What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I'll review the data from the trial.  If Door A is risk of getting Covid and knowing what happens there and Door B is the risk of unknown side effects that weren't observed in a 40K trial, but probably going back to normal life, I'm going with Door B as soon as available (assuming that the safety and efficacy are there as reported to date). 

Yes, once I am reasonably convinced it has been thoroughly tested and is acceptably safe.  It has nothing to do with how much time has passed, so I chose unsure but leaning yes.

Very unsure, so voted "unsure / no".  My stance will likely change a bit after reading more and seeing positive results.

Depends on the vaccine.

mRNA/DNA-based, sure, I'd get it as soon as the FDA clears it. It's not the virus, it's just a sample of its genetic fingerprint being given to my immune system to fight.

Weakened virus-based? Yeah, I'll wait a bit and see how it goes. I'd want to make sure it was weakened enough and doesn't lead to further spikes.

Assuming I have no concerns with the safety or effectiveness, I would wait a while for the high risk folks to get it first before I do. I’m not really concerned with myself, just don’t want to spread it

Never had a Flu shot, don't plan on getting a covid shot.  If a vaccine is required to go anywhere, I will just stay home.

ETA: Didn't answer the poll because you didn't have a plain no option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not in a high risk group. I figure by the time they’ve vaccinated the essential workers and the high risk people, that will be enough of a test to see if it works. 

I thought I would be cautious, but as we get closer, my desire to go out to restaurants and bars and to Vegas is outweighing my caution.

So I will get it quickly, I think.

Will be somewhat cautious and not in the first wave. Also will continue to be somewhat careful for a while even after being vaccinated until the case counts start going down.

Probably, but like others, I won't run out and get it the instant it is available, unless I get COVID between now and then and it kicks my ### and makes me desperate for it right away.  Otherwise, I will take the wait and see approach at first to see how the early testers react to it. 

You won't be able to get it when it's first available even if you wanted to. First responders and healthcare workers will be the Guinea pigs

For sure, assuming safety is proven. Can’t wait, actually. Wish I could get it tomorrow and get on with it. 

For sure, assuming safety is proven. Can’t wait, actually. Wish I could get it tomorrow and get on with it. 
I don't think is possible with how quickly this vaccine was produced.  We have no way of knowing it's long term effects.  With that being said I'll be in the 2nd wave.  Like many others, have covid fatigue bad and just want to get on with life as normal.  I'll risk it with the vaccine if it means I can get back to parties, ballgames, concerts, etc more quickly. 

Yes, absolutely.  It won't be up to me because I'm not a first responder and I don't have any special risk factors, so I assume I'll be placed near the end of the line, but I would get vaccinated tomorrow if that were an option.

Without a doubt, on my part.  Always get my flu shot as well.

Not just for my benefit, but for the benefit of those around me.  Sometimes you need to do things for the common good and not just make a decision based on your personal circumstance.

Although in this case, both reasons for getting vaccinated are aligned (for me).

I don't think is possible with how quickly this vaccine was produced.  We have no way of knowing it's long term effects.  With that being said I'll be in the 2nd wave.  Like many others, have covid fatigue bad and just want to get on with life as normal.  I'll risk it with the vaccine if it means I can get back to parties, ballgames, concerts, etc more quickly. 
Isn't this a somewhat equivalent risk?  Getting an unproven vaccine that you don't really know the side affects etc or going out without the vaccine and risking catching a virus that may or may not kill you?   Seems like you would just be trading one risk for another.  

Wife will probably be among the first to have to decide (extremely high risk and healthcare worker), but I don’t know yet. Realistically, I will do whatever she wants. 

We are worried about the fast tracking and lack of data, but probably more worried that her body can’t fight off Covid so leaning yes. 

Isn't this a somewhat equivalent risk?  Getting an unproven vaccine that you don't really know the side affects etc or going out without the vaccine and risking catching a virus that may or may not kill you?   Seems like you would just be trading one risk for another.  
Maybe.  I just want to get back to normal or as close to as normal as possible.  I'm just ####### burned out on this and really don't care anymore.  At least if i get vaccinated I'm just potentially harming myself as opposed to not getting the vaccination and taking the chance at becoming a major spreader. 

Probably just time to see about longer term side effects.   So maybe in a year or two if nothing serious comes about, I'd be up for it.   
That's certainly your prerogative, but way beyond scientific standards accepted for vaccines and medications. Are there any side effects in particular which concern you?

That's certainly your prerogative, but way beyond scientific standards accepted for vaccines and medications. Are there any side effects in particular which concern you?
Just whether any form of autoimmune disorders occur.   Considering that a multitude of other people either due to their profession or due to their poor health will qualify for a vaccine prior to me, I'll gladly wait.   They can have it and benefit from the protection it offers that they more urgently need and I can get a little more peace of mind if nothing unanticipated comes about.  

Maybe.  I just want to get back to normal or as close to as normal as possible.  I'm just ####### burned out on this and really don't care anymore.  At least if i get vaccinated I'm just potentially harming myself as opposed to not getting the vaccination and taking the chance at becoming a major spreader. 
Can't you avoid that by taking the necessary precautions (washing hands, wearing mask, staying six feet away, and not going into large gatherings)?   

I am mostly sick of the illogical recommendation and implementation of precautions that seem to be contradictory all over the place.    I think doing the things in my previous sentence seems to make sense and agreed by most everyone.  If everyone did those things I think the spread would be slower and life could get back to some semblance of normal.    

The misinformation campaign that gets spread around Facebook to the easily manipulated about this is going to be insane and sickening. 

I’ll get it day one it’s available. I’m fine being part of the test. 
Same here.  I've been reading a lot on the side effects of what's been reported so far.  Right now completely comfortable with the big ones.

After the shot - no mask, no issues getting on a plane, international travel without issues, etc.

Same here.  I've been reading a lot on the side effects of what's been reported so far.  Right now completely comfortable with the big ones.

After the shot - no mask, no issues getting on a plane, international travel without issues, etc.
What side effects are being reported? I admittedly have not been keeping up on the recent reports. 

What side effects are being reported? I admittedly have not been keeping up on the recent reports. 
So far, not much.  They seem to be in line with a typical flu shot - many folks get chills, maybe low grade fever, etc. 

You'd think from the anti-vax folks these are going to be the next thalidomide.

So far, not much.  They seem to be in line with a typical flu shot - many folks get chills, maybe low grade fever, etc. 

You'd think from the anti-vax folks these are going to be the next thalidomide.
Okay, cool. Thanks for the reply. Those sound like easy side effects with which to deal, all things considered. Let's hope it works and is available sooner rather than later. :hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this the plot for World War Z and I Am Legend?

:unsure:

Just kidding.  I'll get it once it comes out.

One question I have.  How do you test the effectiveness of a vaccine.  Years is what I thought.  

Do you inject people with the vaccine then weeks later with the virus?

How does this work?

Can't you avoid that by taking the necessary precautions (washing hands, wearing mask, staying six feet away, and not going into large gatherings)?   

I am mostly sick of the illogical recommendation and implementation of precautions that seem to be contradictory all over the place.    I think doing the things in my previous sentence seems to make sense and agreed by most everyone.  If everyone did those things I think the spread would be slower and life could get back to some semblance of normal.    
I have been doing all that but many are not and the numbers keep going up. That’s the part I’m getting burned out on.  I want to get back to socializing with different groups of people so hence can’t wait for a vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread