What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Healing And Moving Forward - Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

I have a nephew who's a freshman in college, political aspirations

I told him be the bridge - there are so many people who are not far left or far right - and there isn't a place for us. I am environmentally sensitive for a conservative and I get grilled on my conservative board for it - called a troll, called a snowflake, you name it. I get the same thing on liberal forums. I don't think I'm alone in being somewhere in the middle

Will it happen ?  I didn't think it would with Trump and I don't think it will with Biden.

2024 I hope for hope is all

well lets see ....  on a personal level my world was crushed by a divorce, my son left for military, I had to get my daughter from jail two days before Christmas, I'm immune to covid so far and I have a job so that good. Politically I'm very worried with Biden and Democrats in control. This weekend there is supposed to be a rally and I'm afraid to go because if I do and my company finds out, I might could be fired and I can't lose my job so I'm not going

if your'e asking if I feel like we're going to heal as a nation no - I do not see that happening, no more so than 4 years ago if the left had been asked that 
Sorry for your personal turmoil, but let’s hope 2021 is a better year for everyone. That includes right, left and center.

well lets see ....  on a personal level my world was crushed by a divorce, my son left for military, I had to get my daughter from jail two days before Christmas, I'm immune to covid so far and I have a job so that good. Politically I'm very worried with Biden and Democrats in control. This weekend there is supposed to be a rally and I'm afraid to go because if I do and my company finds out, I might could be fired and I can't lose my job so I'm not going

if your'e asking if I feel like we're going to heal as a nation no - I do not see that happening, no more so than 4 years ago if the left had been asked that 
Hang in there @Stealthycat  Stay engaged here and do your best to stay calm. Praying for you.

I know this is a popular take but I don't agree at all. I truly hope people don't look at Republicans today not voting to impeach the president as a sign there can't be healing. No time or desire to debate it other than I hope people don't try to equate the two.
I doubt it’s a popular take but it’s my take. I also never wrote we wouldn’t have healing either way. We will, it may take a little longer. 

I have a nephew who's a freshman in college, political aspirations

I told him be the bridge - there are so many people who are not far left or far right - and there isn't a place for us. I am environmentally sensitive for a conservative and I get grilled on my conservative board for it - called a troll, called a snowflake, you name it. I get the same thing on liberal forums. I don't think I'm alone in being somewhere in the middle

Will it happen ?  I didn't think it would with Trump and I don't think it will with Biden.

2024 I hope for hope is all
Yup. It's easy and lazy to put people in a neat box. Often so they can make snarky generalizations. I can be guitly too. We all can be better and more cool. 

did we see that in 2016? 

I guess that's what I'm trying to convey here - not many conservatives come to this board and I go to both liberal and conservative boards and what I'm saying is that the right see's 4 years of daily hate towards them from the left

and they're not going to forget it - they see the 2020 election as a joke, they're upset because of how they've been treated and are currently treated

that's how they FEEL
I have read your last few posts and the thing I would ask is that you accept that Trump, many Republicans, conservatives / MAGA folks are guilty of stoking this thing up as well.

Trump in particular as the prez has the greatest responsibility here and he was the worst offender - frankly it was his main tool in his bag.

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. Things will turn better.

Hang in there @Stealthycat  Stay engaged here and do your best to stay calm. Praying for you.
Thanks Joe - until your life and reality has been shattered into a billion pieces and you've left in your mind with rebuilding it with no help ..... its a place nobody should have to be and yet, so many people have had to do it.

I found a message board with hundreds of people who lived similar and that helped. 

Message boards, forums - they DO matter, they can help if two things happen. #1 a person wants to understand the other side and #2 a person is willing to change

I doubt it’s a popular take but it’s my take. I also never wrote we wouldn’t have healing either way. We will, it may take a little longer. 
from a Republican voter I actually hope there is a split because it will further destroy this party and from the ashes maybe a new better party will rise

I'd just like to add that Dolly Parton is considered royalty in the state of Tennessee. And that transcends whatever your political belief system may be.

Example: She sends one hardback children's book per month to every child in the state from birth until kindergarten... for free. Just gets there every month and helps them learn to read.

I'd say she could win the governor's seat in our state as an independent in a landslide victory, but everyone knows Dolly is way too smart to get involved with that. She's ACTUALLY impacts lives daily. Bless her.
She has had quite the run. Every time her name pops up in a story it's about another good thing she has done.

did we see that in 2016? 

