What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (3 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
cheeseypoof said:
Leaving for Pfizer shot #2 in about an hour.

Felt a little blah the night of the first dose.  Minimal arm soreness the next day.  Hoping this round isn’t any worse.
12 hours post Pfizer shot 2.  No significant effects.  Minimal soreness  at the injection site.  I’m a little tired but I attribute that more to a rough nights sleep Thursday.  Definitely feel better now than at the same post shot 1.  Expect arm soreness tomorrow but shouldn’t be too bad.

Seeing a number of states pause the JnJ vaccine due to side effects. Mostly nausea, dizziness and a couple people fainted. Isn't that kind of known side effects? None of them seemed life threatening...

Seeing a number of states pause the JnJ vaccine due to side effects. Mostly nausea, dizziness and a couple people fainted. Isn't that kind of known side effects? None of them seemed life threatening...
Sounds like an appetizer compared to most of the side effects of drugs in the commercials on tv. Amuse boucher, even.

About 30 hours post Pfizer 2 shot.  I woke up this morning with a mild fever and a little achy and tired, but not too bad overall.  

Then right around the 24 hour mark post-shot, the symptoms really ramped up for a few hours, and my fever spiked to around 103 for a bit.  Between cold compresses, Tylenol and an afternoon nap, the fever broke a little bit and is back down to 99-100.  Hopefully I’m past the worst of it but we’ll see.  Either way, I keep telling myself this is the good kind of sick.

I really don’t get this at all. These are all known minor side effects. Pausing the clinics for this is not only stupid but could be extremely harmful to public health. J&J is the shot of choice for those who are hesitant about the shot, hate needles and are afraid of needles because it’s only one shot. These pauses might be the final straw that stops them from getting any vaccine.

Remember the big concern about allergic reactions when the vaccines first came out? It hasn’t even been a minor issue.

Side effects in general are getting overblown. The people who get them seem to be the loudest about it. I try to get as much feedback as I can and my rough estimation is 1/4 to 1/3 of people get symptoms beyond sore arm and low grade fever with either dose.

I really don’t get this at all. These are all known minor side effects. Pausing the clinics for this is not only stupid but could be extremely harmful to public health. J&J is the shot of choice for those who are hesitant about the shot, hate needles and are afraid of needles because it’s only one shot. These pauses might be the final straw that stops them from getting any vaccine.

Remember the big concern about allergic reactions when the vaccines first came out? It hasn’t even been a minor issue.

Side effects in general are getting overblown. The people who get them seem to be the loudest about it. I try to get as much feedback as I can and my rough estimation is 1/4 to 1/3 of people get symptoms beyond sore arm and low grade fever with either dose.
Whoever hit the pause button on this should be fired today.  100% serious.  We have enough of a problem with vaccine hesitancy as it is without policymakers adding to it.

I also agree with you on the side effects.  They're real and they aren't a lot of fun, but you're a little under the weather for 12-24 hours.  That's it.  For a shot that lets you rejoin society, that should be presented as a no-brainer tradeoff. 

Whoever hit the pause button on this should be fired today.  100% serious.  We have enough of a problem with vaccine hesitancy as it is without policymakers adding to it.

I also agree with you on the side effects.  They're real and they aren't a lot of fun, but you're a little under the weather for 12-24 hours.  That's it.  For a shot that lets you rejoin society, that should be presented as a no-brainer tradeoff. 
I would gladly have taken side effects 10x longer if that is what is took to get a vaccine this effective. 

I think they should be doing large marketing campaigns to fight the vaccine hesitancy. Show all the groups that your vaccine helps and have them thanking everyone for getting vaccinated. Health care workers, nursing home residents, small business owners, frontline worker, teachers, etc. Remove the individual decision and try to get them to identify others that their shot will help.  

On my way into work today an employee asked me some questions about the vaccine and wasn’t sure about getting the shot, so I asked her if anyone in her family in her family had gotten their shot and she said that her husband did so that he could visit his at risk mother. That’s the thought process you have to have. Then I offered to work with her schedule and try and get her the vaccine she prefers. I’ve found most of those conversations lead to a shot in the arm and vaccine shaming does little more than pushing them back into a corner.

My sister is in a business where she is around people all the time, in a southern town where almost nobody is masking up, she definitely will not quarantine in advance and we’ll be sharing a house with her for a week. I understand my son is at less of a risk than I certainly would be, but I’d rather almost completely eliminate that risk than have it exist at all. 
My sister texted me today asking what vaccine I had, and then told me she made an appointment for Friday to get her Phizer. :heart:  Told me she prayed for a month, guess I’m glad the big man told her to not be an idiot. 

What are you newly fully vaccinated folks doing now that you weren't a month ago?  
We had our two oldest grandkids (13 and 11) over for lunch Saturday. We hadn't seen them since Christmas 2019. Spent about two hours just chatting, then on to a no-kidding, real life movie theater (Godzilla vs Kong). My wife and I have been very stringent about hunkering down, and this is the first time we have done pretty much anything other than the grocery store since this all started. I was amazed at how good I felt after the day was over. I didn't realize how much anxiety I really had pent up in me from the whole COVD ordeal. We have reservations for a nice room and dinner at our favorite restaurant on the 21st for my wife's birthday. very much looking forward to a well cooked, fresh steak.

Reuters is usually pretty responsible, but here the headline is misleading -- it's stated WAY too absolutely. Here's the very first paragraph of the article:

The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa may evade the protection provided by Pfizer/BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data study in Israel found, though its prevalence in the country is very low and the research has not been peer reviewed.
Later in the article:

The researchers cautioned, though, that the study only had a small sample size of people infected with the South African variant because of its rarity in Israel.

They also said the research was not intended to deduce overall vaccine effectiveness against any variant, since it only looked at people who had already tested positive for COVID-19, not at overall infection rates.
And, in addition to that ... nothing was mentioned about severity of cases or hospitalizations. One of the vaccines' biggest jobs is to prevent serious illness in people who do get infected. Did that happen here? They don't broach the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the J&J on Thursday... Friday night felt a little warm, but not enough to get off my :censored:  to take my temp, otherwise zero side effects..

Now if we could just get Canada to allow those of us vaccinated into the country I'd appreciate it.. Been since September 2019 since I got my Canada fix.

Now that my wife and I have received our first Pfizer, I'm looking to get my 16-year old injected also. We want to do some travelling this summer (hopefully Europe towards the end) so I want to make sure we are juiced up and ready to go. 

Reuters is usually pretty responsible, but here the headline is misleading -- it's stated WAY too absolutely. Here's the very first paragraph of the article:

Later in the article:

And, in addition to that ... nothing was mentioned about severity of cases or hospitalizations. One of the vaccines' biggest jobs is to prevent serious illness in people who do get infected. Did that happen here? They don't broach the subject.
Yeah, one of the study’s coauthors posted a twitter thread discussing their findings, and they’re way less alarming than the headline would suggest: https://twitter.com/sternlab/status/1380922920734711811?s=21

“To summarize: we see evidence for reduced vaccine effectiveness against the British variant, but after two doses, extremely high effectiveness kicks in. We see evidence for reduced vaccine effectiveness against the S.A. variant, but it does not spread in Israel.

We think that this reduced effectiveness occurs only in a short window of time (no B.1.351 cases 14+ days post 2nd dose), and that the S.A. variant does not spread efficiently. Thus, even more of a reason to get vaccinated and drive down cases to zero!”

Moderna #2 just completed. Sitting in the facility waiting 15mins before heading home.

No 2nd dose whammies! :Fingerscrossed:
I've just grown an extra toe on each foot. but other than that, feeling great!
Was headachy and lethargic today. Ending up napping for an hour or so in the afternoon- I never nap. Took some tylenol and feeling generally better. Well see tomorrow. 

Anybody getting the vaccine can still get covid. The point is you aren’t going to die from covid with the vaccine.

Covid is bad because people die from it. 
This.

We've spent a year and change making fun of "it's just the flu."  But the vaccines really do relegate covid to something significantly less worrisome than the seasonal flu, and it's only even that bad if you're statistically unlucky enough to catch it after vaccination.  That's no big deal and not anything to sit around worrying about.

I don't know if we really have enough data to say this definitively, but my impression is that if you're fully vaccinated, you should probably be more worried about influenza than covid.  We're still in the early stages of the post-vaccine era, but it's nice to be able to say that at least tentatively.

Now that my wife and I have received our first Pfizer, I'm looking to get my 16-year old injected also. We want to do some travelling this summer (hopefully Europe towards the end) so I want to make sure we are juiced up and ready to go. 
My wife still hopes to make it to Spain this September. Much to consider of course. Will we need boosters by then (6 months post-vaccine)? Will things in Spain be open? What travel restrictions may be in place? Etc. and so on. Very hard to make plans for something that's not really that far out.

