Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

gianmarco

Covid vaccine  

461 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, shuke said:

Curious how many of these people are in situations where they feel they can't miss work for a day or two and are afraid about all the stories of side effects.  Employers should provide two days pay for the second shot.

Article I read today about these missed 2nd appointments said it was a variety of factors. Some scared of the 2nd shot side effects, some felt they were protected enough with only one shot (odd), and issues with the scheduling/places not being properly prepared with enough/correct vaccine.

Also mentioned was the rate for other multi-dose type regiments (think it referenced the shingles shot) being messed up was like 25% and COVID so far is under 10%. That number is rising though.

Crazy to me with the amount of stuff we have gone through people would mess this part up but different strokes and all.

We had a long wait out here in the Mojave Desert. I've been on the "hospital list" the local newspaper said we should use for 9 weeks ago. I get emails saying I am eligible. Call this number for your appointment. I call and they cannot get me scheduled. The shortage has had many residents driving a couple hours for walk-ins. 

So I am filling a grocery cart (Albertson's) online today for a pickup, and there's a link for vaccines. I click on it, five minutes later I am schedule for 1pm tomorrow. No idea which brand I will be poked with, but I called the hospital number again and still get told to try next week with no mention Albertson's has openings almost every hour of the day all week. :shrug:

Happy to get on with it. Clipper and Laker playoff games are in my future.

Edited by Chaos Commish
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, shuke said:

Curious how many of these people are in situations where they feel they can't miss work for a day or two and are afraid about all the stories of side effects.  Employers should provide two days pay for the second shot.

I talked to a tech at my work that is in the office every day.  He said he hadn't gotten a vax yet because, "my risk profile is good, so I don't need it."  I didn't want to get into it with him except to say that he could likely get PTO for this time away from the lab to get vaccinated.

I should have reminded him that the vax isn't just for him, it's for everyone else's benefit too.

Edited by The Z Machine
  • Like 1

Played horse shoes with a buddy a few houses down on Friday. Walking past his house Sunday he informs me that he hung out with a friend the weekend prior who tested positive. That person was fully vax'd in feb. :eek:

We have since both tested negative. 

Wife, oldest daughter and myself are getting our second shot today. I have tickets to tomorrows wizards Lakers game so I hope I dont get sick. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

I won an item on ebay a few weeks ago and the seller and I agreed to meet locally to pick up the item. He comes outside his work to his truck to make the exchange and takes his mask off (I have mine on), and he says "you dont need that with me."

You are EXACTLY who I need to worry about. 

• Like 3
  • Laughing 2

Had a softball game last night, and was chatting afterwards with a dude on my team. He is sort of a friend. Asked him where he was with his vaccines (nearly everyone else has had their 2nd, some only had their first) and he says he is not going to get one, he is just going to continue wearing a mask and staying distanced from people. I pried a little bit, and he said he isn't anti-vax, he is just waiting until there is a "real vaccine" available. I wanted to punch him, so I just walked away and drank beer with a non weird person instead.

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, the moops said:

Had a softball game last night, and was chatting afterwards with a dude on my team. He is sort of a friend. Asked him where he was with his vaccines (nearly everyone else has had their 2nd, some only had their first) and he says he is not going to get one, he is just going to continue wearing a mask and staying distanced from people. I pried a little bit, and he said he isn't anti-vax, he is just waiting until there is a "real vaccine" available. I wanted to punch him, so I just walked away and drank beer with a non weird person instead.

Who's got time to mess around with these so-called vaccines that are only 99% effective?  I'm holding out for a real vaccine that works 100% of the time, no exceptions.  You know, like all those other vaccines with 100% efficacy rates.  

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 4

Did someone say... shots?

Got Pfizer #1 yesterday.

Mildly sore arm, no other side effects to speak of.  Was a little foggy-headed yesterday but that's it.

Round two on 5/17.

• Like 7

:clap::clap: FINALLY convinced my wife to get the shot. Scheduled for this Saturday. She has been very reluctant due to having an autoimmune issue and quite honestly, influence from her family. She will be the only one of them to get the vaccine including her sister who is an RN at a nursing home. A LOT of misinformation perpetrated by that side of the family. They are very entrenched on one side of the isle and the vaccine has become insta-death in their heads. 