I guess that's what I'm trying to convey here - not many conservatives come to this board and I go to both liberal and conservative boards and what I'm saying is that the right see's 4 years of daily hate towards them from the left

and they're not going to forget it - they see the 2020 election as a joke, they're upset because of how they've been treated and are currently treated

that's how they FEEL
While you can’t deny someone’s feelings, you can try to empathize and convey the truth. One fundamental problem is, the two “sides” can’t agree on fact vs. fiction anymore. While it’s fine to have different perspectives, we’ve diverged so much our objective realities don’t even align.

While you can’t deny someone’s feelings, you can try to empathize and convey the truth. One fundamental problem is, the two “sides” can’t agree on fact vs. fiction anymore. While it’s fine to have different perspectives, we’ve diverged so much our objective realities don’t even align.
this is all true

I try to back my ideas/views with links/facts on why

did we see that in 2016? 

that's how they FEEL
I don't think we as a nation realized how deep the wounds were in 2016.  We weren't yet feeling the pain in enough places to be thinking about healing.   This sentiment probably should have been present back then and if it was we'd be a lot better off.  I'm not sure if there was such a thread, but I assume there was a "come together behind the new president" sentiment being posted.

@Stealthycat

1. On a personal note, I hope that things get better for you. Also please thank your son for his service to all of us. 
2. Based on your posts in this forum, including today, I regard you as an extremist on the right, filled with misinformation from disreputable sources. Therefore my message to you is the same as it is to extremists on the left: in order for the nation to heal, you have to be defeated. Your political goals and desires have to be defeated, and the far left’s goals and desires have to be defeated. We need to move back to a center right vs center left nation. 
3. That doesn’t mean that you can’t be part of the healing. But if you’re going to regard yourself and President Trump as unfairly treated victims, that’s never going to happen. President Trump has been richly deserving of almost all of the criticism he has received and is currently receiving. His most stalwart supporters who continue to support him after last week’s events especially are richly deserving of most of the criticism they are currently receiving. You don’t have to agree with this opinion but you do need to accept it as prevalent and very real and not partisan. If you don’t, then unfortunately, at least in terms of politics, we will move forward without you. Which will be regrettable, since this nation will always need diverse and dissenting voices so long as they fall within the spectrum of rational thought and civilized behavior. 

For me it really does keep circling around to this.  I am all for different perspectives and opposing ways to tackle problems.   What I have lost patience for is that so many people can't even agree on facts and truths anymore that you can't even get started on a rational discussion.  Until we can start to do that, I fear as a country we will just continue to yell at each other from different sides of the spectrum.  

I think both sides have lost the ability to speak moderately and in ways that are meant to bridge gaps. Communicating clearly in a manner that is genuinely intended to inform and to persuade is virtually a lost art.

That goes for both sides. Rush, Hannity, etc in talk radio have had a large influence on a lot of people for decades on how conservatives view and treat liberals. Everyone is lumped into a group and demonized with name calling and generalizations. This happens on the left too. Let’s be honest, for many on the left, if someone says that they are a Republican or a conservative, there is an automatic assumption that they are probably at least a little racist, don’t care about the poor, and probably have a poor view of women.

Unfortunately with a 2 party system and increased polarization, there is every selfish incentive in the world for politicians to speak and communicate in demonizing and polarizing manners. 

I absolutely this "we will never forget" stuff being spout about as if it's new with Trump.  The "sides" have some of you absolutely snowed.  There's as much hate/vitriol today as there was during the GWB years.  One of my moments of Zen in this whole thing was a post from someone I know who was absolutely disgusted by the shouts to string up Pence.  ALL I could think was "better late than never...at least Obama and Pence have something they can compare notes against".  Can we please stop pretending this kind of stuff from the "sides" is new?  It's a feature, not a bug.

To be fair, there are a bunch of virtue signalers out there. Haven't heard a peep about racial injustice from 95% of the internet since the blacked out profile pictures that one day last summer.
There’s been some other stuff going on that may have distracted people.  I don’t think it’s a signal that they were insincere when they promoted racial justice six months ago.

there are so many people who are not far left or far right - and there isn't a place for us. I am environmentally sensitive for a conservative and I get grilled on my conservative board for it - called a troll, called a snowflake, you name it. I get the same thing on liberal forums. I don't think I'm alone in being somewhere in the middle
Dude just because you don’t want humans to destroy the planet that does not make you a moderate.

There’s been some other stuff going on that may have distracted people.  I don’t think it’s a signal that they were insincere when they promoted racial justice six months ago.
I guess? I think for some people it's pretty easy to move with the trend on social media these days in an effort to look good. The same way we'd wear ridiculous clothing trends in high school, except this is for real, meaningful, important things.