My wife still hopes to make it to Spain this September. Much to consider of course. Will we need boosters by then (6 months post-vaccine)? Will things in Spain be open? What travel restrictions may be in place? Etc. and so on. Very hard to make plans for something that's not really that far out.
We're heading to Greece in October, and I have some of the same concerns.  Back when we booked our flight, Europe was handling the pandemic pretty well and I was mainly just focused on counting down until my turn for vaccination came around.  It honestly never occurred to me that the EU would screw up this part.  I figure by fall they'll be okay, but we'll make the best of it regardless.

Virginia must be opening up.  Just registered in Alexandria at the Victory Center for Monday at 1:45 PM. Healthy 48-year-old, 19 BMI and no known comorbidities...👍
I'm in Alexandria, VA too. Phase 2 (18-64 with no comorbidities and not employed in one of the prioritized industries/sectors). I got an e-mail this morning to schedule my appointment, and going in tomorrow morning.  

I posted in the wrong thread 

I "hate" my daughter is technically not eligible. She will be 16 in 5 months. I get that they only tested those ages and are awaiting the approval for younger. But in reality there's no difference between say May and Septembe

IvanKaramazov said:
We're heading to Greece in October, and I have some of the same concerns.  Back when we booked our flight, Europe was handling the pandemic pretty well and I was mainly just focused on counting down until my turn for vaccination came around.  It honestly never occurred to me that the EU would screw up this part.  I figure by fall they'll be okay, but we'll make the best of it regardless.
Looking to do Greece in August. I have about a 60% confidence that it's actually going to happen right now (and it's going down, not up, recently).

I posted in the wrong thread 

I "hate" my daughter is technically not eligible. She will be 16 in 5 months. I get that they only tested those ages and are awaiting the approval for younger. But in reality there's no difference between say May and Septembe
I would vaccinate my 12 year-olds right now if the government would let me.   I can't imagine how annoyed I would be if they were going to be 16 (and eligible) in a mere 5 months.

Hopefully the FDA fast tracks vaccines for kids 12-15 soon and it all becomes a moot point for your daughter.

Just got Pfizer #2 and doing my waiting for 15 minutes.

#1 was a little rough day after with soreness, fatigue and light headedness  Lady said those who had COVID (I did), feel it worse with the first shot.  Hoping that's the case.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:13 PM, El Floppo said:
Moderna #2 just completed. Sitting in the facility waiting 15mins before heading home.

No 2nd dose whammies! :Fingerscrossed:
I've just grown an extra toe on each foot. but other than that, feeling great!
Expand  
Was headachy and lethargic today. Ending up napping for an hour or so in the afternoon- I never nap. Took some tylenol and feeling generally better. Well see tomorrow. 
Second day after the second shot, basically all systems go. A little tired this afternoon, but that's almost standard.

Looking to do Greece in August. I have about a 60% confidence that it's actually going to happen right now (and it's going down, not up, recently).
Even our Alaska trip was cancelled as a replacement for a Switzerland train trip so I have zero confidence in any international travel until at least 2022.

So get a load of this garbage...

One of the main reasons I wanted to get vaccinated was to be free to travel and not have to jump through hoops to do things.

I referee small college football and have an NAIA playoff game this Saturday.  Just got an email saying "You need to have a completed COVID-19 PCR test done within 72 prior to the travel date." I replied, "I should just need to show proof of vaccination, right?" The answer, "Nope, still need to get tested." :mellow:   W. T. Effff!?!?!?

So get a load of this garbage...

One of the main reasons I wanted to get vaccinated was to be free to travel and not have to jump through hoops to do things.

I referee small college football and have an NAIA playoff game this Saturday.  Just got an email saying "You need to have a completed COVID-19 PCR test done within 72 prior to the travel date." I replied, "I should just need to show proof of vaccination, right?" The answer, "Nope, still need to get tested." :mellow:   W. T. Effff!?!?!?
Clock is ticking.

This is anecdotal.  My son told me a friend of his, fully Covid vaxxed in PA, was not going to be admitted to MSG for a Rangers game since he wasn’t vaccinated in NY.  They weren’t going to accept his OA vaccination card.  Lucky he had also had a negative test result within the required time frame so he got in.

If true, that’s crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread