Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Race for the 2020 MVP award


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Never disagreed with that.... my counterpoint to Starks was purely stat based.  If I had to vote an MVP between Henry and Cook I give it to Henry for sure. 

His stats are just not dominant over other RB's this year.... which imo would be a prerequisite for the extremely rare case of an RB deserving the MVP.

I get your point, but I think you can make a case for Henry based on 250 and 2 today, in a game to clinch the division, and give him 2000 yards for the season.....only the 8th time in history

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It takes an absolutely ridiculous statistical season for a RB to win it over a QB. Also if you're going to give it to an RB...  Cook: 1031 Yards, 13 TD's (in 7 games) Kamara: 1036 Yards, 8 TD's (

Patrick Mahomes

Gap widens as yet another top team goes down. Puts up 32 against an elite D who made him earn every yard. Saint's D was ferocious today, and put some serious hits on Mahomes, who was scrambling around

Just now, Manster said:

I get your point, but I think you can make a case for Henry based on 250 and 2 today, in a game to clinch the division, and give him 2000 yards for the season.....only the 8th time in history

He had an amazing season.  Heck, I own Henry and don't own any of Cook, I just find it amazing how people kept writing off Cook's stats this year vs Kamara and Herny.  Reveiving yards matter.... so while the 2000 for Henry is amazing, it has become a passing league and more of an All-Purpose league.  If Cook plays those 2 games he missed, he out gains Henry in Yardage this year, and Touchdowns. 

I'm not saying whether I agree with it or not, but the MVP votes are based on stats and not on 'how important you are to your team", or "strength of opponents".  With Cook and Henry having almost identical statistical seasons, I can't justify worshiping his numbers enough to give him MVP consideration.  RB of the year?  Absolutely it's Henry without a doubt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I couldn't find a Defensive player of the year page so just will put all my guesses hear for the main rewards.

I think Alex Smith is basically guaranteed CPOY after everything he has been through and helped his team get to the playoffs.

I believe Justin Jefferson should win Offense Rookie of the Year even though I see Herberts' name often. Herbert is a rather average qb with great promise while Jefferson is in a conversation of his own.

I believe Aaron Donald DESERVES DPOY but my gut says he will get voter fatigue and it will go to TJ Watt.

MVP is a hard one as both Mahomes and Rodgers killed it this year but I believe Rodgers gets it.

 

Just wanted to post these as well:

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1340859354480861184

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1332509974132629505

Edited by RealReactions
Link to post
Share on other sites

This will probably sound like a hot take, but I'm not the type to just say things for reactions. That said, Derrick Henry would be my 3rd choice...on the Titans.

ETA: I'd still call Henry the best RB this year, but he'd be around 10th or so for MVP in my eyes. Too many as good or better guys, at more important positions.

Edited by travdogg
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, travdogg said:

This will probably sound like a hot take, but I'm not the type to just say things for reactions. That said, Derrick Henry would be my 3rd choice...on the Titans.

ETA: I'd still call Henry the best RB this year, but he'd be around 10th or so for MVP in my eyes. Too many as good or better guys, at more important positions.

I could not disagree more with that about "on the Titans".  Without Henry/thread of Henry...Tannehill is not nearly as good as he is.  And are you arguing Brown is ahead of Henry as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

I could not disagree more with that about "on the Titans".  Without Henry/thread of Henry...Tannehill is not nearly as good as he is.  And are you arguing Brown is ahead of Henry as well?

Yes, Brown was the other guy. 

I agree Tannehill is not as good without Henry, I'd also argue Henry is nowhere near as good without Tannehill and Brown. Plus, we actually have evidence of that, as Henry was having a middling year in 2019 until Mariota was benched for Tannehill and Brown was promoted to a starter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Final picks for me:

MVP-Aaron Rodgers

OPOY-Travis Kelce

DPOY-Aaron Donald

OROY-Justin Jefferson

DROY-Chase Young

HCOY-Ron Rivera

CPOY-Alex Smith

I have my doubts that Kelce will win, as for some reason TEs are always undervalued. Likewise with Jefferson, as anytime a QB plays well they seem to get it. So it'll likely be Herbert and Henry, I just think they are less deserving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Final picks for me:

MVP-Aaron Rodgers

OPOY-Travis Kelce

DPOY-Aaron Donald

OROY-Justin Jefferson

DROY-Chase Young

HCOY-Ron Rivera

CPOY-Alex Smith

I have my doubts that Kelce will win, as for some reason TEs are always undervalued. Likewise with Jefferson, as anytime a QB plays well they seem to get it. So it'll likely be Herbert and Henry, I just think they are less deserving. 