If they were sincere, I'd figure I'd see a couple of follow ups on their actionable steps. After all, most of those profile pictures came with chastising messages and vows for change. Anything short of action after the words I saw would be, well, an empty virtue signal.

Not to mention there was a level of peer pressure involved with that particular event. You either blacked out or you were against it!

@Stealthycat

1. On a personal note, I hope that things get better for you. Also please thank your son for his service to all of us. 
2. Based on your posts in this forum, including today, I regard you as an extremist on the right, filled with misinformation from disreputable sources. Therefore my message to you is the same as it is to extremists on the left: in order for the nation to heal, you have to be defeated. Your political goals and desires have to be defeated, and the far left’s goals and desires have to be defeated. We need to move back to a center right vs center left nation. 
3. That doesn’t mean that you can’t be part of the healing. But if you’re going to regard yourself and President Trump as unfairly treated victims, that’s never going to happen. President Trump has been richly deserving of almost all of the criticism he has received and is currently receiving. His most stalwart supporters who continue to support him after last week’s events especially are richly deserving of most of the criticism they are currently receiving. You don’t have to agree with this opinion but you do need to accept it as prevalent and very real and not partisan. If you don’t, then unfortunately, at least in terms of politics, we will move forward without you. Which will be regrettable, since this nation will always need diverse and dissenting voices so long as they fall within the spectrum of rational thought and civilized behavior. 
Dismissing concerns and angers wholesale is exactly what has created this mess. These reactions are exactly what has brought us to where we are. When we dismiss concerns outright without seeking common ground or dialogue, it just pushes people to be more extreme as we excluded them.

Frankly, I think that the vast majority of complaints around the treatment of Trump are unfounded. But I do think that there WERE some valid points that everyone just washes over, excuses, or pretends didn’t happen. The Steele dossier was a bunch of garbage, almost certainly funded and backed by Hillary’s folks and the DNC, and was known to be all of that early on. That’s a legitimate complaint that Trump supporters have and when it was ignored and downplayed, it just reinforced the belief that Trump was never going to get a fair shake.

Likewise, the legitimate fears of a large amount of people concerning immigration were completely ignored or called out as bigoted. For many blue collar workers, fears of losing their jobs in a modernizing world were already a reality along with questions of how they would compete in a global economy where kids making a penny a day for 18 hours of work in a sweatshop in Asia. Add in the prospect of potentially a large influx of more workers to compete in those labor markets and I think the fear of many people should have been understandable. But contingent was largely ignored and their concerns left unaddressed by both parties until a more extreme voice entered the picture and became their voice. He gave voice to all of the worst parts of their concerns, but he was the only voice and so they backed him. 

When we’re unwilling to look past the surface to figure out what the true heart and the true concerns are behind stances/issues/etc, we’ve already lost the battle and are just contributing to the polarization.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Dismissing concerns and angers wholesale is exactly what has created this mess. These reactions are exactly what has brought us to where we are. When we dismiss concerns outright without seeking common ground or dialogue, it just pushes people to be more extreme as we excluded them.

Frankly, I think that the vast majority of complaints around the treatment of Trump are unfounded. But I do think that there WERE some valid points that everyone just washes over, excuses, or pretends didn’t happen. The Steele dossier was a bunch of garbage, almost certainly funded and backed by Hillary’s folks and the DNC, and was known to be all of that early on. That’s a legitimate complaint that Trump supporters have and when it was ignored and downplayed, it just reinforced the belief that Trump was never going to get a fair shake.

Likewise, the legitimate fears of a large amount of people concerning immigration were completely ignored or called out as bigoted. For many blue collar workers, fears of losing their jobs in a modernizing world were already a reality along with questions of how they would compete in a global economy where kids making a penny a day for 18 hours of work in a sweatshop in Asia. Add in the prospect of potentially a large influx of more workers to compete in those labor markets and I think the fear of many people should have been understandable. But contingent was largely ignored and their concerns left unaddressed by both parties until a more extreme voice entered the picture and became their voice. He gave voice to all of the worst parts of their concerns, but he was the only voice and so they backed him. 

When we’re unwilling to look past the surface to figure out what the true heart and the true concerns are behind stances/issues/etc, we’ve already lost the battle and are just contributing to the polarization.
I am not dismissing his concerns or anyone else’s. I have, I think, considered them carefully. My conclusion is that they can’t be worked with, there is no halfway or room for compromise. They have to be defeated. 

I guess? I think for some people it's pretty easy to move with the trend on social media these days in an effort to look good. The same way we'd wear ridiculous clothing trends in high school, except this is for real, meaningful, important things.