I honestly gave up hope on it. Came to accept that she was going to take the risk even though she is a cancer survivor. She told me today out of the blue to go ahead and schedule her a shot as long as it didn't interfere with a gauntlet of various scheduling conflicts. :rolleyes:

• Like 12

It's crazy to me anyone would not take a vaccine for a nasty virus.  I am two weeks after my second dose now; never felt better.  Anyone not getting these shots are just scared; we need to give them the same talk kids get when they get the vaccine for polio.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, top dog said:

:clap::clap: FINALLY convinced my wife to get the shot. Scheduled for this Saturday. She has been very reluctant due to having an autoimmune issue and quite honestly, influence from her family. She will be the only one of them to get the vaccine including her sister who is an RN at a nursing home. A LOT of misinformation perpetrated by that side of the family. They are very entrenched on one side of the isle and the vaccine has become insta-death in their heads. 

I honestly gave up hope on it. Came to accept that she was going to take the risk even though she is a cancer survivor. She told me today out of the blue to go ahead and schedule her a shot as long as it didn't interfere with a gauntlet of various scheduling conflicts. :rolleyes:

My wife had Guilliane-Barre as a child and is not allowed to get the Flu vaccine.  There was some information early on that she shouldn’t get the COVID vaccine and she was extremely anxious - more information from the CDC and others came out that GB patients could/should get the vaccine.  She finally joined a FB group where GB patients were encouraging each other to get the vaccine and she decided to sign up - she gets dose #2 on Friday.  Good luck to your wife!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

My wife had Guilliane-Barre as a child and is not allowed to get the Flu vaccine.  There was some information early on that she shouldn’t get the COVID vaccine and she was extremely anxious - more information from the CDC and others came out that GB patients could/should get the vaccine.  She finally joined a FB group where GB patients were encouraging each other to get the vaccine and she decided to sign up - she gets dose #2 on Friday.  Good luck to your wife!

Did she develop GBS within 6 weeks of receiving a flu shot? If so, that’s just a precaution to subsequent flu vaccination, whereas GBS not temporally associated with the shot does not preclude future immunizations.

7 hours ago, Garrett said:

It's crazy to me anyone would not take a vaccine for a nasty virus.  I am two weeks after my second dose now; never felt better.  Anyone not getting these shots are just scared; we need to give them the same talk kids get when they get the vaccine for polio.

Don't underestimate the power of the misinformation out there. And for whatever reason, maybe it is just human nature, people are way more afraid of unknown risks (vaccine side effects) than known risks (covid side effects, covid death). When there are people pounding the drum that COVID only kills 1.8% of those who get it in the USA but the vaccine has UNKNOWN % of POTENTIAL side effects... Some people will not do the data crunching and determine that they like that 99.2% chance of survival. Ignoring that the percentage of UNKNOWN could be lower, and they are completely ignoring the UNKNOWN side effects of surviving the virus. (I'm pulling those percentages out my butt as an example, not sure what they really are. Please don't anyone beat me up if they are off.)

A lot of this.. A FREAKING LOT is political as well. Drives me insane. Apparently I'm more of a middle of the road kind of person. My family who is pretty entrenched on one side of the isle thinks of me as a die hard for the OTHER side. My wife's family, which is pretty strongly dug in on the other side of the isle thinks that I'm a die hard for THAT OTHER side. One side of the family is almost fully vaccinated. The other side, no way are they getting that unproven, experimental, government pushed vaccine.

It really does make me sad. Because some of these people I love and know they have decided that the risk isn't worth the reward. And some of them are pretty high risk for complications from COVID. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Did she develop GBS within 6 weeks of receiving a flu shot? If so, that’s just a precaution to subsequent flu vaccination, whereas GBS not temporally associated with the shot does not preclude future immunizations.

