What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (5 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I'm in Alexandria, VA too. Phase 2 (18-64 with no comorbidities and not employed in one of the prioritized industries/sectors). I got an e-mail this morning to schedule my appointment, and going in tomorrow morning.  
Line was wrapped around the building, but it was continually moving.  Took about 10/15 minutes from when I got in line to when I was sitting for the Pfizer vaccine.  As I was on my way to the waiting area I received the invitation to schedule the second dose.  Very efficient...👍

So get a load of this garbage...

One of the main reasons I wanted to get vaccinated was to be free to travel and not have to jump through hoops to do things.

I referee small college football and have an NAIA playoff game this Saturday.  Just got an email saying "You need to have a completed COVID-19 PCR test done within 72 prior to the travel date." I replied, "I should just need to show proof of vaccination, right?" The answer, "Nope, still need to get tested." :mellow:   W. T. Effff!?!?!?
it's incredibly easy to get this done.  i just did it for travel.  maybe 50 seconds, making the appointment.  maybe 5 minutes at the walgreens drive through, for the test.  26 hours later, my results were in my email box.

as an aside, here in CA, i was issued a QR code, as proof that I am now vaccinated.  it also included a "digital vaccine passport".  which has my name and dob.  the dates of my 2 shots.  as well as the QR code and a unique ID # for my vaccination.

give it some time.

I posted in the wrong thread 

I "hate" my daughter is technically not eligible. She will be 16 in 5 months. I get that they only tested those ages and are awaiting the approval for younger. But in reality there's no difference between say May and September
Unfortunately, the thing with deadlines is there is always going to be someone just on the wrong side of it.

it's incredibly easy to get this done.  i just did it for travel.  maybe 50 seconds, making the appointment.  maybe 5 minutes at the walgreens drive through, for the test.  26 hours later, my results were in my email box.

as an aside, here in CA, i was issued a QR code, as proof that I am now vaccinated.  it also included a "digital vaccine passport".  which has my name and dob.  the dates of my 2 shots.  as well as the QR code and a unique ID # for my vaccination.

give it some time.
SWEET! I'm in CA now and will probably be for my 2nd dose. Nice to have a digital passport instead of worrying about a card  :thumbup:

give it some time.
When I went to Alaska recently there was only one site within 50 miles of me doing a rapid test that the location I was travelling to would accept.   It cost $170 each for 4 people so we could avoid a quarantine when we arrived.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get vaccinated was to be free to travel and not have to jump through hoops to do things.

I referee small college football and have an NAIA playoff game this Saturday.  Just got an email saying "You need to have a completed COVID-19 PCR test done within 72 prior to the travel date." I replied, "I should just need to show proof of vaccination, right?" The answer, "Nope, still need to get tested." :mellow:   W. T. Effff!?!?!?
That's nothing. I completed my vaccine series months ago, but was required to get additional testS after return from traveling off-island.

As it stands:

CDC - No test or quarantine unless symptoms compatible with covid, even if known exposure.

State of HI - 48-72 pre-flight test. Or get exemption to return to work only (healthcare), with 3 tests within 10 days to have quarantine completely lifted.

Place of employment - Pre-flight testing or not, two more tests within one week of return.

It would be really nice if everyone was on the same page, but I'd kill to only need one test to travel at this point.

When I went to Alaska recently there was only one site within 50 miles of me doing a rapid test that the location I was travelling to would accept.   It cost $170 each for 4 people so we could avoid a quarantine when we arrived.
pcr?  or rapid antigen test?

my kid is going to HI tomorrow.  HI has a list of approved test centers.  test must be a pcr.  almost all of approved tests were $125 and up.  including the CVS option.  walgreens was free.  we went to CVS and did the free version there as well, as a back up.  after getting the walgreens test results uploaded to the HI.gov website, i checked to see if the free cvs version would have worked as well.  it would have.

sorry your alaska testing was a PITA*

rapid testing near me is incredibly easy to get as well.  i've been tested 10+ times over the last year

pcr?  or rapid antigen test?

my kid is going to HI tomorrow.  HI has a list of approved test centers.  test must be a pcr.  almost all of approved tests were $125 and up.  including the CVS option.  walgreens was free.  we went to CVS and did the free version there as well, as a back up.  after getting the walgreens test results uploaded to the HI.gov website, i checked to see if the free cvs version would have worked as well.  it would have.

sorry your alaska testing was a PITA*

rapid testing near me is incredibly easy to get as well.  i've been tested 10+ times over the last year
PCR.  Washington is a super weird state.  We're completely inconsistent in our approaches from week to week and make odd decisions about what to allow and what not to allow.  The only place near me to get a rapid test is a Walgreens about 10 miles from here, but when I was flying they had temporarily stopped doing the tests.   I think we can get them at Costco now.  

PCR.  Washington is a super weird state.  We're completely inconsistent in our approaches from week to week and make odd decisions about what to allow and what not to allow.  The only place near me to get a rapid test is a Walgreens about 10 miles from here, but when I was flying they had temporarily stopped doing the tests.   I think we can get them at Costco now.  
Never a truer word spoken.

CA, near me at least, has been amazing throughout.  

give it some time.
While this may be true where you live, Walgreens/CVS and other rapid testing centers aren’t everywhere. I know this after traveling to Sun Valley ID.

I had planned to get tested during a layover at LAX, but their rapid testing services are limited to certain terminals. Luckily, I had an exemption related to my profession, but had that not been the case, I’d be obligated to quarantine 10 days upon return to Honolulu.

While this may be true where you live, Walgreens/CVS and other rapid testing centers aren’t everywhere. I know this after traveling to Sun Valley ID.

I had planned to get tested during a layover at LAX, but their rapid testing services are limited to certain terminals. Luckily, I had an exemption related to my profession, but had that not been the case, I’d be obligated to quarantine 10 days upon return to Honolulu.
my maui in-laws used vault, when they were in tahoe.  saliva test on zoom. overnighted to them.  and then over night shipping to the lab.  whole thing took about 48 hours.  $120 i think

my maui in-laws used vault, when they were in tahoe.  saliva test on zoom. overnighted to them.  and then over night shipping to the lab.  whole thing took about 48 hours.  $120 i think
There are a couple of self administered tests, but those require a little more planning than you initially suggested - I'm not saying it’s impossible, but it’s not a quick in-and-out appointment and checking email for results.

Anyway, I suspect the guidelines will be revised in the near future.

Bureaucracies are slow to change.  The college (or NAIA maybe) put a rule in place months ago that everybody needs to test.  At this point, they probably know that rule is a little outdated, but they figure the semester/season is almost over and they would rather just roll with it than sit down and devise a new policy.  That's not unreasonable.  I would do the same thing.

Stuff like what you described is going to go away soon, probably pretty suddenly, but any policy linked a school (either K-12 or college) is going to be tied more to the academic calendar than to vaccination rates at this point.

Well the FDA just gave the anti-vaxxers all the ammunition they’ll ever need. God they’re the worst. 

*not saying they should sweep it under the rug but put out a warning and keep assessing it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
😡My wife has been super reluctant to get the vaccine due to concerns over having an autoimmune disease. The mRNA vaccines really scared her off with all the questions they ask about autoimmune issues. She reluctantly agreed yo do the JnJ. I worked super hard to actually find her a JnJ shot this Friday. Most places don't tell you what they are issuing around here. Now this. I'm pretty sure this will scare her off now.

😡My wife has been super reluctant to get the vaccine due to concerns over having an autoimmune disease. The mRNA vaccines really scared her off with all the questions they ask about autoimmune issues. She reluctantly agreed yo do the JnJ. I worked super hard to actually find her a JnJ shot this Friday. Most places don't tell you what they are issuing around here. Now this. I'm pretty sure this will scare her off now.
It’s extremely frustrating. There are millions of people likely in the same scenario. Lot of those people will never get it now. ####!

Several surgeon buddies are having their wives/kids wait for J&J.  Moderna/Phizer are a new tech/method and the longterm side effects are not known.  J&J made the same way all other vaccines have been made forever so safer to assume there.
J&J is now halted at federal sites out of an “abundance of caution”. Similar rare blood-clotting issue to the Astra-Zeneca vaccine in Europe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

EDIT: I see the thread has already reported on this. 

One thing that’s being done in some European countries is to reserve the AZ vaccine for those over 60, who are lower risk for this specific clotting. Details in link.