If they were sincere, I'd figure I'd see a couple of follow ups on their actionable steps. After all, most of those profile pictures came with chastising messages and vows for change. Anything short of action after the words I saw would be, well, an empty virtue signal.

Not to mention there was a level of peer pressure involved with that particular event. You either blacked out or you were against it!
People are lazy, that doesn’t make them phonies.  

• Love
People are lazy, that doesn’t make them phonies.  
I think we have to agree to disagree on that one. The inaction pretty much makes the act in question the definition of virtue signaling.

"the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one’s righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not"

I thought of you while reading this just moments ago

https://www.foxnews.com/media/aoc-media-literacy-truth-commission-capitol-riot

"It’s one thing to have differentiating opinions but it’s another thing entirely to just say things that are false," she continued. "So that’s something that we’re looking into."

It wasn’t an exaggeration to say that "many, many members of the House were nearly assassinated," she told her followers.

really? AOC talking about a truth commission after saying that?  

I think we have to agree to disagree on that one. The inaction pretty much makes the act in question the definition of virtue signaling.

"the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one’s righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not"
The bolded part is where I think you're being unfair.  I believe it's common for people to engage in the exact behavior you describe without being motivated by a desire for praise or acknowledgment.      

Based on your posts in this forum, including today, I regard you as an extremist on the right, filled with misinformation from disreputable sources. Therefore my message to you is the same as it is to extremists on the left: in order for the nation to heal, you have to be defeated. Your political goals and desires have to be defeated, and the far left’s goals and desires have to be defeated. We need to move back to a center right vs center left nation. 
I'd love to hear in depth and detail why I'm an extremist - that would be loads of fun, it truly would

That doesn’t mean that you can’t be part of the healing. But if you’re going to regard yourself and President Trump as unfairly treated victims, that’s never going to happen. President Trump has been richly deserving of almost all of the criticism he has received and is currently receiving. His most stalwart supporters who continue to support him after last week’s events especially are richly deserving of most of the criticism they are currently receiving. You don’t have to agree with this opinion but you do need to accept it as prevalent and very real and not partisan. If you don’t, then unfortunately, at least in terms of politics, we will move forward without you. Which will be regrettable, since this nation will always need diverse and dissenting voices so long as they fall within the spectrum of rational thought and civilized behavior.
so I can be part of the healing but only if I bow to what you tell me to think and do ?  gotcha

I thought of you while reading this just moments ago

https://www.foxnews.com/media/aoc-media-literacy-truth-commission-capitol-riot

"It’s one thing to have differentiating opinions but it’s another thing entirely to just say things that are false," she continued. "So that’s something that we’re looking into."

It wasn’t an exaggeration to say that "many, many members of the House were nearly assassinated," she told her followers.

really? AOC talking about a truth commission after saying that?  
If a rioting crowd came to my office, a security guard was pulled out the door and beaten then died, I would be concerned.

• Smile
I am not dismissing his concerns or anyone else’s. I have, I think, considered them carefully. My conclusion is that they can’t be worked with, there is no halfway or room for compromise. They have to be defeated. 
at least you're honest

now, if the right/conservatives/GOP views you and yours the same way - how do you expect any compromise or "healing" ?

honest answer please - because first thing you did when you responded to me was name call - if I did that I'd be banned again wouldn't I ? 

I'd love to hear in depth and detail why I'm an extremist - that would be loads of fun, it truly would
In my view you are an extremist because you believe that these things were unjustified:

but for weeks on facebook the people who were so vile and hateful towards Trump and conservatives over the last 4 years, the people every day calling for impeachment, repeating the Russia claims, or Stormy, or Ukraine and talking about taking back the country in 2020 and all the hateful mean things
I know that to you, those things seem like common sense and are shared by many in your social circle, so they can't possibly be extreme.  But you should know that to a significant number of people, you are living in an extremist delusional fantasy.  If you're saying things like the Russia investigation or impeachment are hoaxes that's sufficient evidence to me that you're an extremist.

at least you're honest

now, if the right/conservatives/GOP views you and yours the same way - how do you expect any compromise or "healing" ?

honest answer please - because first thing you did when you responded to me was name call - if I did that I'd be banned again wouldn't I ? 
I don’t think I named called you at all. I wrote that I regard your views as extreme. I’m not going to bother to justify that; anyone who reads your posts can reach their own conclusion. I will add that anyone who regards President Trump as a victim after the events of last week most likely has been misinformed, holds extremists views, or both, IMO. 

To answer your question: I don’t believe most right wingers would find my views to be extreme. I am a centrist who voted for Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden, I support capitalism and moderate government solutions to most issues, I am pro-business. I have a few extreme views about a couple of issues (immigration and abortion) but neither is decisive for me as a political issue. 

many many were almost assassinated - you believe that's fact ? 

honest question
I don't know. What would you think if thousands of people came to your work and started dragging people out windows and doors and beating them. The crowd yelling hang the your boss, weapons drawn in the building, dudes in there with zip-tie handcuffs, etc.

Have you read what the FBI has been releasing about that day?

I don’t think I named called you at all.
amazing

simply amazing to tell someone they're extremist and that not be considered name calling

I wrote that I regard your views as extreme. I’m not going to bother to justify that; anyone who reads your posts can reach their own conclusion.
so essentially, a held belief that you don't want to discuss with facts - you simply wave a hand and say nope, not going to justify

see a problem there? maybe its just me

I don't know. What would you think if thousands of people came to your work and started dragging people out windows and doors and beating them. The crowd yelling hang the your boss, weapons drawn in the building, dudes in there with zip-tie handcuffs, etc.

Have you read what the FBI has been releasing about that day?
I'd say that's about what like happened in many cities/neighborhoods naion wide over the last 4 years 

"many, many members of the House were nearly assassinated,"

many,many would mean almost all of the House - and not a single House member was touched

nearly would mean almost - and none were almost done anything to

assassinated? like killed on the spot? that didn't happen either except for the officer shooting the unarmed woman

again i ask you really, REALLY believe ""many, many members of the House were nearly assassinated,"" ??

I'd say that's about what like happened in many cities/neighborhoods naion wide over the last 4 years 

many,many would mean almost all of the House - and not a single House member was touched

assassinated? like killed on the spot? that didn't happen either except for the officer shooting the unarmed woman

again i ask you really, REALLY believe ""many, many members of the House were nearly assassinated,"" ??
You seem to be stuck on this point like victory for the argument depends on it.  No one really cares about this.  Could the line have been said better?  Sure.  Should have said "many, many members of the House were put in extreme danger".  Would you be better with this?

@Stealthycat

Your insistence on telling people how they must heal and what the terms of healing is quite fascinating.  I'll just leave it at that.

Speaking directly to the Trump supporters in the thread..... What do Democrats need to do (for you) to help start your healing process?  

• Love
You seem to be stuck on this point like victory for the argument depends on it.  No one really cares about this.  Could the line have been said better?  Sure.  Should have said "many, many members of the House were put in extreme danger".  Would you be better with this?
hmmmm

June 1 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkew_ngvps0

could we use the same words AOC used then to describe the above? if so ... why didn't anyone ?

This is getting into a some odd tangents but yes I do think many people felt unsafe and their lives were in danger at points this summer during riots. Not sure what your point with this is.

I believe where AOC is coming from is that Congress is just getting their reports from the FBI as more is known and it is really scary stuff. Please google FBI reports on this and give them a read.

Speaking directly to the Trump supporters in the thread..... What do Democrats need to do (for you) to help start your healing process?  
I'd like to see what I expect from any administration

strong American economy, border control, do more to stop abortion, stop expanding Fed Govt intrusion into our lives, environmentally sound initiatives .... on a more personal level, I'm pro-2nd Amendment and I'm afraid Biden and company is going to attack that. 

I know Biden will act more presidential when on camera and he won't instigate the press, I'll be glad to see that. But will Biden try and be "my" President?   no, I don't think he'll represent much of what i believe, just as Trump didn't represent much of what the left believe. Democrats have control - they're going to hammer through policies with their agenda - what was said in a previous comment about having to defeat people who don't believe like you do ?

that's how I feel - and that's not going away anytime soon - it'll take years of actions to make me believe Democrats want to work with Republicans to find a middle ground for Americans. I simply don't see it - i've been told more than once if I disagree with the liberal agenda, i'm simply wrong and have to be "defeated"

The bolded part is where I think you're being unfair.  I believe it's common for people to engage in the exact behavior you describe without being motivated by a desire for praise or acknowledgment.      
When people post a black square on Facebook, I think their conscious reason is to sincerely show support for oppressed or grieving or discontented people and to stand up for what's right and just.

I also think people are generally bad at consciously understanding their own motivations, and that the reasoning that bubbles up into our consciousness is often something more like a just-so rationalization (subconsciously calculated to improve our own self-image) than a true motivating cause.

A lot of behavior involves signaling that we are not consciously aware of as we do it. I suspect that's especially true on social media, which is more about advertising than real action.

All that said, I thing virtue-signaling is generally a good thing, not to be looked down upon. It is much better than vice-signaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: RnR

Users who are viewing this thread