdered by Jose Canseco. Luckily security was nearby but he didn’t go without a fight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

So, after 4 years of "Get Trump", looting business, burning neighborhoods, sjw purity tests, allegations-as-absolute-fact (sjw stuff again) you've come to the conclusion that it's Trump and his supporters that have normalized bad behavior?  Really?  Nobody else involved?  

Plenty of bad behavior to be disappointed in all around. The difference being the behavior on the left you mention isn't being perpetrated by our leaders in Washington like the behavior on the right.

Edited by Shatner!
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Trump went down to Georgia
He was lookin' for a vote to steal
He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind
And he was willin' to make a deal
When he came across this young man
Sawin' on a fiddle and playin' it hot
And Trump jumped upon a hickory stump
And said, "Boy, let me tell you what"

"Election in Georgia, vote boys, vote
Trump and the house will overthrow those results. 
Mitch in the Senate won’t send out dough
Will Trump concede? No, child, no.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

And - I think Biden's primary focus for the first 2 years will be Covid, vaccination distribution, economic stimulus, and then some low hanging infrastructure wins.  There is no time for the Dem to take up sweeping contentious issues in the near term

This is what they should do 100%.

All of these things should be clear victories (at least as much as there is right now) and popular.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biff84 said:

Ran into him maybe 10 years ago in Vegas and my friend played in a poker tournament with him. He still looks jacked up on steroids and was acting and playing like an idiot. My friend knocked him out of the tournament and as he was walking away talked smack at him. And that is how my friend was almost murdered by Jose Canseco. Luckily security was nearby but he didn’t go without a fight.

😄 I've stood next to him, he's a big dude.  I'd want no part of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Meh - I don't think the outcome tonight - no matter how it ends, really changes the trajectory for the next two years.

About the only tangible thing to come from this will be new stimulus checks.

 

Otherwise - Dems won't repeal the filibuster rules (they won't have the votes) - and most legislation will still require 60 votes in the Senate - which ensures incremental moves, not monumental shifts.  McConnell won't be able to stonewall and Shumer can bring things up for votes if the Dems win tonight - but otherwise, it will take compromise to get things done - and I think we all win when we get things done in that manner.

Anything that removes Mcconnell from shutting everything down is good IMO.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shatner! said:

Plenty not bad behavior to be disappointed in all around. The difference being the behavior on the left you mention isn't being perpetrated by our leaders in Washington like the behavior non the right.

Well, we disagree (Maxine Waters anyone?  "The Squad" anyone?, etc...) on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Biden should release his own book: The Art of the Steal

 

Let’s not get carried away, he struggles to complete sentences quite frequently. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NutterButter said:

Are there expected to be winners announced tonight or is this going to be another multiple day count?

Depends on who wins apparently 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

Let’s not get carried away, he struggles to complete sentences quite frequently. 

He could use a ghost writer like trump did fir all his books?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zoonation said:

Looks like GOP going to win both seats.  Nothing getting done the next four years.  

Look at Dekalb and Gwinnett and you'll change your mind.  It's not over, but if those percentages are right, it's not good for the R's.  Of course who knows what the true percentages are.  27% reported is rarely 27% of the raw vote.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BladeRunner said:

The issue is the counties in Atlanta still have lots left.  That vote dump came from North GA.  It actually shifted the odds even more to the D's because the raw margin wasn't as high as the targets.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

And - I think Biden's primary focus for the first 2 years will be Covid, vaccination distribution, economic stimulus, and then some low hanging infrastructure wins.  There is no time for the Dem to take up sweeping contentious issues in the near term

I think there's zero chance that's all they'll do.  They might only have 2 years to accomplish something even if its just raising taxes a bit on the upper bracket and corporations or something climate related.   They might be able to hold the senate in 2022 b/c the map looks good, but the house is always a toss up.   If the economy takes a dip which is always possible, the dems will take the blame and their window will be shut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

And - I think Biden's primary focus for the first 2 years will be Covid, vaccination distribution, economic stimulus, and then some low hanging infrastructure wins.  There is no time for the Dem to take up sweeping contentious issues in the near term

And then if he has time 100% eviction of all Americans and confiscation of assets and institution of socialism. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

Looks like the gap has closed quite a bit:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/live-updates-georgia-runoffs-1-5-2021

Now, I'm not predicting anything but the earlier crowing in this thread may come back to haunt those doing it.

Highly republican county reported the bulk of their votes. You really need to drill down to get a clear view of what's reported and what's left. It's not linear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...