What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (6 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
This town loves its dining, and was loathe to give it up for long, pandemic or not. Accordingly, outdoor dining options -- which were ample before -- have positively blossomed. Here's a handy list of 24 N.O. outdoor-dining locales (#2 and #19 are best for cheap-but-good eats with the kids) ... but also ask whoever local you all are staying with. There are hundreds more places in the city and suburbs.
Awesome, thanks. We are definitely excited to eat a ton there lol. 

Yeah that was one of the ones on the preregistration list.  I said I was willing to go anywhere.
My county has a website that maps available outlets for the vaccine. I went through the options nearest me, and the smallest of them was the one that had availability (a pediatrician, no less). I had to check back a few times to find open slots, but I discovered they seemed to be releasing them early in the morning for a few days out.

My county has a website that maps available outlets for the vaccine. I went through the options nearest me, and the smallest of them was the one that had availability (a pediatrician, no less).
This was also the shark tip here in SE Louisiana, at least a few weeks ago. It was hard to get appointments with major outfits (drugstore chains, major hospitals), especially when using their online sign-up sites. Placing a half-dozen phone calls to a couple of small independent pharmacies and clinics, and BAM -- results within hours.

Several surgeon buddies are having their wives/kids wait for J&J.  Moderna/Phizer are a new tech/method and the longterm side effects are not known.  J&J made the same way all other vaccines have been made forever so safer to assume there.
Not that they assume anything bad with Moderna/Phizer... but the fact is there is no data.
(Though I'm quoting matuski here, this material is for the house at large -- especially those on-the-fence about the vaccine and that have been reading, but not posting, in this thread)

Why should I trust the coronavirus vaccine when it was developed so fast? A doctor answers that and other reader questions (The Conversation, 12/20/2020)

Here, Dr. Lana Dbeibo, a clinical assistant professor of medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine, answers reader questions ...

I fully support the use of vaccines, but I worry about possible long-term side effects with the new vaccines. How can anyone say with any confidence there will be no long-term consequences with vaccines that have been developed so rapidly?

There are reasons the vaccines were developed rapidly: First, the production started before the end of phase 3 clinical trials. Second, there was a lot of interest in volunteering for the trials that tested the vaccines’ effectiveness, which expedited the process. Researchers often wait many months and sometimes even years to get people to volunteer to be part of trials.

Last, there was a lot of disease in the community which made it faster to see whether the vaccine was effective. The coronavirus has caused disease in millions of people in the U.S. alone, while Ebola and Zika viruses, while extremely serious, affected far fewer.

I worry much more about the long-term effects of the virus, which can be very debilitating and start soon after the infection. We have not seen reports of major effects of the vaccine in the past few months that it was studied; if there were major effects, I believe we should have started to see them by now. This could can change, however, and scientists would update recommendations accordingly.
Further reading:

Op-Ed: Why You Should Trust the COVID Vax — Overwhelming, documented evidence of both safety and efficacy (MedPage Today, 2/27/2021)

There are a number of factors which directly and intentionally resulted in the shortened timeline for development and rollout of the two mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, without compromising vaccine safety. Understanding these factors can both encourage healthcare workers to get the vaccine themselves and equip them with the information they need to reassure patients.

First, the context of the COVID-19 pandemic is a historic international public health crisis, reminiscent of the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic; an extraordinary level of financial and other resources including human expertise, were brought to bear in an unprecedented spirit of international collaboration and cooperation. Just days following the identification of SARS-CoV-2 – the virus that causes COVID-19 – in China, the entire genetic composition of the virus was published. This provided vaccine researchers an early blueprint for conceptualizing the development of vaccines using different vaccine platform technologies to maximize the probability of quickly identifying potentially viable vaccine candidates.

The Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines were the first to be granted emergency use authorization (EUA) by the U.S. FDA. Both vaccines utilize the mRNA platform technology, which, albeit new, has been in development for decades, is adaptable and efficient, and can allow for booster versions of the vaccines to be quickly developed in response to the emerging COVID-19 variants. The COVID-19 mRNA vaccines do not use the live virus that causes COVID-19. Rather, they carry a genetic code that instructs our cells to make a protein that triggers the immune system to produce antibodies to combat and prevent COVID-19 infection. Moreover, mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell, and therefore does not affect or interact with our DNA. The cell breaks down and eliminates the mRNA soon after the encoded instructions are executed.

While both the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines received EUA in December, they were administered to participants in the phase I studies as early as March 2020, with a primary focus on the evaluation of safety, which continued into phases II and III of the vaccine trials. The vaccine developers had amassed about 8 months of safety data before the vaccines were rolled out, and to date, more than 59 million doses have been administered in the U.S. This is particularly important, noting that "most vaccine-related adverse events would be expected over the first few weeks to months after vaccination," a period that has been accomplished for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Vaccine safety monitoring is ongoing, and according to the CDC, COVID-19 vaccines have "reassuring safety profiles."

