What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (3 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I found where this 50% number is coming from (scroll about halfway down). You've got it backwards, though -- Moderna's first shot was 50% effective WITHIN the first two weeks after the first shot. AFTER the two weeks after the first shot ... that's when it gets to 92%.
Indeed you did find where I got that info, wow.  Thanks for diving into that and clarifying, it really helps.  Easter weekend I'll be at 11 days post 2nd Moderna shot and I was going back and forth on being so close to the finish line, so why even push it, especially with an 89 year old parent.  But I now feel like we're alright.  I'm also not over the top concerned anymore (6 days after my 2nd shot).

Thanks again, appreciate it.

My 97 year old father got his second Moderna dose on Sat. morning. No side effects so far. He is a little down about his crappy NCAA bracket, though.
I read someplace that younger people (i.e. people with more robust immune systems) are more likely to experience reactions.

I read someplace that younger people (i.e. people with more robust immune systems) are more likely to experience reactions.
Sample size of one, but my wife is immune-compromised, and she had almost no side effects for her two Pfizer doses.  Supports your "someplace".

Is it safe to say Pfizer and Moderna are just being extra cautious on that one and two week guideline after the second shot until fully vax'd?  I'm curious how they both ended up at exactly one and two week timeframes.  And also exact weekly timelines (3 and 4) on the first shot as well.  I mean people aren't going to remember say 5 or 11 day intervals as easily, right?  Much easier for scheduling too, obviously.

So I'm considering cutting my two week Moderna window a few days short on Easter weekend.  Yet not dropping my guard completely by any means.

I read that efficacy is at like 50% for Moderna two weeks after the first shot.  Anyone know numbers after the 2nd shot?  Like a week after, for example?
It isn't that they are being extra cautious, it is that is the timeframe used in the trials that shows the 90%+ efficacy.  They didn't test other timeframes.  

So wife, youngest son and I just had 2nd shots.  

First question asked of each of us:
How did you react to the first shot?

She went on to say that Pfizer was about 70% two weeks after first shot and that second adds about 2% per day for two weeks.  So day 5, 80%, day 10m 90%, etc.

She went on to say that Pfizer was about 70% two weeks after first shot and that second adds about 2% per day for two weeks.  So day 5, 80%, day 10m 90%, etc.
So by her numbers, Pfizer isn't into the 90's until 10 days after the 2nd shot.  But they tell us we're good a week after (totally fine).  Meanwhile Moderna says we're good 2 weeks after.  It's all great, I'm just curious.  Moderna and Pfizer seem so similar, I guess it makes me wonder why one would be basically a 4 week total timeframe for the two shots, while the other's 6.

Are Moderna's guidelines simply a tad more conservative?

Publix site was interesting this morning when appointments opened half an hour ago. I think I waited about 18 minutes of 1 minute auto refreshes until I could get an appointment. All the times were not great and the likelihood of getting Mrs. O an appointment anywhere near mine was highly unlikely so we’re sticking with our Walgreen’s appointments about a half hour drive away this Wednesday. 
I got mine at wallgreens yesterday.  Tried for 2 weeks with CVS and Publix.  

So by her numbers, Pfizer isn't into the 90's until 10 days after the 2nd shot.  But they tell us we're good a week after (totally fine).  Meanwhile Moderna says we're good 2 weeks after.  It's all great, I'm just curious.  Moderna and Pfizer seem so similar, I guess it makes me wonder why one would be basically a 4 week total timeframe for the two shots, while the other's 6.

Are Moderna's guidelines simply a tad more conservative?
Moderna is 24-41 days to receive the second dose 

I'm pretty sure Moderna chose the 14day window during their testing. So their pre 14 day window doesn't have much data Moderna is technically a higher dosage

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the first Pfizer shot today.  Pretty efficient cattle rustling by the folks in Dayton.  Bring ya in one door, check IDs, herd you to a well spaced seating area where a nurse with a cart delivers the shot.  Leave you alone for 15mins then you leave.  I wish my normal doctor visits were this well paced.  No long lines or waiting,  They kept the folks moving through the process.

Just got the first Pfizer shot today.  Pretty efficient cattle rustling by the folks in Dayton.  Bring ya in one door, check IDs, herd you to a well spaced seating area where a nurse with a cart delivers the shot.  Leave you alone for 15mins then you leave.  I wish my normal doctor visits were this well paced.  No long lines or waiting,  They kept the folks moving through the process.
That's the way it should be.

Very Good News!

Real-world evidence that the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines prevent infection, not just disease and death. - 80% effective against infection 14d after 1st dose but prior to 2nd dose - 90% effective against infection 14d after 2nd dose.

That has to mean same/similar effectiveness against transmission too.  This thing is OVER if people get the damn shots.

Peak said:

Capella said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/29/world/pfizer-moderna-covid-vaccines-infection.html

big news on how unlikely it is for vaccinated folks to transmit. 
Bonus: From the same link:

There also has been concern that variants may render the vaccines less effective. The study’s results do not confirm that fear. Troubling variants were circulating during the time of the study — from December 14, 2020 to March 13, 2021 — yet the vaccines still provided powerful protection.
Calling it: Negative news about the risk of variants are scaremongering media exaggerations to drive clicks & eyeballs. Any time they quote a responsible researcher about variants, they largely ignore or downplay the 90% of what the researcher said positive, and focused in on the 10% "maybes" and "possiblies" to spin a scare story.

Calling it: Negative news about the risk of variants are scaremongering media exaggerations to drive clicks & eyeballs. Any time they quote a responsible researcher about variants, they largely ignore or downplay the 90% of what the researcher said positive, and focused in on the 10% "maybes" and "possiblies" to spin a scare story.
I’ve been saying this for months. Scientists can’t give a definitive answer on things without...having a definitive answer, and our crappy clicks for pay media system has in turn taken advantage of that to scare up web traffic. Same reason they shot out the headlines that Johnson and Johnson was only 65% effective for covid when in fact it was 100% effective against death and serious illness. It’s infuriating beyond belief. 

Peak said:
Nice, congrats.  I just scheduled mine for Wed.  VA just opened up Phase 1b, so I know 5 people getting vaccinated this week.  I think that's a good sign for Northern VA.

Getzlaf15 said:
When does the government control take effect?
So I posted this on my FB at the same time and it's been quite comical.  Thankfully, only two tin foils have checked in.

My fave so far is, "Could you see the miniature microchip heading down the syringe?"

ETA:  Arm a tiny bit sore and a little tired.  Like last time.

I think that is true and people reporting without full studies and information.  This thing is going to mutate though and require booster shots at some point.  Maybe not indefinitely as this fades into a more common cold type illness and it no longer is "novel" to us.

I have been refreshing the local pharmacy sites all day, still cannot get in.

On the HEB site for example there were some J&J vaccines in both Austin and San Antonio today and they were gone within 5 minutes. Since they opened up vaccines for everyone in Texas I probably have alot of competition.

I may have missed the Houston area vaccines.

I literally can not recall ever having any reaction to a shot before.  Had Pfizer on Sunday.

Shot sight is still slightly sore 1.5 days later

back and core felt stiff 

Slightly lethargic and sleepy

zero regrets

I have been researching the places I can get this in California when they open it up to 50+ on April 1st. Other than seeing some pharmacies open up new vaccines at midnight is there anything else useful to know such as some only open them up on a particular day or a particular time?  Don't want to be trying all day long every day. Figure if I can't get it lined up before April 15 when they open it up to 16+ then its going to become a total madhouse. I found Walgreens was doing it two to four days in advance starting at midnight but no idea if that data is still valid. My goal is to get my wife and myself our first dose in that 14 day window so we can schedule the 2nd one (if not J&J) before it opens up. Of course could still be impossible. I can find doses all over right now but can't sign up for them yet.

Below are some of the links I found for CA. First two are to find any sites and others are more specific. 

https://www.vaccinateca.com/

https://vaccinefinder.org/search/

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/vaccination/covid-19

https://www.mhealthappointments.com/covidappt

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine

https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/covid-qualifier

My elderly neighbor called me over today because he needed help with his trash. He's in a wheelchair and sometimes not 100% lucid.  But this time he used his phone to call me and knew who I was, which is much better than yelling at people. 

Anyway, I asked him if he'd been vaccinated yet and he said "no. You don't need to get that. That's not for everyone. "  Then he noticed my mask and said, "oh I should put my face mask on. "

I told him that he should get a vaccine and that if we want to stop wearing these damn masks, we all need to get the vaccine. 

His neice helps him out to get him food and such, but she may be feeding him this "no vaccine" info.  Either that or he's watching some bad news programs at very high volume on his TV.

Had fist Moderna on Wednesday.  Arm was pretty sore on Thursday, but that was it.  Weekend was totally fine. 

After dinner tonight, I laid down and fell asleep on the couch.  Felt absolutely exhausted.  I never do this.  Wife is convinced it's from the vaccine but I don't think so, being 5 days out.

I’ve been saying this for months. Scientists can’t give a definitive answer on things without...having a definitive answer, and our crappy clicks for pay media system has in turn taken advantage of that to scare up web traffic. Same reason they shot out the headlines that Johnson and Johnson was only 65% effective for covid when in fact it was 100% effective against death and serious illness. It’s infuriating beyond belief. 
Replace “lie” with “negativity” and I think this is where we are at today. 

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”

I have been researching the places I can get this in California when they open it up to 50+ on April 1st. Other than seeing some pharmacies open up new vaccines at midnight is there anything else useful to know such as some only open them up on a particular day or a particular time?  Don't want to be trying all day long every day. Figure if I can't get it lined up before April 15 when they open it up to 16+ then its going to become a total madhouse. I found Walgreens was doing it two to four days in advance starting at midnight but no idea if that data is still valid. My goal is to get my wife and myself our first dose in that 14 day window so we can schedule the 2nd one (if not J&J) before it opens up. Of course could still be impossible. I can find doses all over right now but can't sign up for them yet.

