What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I have maybe a dumb question.  If we get chills and run a fever, obviously we are sick, but what are we sick with?  And are we contagious?

I have maybe a dumb question.  If we get chills and run a fever, obviously we are sick, but what are we sick with?  And are we contagious?
No you're not sick. Your immune system is working which is always the case when you have a fever. Usually the immune system is working against an illness. But in the case of the vaccine, the immune system is being tricked to react. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly seven hours past my second Moderna vaccination. After the first one, my shoulder was profoundly sore after maybe four hours. So far, the soreness with the second shot has not set in.

Nearly seven hours past my second Moderna vaccination. After the first one, my shoulder was profoundly sore after maybe four hours. So far, the soreness with the second shot has not set in.
Good to hear.  Getting my 2nd of Moderna tomorrow morning.  First shot had noticeable soreness but not too bad.  A repeat of that would be great after hearing some horror stories. 

Just got my first pfizer shot. Feeling okay actually. 

But reading your comments makes me wanna check on my wellbeing daily 

Second PFE yesterday at 3:30 PM. Dead tired by 6:30 and went to bed. Woke up eleven hours later feeling good, maybe my back's a bit sore.

Not looking forward to Saturday when my wife gets her second. A precedent has been established that you can lie in bed all day after your second shot. Her appointment is at 9:30 AM and we have three kids under 5. Ts and Ps are appreciated.

Thousands of available appointments in Mississippi

SEC is good at football, bad at getting vaccinated.

ETA: SEC states and where they rank out of the 50 states in percentage of population that’s had at least one shot -

FL (35)

TX (40)

AR (41)

MO (42)

LA (46)

TN (47)

GA (48)

AL (49)

MS (50)
couldn't read the article without signing in, so ... just wondering if they mentioned this as part of the reason for the lower percentages in some of those states.

couldn't read the article without signing in, so ... just wondering if they mentioned this as part of the reason for the lower percentages in some of those states.
Yes, SEC states have a bad combination of high MAGA populations and high black populations.  Both groups have some level of vaccine hesitancy.

A closer look at Mississippi’s demographics explains why hesitancy may be especially pronounced.The state reliably votes Republican, a group that remains highly skeptical of the coronavirus vaccine. Nearly half of all Republican men and 40 percent of Republicans over all have said they do not plan to get vaccinated, according to severalrecent surveys. Those figures have barely budged in the months since vaccines first became available. By contrast, just 4 percent of Democrats have said they will not get the vaccine.

Another factor in the state’s low vaccination rate may be Mississippi’s large Black community, which comprises 38 percent of the state’s population but accounts for 31 percent of the doses administered, according to state data. Vaccine hesitancy remains somewhat high among African-Americans, though the doubts and distrust — tied largely to past government malfeasance like the notorious Tuskegee syphilis experiments — have markedly declined in recent months.

Thousands of available appointments in Mississippi

SEC is good at football, bad at getting vaccinated.

ETA: SEC states and where they rank out of the 50 states in percentage of population that’s had at least one shot -

FL (35)

TX (40)

AR (41)

MO (42)

LA (46)

TN (47)

GA (48)

AL (49)

MS (50)
I'm starting to see this problem in North Carolina. Two or three weeks ago, people were scrambling to find appointments, and all of a sudden, they seem to be everywhere (there are open slots TODAY). We just opened up to everyone this week, and I see open appointments available in several places, and our city is one of the more liberal in North Carolina. I knew that we would have a demand problem at some point, but didn't think it would be in early April. I know some other states are still having high demand, but the switch in those states will happen quickly. 

I am somewhat taken back at how little people have researched on their own when it comes to this vaccine.  That's not necessarily the case here in the FFA...many good discussions and attempts to understand, but wow, IRL, the PSF etc just so much bad information.

I know originally, I was one of the "hold on...that's way too fast...no way that's safe" guys.  But then I decided to look at research, ask my wife questions, her colleagues questions and I learned a bunch, mainly around the differences between the mRNA approach and our standard approach, the time differences in approach etc.  We really are witnessing a huge revolution in the way we approach vaccines moving forward.  Been very interesting to watch the science side of this.

