What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Oklahoma starts Friday.  Very much a lack of willing arms here.  Damn it all.  
Georgia didn’t want to be out done and starts with all adults today.  I share the concern of others that we have way too many people who won’t get vaccinated and I completely get the risk to those who can’t get the vaccine - just not sure what the answers are.  At some point we will have to leave those folks behind and maybe put restrictions on what they can do - I’m definitely not in favor of forced vaccinations but putting restrictions on them may persuade them to go ahead.

I got Pfizer shot #2 yesterday afternoon; felt fine the rest of the day. But have a mild headache today, chills, shoulder soreness and a bit tired. The chills is the most annoying of the 4.
I received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine Monday, three weeks after the first. Only side effects to both were a little bit of joint stiffness and lower energy level/fatigue. I guess my right arm is a little more sore this time; the first shot was on the left side so that's probably bc I have more muscle tone in the deltoid of my stronger arm.

I got my vaccine through the VA. They texted me back in February letting me know my age group was ow eligible to receive it, and it took maybe 3-4 texts to set it up. Easy peasy.

I had been hearing stories of how hard it is to get vaccine appts in WI so yesterday I tried like 10 places. Not one has an available appt within 25 miles of me.

So at least here demand still far outweighing supply. 
I see that too here (GA).  Hopefully the opening it up is more due some areas in the state seeing a surplus and just wanting to move quickly.  Is there a state by state tracker?

Had first shot a month ago with no side effects other than sore arm at injection point.

Got second dose (Moderna) Monday.  Felt fine the rest of the day other than a slight chill for about a half hour that evening that I dismissed.  That night at 2 am (about 12 hours after shot), woke up with the most severe chills I have had in a long time.  I had to put 3 layers of clothes on to get comfortable.  Did not sleep well after that.  Tuesday morning was hard with a few body aches, and very tired (likely due to restless night).  No fever.  Took some Tylenol.  By noon the body aches were gone.  The biggest effect Tuesday was my body temperature, I would get cold chills then a few hours later, peeling clothes off because I was hot.

Wednesday morning now and I feel pretty much normal.  Very slight soreness on arm (shot location).   Just happy to be done with it and go get my free Krispy Kreme donut.

@parasaurolophus you should expand that search area. I got lucky and got the random call from family member that worked at a place and it was close by. But if I didn't I definitely would have been looking at a 100+ mile radius. Would gladly have taken a half day off from work (heck my work would have given me the paid time off - I understand that is not universal though) just to be done with it

@parasaurolophus you should expand that search area. I got lucky and got the random call from family member that worked at a place and it was close by. But if I didn't I definitely would have been looking at a 100+ mile radius. Would gladly have taken a half day off from work (heck my work would have given me the paid time off - I understand that is not universal though) just to be done with it
Heck I would drive to North Dakota. I was checking for research purposes since i am not eligible yet. 

Eta: also on some of the sites 25 miles was the only radius available.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I'm doing.  Driving 3 hours rather than waiting 2-4 weeks for spots to open up in Cook County.   We targeted "red counties" within Illinois and found tons of appointments.

New York Times website has tons of state-by-state information, that’s mostly what I’ve been looking at.
I had posted in the main thread about finding this link with the raw data. 

https://github.com/owid/covid-19-data/blob/master/public/data/vaccinations/us_state_vaccinations.csv

I had commented that Georgia at a glance was "ok" at number of folks getting the vaccine in total (not fully vaccinated per se).  That was wrong - we are dead last of the 50 states with only Micronesia and PR being worse than us at per 100 people vaccinated rate.  Here's the bottom 15 (alphabetically) - I won't make too many comments other than to say we have a messaging issue with red states based on this list - many of these are the same states that are opening things up to all adults. 

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • District of Columbia
  • Federated States of Micronesia
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Puerto Rico
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virgin Islands

ETA - Georgia is purple I guess but the point remains - any further discuss can shift to the PSF.

Georgia didn’t want to be out done and starts with all adults today.  I share the concern of others that we have way too many people who won’t get vaccinated and I completely get the risk to those who can’t get the vaccine - just not sure what the answers are.  At some point we will have to leave those folks behind and maybe put restrictions on what they can do - I’m definitely not in favor of forced vaccinations but putting restrictions on them may persuade them to go ahead.
I think this is the no-brainer solution, and it's the one we're going to end up settling on regardless because it's the path of least resistance.  

If I were living in a state like Maryland where -- I gather -- it's still really hard to get vaccinated, I would be pretty ticked off that folks identically situated to me are able to get vaccinated at their convenience in so many other states.  Not mad at anybody in particular of course, just mad at the situation.  I'm in 100% sympathy on this point.

