What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
At some point ... American society is going to end up making a mostly-collective and mostly non-scientific decision to just "dive in" and stop worrying about being a "breakthrough case" or being a "long hauler". It won't be all Americans arriving at this headspace all at once, of course. And the decisions individuals make will be based more on intuition and emotion (for what those are worth) much, much more than data.

One thing that concerns me as a confounding factor for the U.S. getting past the pandemic socially/mentally -- we're probably years away from attaining objectively low COVID case numbers. Numbers that pockets of society quit fearing. Would the U.S. getting consistently below 1,000 cases/day be enough, or would we still be seeing articles talking about "a thousand cases a day!" or "800 more cases nationwide yesterday!"
The number Fauci had previously touted (and for some reason refused to commit to in front of Congress the other day, when Jim Jordan was being mean) was getting under 10,000/day.

Would the U.S. getting consistently below 1,000 cases/day be enough, or would we still be seeing articles talking about "a thousand cases a day!" or "800 more cases nationwide yesterday!"
One thing I should have noted to lend context is that if the U.S. does ever get down to a simmering average of ~1,000 cases a day, that would represent a 95-98% reduction in where the U.S. is now (fluctuating between ~50,000 to ~80,000 per day.

That's something else: What has to happen before your big-box retailers and your small mom-&-pop businesses decide to dispense with masking, both for their employees and their customers? Does it all come down to the CDC making a call, at least for the big players like Wal-Mart, Costco, and Target? Is it a local decision, to where a Wal-Mart in Georgia might not require a mask in June 2021 while another Wal-Mart in Michigan may continue to require them well into 2022?
First they have to wait for the state to eliminate the mask mandate then I think there will be a lag between lifting of the mask mandates. Maybe a few months? I dunno. I find wearing the mask more annoying then ever now that Im fully vaccinated but Im not gonna be a Karen all of a sudden. Ill just grit my teeth and bear it.

The number Fauci had previously touted (and for some reason refused to commit to in front of Congress the other day, when Jim Jordan was being mean) was getting under 10,000/day.
Dang. The U.S. hasn't been below 10,000 case in one day since 3/22/2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
First they have to wait for the state to eliminate the mask mandate then I think there will be a lag between lifting of the mask mandates.
I had thought most big retailers maintained masking protocols independently of whether or not the local state or city had a masking mandate. That was certainly true in the SE Louisiana area.

I had thought most big retailers maintained masking protocols independently of whether or not the local state or city had a masking mandate. That was certainly true in the SE Louisiana area.
Isnt that what I said?
I took this part to be the thrust of your post: "First they have to wait for the state to eliminate the mask mandate ..." Then you mentioned a lag before lifting store-level masking protocols.

What I mean by "independently" is that, at least locally, store-level masking protocols were commonplace for months before the masking mandates (or masking law, in the case of New Orleans) came online in July 2020. That leads me to believe that -- again, at least around here -- store-level masking protocols won't necessarily be sensitive to the state of state/local masking mandates.

I took this part to be the thrust of your post: "First they have to wait for the state to eliminate the mask mandate ..." Then you mentioned a lag before lifting store-level masking protocols.

What I mean by "independently" is that, at least locally, store-level masking protocols were commonplace for months before the masking mandates (or masking law, in the case of New Orleans) came online in July 2020. That leads me to believe that -- again, at least around here -- store-level masking protocols won't necessarily be sensitive to the state of state/local masking mandates.
But Im saying a store cant lift its own personal mask mandate without the state lifting theirs first.

But Im saying a store cant lift its own personal mask mandate without the state lifting theirs first.
Makes sense depending on what the mandates entail. Do they have the force of law, or are they essentially strong suggestions? Seems to vary place to place.

But realistically ... yeah, big retailers will want to abide by state/local mandates. Around here, big retailers & groceries were well ahead of the masking curve.

Had our first post-COVID vaccine dining experience last night. Have to say, I was a bit surprised. Our Governor opened everything 100% (way to early) so I was expecting, I dunno, "old" San Antonio to some degree. But the drive downtown, it was a total ghost town, zero traffic. The bar at the restaurant (first floor), maybe two couples? The restaurant itself, maybe 1/2 full. None of this disappoints me mind you. I was just caught very off guard. I was simply expecting a lot more people. A lot of places still seemed closed to, which was another surprise.

+22 hours after Pfizer #2. Slight arm pain, no other side effects. Maybe a little more tired than normal last night but slept fine.

Wife also had Pfizer #2 yesterday. Other than some psychosomatic effects right after the shot, she's fine. I think her head got to her a little bit but after she realized that she was able to survive that 15 minute waiting period, she was good to go. And thank god because my life would have been miserable today if she even felt slightly under the weather...

+22 hours after Pfizer #2. Slight arm pain, no other side effects. Maybe a little more tired than normal last night but slept fine.

Wife also had Pfizer #2 yesterday. Other than some psychosomatic effects right after the shot, she's fine. I think her head got to her a little bit but after she realized that she was able to survive that 15 minute waiting period, she was good to go. And thank god because my life would have been miserable today if she even felt slightly under the weather...
Meanwhile on the purse forum, wives are posting about their husband's being babies about getting the shot as well... 

