What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Heading out to an in-person restaurant with my son (also fully vaccinated) for the first time in at least 14 months.  I've never been a big restaurant guy.  Aside from lunches, I probably eat out maybe a dozen times per year.  I am going to run up a comparatively ridiculous bill tonight because why not.

Heading out to an in-person restaurant with my son (also fully vaccinated) for the first time in at least 14 months.  I've never been a big restaurant guy.  Aside from lunches, I probably eat out maybe a dozen times per year.  I am going to run up a comparatively ridiculous bill tonight because why not.
YOLO!!!!

Moderna Shot #2 this morning. My back hurts, my leg hurts, I feel hung over. But that is mostly due to drinking a bit too much last night and falling backwards over the lawnmower I had just pulled out of my shed this afternoon (sober).

Can't wait to lick random handrails again!  :thumbup:  
I had a blinding hangover the day I got my J&J. Nearly had a panic attack during the 15 minutes.

Two weeks post Phizer shot 2.  Supposedly means I’m fully vaccinated. To celebrate my son and I are driving to Baltimore for the Orioles-A’s game tonight!  First MLB game in person since August 2019.
Back in Baltimore again for game 2.  My son claimed there was a “glitch” yesterday when he purchased the tickets, and that they were actually for today’s game.  On the drive to Baltimore yesterday, a 2 hour drive!, he re-ordered tickets for last nights game.

Of course he didn’t tell me any of this until this morning. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Good thing I like baseball and had nothing going on.  At least he sprung for the tickets, for both games.  🤷🏼‍♂️

Back in Baltimore again for game 2.  My son claimed there was a “glitch” yesterday when he purchased the tickets, and that they were actually for today’s game.  On the drive to Baltimore yesterday, a 2 hour drive!, he re-ordered tickets for last nights game.

Of course he didn’t tell me any of this until this morning. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Good thing I like baseball and had nothing going on.  At least he sprung for the tickets, for both games.  🤷🏼‍♂️
Welcome to Bawlmer

The golf may have been a bad idea.

Kicking my ### right now. Temp at 100 and body aches. I can’t remember the last time I was sick, been a decade probably. so I’m going to be a big baby today :lol:
Yeah last night was unpleasant for me -- very bad chills, aches, fever, whole nine yards. Was pretty much expecting this since the first shot roughed me up too. Totally worth it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah last night was unpleasant for me -- very bad chills, aches, fever, whole nine yards. Was pretty much expecting this since the first shot roughed me up too. Totally worth it though.
For sure. Exact same for me last night and this morning sucked hard. I’m improving quickly but still feel pretty bad. Lots of sleep today. 

Hope you are feeling better as well.

Was supposed to get my first pfizer this coming wednesday (WA state just recently opened up vax availability to all) but have to reschedule as I tested dang positive yesterday.  Ohhhh the irony.

I had been exhausted all week.  Like not wanting to get out of bed type exhausted.  No other symptoms but then late in the week had some chills and started running a temp.  That’s what prompted me to get tested.  

Told any neighbors I was in contact with, quarantining from wife and kid (wife is vaxxed) for the next 10 days.  This stinks.  Except, I’m probably 6 days into this and have had extremely mild symptoms.  

30 hours or so since first started feeling like crap and am pretty much ok. I woke up at maybe 3 this morning and was dripping in sweat. But fever gone and am moving around fine. A touch achy still and feel a bit weird but think that is from laying down for so long.

Was supposed to get my first pfizer this coming wednesday (WA state just recently opened up vax availability to all) but have to reschedule as I tested dang positive yesterday.  Ohhhh the irony.

I had been exhausted all week.  Like not wanting to get out of bed type exhausted.  No other symptoms but then late in the week had some chills and started running a temp.  That’s what prompted me to get tested.  

Told any neighbors I was in contact with, quarantining from wife and kid (wife is vaxxed) for the next 10 days.  This stinks.  Except, I’m probably 6 days into this and have had extremely mild symptoms.  
Sucks to hear that. Glad it's not hitting you extremely hard. Do you know where you might have contracted the virus?

Also, sorry to be a Debbie downer, but I've hear you should wait 2-3 months post infection to get a vax.  While you can get a vax like 2 weeks after the symptoms pass, i hear the reaction can be really strong in that case. 

Sucks to hear that. Glad it's not hitting you extremely hard. Do you know where you might have contracted the virus?

Also, sorry to be a Debbie downer, but I've hear you should wait 2-3 months post infection to get a vax.  While you can get a vax like 2 weeks after the symptoms pass, i hear the reaction can be really strong in that case. 
My secretary and her husband both tested positive about a week before they were scheduled to get jabbed.  Her doctor gave her the okay to get vaccinated about two weeks or so after she recovered.  But her husband had antibody therapy and apparently that precludes vaccination for several months.

That's just her doctor -- no idea if recommendations vary across MDs.  (She had no issues with Moderna #1 beyond the standard side effects).

30 hours or so since first started feeling like crap and am pretty much ok. I woke up at maybe 3 this morning and was dripping in sweat. But fever gone and am moving around fine. A touch achy still and feel a bit weird but think that is from laying down for so long.
:thumbup:  I know lots of people say symptoms start 12 hours post-vax and last about 24 hours, and that's exactly what happened to me. Got my shot at 10 am Friday, felt like crap overnight and most of Saturday, but I started to feel a lot better late last night. Woke up pretty much 100% this morning.

My secretary and her husband both tested positive about a week before they were scheduled to get jabbed.  Her doctor gave her the okay to get vaccinated about two weeks or so after she recovered.  But her husband had antibody therapy and apparently that precludes vaccination for several months.

That's just her doctor -- no idea if recommendations vary across MDs.  (She had no issues with Moderna #1 beyond the standard side effects).
Look at me, I have a secretary!  ;)

"Who are you again?"
"I'm Freida's boss"
"And who is Freida?"
"My secretary"

:thumbup:  I know lots of people say symptoms start 12 hours post-vax and last about 24 hours, and that's exactly what happened to me. Got my shot at 10 am Friday, felt like crap overnight and most of Saturday, but I started to feel a lot better late last night. Woke up pretty much 100% this morning.
Almost exact same time frame for me. Shot at 10:30, went golfing and was telling my friend how I felt nothing then arm tightened up at end of round. No biggie though. That night in bed I was like why am I so cold then yesterday sucked big time. I am a bit sore still.

In 2 weeks we have joined the vaxed team though. Congrats!

The recommendation is waiting until acute infection has resolved and no longer requiring quarantine, generally 10 days for those with symptoms. AFAIK, you only need to wait 90 days if you’ve received antibody therapy, both convalescent plasma and the monoclonal stuff like Trump got.

ETA what Ivan said.

The recommendation is waiting until acute infection has resolved and no longer requiring quarantine, generally 10 days for those with symptoms. AFAIK, you only need to wait 90 days if you’ve received antibody therapy, both convalescent plasma and the monoclonal stuff like Trump got.

ETA what Ivan said.
OK, you da doc, not me.

OK, you da doc, not me.
I'm not saying your statement was incorrect. I've just not heard the risk of adverse reactions to the vaccine is higher immediately post infection. But it's certainly plausible.

You can also make an argument to wait a couple months after infection anyway, as natural immunity is good for several months at the minimum, and vaccines may be reformulated as new variants arise.

Even though vaccine induced immunity appears more potent than that acquired naturally. it probably isn't critical to get the shot right away for most people. I'd err on the side of earlier vaccination if infection was asymptomatic/minimally symptomatic (immune response may be less robust) or you have significant immunocompromise (AIDS and primary immunodeficiencies, organ transplant, blood cancers).

Got our second Pfizer shot on Friday. Girlfriend had a sore arm and some headaches, generally didn't feel well until Sunday afternoon. I felt absolutely nothing, even managed to work out every day. Looking forward to the government tracking me as I go to restaurants in a couple weeks. 

Got the 2nd Pfizer shot on Saturday and for a good bit of yesterday felt like a truck had run over me. Still don't feel great this morning, but am slowly getting there. 

If you've not had at least one vaccine shot, you are now officially in the minority in America. 

Over 1/3 of our adults are fully vaccinated. 

Good job everyone 
Great news. Hopefully hesitancy was either overstated or will continue to go down. 

Great news. Hopefully hesitancy was either overstated or will continue to go down. 
I forget if I read it here or somewhere else, but hesitancy was decreasing 4% per day.  I think there was a high "wait and see" contingent that are seeing it is safe.  There are going to be some never-vaxers until a situation arises that may force them.  There are going to be some COVID hotspots still, like what happened in Michigan, down south this summer because people are refusing the vaccine right now.  