On the other hand, my primary concern is getting me and my family vaccinated.  Once that's taken care of, and once vaccines are widely available to everybody, I mostly just don't care what other people do.  If they don't want the shot, they don't take the shot.  No problem.  

But I'm not going to sit around and worry about what the most frightened and scientifically illiterate among us do.  I'm burning all of my masks and living my life as normal once I get a couple of weeks past dose #2.  I don't harbor any ill will toward people who don't get vaccinated, but I'm not budging an inch for their benefit.  I'm completely comfortable being selfish on this topic.

I think this is the no-brainer solution, and it's the one we're going to end up settling on regardless because it's the path of least resistance.  

If I were living in a state like Maryland where -- I gather -- it's still really hard to get vaccinated, I would be pretty ticked off that folks identically situated to me are able to get vaccinated at their convenience in so many other states.  Not mad at anybody in particular of course, just mad at the situation.  I'm in 100% sympathy on this point.

On the other hand, my primary concern is getting me and my family vaccinated.  Once that's taken care of, and once vaccines are widely available to everybody, I mostly just don't care what other people do.  If they don't want the shot, they don't take the shot.  No problem.  

But I'm not going to sit around and worry about what the most frightened and scientifically illiterate among us do.  I'm burning all of my masks and living my life as normal once I get a couple of weeks past dose #2.  I don't harbor any ill will toward people who don't get vaccinated, but I'm not budging an inch for their benefit.  I'm completely comfortable being selfish on this topic.
I agree but does it give you pause at all for those that can't get vaccinated?  I'm firmly of the mindset you are but as I understand it, there's lots of people (numbers-wise, not %) that can't get the vaccine.  For that reason, I'm in favor of some restrictions for those who choose to not get vaccinated.  If we were only left with people who could get vaccinated and choose not to then I'm pretty much entirely in agreement.

Get first shot today at 4:00.  

I had foot surgery a few months ago and I was very uncomfortable today and took 4 Advil around 10:30.  Then I remembered this thread and started freaking out.  

I did some research.  There's no real evidence that taking NSAIDs lessens the effectiveness of the vaccine, only that they don't know so are advising against it.  I also don't understand how it's ok to take something right after the shot but not before.  

I thought about rescheduling just in case but now it's about impossible to find something now that it's open to 40+.

I was forwarded a tweet where someone successfully called Walmart to join a "no waste" list, and it resulted in Walmart calling him and a 1st dose - despite him not yet being eligible under state guidelines. Gotta say, this bugs me. I/wife signed up under our state registry and provided text info to be alerted when/if vax becomes available. The idea of ineligible folks creating back channels, and an ecosystem where a vax distributor is using a back channel list rather than working with the formal registry system to alert eligible people who have requested text alerts, just seems wrong. Them referring to it as "hey, would have been wasted" - I mean call it whatever let's you sleep better at night. It's just flat line jumping.

Got my first dose of Moderna yesterday at our county complex.  Managed to get an appointment via a registerable wait-list the county maintains.  Was only on it for like a month or so.  Not bad.  The actual appointment was awesome.  Got the same time as my wife - drive-through vaccination.  Very organized and easy to follow.  Drive in, wait in a queue, get stuck, wait 15 minutes, leave.  All from the comfort of your car.  

Arm is a little sore, and I was pretty tired yesterday PM...otherwise all good.  We'll see how dose #2 hits me...

I had foot surgery a few months ago and I was very uncomfortable today and took 4 Advil around 10:30.  Then I remembered this thread and started freaking out.  

I did some research.  There's no real evidence that taking NSAIDs lessens the effectiveness of the vaccine, only that they don't know so are advising against it.  I also don't understand how it's ok to take something right after the shot but not before.  

I thought about rescheduling just in case but now it's about impossible to find something now that it's open to 40+.
It’s more a theoretical than evidenced-based concern. I wouldn’t worry about it.

My 20 year old son had Covid in November. I asked him if he was going to get the vaccine now that it has opened up to folks in our state 16 and up. He said, "I've thought about it. I will get the vaccine, but I'm going to wait. I had it. It really wasn't that bad for me since I'm young. I'd rather wait until you can basically walk up anywhere and get it. I don't want to take the spot of someone who needs it more than me." He's got a good heart.  :thumbup:

My 28 year old daughter got her first shot on Monday. Had no side effects. She is the main caretaker for my father who is fully vaccinated and had been super careful throughout this pandemic for him. She has a good heart.  :thumbup:

My 26 year old son also had covid in December. He has no plans to get the vaccine unless the army MAKES him get it. Because, 'It's all a bunch of BS." He listens to my father-in-law way too much who is on the political side of the spectrum that rejects the vaccines. :shrug:  

Moderna #1 done.  Quick process at the local clinic.  Took temp, answered a short allergies questionnaire, got the shot, waited 15 minutes then out the door.

Confirmed they got my info from the state registration.  My age group wasn't originally scheduled until April 1.  Maybe they are running a little ahead or not finding enough takers.  :shrug:  

At some point we will have to leave those folks behind and maybe put restrictions on what they can do - I’m definitely not in favor of forced vaccinations but putting restrictions on them may persuade them to go ahead.
This is where I am.  I've heard talk of concerts that will require proof of vaccination or a negative test within 48 hours.  Maybe we will see more of that.

I asked an anti covid vax coworker what he would do if sporting events started requiring vaccinations.  His answer was, "I just won't go."  Fine with me I guess.  This same guy HATES wearing a mask.  I'm having a hard time reconciling the number of people I know who hate wearing masks but have also said they won't get the vaccination.  Is my logic wrong that the more people we get vaccinated the sooner those that hate wearing masks can stop wearing them?

I had been hearing stories of how hard it is to get vaccine appts in WI so yesterday I tried like 10 places. Not one has an available appt within 25 miles of me.

So at least here demand still far outweighing supply. 
... the places in Wisconsin where no one was masking and everyone was going into crowded phone-booth bars and mainlining COVID virus with IVs -- those places are more than 25 miles away from you, I take it?

There are starting to be local walk-up vaccination sites in the New Orleans suburbs. Got one notification via e-mail and drove by another large site on the way to work. Only advertisement for the latter (that I know of) is a big roadside electronic sign, like the ones used near highway construction sites.

On Sunday my wife got her first at a site in Lincoln Park.  Yesterday there was a news blurb about that site, and how all the shots they were giving out to the public were supposedly ear marked for only the Chicago Public School teachers.   According to the clinic they were only giving out the extras on the weekends, and that teachers were getting shots during the week.  According to CPS, the clinic was supposed to keep all the shots they got in the fridge until the teachers needed their second doses.  So now my wife needs to find a new place to get her second shot setup since the clinic was stripped of all its shots.

Heck I would drive to North Dakota. I was checking for research purposes since i am not eligible yet. 

Eta: also on some of the sites 25 miles was the only radius available.
This might vary by state ... but around here (SE Louisiana, suburban New Orleans), getting an appointment via the Internet didn't really work. Calling individual places paid off in spades, and quickly (well, within a few hours). And this is an area with a glut of available vaccines.

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:    That is totally me.  Got my 2nd yesterday and after 4 hours, talked myself into some hydro-acetamin.  But that didn't stop the debate in my head throughout the night.

I guess my right arm is a little more sore this time; the first shot was on the left side so that's probably bc I have more muscle tone in the deltoid of my stronger arm.
Speaking of second guessing (my post above).  I got both shots in the my left, weaker arm.  That's just where the pharmacist went, I didn't even think about it.

Now I'm wondering about that decision, thanks.

So, I got my first round of Pfizer vaccine on Monday. Yesterday was rough. I had the virus back in December, so I don't know if that affected it or not. But all day yesterday I was very sore head to toe and dizzy and lightheaded throughout most of the afternoon. I went home and ate dinner and just basically crashed for the night. Woke up this morning everything is pretty much back to normal, but for a day it was pretty rough.

Getting Pfizer #1 on Sunday.  Very happy to do so.  

Are the anti-vax crowd against COXID vaccines too?  Seems hypocritical to get this one but refuse the others.

This might vary by state ... but around here (SE Louisiana, suburban New Orleans), getting an appointment via the Internet didn't really work. Calling individual places paid off in spades, and quickly (well, within a few hours). And this is an area with a glut of available vaccines.
They just opened a group in WI on Monday so I am guessing that's why there is nothing available. Seeing lots of people on facebook who are now eligible scrambling all over. Pharmacist I know said his phone is ringing off the hook. 

I am real happy to hear it since WI was already at 2.4 million doses administered. If demand has spiked and there is still another big group left to open up, I think we are in pretty good shape. 

My 20 year old son had Covid in November. I asked him if he was going to get the vaccine now that it has opened up to folks in our state 16 and up. He said, "I've thought about it. I will get the vaccine, but I'm going to wait. I had it. It really wasn't that bad for me since I'm young. I'd rather wait until you can basically walk up anywhere and get it. I don't want to take the spot of someone who needs it more than me." He's got a good heart.  :thumbup:

My 28 year old daughter got her first shot on Monday. Had no side effects. She is the main caretaker for my father who is fully vaccinated and had been super careful throughout this pandemic for him. She has a good heart.  :thumbup:

My 26 year old son also had covid in December. He has no plans to get the vaccine unless the army MAKES him get it. Because, 'It's all a bunch of BS." He listens to my father-in-law way too much who is on the political side of the spectrum that rejects the vaccines. :shrug:  
2/3 isn't bad.  