2nd Pfizer shot in my arm - 20 minutes later and my arm already feels like I have a tight sleeve on it.   :oldunsure:
Woke up with a slight headache and nausea - arm was killing me.  Walked downstairs and felt light headed - drank some water, had a cup of coffee and just been sitting watching movies.  Already feeling a little better.  If that’s the worst of it then I’ll be happy.

Leaving for Pfizer shot #2 in about an hour.

Felt a little blah the night of the first dose.  Minimal arm soreness the next day.  Hoping this round isn’t any worse.

Good to hear.  Getting my 2nd of Moderna tomorrow morning.  First shot had noticeable soreness but not too bad.  A repeat of that would be great after hearing some horror stories. 
Now, after a night's sleep, some mild soreness has crept in to the vaccination shoulder -- but much less than from the first shot. No other side effects as of yet, 18.5 hours out from Shot #2.

No you're not sick. Your immune system is working which is always the case when you have a fever. Usually the immune system is working against an illness. But in the case of the vaccine, the immune system is being tricked to react. 
Right.  The initial kind of non-specific immune response creates inflammation, which is why you feel sick.  Once that response has run its course and your body is producing specific antibodies and T-Cells, the inflammation and related symptoms subside.  That's why you have these symptoms for a few days, but then they go away, but your body is still making antibodies for two more weeks.  

So, do we think that the UK Variant really is this much more transmissible via children, or is the uptick in child infections more related to schools being fully opened now across much of the country? 

So, do we think that the UK Variant really is this much more transmissible via children, or is the uptick in child infections more related to schools being fully opened now across much of the country? 
Most likely both
Plus a general, hard-to-pin-down issue of a lot of people just being "over COVID" and thus taking somewhat less care, especially with familiar people in private spaces.

Kind of a "1000 cuts" thing. For instance, here in the N.O. area, nursing homes and elderly care centers have resumed normal visitation for a few weeks now. No, that's not THE factor, but a hundred little things like that can add up in any one locale.

Had a cool thing happen yesterday while getting my 2nd Pfizer/BioNtech dose at Walgreens. The store was empty and and I was first in line. I had my 17 year old with me out in the car. Her age group opens next week and I knew that she was only approved for the Pfizer vax and it would probably be difficult to get an appointment for her right away, so I asked if they had any extra today and if they'd be willing to give my daughter one. To my surprise the pharmacist said yes. They filled out her vax card and said to just come back in the 3 weeks and they'll set her up with her second. They were beyond cool about it.

I'm not sure how "legal" it was, but I thought they were doing what every provider should be doing; getting available shots into willing arms. I figured the worst case they say no, but it paid to ask.
I was sort of on the fence with my own 17 Y.O., not really a skeptic but more so rationally balancing puts/gives of emergency use approval and age group risks. Based on more recent reports of increased infections to the youth population, we're now planning to get him his 1st pfizer next Friday. His own peace of mind is a huge factor; he's been asking when he is able to get a shot ever since me/wife got our 1st. He's anxious by nature and our 'batten the hatches' approach throughout has no doubt had an effect.

Wife and I got Moderna shot one yesterday. My 16 year old son will get his first Pfizer in May (after high school baseball season ends but before summer showcase season starts).

Very happy.
My 18 year old nephew, who plays baseball, gets his second shot tomorrow (he is asthmatic). My 16 year old nephew gets his second shot next week (essential bag boy). It is open to all people 16 and over right now, but both of them qualified to get it three weeks prior. 

I was sort of on the fence with my own 17 Y.O., not really a skeptic but more so rationally balancing puts/gives of emergency use approval and age group risks. Based on more recent reports of increased infections to the youth population, we're now planning to get him his 1st pfizer next Friday. His own peace of mind is a huge factor; he's been asking when he is able to get a shot ever since me/wife got our 1st. He's anxious by nature and our 'batten the hatches' approach throughout has no doubt had an effect.
Sounds similar. My daughter has anxiety as well. Therapy, meds, the whole 9 yards. She's a bit over the top and wears a mask even when we drive around. Tell her that's not really necessary and she says she's afraid of infecting us. I don't fight her on it. Hoping getting her vaxxed will ease some of that mental burden.

I'm not sure if it's just because I notice it more because she deals with it, but it seems like there is a lot of kids in her generation that suffer from anxiety and other mental issues. Maybe it had the same prevalence when we were growing up but it wasn't diagnosed or treated as much? Needless to say this pandemic completely exacerbated everybody's mental situation, especially people with existing disorders. This @#$% can't end soon enough.

Pfizer 2:  Electric Boogaloo ✅ .  A few buddies of mine had symptoms after the second one so I’m expecting this weekend to be not that fun.

But I am going to a sporting event in person on Wednesday, first real night out in over a year.  Can’t wait

####### finally.  Shot #1 tomorrow at a mass drive up place. Hook me up with that 5G Pfizer!

Golfing Saturday morning so mind over matter on this arm soreness I'm reading about.
First shot down.

Quite the operation, never left the car. I’m a big #### about needles so didn’t want to look, didn’t even feel it so turned and to look and almost got stuck in the temple by the needle. I said holster that thing Cowboy!!

Was very smooth and they are prolly doing about 6 people a minute the way they had this set up.

No appointment to get the return shot but they said they would email me which I’m a bit skeptical of.

No pain to speak of! Nice work Mr. Pfzier.

Sounds similar. My daughter has anxiety as well. Therapy, meds, the whole 9 yards. She's a bit over the top and wears a mask even when we drive around. Tell her that's not really necessary and she says she's afraid of infecting us. I don't fight her on it. Hoping getting her vaxxed will ease some of that mental burden.

I'm not sure if it's just because I notice it more because she deals with it, but it seems like there is a lot of kids in her generation that suffer from anxiety and other mental issues. Maybe it had the same prevalence when we were growing up but it wasn't diagnosed or treated as much? Needless to say this pandemic completely exacerbated everybody's mental situation, especially people with existing disorders. This @#$% can't end soon enough.
Tangent: Really appreciate your post. I honestly don't know his degree of anxiety, as he's more open with the Mrs. He has a general checkup next week, and the admin called today and asked if there was anything we were concerned about, and I raised this (good timing). I'm going to tell him I mentioned to the Dr. office, and I want him to be honest and tackle this head on. Whether this is a generational phenomenon or something that has existed behind a curtain forever, it's not something to leave unspoken when there are possible remedies/alleviators.

/tangent

I mentioned in another thread.  My daughter had/has anxiety luckily no medicine but did therapy.   I 100% have anxiety based on how she explained things. I just thought she was being a teen.  I still have it and it explains A LOT looking back at things in my life. I didn't know I had it

I mentioned in another thread.  My daughter had/has anxiety luckily no medicine but did therapy.   I 100% have anxiety based on how she explained things. I just thought she was being a teen.  I still have it and it explains A LOT looking back at things in my life
Me too. I think we are all mostly from the no helmets, hop in the back of the station wagon with no seatbelts, don't be a wussy rub some dirt on it generation, but yeah, if I'm being honest, I'm sure I had and still have some unresolved mental issues that unfortunately I've passed on to my kids. I'm just glad she realized it and reached out for help. Not sure where it's headed for her. It's kind of scary as a parent who knows by experience that growing up is a tough process, and it's probably even tougher for her. Sucks.

gianmarco said:
Just heard about this while we were at the clinical trials place with my son getting his 1st dose.  They were apparently getting calls all morning asking if they can come in for shots for their younger kids.

My two youngest (5 and 8 ) are confirmed for trials that should start at the end of next month or beginning of June.  
They going to do it double blind again?

Doug B said:
Now, after a night's sleep, some mild soreness has crept in to the vaccination shoulder -- but much less than from the first shot. No other side effects as of yet, 18.5 hours out from Shot #2.
I spiked the football on the 5-yard line :kicksrock:

Finally, at around hour 22 ... the body aches started. Not horrendous but annoying and tiring me out. Still got the aches now 8 hours later. Looks like I’ll have to sleep them off.

I spiked the football on the 5-yard line :kicksrock:

Finally, at around hour 22 ... the body aches started. Not horrendous but annoying and tiring me out. Still got the aches now 8 hours later. Looks like I’ll have to sleep them off.
I’m a little over 30 now and have some aches and my neck is stiff and sore.  I’ve been beat all day - just no energy at all.  And still a mild headache.  Honestly, I don’t feel horrible but don’t feel good at all - but I would gladly take this for another day or two to be fully vaccinated.

Users who are viewing this thread