At least around here, there are walk-in appointments available all over the place. Hopefull some of the hesitancy was also just the cluster around the making an appointment part of this.

Read on the big New Orleans Saints board. Poster lives in rural western Louisiana:

... my wife and I just got our first shorts this morning at 8 a.m. , we go back next month on the 20th. a lot of thought and discerning went into it. I feel good about our decision. Shamefully, we're telling everyone because believe me we'll get ridiculed for it .
WTH, rural folks? If you don't want to get the vaccine for yourself, that's one thing. But why give a friend or neighbor grief about it? It's objectively not wrong to get the vaccine.

At least around here, there are walk-in appointments available all over the place. Hopefully some of the hesitancy was also just the cluster around the making an appointment part of this.
Just reading the tea leaves a bit from various boards (including here) and some IRL people (incl relatives :( 😞

For a lot of people, if they weren't particularly gung ho about getting the vaccine to begin with ... not being able to make a convenient appointment with a few mouse clicks was enough of a barrier to have them say "Eff it -- there's 'no appointments available'. I'll maybe try again some time."

I see too many people getting tripped up on the idea that if you can't readily schedule online with a big national pharmacy chain, that there are 'no appointments'. When I've told people that they should start with Louisiana's Department of Health website, look at the list of vaccination sites, GET THE PHONE NUMBERS for close-by sites, then place some phone calls and get on both appointment waiting lists AND no-show lists ... they act like I've cracked the Enigma code or something.

If you don't want to get the vaccine for yourself, that's one thing.
If that one thing is stupid, then yes, it's only one thing. 😉

Heard on a podcast (NYT's The Daily?) that some employers are requiring their employees go to the clinic, even if it's simply to opt out (to receive a written opt out).  Many that are required to go to the clinic to opt out end up just getting the vaccine because they're already there, pressure of opting out when other co-workers are getting it, etc.  That's such a small hurdle to jump.

Hopefully other leaders find ways to incentivize getting the vaccine.  Like the NFL requiring less daily/weekly covid related hurdles once a player is vaccinated.  Incentivizing with the carrot vs the stick.

At least around here, there are walk-in appointments available all over the place. Hopefull some of the hesitancy was also just the cluster around the making an appointment part of this.
In Tampa and I saw a ton of appointments available from CVS as of yesterday. I didn't seen any in the suburbs, but saw plenty in town. I hope this is just a blip and progress is made. 

Just reading the tea leaves a bit from various boards (including here) and some IRL people (incl relatives :( 😞

For a lot of people, if they weren't particularly gung ho about getting the vaccine to begin with ... not being able to make a convenient appointment with a few mouse clicks was enough of a barrier to have them say "Eff it -- there's 'no appointments available'. I'll maybe try again some time."

I see too many people getting tripped up on the idea that if you can't readily schedule online with a big national pharmacy chain, that there are 'no appointments'. When I've told people that they should start with Louisiana's Department of Health website, look at the list of vaccination sites, GET THE PHONE NUMBERS for close-by sites, then place some phone calls and get on both appointment waiting lists AND no-show lists ... they act like I've cracked the Enigma code or something.
This was my parents. They mean well but my mom is literally the type of person that covid would destroy and my family and theirs would have trouble if she was left on her own due to something happening to my dad(much healthier-but you know how things happen for the care taker). My mom is, obese, diabetes, has had a large stroke, asthma, very slow to heal from complication etc.. They were checking through their health insurance website once every few days and calling that good when it had nothing for our area. They thought they were doing everything. They are now folly vaccinated as I continued checking the health insurance app, yourturn.com, target, walgreens, and CVS. In our area CVS and target ended up getting tons of vaccines that no one knew was around as they couldn't get appointments through the health insurance or government channels. I told 20+ people about the local retail places to check for vaccines and no one knew about it, and then they had appointments.

Question for those in other states (I'm in Louisiana):

Locally, there are basically four separate prongs in the vaccination efforts:

1. Large national pharmacy chains (Walgreens, CVS, WalMart, etc.)
2. Hospitals
3. Mass vaccination sites
4. Small providers: independent pharmacies, private health clinics, and grocery-store pharmacies

The question: Are these same four prongs available pretty much everywhere? Or in some states, it's just, say, mass sites and big pharmacy chains?

Locally, having the small providers (and lots of them!) chipping in has made a lot of difference. Make a few phone calls, and you were set.

It's always been a PITA to get an appointment with a big chain, even here (might be better now than when I was trying in March, though).

This was my parents. They mean well but my mom is literally the type of person that covid would destroy and my family and theirs would have trouble if she was left on her own due to something happening to my dad(much healthier-but you know how things happen for the care taker). My mom is, obese, diabetes, has had a large stroke, asthma, very slow to heal from complication etc.. They were checking through their health insurance website once every few days and calling that good when it had nothing for our area. They thought they were doing everything. They are now folly vaccinated as I continued checking the health insurance app, yourturn.com, target, walgreens, and CVS. In our area CVS and target ended up getting tons of vaccines that no one knew was around as they couldn't get appointments through the health insurance or government channels. I told 20+ people about the local retail places to check for vaccines and no one knew about it, and then they had appointments.
Username checks out.

2. Hospitals
4. Small providers: independent pharmacies, private health clinics, and grocery-store pharmacies

The question: Are these same four prongs available pretty much everywhere? Or in some states, it's just, say, mass sites and big pharmacy chains?

Locally, having the small providers (and lots of them!) chipping in has made a lot of difference. Make a few phone calls, and you were set.

It's always been a PITA to get an appointment with a big chain, even here (might be better now than when I was trying in March, though).
These are the same as here in the Twin Cities. I would add clinics to #2 in addition to hospitals

Georgia finally passed Alabama for #49 on the fully vaccinated list - suck it Alabama!

I did a little Googling during lunch and the state vaccination rankings for COVID and the Flu are about the same across the board - a few that were outliers but for the most part you have states getting the COVID vaccine at a proportional rate as they get the Flu vaccine.  

I don't know... rednecks around here are still convinced we should wait till final studies end in 2095 before taking it. 

trader jake said:
If that one thing is stupid, then yes, it's only one thing. 😉

Heard on a podcast (NYT's The Daily?) that some employers are requiring their employees go to the clinic, even if it's simply to opt out (to receive a written opt out).  Many that are required to go to the clinic to opt out end up just getting the vaccine because they're already there, pressure of opting out when other co-workers are getting it, etc.  That's such a small hurdle to jump.

Hopefully other leaders find ways to incentivize getting the vaccine.  Like the NFL requiring less daily/weekly covid related hurdles once a player is vaccinated.  Incentivizing with the carrot vs the stick.
That is awesome.  Meanwhile my company is afraid to even encourage people to get vaccinated for fear that it violates HIPAA

Paul Brown stadium had a mass vaccination clinic Sunday with 5,000 shots available.   They gave out 1,000 shots.  I did not see what happened to the other 4,000.

the moops said:
These are the same as here in the Twin Cities. I would add clinics to #2 in addition to hospitals
I had been checking the websites for thrifty white and CVS until I got selected for the mass vaccination site about a week ago. You couldn't find anything on the websites for those two pharmacies about a week ago. I checked both sites again this morning and there were tons of open time slots for every day this week (including same day). I just checked again out of curiosity and still tons of time slots. Seems like a switch flipped in the last week and suddenly supply is outpacing demand. 

Doug B said:

2. Hospitals

Same in FL but I get a sense our grocery store pharmacies, in particular Publix have played a major role. Moderna shot#2 for the wife and I today!

5 million have missed their appointments for the second dose of Pfizer/Maderna. I suspect a lot are because of the side effects. 

Capella said:
All I keep hearing is bad news.  Cincinnati had a walk in clinic this weekend at Paul Brown Stadium.  Had 15k shots on hand.  Only administered 1000.

A recent poll found that about 25% of people say they will never get a vaccine.  

5 million have missed their appointments for the second dose of Pfizer/Maderna. I suspect a lot are because of the side effects. 
Curious how many of these people are in situations where they feel they can't miss work for a day or two and are afraid about all the stories of side effects.  Employers should provide two days pay for the second shot.

All I keep hearing is bad news.  Cincinnati had a walk in clinic this weekend at Paul Brown Stadium.  Had 15k shots on hand.  Only administered 1000.

A recent poll found that about 25% of people say they will never get a vaccine.  
I heard a poll on the evening news say 40%.  Probably worded different, "likely or wont get".  

Users who are viewing this thread