First they have to wait for the state to eliminate the mask mandate then I think there will be a lag between lifting of the mask mandates. Maybe a few months? I dunno. I find wearing the mask more annoying then ever now that Im fully vaccinated but Im not gonna be a Karen all of a sudden. Ill just grit my teeth and bear it.
Is that an alternative to grin and bear it?

That's something else: What has to happen before your big-box retailers and your small mom-&-pop businesses decide to dispense with masking, both for their employees and their customers? Does it all come down to the CDC making a call, at least for the big players like Wal-Mart, Costco, and Target? Is it a local decision, to where a Wal-Mart in Georgia might not require a mask in June 2021 while another Wal-Mart in Michigan may continue to require them well into 2022?
i was just in northwest GA.  they aint wearing no stinking masks.   :oldunsure:

That's the prime area (in Georgia at least) where folks aren't wearing masks and/or not getting vaccinated.  Where I am, the mask usage it better and I'm assuming the vaccination numbers are much better.

That's the prime area (in Georgia at least) where folks aren't wearing masks and/or not getting vaccinated.  Where I am, the mask usage it better and I'm assuming the vaccination numbers are much better.
some were vaccinated, some weren't getting it evah, some were on the fence.  masks?   :lmao:  

a state representative, kacey carpenter, is actually my friends cousin.  great guy.  hysterical!  he was quite smart and seemed to operate from a common sense stand point, to this californian. :shrug:  i've always favored the darwinian approach myself.  sadly, a lot of people are quite lacking in common sense.

Just got Pfizer #2 a few hours ago.   Hoping for zero-to-mild side effects, but prepared for whatever happens.   Mrs APK also got it today.  She's taking a nap now, but in fairness, we got up at 5:30am to drive to central Illinois and back.

Yeah ... there are areas like this peppered throughout the U.S. There are rural areas in SE Louisiana that are like this. My working theory is that these places don't get a lot of passers-through, and don't commonly have crowds of locals accumulate anywhere. And so, some areas have been largely able to get away with it.

Yeah ... there are areas like this peppered throughout the U.S. There are rural areas in SE Louisiana that are like this. My working theory is that these places don't get a lot of passers-through, and don't commonly have crowds of locals accumulate anywhere. And so, some areas have been largely able to get away with it.
agreed.  

our immediate group, 4 to 10 people, was fairly self contained.  we were from GA, TN, CA and the USVI.  all were vaccinated but 2.  we ate outside, since it was gorgeous.  and the bday party, while inside, was in a huge building.  and was the home of a vaccinated medical bigwig.  in some ways, we were the most likely carriers of disease, coming from outside their bubble.   :shrug:

atlanta had more mask wearing, but nothing close to CA.

identikit said:
12+ hours post-shot, my left arm is pretty sore (more so than after # 1).

Nothing else adverse though.

ETA Much of my arm soreness is due to my sidesleeping ways.

Tried to stay off it, but not in my DNA I guess.
About 24 hours after #2, running a 99.3 temp.

Otherwise I feel fine.

Wife just had shot 2 of Pfizer on Wednesday. No issues except sore arm. Getting mine soon hoping for same.
Had my second Pfizer 14 days ago.   Zero issues, not even sore arm.

Ford Field in Detroit that was set to handle 7000 people a day is doing less than half that right now.  I made 6 appointments and walked into to local Rite Aid a month ago.  There was no line and I got the vaccine. After that all 6 of the others I made texted me within a couple days.  Both my daughters walked into Ford Field 2 weeks without appointments and were vaccinated.

gump said:
Pfizer #2 in as of 5 min ago...made the mistake of looking at that needle :shock:
23 hours later and wife and I are both fine, just a sore arm and a little sluggish. I couldn’t resist myself and had a few drinks last night....

One thing I should have noted to lend context is that if the U.S. does ever get down to a simmering average of ~1,000 cases a day, that would represent a 95-98% reduction in where the U.S. is now (fluctuating between ~50,000 to ~80,000 per day.
There’s 32 million documented cases, with probably 3-5x that number who’ve been infected but never were diagnosed, if we believe seroprevalence studies. Meanwhile ~50% of the population has received at least one vaccine dose. 

And roughly 20% of the population steadfastly refuse vaccination.

While there’s overlap between vaccine recipients and those who’ve been infected, and vaccination will invariably slow as people willing to get it dry up, I doubt we’re gonna see high case numbers after summer.

Without doing the math, the combination of natural and vaccine-induced immunity should approach the herd immunity threshold by then.

The only things that could throw a wrench into that plan are vaccine-resistant mutants, or some terrible vaccine AE that stalls immunization efforts.

Don't get me wrong, covid is gonna be around in sizable numbers for years worldwide. But I think developed countries should be largely out of the woods by the fall.

ETA Oops, only 40% have received one dose as of late April. But the point remains, if 60%+ are willing to be vaccinated, enough of the remaining 40% will be infected by late summer to sniff herd immunity.

Moderna shot #2 scheduled for 11 AM today.  :pickle:   Going to stock up on some supplies in case tomorrow is rough, but I'm not expecting much more than a sore arm.  <knocks-on-wood>
Had Moderna #2 on Monday.  About 24 hours later got low grade fever, extreme chills and fatigue that lasted until the morning.  Was fine by the morning and back to 100% by the following day. 

Wife got hers Wednesday and had a similar but lighter reaction with less chills.  

I'd plan on taking the day after your shot off.  Its a good excuse to lay around and watch movies anyway.  Outside of that, its fine. 

Turk

Went to a friends house for dinner a few nights ago. The plans was to grill and drink beer and eat outside. It started to rain though - and then all four of us were like - holy ####, we are 2+ weeks fully vaccinated, let's go inside. Was a funny realization and felt glorious to be back in friends houses raiding their fridge of beers

23 hours later and wife and I are both fine, just a sore arm and a little sluggish. I couldn’t resist myself and had a few drinks last night....
I did that after my first and had no side effects other than a sore arm.  I may have to do the same after my second today... For science.

I did that after my first and had no side effects other than a sore arm.  I may have to do the same after my second today... For science.
It probably had nothing to do with it, but after my second, I had many drinks. Too many for even a normal Thursday, and well - I had the shot at 100 PM and by midnight as I was happily passed out in bed, I woke up with crazy chills and aches and fever. Didn't feel right until Sunday. But science does call for more research. So good luck friend with the few drinks.

2nd shot down. Played 18 holes of golf 2 hours after thinking it would help keep me moving around. Was feeling nothing until hole 17 when arm started getting sore. Not bad though yet:

Will be entering the fever achy zone I have read about tomo at around 11 so hoping nothing. 

Not trying to be ridiculous, just a reminder that even if vaccinated, you can still have a not fun time at the COVID rodeo.
You don’t have to justify your statement to the immunized tough guys. There’s nothing ridiculous about maintaining some level of caution for a while longer. Even mild covid is worse than the flu:

Approximately 80% of hospitalized patients with COVID-19 report persistent symptoms several months after infection onset.1,2 However, knowledge of long-term outcomes among individuals with mild COVID-19 is scarce, and prevalence data are hampered by selection bias and suboptimal control groups.3,4 This cohort study investigated COVID-19–related long-term symptoms in health care professionals.

Results

Participant enrollment was closed after 2149 of 4375 health care professionals (49%) enrolled; 393 were seropositive. Fifty seropositive participants with severe symptoms and 404 seronegative participants who seroconverted were excluded. Twenty seropositive and 280 seronegative participants did not complete the 8-month follow-up, leaving 323 (94%) seropositive and 1072 (84%) seronegative participants. Seropositive participants who reported no or mild prior symptoms had a median (interquartile range) age of 43 (33-52) years and 268 (83%) were women; continuously seronegative participants had a median (interquartile range) age of 47 (36-56) years and 925 (86%) were women. Underlying chronic disease was reported by 71 (22%) seropositive participants vs 254 (24%) seronegative participants.

Comparing seropositive vs seronegative participants, 26% vs 9% reported at least 1 moderate to severe symptom lasting for at least 2 months (RR, 2.9 [95% CI, 2.2-3.8]) and 15% vs 3% reported at least 1 moderate to severe symptom lasting for at least 8 months (RR, 4.4 [95% CI, 2.9-6.7]) (Table). The most common moderate to severe symptoms lasting for at least 2 months in the seropositive group were anosmia, fatigue, ageusia, and dyspnea.

Of the seropositive participants, 8% reported that their long-term symptoms moderately to markedly disrupted their work life, compared with 4% of the seronegative participants (RR, 1.8 [95% CI, 1.2-2.9]); 15% reported their long-term symptoms moderately to markedly disrupted their social life, compared with 6% of the seronegative participants (RR, 2.5 [95% CI, 1.8-3.6]); and 12% reported that their long-term symptoms moderately to markedly disrupted their home life, compared with 5% of the seronegative participants (RR, 2.3 [95% CI, 1.6-3.4]) (Figure). Furthermore, 11% of the seropositive participants reported moderate to marked disruption in any Sheehan Disability Scale category as well as having at least 1 moderate to severe symptom lasting for at least 8 months, compared with 2% of the seronegative participants (RR, 4.5 [95% CI, 2.7-7.3]).

2nd shot down. Played 18 holes of golf 2 hours after thinking it would help keep me moving around. Was feeling nothing until hole 17 when arm started getting sore. Not bad though yet:

Will be entering the fever achy zone I have read about tomo at around 11 so hoping nothing. 
The golf may have been a bad idea.

Kicking my ### right now. Temp at 100 and body aches. I can’t remember the last time I was sick, been a decade probably. so I’m going to be a big baby today :lol:

Pounded water, Gatorade, and a few beers (for science) after my shot yesterday.  Felt fine when I went to bed at 11:30 PM.  Must have had a slight fever overnight because my clothes were a little damp when I had to get up in the middle of the night (see increased fluid intake).  Slept well though.

Low grade fever now 24 hrs post shot.  Nothing debilitating.  If I had to run to the store I would.  Feels just like a mild hangover.

Users who are viewing this thread