Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?


gianmarco

Covid vaccine  

453 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Funky Cold Moderna shot #1 yesterday. Shoulder soreness is all. The nurse was pretty attractive. Asked me what I was doing the rest of the day.

Told her I was going home to my wife and kids.  :kicksrock:

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 8
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Florida is opening up to 40+ on Monday and 18+ next Monday. I was pre-registered with the State, but it looks like their system dumped me. I pre-registered again and got a confirmation code this time. There are 4 vaccine locations near me and I'll take whatever they have available. Hoping I get lucky and get my shot before heading out west next Thursday.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2nd Moderna was yesterday and I was feeling great until evening and then the body aches hit. Just sore beyond belief and it kept me up most of the night. I still have them this morning--along with some mild nausea.  I am off the next few days, so I have plenty of time to get over this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Jayrod said:

So, I got my first round of Pfizer vaccine on Monday. Yesterday was rough. I had the virus back in December, so I don't know if that affected it or not. But all day yesterday I was very sore head to toe and dizzy and lightheaded throughout most of the afternoon. I went home and ate dinner and just basically crashed for the night. Woke up this morning everything is pretty much back to normal, but for a day it was pretty rough.

Days 2 and 3 after the vaccine have been fine.  Basically one day of side effects, most notably soreness and light-headedness.  I still worked all day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Got round 1 scheduled for next Tuesday.  My allergies have been whipping up all week.  Anyone know if that's still a go if I can't clear this stuff up before then?

The only thing they did where I went was take my temperature - you do feel out a standard form about "how are you feeling today" but unless you are running a fever I would think you are fine.  Obviously if you have other symptoms and are concerned you may actually have COVID you should probably reschedule and talk to your doctor/get tested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those of you who had body aches and such with the 2nd shots, if you had two little kids, would you recommend spacing husband and wife out a few days on the 2nd shot so you're not both knocked out at the same time? Just wondering how bad it is.

I ask because my wife, kids, and I all had the flu at the same dang time a month ago and it was miserable trying to take care of two little ones on very little rest for two or three days. So if there is a chance that the 2nd shot knocks us both out, I'm thinking we should separate ours out a week-ish so at least one of us is actually useful while the other feels like crap. Although, this is all hypothetical at this point since we are not likely to be eligible for the vaccine for quite a while yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FBG26 said:

For those of you who had body aches and such with the 2nd shots, if you had two little kids, would you recommend spacing husband and wife out a few days on the 2nd shot so you're not both knocked out at the same time? Just wondering how bad it is.

I ask because my wife, kids, and I all had the flu at the same dang time a month ago and it was miserable trying to take care of two little ones on very little rest for two or three days. So if there is a chance that the 2nd shot knocks us both out, I'm thinking we should separate ours out a week-ish so at least one of us is actually useful while the other feels like crap. Although, this is all hypothetical at this point since we are not likely to be eligible for the vaccine for quite a while yet. 

I think that makes sense

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I think this is the no-brainer solution, and it's the one we're going to end up settling on regardless because it's the path of least resistance.  

If I were living in a state like Maryland where -- I gather -- it's still really hard to get vaccinated, I would be pretty ticked off that folks identically situated to me are able to get vaccinated at their convenience in so many other states.  Not mad at anybody in particular of course, just mad at the situation.  I'm in 100% sympathy on this point.

On the other hand, my primary concern is getting me and my family vaccinated.  Once that's taken care of, and once vaccines are widely available to everybody, I mostly just don't care what other people do.  If they don't want the shot, they don't take the shot.  No problem.  

But I'm not going to sit around and worry about what the most frightened and scientifically illiterate among us do.  I'm burning all of my masks and living my life as normal once I get a couple of weeks past dose #2.  I don't harbor any ill will toward people who don't get vaccinated, but I'm not budging an inch for their benefit.  I'm completely comfortable being selfish on this topic.