Below are some of the links I found for CA. First two are to find any sites and others are more specific. 

https://www.vaccinateca.com/

https://vaccinefinder.org/search/

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/vaccination/covid-19

https://www.mhealthappointments.com/covidappt

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine

https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/covid-qualifier
there's no county website/app?  down here in orange county, i signed up on the othena app.  as soon as we were eligible, the wife and i received texts to make our appointments.  took less than a minute to sign up originally(in jan) and again, to make the actual appointments.  super smooth and easy.

Got second Pfizer shot Saturday night.  Had a low grade fever, fatigue and body aches on Sunday around noon for 4-5 hours so just took a couple Tylenol and laid around on the couch.  Felt better that night and fine the next day.

Had fist Moderna on Wednesday.  Arm was pretty sore on Thursday, but that was it.  Weekend was totally fine. 

After dinner tonight, I laid down and fell asleep on the couch.  Felt absolutely exhausted.  I never do this.  Wife is convinced it's from the vaccine but I don't think so, being 5 days out.
I was tired for days 3 and 4 after first shot.  I think she's right.

It's been 12 hours since shot #2.  Arm is a little sore. That's it.   zazale just messaged me he thinks he got the placebo. LOL.   I'm sure we are going to get nailed tomorrow for that comment .  LOL

gruecd said:
This is true for most immunologic phenomena. It’s a little hard to reconcile with older people being the highest risk for severe covid, as ultimately the “cytokine storm” immune response its what usually does people in.

My understanding is that the vaccine primarily works by attacking the spike protein that allows the virus to actually attach and infect our cells. And the vaccine does this in multiple ways. So even if the spike protein would mutate to eliminate one of the ways the vaccine attacks it, the vaccine would still be effective. The virus would basically have to develop and entirely new structure to infect us with for it to make the vaccines ineffective.

At least that’s my understanding, I may have misunderstood at some point.

How long does the vax last, a year?  
We don’t know, and it’s arguably unknowable, but:

1. Antibody response has been shown to be intact at least 8 months after primary infection IIRC

2. Vaccine-induced immunity is likely more potent than that derived from being infected.

3. The current vaccines appear to be active against existing variants

That being said, run-of-the-mill coronaviruses may induce incomplete immunity and/or evade the immune system to cause reinfection (not sure of the time interval). This finding coupled with the random nature of mutations may eventually necessitate booster shots.

The good news is, coronaviruses mutate much slower than influenza, and don’t exchange large snippets of protein-encoding genetic material between strains like flu. But flu is much more seasonal, and there will be plenty of SARS-CoV-2 circulating worldwide for a long time (due to inadequate vaccine availability), with commensurate potential for meaningful mutation.

Lastly, despite our fondness for even numbers, pathogens don’t have calendars.

Just had phizer #2 yesterday and had like the best sleep of my life last night so I’m going back for shot #3 next week. 
#3??

What are you guys hearing about probably needing booster shots in six months?

Had my Pfizer #2 yesterday around 9am.  Around 5pm I got dizzy and achy.  Came on like a wave.  Tylenol seemed to help.

Oh and my arm is f-ing sore.  So sore my wife moved last night and the pull of the sheets against my arm woke me up.  

Now I have general body aches, lots of stiffness in my back, and a pretty bad headache.  Really just want to curl up on the couch under a blanket.

I knew you were joking but have wondered if they’ve had people either accidentally or on purpose try to get a 3rd dose or doses of two different ones.  And if it’s happened what happened to that person.  
So when I got my shot yesterday they asked if I had taken another vaccine since my first phizer. Nurse went on to tell me somebody came in for their second phizer and a week previous also got the J&J. He lied to them when they asked, but there is a federal database they are checking up against to see what people have taken. 

Had mine the same day and arm felt sore for maybe a half hour until my 16 year old punched me right on the shot spot the next day. As Red always said, dumb ###. Definitely hurt a bit more than normal, but just for a minute.

So when I got my shot yesterday they asked if I had taken another vaccine since my first phizer. Nurse went on to tell me somebody came in for their second phizer and a week previous also got the J&J. He lied to them when they asked, but there is a federal database they are checking up against to see what people have taken. 
That dude REALLY wants that third arm.

I knew you were joking but have wondered if they’ve had people either accidentally or on purpose try to get a 3rd dose or doses of two different ones.  And if it’s happened what happened to that person.  
If I've learned anything from role playing games, it's that taking an extra vaccine shot will make it so that not only am I immune to covid, but I actually regenerate HPs when exposed to SARS-CoV-2.  Can't wait.

We also had second Pfizer at 9am yesterday.  

Went to bad with mild headache.  Woke up and it's a little worse. Arm is pretty sore.

Wife had chills in early am hours , but they are gone now.  

I scheduled nothing for today 

Users who are viewing this thread