I went to the site. Appointment was cancelled, but they told me to reschedule for tomorrow and I will get Moderna then. I'm okay with that.
I scheduled  an appointment last week for J&J at Potomac Yard on Thursday. I searched Alexandria Dept of Health website and Twitter for updates earlier this morning and finally found one a little over an hour ago. They will be contacting those scheduled for new appointments or a different dose based on availability.  Yeah, after Friday's weekly email letting me know that I was preregistered for vaccination and should be receiving my appointment invitation within the next week.

Wishing you success tomorrow.

Well the FDA just gave the anti-vaxxers all the ammunition they’ll ever need. God they’re the worst. 

*not saying they should sweep it under the rug but put out a warning and keep assessing it. 
6 cases out of 6.8 million doses.  That is less prevalent than blood clots caused by the birth-control pill (I think).

My wife has auto-immune issues and got Moderna.  She also was hesitant, but everything has been great.  She had the same exact 24 hour side-effects that I did and nothing else.  

Posted this in the "Virus Thread".. but might as well add it here also since I got the J&J last Thursday( Had only a slight fever for a day as a side effect):

My wife saw "FDA to pause J&J due to Blood clots" all over Facebook and brought it to my attention as I got the shot last Thursday.. So I went and actually read the articles ( I know shock that someone would read ) and saw.. "Paused due to 6 women having blood clots Possibly related to the the J&J shot".. 

She is still concerned and I can bet you for the next week I'll get asked at least daily, if not more .. "Any headaches, belly issues, leg pains??" 
Will get to a point where I'll finally break down and say "Only from you asking me every bleeping day!"  

My wife has auto-immune issues and got Moderna.  She also was hesitant, but everything has been great.  She had the same exact 24 hour side-effects that I did and nothing else.  
I've tried to show her data that supports it being safe for her. I have not had luck getting her convinced yet.  :kicksrock:

That’s like 0.000088 percent. Seems ridiculous to pause the whole thing.
Thats why I agree with someone who posted in the other thread that they must believe there are more cases less severe slipping through detection. I can't believe they would stop this and basically give all the antivaxers the ammo they need unless they really felt they had to. Remeber, astrazeneca is the same technology. Lots of concerns there. Where there is smoke, sometimes there is fire.

I wonder if this is similar to how some people develop blood clots from covid? Their bodies immune sysyem is responding in a similar manner as if they had covid. Wonder if these people would have been likely to develop blood clotting from the virus as well? 

Thats why I agree with someone who posted in the other thread that they must believe there are more cases less severe slipping through detection. I can't believe they would stop this and basically give all the antivaxers the ammo they need unless they really felt they had to. Remeber, astrazeneca is the same technology. Lots of concerns there. Where there is smoke, sometimes there is fire.

I wonder if this is similar to how some people develop blood clots from covid? Their bodies immune sysyem is responding in a similar manner as if they had covid. Wonder if these people would have been likely to develop blood clotting from the virus as well? 
Sister-in-laws neighbor had a blood clot about 2 weeks after he had the J&J shot.  She just found out today.  No other details. 

2nd dose of Pfizer knocked me pretty flat starting at just about 24 hours after getting it at noon on Monday. Basically felt like I had a bad hangover except with no headache. Got into bed around 5, tossed and turned for a few hours, but then slept through the night. Woke up this morning drenched in sweat but feel great now. 

top dog said:
My wife was similar. Fortunately she got the J&J shot a few days ago, otherwise I'm not sure she would anymore. Unfortunately now she is really nervous. Ugh. 

Got an email from State of MN saying I was randomly selected for Pfizer shot. Just scheduled both doses online. It was super easy. Though technically everybody over 16 is eligible here, I didn't expect to actually be able to get the shot this quickly. Score!

DA RAIDERS said:
24 hours later, 2nd dose of pfizer.  the only side effect, so far, is a sore arm.  slightly more sore, than shot #1

wife gets her 2nd in an hour.  hoping for a similar result.
48 hours for me. 24 for the wife. Sore arms, that’s it so far. Hoping the wife cruises through the next 24 hours with no other symptoms. 

Wife got Moderna #2 this morning, I get my second in a few hours.  Hopefully one of us makes it through with no side effects other than a sore arm.

Users who are viewing this thread