Longer term won't the vaccine be available to everyone? And just the people who don't want it or medically cannot get it will be left? Isn't that just more Darwin award nominees for the former group?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, FBG26 said:

For those of you who had body aches and such with the 2nd shots, if you had two little kids, would you recommend spacing husband and wife out a few days on the 2nd shot so you're not both knocked out at the same time? Just wondering how bad it is.

I ask because my wife, kids, and I all had the flu at the same dang time a month ago and it was miserable trying to take care of two little ones on very little rest for two or three days. So if there is a chance that the 2nd shot knocks us both out, I'm thinking we should separate ours out a week-ish so at least one of us is actually useful while the other feels like crap. Although, this is all hypothetical at this point since we are not likely to be eligible for the vaccine for quite a while yet. 

Space it out or have someone come help.  My wife and I got the shots the same day.  My MIL stayed with us for the weekend (she is fully vaccinated).  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jayrod said:

Days 2 and 3 after the vaccine have been fine.  Basically one day of side effects, most notably soreness and light-headedness.  I still worked all day.

I’m on the same schedule as you, today was the first day I’ve felt myself. Lot of joint and back stiffness, nothing serious.

It’s been challenging getting all the older Vets in my PTSD group to get vaccinated - majority of them being black or Latino- but our last holdout announced Tuesday he had made the decision to go ahead and get the vaccine.

Still a lot of folks in church who are refusing, including two families who are dealing with active cases in the household rn.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jayrod said:

So, I got my first round of Pfizer vaccine on Monday. Yesterday was rough. I had the virus back in December, so I don't know if that affected it or not. But all day yesterday I was very sore head to toe and dizzy and lightheaded throughout most of the afternoon. I went home and ate dinner and just basically crashed for the night. Woke up this morning everything is pretty much back to normal, but for a day it was pretty rough.

From what I've heard/read, having the virus before often does make the reaction to the 1st shot more unpleasant. My dad was infected last fall and the first jab really beat him up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, caustic said:

From what I've heard/read, having the virus before often does make the reaction to the 1st shot more unpleasant. My dad was infected last fall and the first jab really beat him up. 

I had it last April, fairly mild both rounds. But so many factors it’s hard to generalize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, caustic said:

From what I've heard/read, having the virus before often does make the reaction to the 1st shot more unpleasant. My dad was infected last fall and the first jab really beat him up. 

I had it in mid-December and then got the first shot on Jan 22 and it hit me pretty hard from about hour 12 until hour 30 or so. After that I was fine. 2nd shot was a tiny bit of something but not much. 

YMMV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 11:31 AM, Wooderson said:

Get my first dose in 2 hours. 

Doing my part to get my state to move from #2 to #1. 

 

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

Couldn't of been easier yesterday. Got Pfizer. Pleasant people arrived a bit early and was out before my scheduled appointment time was to start. Location was a huge ballroom music playing overhead, nice atmosphere all around. 

I hesitate to say this but I've had no side effects. No soar arm, no flu like symptoms, nothing. I joke with my wife I got one of those placebo vaccines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random question - I'm trying to figure out the root of some pain I'm having.  I got the Moderna vaccine on Tuesday.  1st dose.  I also did a lot of yard work on Sunday...1st time this spring.

Today (worse than yesterday), my back is killing me.  I often have back issues...this just feels different.  Just a dull pain.  nothing seems to get rid of it.  Normally, my back gets tight.  This is sore...

Anybody experience anything like that with vaccine dose #1?  I want to chalk it up to yard work...but just not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I'm in line right now to get my first shot.  Pfizer.  Baltimore Convention Center mass vax site. 

Took me 2.5 hours from getting in line to getting out.  Absolutely worth it though.  The line moves relatively quickly, as they are injecting probably 20 people all the time, but there's just a lot of people to go through.  Glad to see a diverse crowd there (racial, age, abilities, etc.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Fat Nick said:

Random question - I'm trying to figure out the root of some pain I'm having.  I got the Moderna vaccine on Tuesday.  1st dose.  I also did a lot of yard work on Sunday...1st time this spring.

Today (worse than yesterday), my back is killing me.  I often have back issues...this just feels different.  Just a dull pain.  nothing seems to get rid of it.  Normally, my back gets tight.  This is sore...

Anybody experience anything like that with vaccine dose #1?  I want to chalk it up to yard work...but just not sure.

Dull ache that doesn't go away could be a kidney infection. I had one once but the pain eventually became severe and unbearable and I had no appetite. 

In your case it sounds like yard work. Or ball cancer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to stop at Walmart on the way home.  A lady from the pharmacy approached me on the other end of the store and asked if I wanted a shot because they had 3 left they needed to use.  Told her I just got my first yesterday.  Called my sister who is trying to get one, but she lives 30 minutes away and was getting her hair cut. 

I wasn't in the store long, but the pharmacy lady was still trying to find someone when I left.  I saw her ask one guy who bluntly replied "No and No."  :shrug: 

Edited by WDIK2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the 2nd Moderna 48 hours ago.  Sore arm and ended up achy the 2nd day, upper body.  Wasn't achy after the first shot.  But I took some meds and it was no big deal.

The caregiver for my folks also had the second Moderna shot a day after mine.  He's about 30 years younger (mid 20s), fwiw, and he was a little nauseated yesterday.  Ended up with the chills pretty bad this morning and said his whole body was very sore.

So the kid experienced much worse symptoms than I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my first shot (Moderna) at my local VA clinic on Tuesday and was extremely sore at injection site all the next day.  That was the only adverse symptom for me, although it's noticeably less sore today.  Also the same day, I took my brother -in law who I'm caregiver for to get his Pfizer vaccine at the local hospital.  He's got down's syndrome and chronic kidney disease.  He experienced markedly less soreness than me and seems to be fine.  Every time I rub my arm in discomfort he calls me a p*ssy. :)

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WDIK2 said:

I had to stop at Walmart on the way home.  A lady from the pharmacy approached me on the other end of the store and asked if I wanted a shot because they had 3 left they needed to use.  Told her I just got my first yesterday.  Called my sister who is trying to get one, but she lives 30 minutes away and was getting her hair cut. 

I wasn't in the store long, but the pharmacy lady was still trying to find someone when I left.  I saw her ask one guy who bluntly replied "No and No."  :shrug: 

What a disappointing story :rant:

I've been calling around for weeks asking places if they have a, "We Need To Administer These Doses," list I could get on. No joy

Wednesday night i signed up on Walgreens and found that there were Four appointments available in the entire state of WV (from Walgreens website). Got an appointment for 3 pm in a town just over two hours away from my work for today (Thursday). Happy doesn't describe how I felt after printing up the paperwork.

Then, I get a call from the wife this morning (Thursday) saying I can get the Johnson and Johnson tomorrow (Friday) at a cancer center ten minutes from work. Of course I did what I had to and got an appointment set up :clap:

I was willing to drive over two hours just to get my first shot and there are people that won't even take it when a chance comes out of the blue....... sad, just sad

ETA: As soon as my shot for Friday was confirmed, I called the Walgreens I was supposed to go to and cancelled the appointment. I didn't want to leave them hanging because somebody else can use that shot now.

Also, the Walgreens experience with regard to sign up and confirmation process was top notch. Not endorsing Walgreens, just relaying my feelings about the process.

Edited by drunken slob
Added an ETA
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my Pfizer covid vaccination this morning. So if I wear aluminum foil around my arm does that block the government from tracking me? Or does the microchip travel throughout the body and I need a tin foil suit? Or will my tin foil hat suffice? :tinfoilhat:

But seriously, tried signing up at Walgreens on Saturday night and it said I wasn't eligible to sign up until Monday. Tried again Sunday night and there were about 2 dozen appts. available for today. Signed up for my first shot today and my second shot in a couple of weeks right away. Checked again on Tuesday out of curiosity and there was absolutely nothing available. When I went in today the place was really busy. Mentioned it to the pharmacist and she said that there was a computer glitch and they were double booked for today and tomorrow. Not sure if I was one of those that benefited from the glitch or not but I'll take it.

Got my shot at 9:45 this morning. Felt fine all day but tonight the arm is getting stiff and sore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my first shot of Moderna this evening and I'm wondering if I had a mild allergic reaction. About 5 minutes after the jab I felt a bit weak and lightheaded, but I couldn't tell if that was because of the shot or because I was really hungry. Got some dinner afterwards and the weakness didn't go away at all, so the vaccine seems to be the culprit. I also developed a strange burning sensation in my lungs an hour or two afterwards. Laid down for several hours and feel much better now, but this has made me a bit worried about shot #2. Maybe I'll stick around at the pharmacy for more than 15 minutes next time, just in case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, parasaurolophus said:

Plenty of those within 25 miles too. Lake country has tons of them

Too bad you aren't close enough to Michigan. We have a huge center at Ford Field and they were putting the message out yesterday anyone who wanted a shot, no appointment needed just show up by 6. We have too many shots and can't get enough people to come and take them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, caustic said:

Got my first shot of Moderna this evening and I'm wondering if I had a mild allergic reaction. About 5 minutes after the jab I felt a bit weak and lightheaded, but I couldn't tell if that was because of the shot or because I was really hungry. Got some dinner afterwards and the weakness didn't go away at all, so the vaccine seems to be the culprit. I also developed a strange burning sensation in my lungs an hour or two afterwards. Laid down for several hours and feel much better now, but this has made me a bit worried about shot #2. Maybe I'll stick around at the pharmacy for more than 15 minutes next time, just in case. 

Yeah I would definitely tell them about that before you get the next shot. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Too bad you aren't close enough to Michigan. We have a huge center at Ford Field and they were putting the message out yesterday anyone who wanted a shot, no appointment needed just show up by 6. We have too many shots and can't get enough people to come and take them. 

Wasn't Michigan one of the states with the higher number of COVID positives? I know it was about a week ago when they said 12 states were showing increases and Michigan was like 4th highest. There are some things that just make me really worry about the future of this country. We have people climbing all over each other trying to get a shot here, despite some earlier inaccurate posts that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, caustic said:

From what I've heard/read, having the virus before often does make the reaction to the 1st shot more unpleasant. My dad was infected last fall and the first jab really beat him up. 

First one kicked my ### too. Maybe I was one of the “no symptoms “ cases last year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Too bad you aren't close enough to Michigan. We have a huge center at Ford Field and they were putting the message out yesterday anyone who wanted a shot, no appointment needed just show up by 6. We have too many shots and can't get enough people to come and take them. 

I will happily drive to MI to get a jab. Got a link to where they were putting out announcements? 

Probably less work than what i have been putting in here. Every day at EOD calling pharmacies asking if they have any doses that are going to be unused. Guy told me yes, come on in, one dose available. We live one mile away. Wife got in car right away. She got there within minutes and there was a woman sitting there eating cookies and drinking water. He walked up and down the aisles asking if anybody wanted it. Gave her the dose. I mean wtf? Did he think I was joking after calling him every day? 

Another time i stopped into the local grocery store pharmacy while grocery shopping and the pharmacist told me he only had one dose scheduled so far so he would have extra doses, come back at 6. So I came back at 6 and he was like oh yeah sorry used them on grocery store employees. I mean really? You didnt know you were going to do that two hours ago? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I become eligible next Tuesday and had signed up for a Pfizer shot at WalMart that day.  Last night, I was helping someone else get an appointment and a bunch of J&J shots opened up at a different WalMart two days later.  I grabbed one with the intention of canceling my Tuesday appointment, but now I'm hedging given that Pfizer is more effective.  Can anyone chime in on which appointment they would keep?

Edited by scorchy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, scorchy said:

I become eligible next Tuesday and had signed up for a Pfizer shot at WalMart that day.  Last night, I was helping someone else get an appointment and a bunch of J&J shots opened up at a different WalMart two days later.  I grabbed one with the intention of canceling my Tuesday appointment, but now I'm hedging given that Pfizer is more effective.  Can anyone chime in on which they would appointment they would keep?