Doug B said:
... the places in Wisconsin where no one was masking and everyone was going into crowded phone-booth bars and mainlining COVID virus with IVs -- those places are more than 25 miles away from you, I take it?
Plenty of those within 25 miles too. Lake country has tons of them

chet said:

Are the anti-vax crowd against COXID vaccines too?  Seems hypocritical to get this one but refuse the others.
Anecdotally, I know two anti-vaxxers.  One will not get the vaccine under any circumstances.  The other will get it if it is necessary to show proof of vaccination to travel.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
In one of the threads somewhere @Biff84explained that it will happen automatically because the federal government sends out vaccines based on how much of the previous batch were used.
Probably not automatic but it is a system that can be quickly adjusted based on demand. We are currently getting vaccines from two sources - the federal pharmacy program and the county. Both give us doses with the requirement that they are to be given within a week or you won’t be given more in the future.

The federal doses are pretty much and automatic 100 per week and I don’t know if they are monitoring too closely, just going on the honor system for now.

The county doses we get are requested mainly by our chain manager and they will allocate the doses on a weekly basis. The county requests doses from the state and the state requests them from feds. I know that at least on the county level they are monitoring how much we are giving before they give us more and I’d assume the state and feds are doing the same for the level below.

The adjustments will come when the feds get requests for additional doses from states above their normal allotment. If they have the doses, they will just giving them. If they don’t have enough, they’re going to take a look at the % doses given to decide which states justify an increase and which ones  might be sitting on a surplus. They may be doing this on a proactive basis already but I’m way down the food chain, so I don’t know.

Since it’s weekly allocations, adjustments should be able to be made pretty quickly. That’s if the system works right, which is a legit question.

Anecdotally, I know two anti-vaxxers.  One will not get the vaccine under any circumstances.  The other will get it if it is necessary to show proof of vaccination to travel.
I haven’t made much effort to convince anti-vaxxers yet simply because our appointments have been booked. But I have noticed a lot of people getting the COVID shot who ‘don’t believe’ in the flu shot. I’ve also had a few of our regular no mask customers who have gotten it or are interested.

BigJim® said:
I was forwarded a tweet where someone successfully called Walmart to join a "no waste" list, and it resulted in Walmart calling him and a 1st dose - despite him not yet being eligible under state guidelines. Gotta say, this bugs me. I/wife signed up under our state registry and provided text info to be alerted when/if vax becomes available. The idea of ineligible folks creating back channels, and an ecosystem where a vax distributor is using a back channel list rather than working with the formal registry system to alert eligible people who have requested text alerts, just seems wrong. Them referring to it as "hey, would have been wasted" - I mean call it whatever let's you sleep better at night. It's just flat line jumping.
Almost everyone I know under age 55 in Illinois who got vaccinated in the last 2 weeks of Feb/1st 2 weeks of March got vaccinated exactly the way you describe above.  It is beyond maddening.

Got my 2nd Moderna here a couple hours ago. Crossing my fingers things go smooth--too many horror stories on the internet about people having a bad time after the 2nd shot, 

chet said:

There's one woman in our office who is an anti-vaxxer and thinks that every cure for every medical problem exists in nature.  After getting COVID in January, travelling to Mexico, and infecting her son's entire hockey team (coach has lingering issues), she says she has no intention of getting the vaccine.  At least she has antibodies for another 4-8 months.

There's one woman in our office who is an anti-vaxxer and thinks that every cure for every medical problem exists in nature.  After getting COVID in January, travelling to Mexico, and infecting her son's entire hockey team (coach has lingering issues), she says she has no intention of getting the vaccine.  At least she has antibodies for another 4-8 months.
Some people shouldn't be allowed out in public. She is one such person. At some point, blatant ignorance should have a price.

Shoulder started getting a little sore last night and is a little worse this morning.  Just around the injection site.  Not even close to the point I would think about taking pain meds for though.  Feels like a bruise.

Shoulder started getting a little sore last night and is a little worse this morning.  Just around the injection site.  Not even close to the point I would think about taking pain meds for though.  Feels like a bruise.
I had a visible bruise the size of a half dollar for about a week after #1.  It was only sore for a few days, but the discoloration stuck around longer. 

Users who are viewing this thread