I like these picks a lot.  Would only change 2. 

OPOY- Henry

HCOY- I honestly think it's going to be McDermott.  I'd say Stefanski, Lafleur, and Rivera both all shots, but remember you can pretty much take the original O/U wins for the season and subtract it from total wins and COY has a great shot at that.  Flores and Reid are the other 2 with the highest vegas odds to win it, with a big drop off to Tomlin in 7th place.  This is how well each team outperformed their expected win total.  I think McDermott takes this.

Bills +4
Browns +2.5
WFT + 2
Miami +4
GB +4.5
KC +2.5
Pitt +2.5

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, crushedspirit said:

Not including this week,

Rodgers, 11 interceptable passes

Mahomes, 15 interceptable passes

Allen, 23 interceptable passes

Allen has had a great season, and the future looks good for him.

 

This stat seems situational, and possibly  misleading.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 10:57 PM, Deamon said:

He had an amazing season.  Heck, I own Henry and don't own any of Cook, I just find it amazing how people kept writing off Cook's stats this year vs Kamara and Herny.  Reveiving yards matter.... so while the 2000 for Henry is amazing, it has become a passing league and more of an All-Purpose league.  If Cook plays those 2 games he missed, he out gains Henry in Yardage this year, and Touchdowns. 

I'm not saying whether I agree with it or not, but the MVP votes are based on stats and not on 'how important you are to your team", or "strength of opponents".  With Cook and Henry having almost identical statistical seasons, I can't justify worshiping his numbers enough to give him MVP consideration.  RB of the year?  Absolutely it's Henry without a doubt.

Season on the line In a late season game, I would rather roster Henry than Cook.  Henry is a cheat code who can handle a very heavy work load.  Cook wears down at the end of seasons and wasn’t quite the same back after his 30 carry game v the Bears.   
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

This stat seems situational, and possibly  misleading.  

How do you even determine if a pass is deemed “interceptable” or not? Quarterbacks have to throw into tight windows every single game. Is this passes that defenders just dropped? Sounds like a super subjective stat to me. I don’t really have a dog in this fight, I’m just genuinely curious as I’ve never heard that before. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I like these picks a lot.  Would only change 2. 

OPOY- Henry

HCOY- I honestly think it's going to be McDermott.  I'd say Stefanski, Lafleur, and Rivera both all shots, but remember you can pretty much take the original O/U wins for the season and subtract it from total wins and COY has a great shot at that.  Flores and Reid are the other 2 with the highest vegas odds to win it, with a big drop off to Tomlin in 7th place.  This is how well each team outperformed their expected win total.  I think McDermott takes this.

Bills +4
Browns +2.5
WFT + 2
Miami +4
GB +4.5
KC +2.5
Pitt +2.5

I think the case for Rivera, is he took over a team with the #2 pick the year before, and won he division. He did that while battling Cancer, and using 4 QBs, including 1 who was so bad they cut him. On top of all that, is a FO being sued, the owner making an ### of himself, and the team's name being changed.

True, the record isn't the best, but I think some other factors, including off field stuff could, and should, come into play here.

My case against Henry is just I don't think his season was as impressive as kelce's was. Maybe if Henry ran for 2,200 yards in 15 games it would be closer, but kelce broke the single season record without even playing week 17. He may have lead the NFL in receiving if he hadn't, which is unheard of for a TE.

Kelce was unanimously the best player at his position, other than maybe Aaron Donald, I don't think that consensus exists anywhere else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

Season on the line In a late season game, I would rather roster Henry than Cook.  Henry is a cheat code who can handle a very heavy work load.  Cook wears down at the end of seasons and wasn’t quite the same back after his 30 carry game v the Bears.   
 

100% agree with you.

We are ONLY talking about stats though... which has been mentioned many times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I think the case for Rivera, is he took over a team with the #2 pick the year before, and won he division. He did that while battling Cancer, and using 4 QBs, including 1 who was so bad they cut him. On top of all that, is a FO being sued, the owner making an ### of himself, and the team's name being changed.

True, the record isn't the best, but I think some other factors, including off field stuff could, and should, come into play here.

My case against Henry is just I don't think his season was as impressive as kelce's was. Maybe if Henry ran for 2,200 yards in 15 games it would be closer, but kelce broke the single season record without even playing week 17. He may have lead the NFL in receiving if he hadn't, which is unheard of for a TE.

Kelce was unanimously the best player at his position, other than maybe Aaron Donald, I don't think that consensus exists anywhere else.

Ya it's close betewen Kelce and Henry.

Back to COY, I don't think a COY has ever had a losing record, and I don't think they EVER will.  It's again (which we've discussed many times), not about all these other factors you mention, it's about stats.  Buffalo and GB were just both so much better than expected.  Vegas agrees, Rivera currently has the 4th best odds to win it.  Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I'd be shocked if he won.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

How do you even determine if a pass is deemed “interceptable” or not? Quarterbacks have to throw into tight windows every single game. Is this passes that defenders just dropped? Sounds like a super subjective stat to me. I don’t really have a dog in this fight, I’m just genuinely curious as I’ve never heard that before. 

There's a twitter video showing the 15 from Mahomes. Title says 16, but they counted one even though there was no play due to a late hit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers was voted first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press.

This is the third All-Pro selection for Rodgers, who beat out Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. It's also a strong sign Rodgers will be voted MVP later this month. Rams DT Aaron Donald and Chiefs TE Travis Kelce were the only unanimous picks. Titans RB Derrick Henry, Packers WR Davante Adams, and Bills WR Stefon Diggs all made the team as first-time selections.

SOURCE: AP News

Jan 8, 2021, 12:40 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For all of the chatter about how Cook was supposedly as good as Henry this year, Henry ended up as the 1st team All-Pro RB while Cook wasn't even 2nd Team (Kamara was).  Not playing for a playoff team certainly hurt Cook, and Kamara's 6-TD game in week 16 being so fresh in the minds of voters was likely a factor, but it's interesting to note, nonetheless. 

Rodgers winning the MVP award seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 10:27 AM, Ghost Rider said:

For all of the chatter about how Cook was supposedly as good as Henry this year, Henry ended up as the 1st team All-Pro RB while Cook wasn't even 2nd Team (Kamara was).  Not playing for a playoff team certainly hurt Cook, and Kamara's 6-TD game in week 16 being so fresh in the minds of voters was likely a factor, but it's interesting to note, nonetheless. 

Rodgers winning the MVP award seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. 

Cook deserved that spot over Kamara

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, Deamon said:

That puts the nail in the coffin.  Mahomes out today and Rodgers has 3tds already.  Rodgers wins and probably by quite a bit. 


My Prediction for Votes:
Rodgers 43
Mahomes 4
Allen 2
Henry 1

Damn I was damn close.  Those who thought Henry had a good shot at this or should have won it, he didn't even get a single vote.  I pretty much just mixed Mahomes and Allen's numbers up.

FINAL VOTES:
Rodgers 44
Allen 4
Mahomes 2

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 2:47 PM, travdogg said:

Final picks for me:

MVP-Aaron Rodgers- CORRECT- (44/50 votes)

OPOY-Travis Kelce- HENRY (Kelce got 3/50 votes)

DPOY-Aaron Donald- CORRECT (27/50 votes)

OROY-Justin Jefferson- HERBERT (Jefferson got 9/50 votes)

DROY-Chase Young- CORRECT (42.5/50 votes)

HCOY-Ron Rivera- STEFANSKI (Rivera 4/50 votes)

CPOY-Alex Smith- CORRECT (49/50 votes)

I have my doubts that Kelce will win, as for some reason TEs are always undervalued. Likewise with Jefferson, as anytime a QB plays well they seem to get it. So it'll likely be Herbert and Henry, I just think they are less deserving.


https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1358260988760440832/photo/1 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...