Get the first one you can unless you just want a "one and done".  All the vaccines are effective at preventing severe COVID responses, so I wouldn't worry about efficacy at all.  The efficacy measurements are apples to oranges anyway due to time periods, locations, demographics, etc.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Z Machine said:

Get the first one you can unless you just want a "one and done".  All the vaccines are effective at preventing severe COVID responses, so I wouldn't worry about efficacy at all.  The efficacy measurements are apples to oranges anyway due to time periods, locations, demographics, etc.

Thanks.  Single shot is certainly easier, and the time span is between 5:00 pm on Tuesday vs 8 am Thursday.  Hmmm...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DallasDMac said:

Wasn't Michigan one of the states with the higher number of COVID positives? I know it was about a week ago when they said 12 states were showing increases and Michigan was like 4th highest. There are some things that just make me really worry about the future of this country. We have people climbing all over each other trying to get a shot here, despite some earlier inaccurate posts that might lead you to believe otherwise.

I think we are 1 or 2 right now for cases surging. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I will happily drive to MI to get a jab. Got a link to where they were putting out announcements? 

Probably less work than what i have been putting in here. Every day at EOD calling pharmacies asking if they have any doses that are going to be unused. Guy told me yes, come on in, one dose available. We live one mile away. Wife got in car right away. She got there within minutes and there was a woman sitting there eating cookies and drinking water. He walked up and down the aisles asking if anybody wanted it. Gave her the dose. I mean wtf? Did he think I was joking after calling him every day? 

Another time i stopped into the local grocery store pharmacy while grocery shopping and the pharmacist told me he only had one dose scheduled so far so he would have extra doses, come back at 6. So I came back at 6 and he was like oh yeah sorry used them on grocery store employees. I mean really? You didnt know you were going to do that two hours ago? 

Unfortunately it was just a thing they blasted out because so many people didn’t show up to their appointments and they were worried the doses would spoil so they said anyone who could get their by 6, no age or job restrictions could get it. I don’t have the info but Googling Ford Field Vaccine you may be able to get an appointment. It doesn’t sound like they have been nearly as busy as they hoped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jobarules said:

Dull ache that doesn't go away could be a kidney infection. I had one once but the pain eventually became severe and unbearable and I had no appetite. 

In your case it sounds like yard work. Or ball cancer.

I wondered re. Kidney.  I said that to my wife last night.  The location is aligned...I've never had one and don't know why I'd all of a sudden get one, but who knows.  Decided not to work out for a few days and see if it gets any better.  

I'm still hungry as ever, and no pee pee issues.  

...Can never rule out ball cancer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tip my dental hygienist gave me. Several of the sites like Walmart, etc, add their new open appts at midnight. I tried and sure enough had every timeslot open at my local Walmart a week out, as opposed to none available statewide when I was checking during the day.

One of them, CVS I think, she said was at 5am they do their updates.

So anyway, try at midnight if you are having trouble scheduling.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Earlier this week it was rumored that my group would be opened next (yeah!) and then official news broke yesterday that eligibility is opened to anyone 16+. I guess in the grand scheme it's best to go full boar since my lifestyle choices make me least likely to transmit, but boy, that goal post feels like it got significantly farther away now that I need to get into the "everyone else" line..  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Earlier this week it was rumored that my group would be opened next (yeah!) and then official news broke yesterday that eligibility is opened to anyone 16+. I guess in the grand scheme it's best to go full boar since my lifestyle choices make me least likely to transmit, but boy, that goal post feels like it got significantly farther away now that I need to get into the "everyone else" line..  

Try to get on a few lists now, even if you're not eligible (yet).  By the time you get an appointment, you will be eligible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't find a place to get my 1st shot (Walgreens, CVS, WalMart, local hospital, Publix) anywhere in South Florida but if I want to drive to the northern part of Florida (Pensacola/Tallahassee/Jacksonville), there are more than enough appointments at any place I check. I'm going to wait until something opens up but it's interesting to see the disparity between the two halves of the state...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...