Both articles above are full of links for those seeking to dive deep and collect as much information as is available.

Thanks, I’m preregistered for the mass vaccination sites as of a few days ago.   Is there a better way I should be trying?
I live in Maryland and the mass vaccination pre-registration was quick and easy.  I think I registered on 3/25.  Got a text on the 27th offering me an appointment on the 30th.  I showed up on the 30th and it was a total of 12 minutes from the time I entered the building to the time the needle was in my arm.  They said they will send me a text when the 2nd dose is due to set up the 2nd appointment.

If you have not heard back yet on your preregistration you might want to check with them at 855-634-6829.

We will have to agree to disagree on the level of risk. I would rather take my chance living with 1 person who had a large bubble than mingling with many people that have large bubbles.

Yes the risk of catching it is lower, but the chance of one or multiple of them having covid is higher.

Many people who wear masks do not know where they caught it from. Everyone wears masks where I live yet we have had two large spikes. So I know that wearing a mask while inside shopping does not reduce the risk that much from Covid.
You can disagree all you want, but your view is anti-science.

Alex P Keaton said:
You can disagree all you want, but your view is anti-science.
Explain the two large spikes in fort bend county texas. Everyone wears masks, and while I think they help I do not think they are the be all/ end all solution.

I am not am anti-masker, but we need to understand the limitations. If they were perfect I would not have refreshed vaccine websites for 2 days straight. There would have also not been a major push to get the vaccine distribution spread up.

Masks reduce the spread slightly from what I have observed and read. They are important and should be worn, but are only an interim solution.

Please feel free to post a scientific study to change my mind.

Or you can follow your science, trust the masks completely and not be vaccinated. Although I would not recommend that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain the two large spikes in fort bend county texas. Everyone wears masks, and while I think they help I do not think they are the be all/ end all solution.

I am not am anti-masker, but we need to understand the limitations. If they were perfect I would not have refreshed vaccine websites for 2 days straight. There would have also not been a major push to get the vaccine distribution spread up.

Masks reduce the spread slightly from what I have observed and read. They are important and should be worn, but are only an interim solution.

Or you can follow your science, trust the masks completely and not be vaccinated. Although I would not recommend that.
You asserted that it was safer to stay with another unvaccinated family (unmasked) in close proximity in the same dwelling than it is to be outdoors (masked), or indoors for short periods (masked), with random other people.

And that is scientifically absurd.

You asserted that it was safer to stay with another unvaccinated family (unmasked) in close proximity in the same dwelling than it is to be outdoors (masked), or indoors for short periods (masked), with random other people.

And that is scientifically absurd.

I do not think that is absurd at all, there is no study that can show who of us is correct, but I have a different opinion than you. I would rather be around 1 risky person for an extended period of time than around many risky people for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Call me "anti-science" or "absurd" all you want. I know we are both only talking about opinions. There is no study out there that can prove either one of our views correct.

Compared to controls without COVID-19, case patients were more than twice as likely to have reported dining at a restaurant (adjusted OR 2.4, 95% CI 1.5-3.8), reported Kiva Fisher, PhD, of the CDC, and colleagues.

I've gotten one vaccine shot and am getting my second next week.  I also had the virus in December.  Feeling like I'm doing my duty and having toed the line on the masking and isolating throughout the past year, I'm getting fatigued with it all a great deal.  I forgot a mask in a store on Saturday and was told I had to put one on (with no actual help finding one from the smug little college-age employee or anyone up front).  It really pissed me off and I felt like I was getting a ticket for rolling through a stop sign in the middle of nowhere with no cars around.

It would be helpful if there were some actual goals or steps laid out to an endgame with all of this.  When there is constantly a mantra to toe the line and sacrifice to do your part but there is no light at the end of the tunnel, it makes people bitter and angry.

I've gotten one vaccine shot and am getting my second next week.  I also had the virus in December.  Feeling like I'm doing my duty and having toed the line on the masking and isolating throughout the past year, I'm getting fatigued with it all a great deal.  I forgot a mask in a store on Saturday and was told I had to put one on (with no actual help finding one from the smug little college-age employee or anyone up front).  It really pissed me off and I felt like I was getting a ticket for rolling through a stop sign in the middle of nowhere with no cars around.

It would be helpful if there were some actual goals or steps laid out to an endgame with all of this.  When there is constantly a mantra to toe the line and sacrifice to do your part but there is no light at the end of the tunnel, it makes people bitter and angry.
The goal is for covid to go away. To do that people need vaccines and masks (for now). I personally think the push for vaccines is pretty strong right now but it’s up to the citizens to decide to take them and get us out of this. 

I get your frustration in the "I know my actual risk to people in a way no one else could" sense, but don't see much logic in having expectations based on what no one else knows. They are doing their job, and the smugness probably comes from defending store policy hundreds of times a day to both the honestly safe and the dishonestly risky.  

The most likely explanation is that the bolded comment that you keep repeating is complete BS. No way is everyone wearing masks all of the time.

Also, no one is claiming that masks are "perfect", so you can stop with the strawmen. However, even if they were there would still be a big push for vaccines as then you could get back closer to normal without having to wear masks, so that argument is equally poor.

I do not think that is absurd at all, there is no study that can show who of us is correct, but I have a different opinion than you. I would rather be around 1 risky person for an extended period of time than around many risky people for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Call me "anti-science" or "absurd" all you want. I know we are both only talking about opinions. There is no study out there that can prove either one of our views correct.

Compared to controls without COVID-19, case patients were more than twice as likely to have reported dining at a restaurant (adjusted OR 2.4, 95% CI 1.5-3.8), reported Kiva Fisher, PhD, of the CDC, and colleagues.
And why do you think this is? Hint, you can't wear a mask while eating....

The most likely explanation is that the bolded comment that you keep repeating is complete BS. No way is everyone wearing masks all of the time.

Also, no one is claiming that masks are "perfect", so you can stop with the strawmen. However, even if they were there would still be a big push for vaccines as then you could get back closer to normal without having to wear masks, so that argument is equally poor.

And why do you think this is? Hint, you can't wear a mask while eating....

There is no strawman, I am pro mask and I think they help reduce the spread. However they are not perfect and I think the risk is greater by being out and about in New Orleans with a mask on and eating with a mask off than by a risky relative.

As for your second part, this discussion started because there is a poster that is going out to eat in New Orleans. This part is relevant for the original discussion.

It is all about risk management and most people are awful at identifying risk, ie why more people are afraid of flying than driving.

Some anecdotal evidence that even people who had covid, still need the vaccine.

A close friend of the family had COVID several months ago (got it from her grandchildren who were in daycare).  She was in the hospital and on oxygen for a few days.  She still had no sense of taste/smell for months afterwards.  The day after her second Moderna shot, those senses came back.  

There is no strawman, I am pro mask and I think they help reduce the spread. However they are not perfect and I think the risk is greater by being out and about in New Orleans with a mask on and eating with a mask off than by a risky relative.

As for your second part, this discussion started because there is a poster that is going out to eat in New Orleans. This part is relevant for the original discussion.

It is all about risk management and most people are awful at identifying risk, ie why more people are afraid of flying than driving.
You have written multiple times something like "if they were perfect"- no one has even suggested that masks are perfect, which makes that a clear strawman.

You have also written "So I know that wearing a mask while inside shopping does not reduce the risk that much from Covid." Not sure if you are backtracking some now, but either way that statement is absurd.

It's not relevant to my post, it directly contradicts your "argument" that masks don't reduce the risk that much. Yes, it's about risk management, but if he's comfortable going out to eat that's his call- it doesn't mean he should take on additional risk by staying with someone he deems risky.

No comment on "everyone" wearing masks near you? In Texas, no less?

My county is stopping their drive thru clinics due to low demand for the shot.  We are about 25% vaccinated right now.  
The place we went to was two hours away but still had 25 open appointments. I’ve been texting everyone I know the link so they can pass it on. 

If anyone here needs the (phizer) shot and is in the DMV, I will post the link in the Washington DC thread shortly. 

We were also consistently the highest infection rate in the state last fall and winter.  We are now the lowest.  10% of the county has had a reported case of covid.  I personally know at least 10 people that had it with symptoms that were never tested.  I would guess that 30% to 40% of the county has had covid either symptomatic or asymptomatic. 

(Though I'm quoting matuski here, this material is for the house at large -- especially those on-the-fence about the vaccine and that have been reading, but not posting, in this thread)

Further reading:

Both articles above are full of links for those seeking to dive deep and collect as much information as is available.
Please do, I am all for getting the vaccines.   

I am also for calling out those trying to shame others for hesitating...

I am sure your links confirm that there is not any longterm data on these new vaccines (not even worth debate as they haven't existed for a period anyone would consider longterm) - thus a valid position to take, if not one we hold ourselves.  

A stupid thing to hold over others.

The respective risks are highly situational, and some control can be exercised over likely outcomes.

Want to eat indoors somewhere? Pass on the place if it looks full-ish (75% capacity is currently allowed) -- go to the place that's virtually empty and go at off-peak times (say, lunch at 11:00 am or 1:30 pm). Choose the place with the spacious dining room and high ceilings over the place with four tables and a counter. Better yet, take advantage of the weather and dine outdoors.

As for the risky relative ... hopefully they do Cappy a solid and get two negative quick tests before travelling. Otherwise, windows can be opened with a box fan blowing out, time can be spent on a porch, masks can be worn indoors when risky relative is in the room. And so forth.

Second dose (Moderna) is in the arm.  I don't want to go back to work! 
Recent study showed Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were like 90+% effective after a month with 1 dose.  You were already good.

Got my PFE shot last Friday.  I figure in a couple weeks I'm officially free.

Users who are viewing this thread