Are you saying if she didn’t get GBS after taking the flu vaccine that she could take the flu vaccine now?  Because if so, that’s not what’s she’s been told her entire life and I know when I get the flu vaccine they ask if you’ve had GBS.

ETA - this was about 42 years ago - don’t think it has anything to do with receiving a vaccine.

Edited by AAABatteries

3 minutes ago, top dog said:

Don't underestimate the power of the misinformation out there. And for whatever reason, maybe it is just human nature, people are way more afraid of unknown risks (vaccine side effects) than known risks (covid side effects, covid death). When there are people pounding the drum that COVID only kills 1.8% of those who get it in the USA but the vaccine has UNKNOWN % of POTENTIAL side effects... Some people will not do the data crunching and determine that they like that 99.2% chance of survival. Ignoring that the percentage of UNKNOWN could be lower, and they are completely ignoring the UNKNOWN side effects of surviving the virus. (I'm pulling those percentages out my butt as an example, not sure what they really are. Please don't anyone beat me up if they are off.)

A lot of this.. A FREAKING LOT is political as well. Drives me insane. Apparently I'm more of a middle of the road kind of person. My family who is pretty entrenched on one side of the isle thinks of me as a die hard for the OTHER side. My wife's family, which is pretty strongly dug in on the other side of the isle thinks that I'm a die hard for THAT OTHER side. One side of the family is almost fully vaccinated. The other side, no way are they getting that unproven, experimental, government pushed vaccine.

It really does make me sad. Because some of these people I love and know they have decided that the risk isn't worth the reward. And some of them are pretty high risk for complications from COVID. 

Wait until the vaccine gets their BLA later this year and there will still be excuses.  Without being too political. The ironic thing was "their guy" #####ed and moaned the approval process takes too long, they praised how they are fixing that but now it's unsafe?  I can't keep up with everyones political lane changes. And they all change lanes

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Are you saying if she didn’t get GBS after taking the flu vaccine that she could take the flu vaccine now?  Because if so, that’s not what’s she’s been told her entire life and I know when I get the flu vaccine they ask if you’ve had GBS.

Yes. Only if GBS occurred within 6 weeks of vaccination is it considered a precaution (not an absolute contraindication) for future shots. Just having GBS doesn't cut it.

Even if GBS occurred within 6 weeks of the vaccine, it is still at the clinician’s discretion whether the risk:benefit justifies future vaccination.

It’s a common misperception. CDC guidance here

Look at Table 4-2, the first row under the table headings.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, top dog said:

Even if you completely ignore the role of partisan tribalism in all of this, there's always the underlying fact that human beings are intrinsically awful at assessing risks -- especially risks that are very small but have high salience.  Our own non-partisan regulators literally just killed God knows how many people because of a one-in-one-million risk of rare blood clot that may not even have anything to do with that particular vaccine.  If those people can't assess risk accurately, do we really expect your ordinary person to get this kind of thing right?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Even if you completely ignore the role of partisan tribalism in all of this, there's always the underlying fact that human beings are intrinsically awful at assessing risks -- especially risks that are very small but have high salience.  Our own non-partisan regulators literally just killed God knows how many people because of a one-in-one-million risk of rare blood clot that may not even have anything to do with that particular vaccine.  If those people can't assess risk accurately, do we really expect your ordinary person to get this kind of thing right?

Unfortunately, it’s often times not even just the process of risk assessment in play - it’s the fallout from that risk - like being sued, or given grief by your friends or family, or several other things.  I think they are bad at risk assessment and are doing a CYA at the same time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

SPOT ON 

• Like 1

Got second Pfizer shot yesterday. First one I just had some fatigue and my arm hurt a fair amount. 

This time the arm doesn’t even hurt today but last night was BRUTAL. Woke up every few seconds. Fever of 102. Sore all over, especially my knees. My whole body was burning up. Ended up sleeping nekkid and just see-sawed from freezing to burning up. If a thin bedsheet so much as touched my skin It felt like I was on fire. Take it off and I was shivering. 

Took some NyQuil and that helped with the fever only. Went downstairs at 3:30 AM to make soup and drink more OJ.

Today I feel better but still pretty rough. 

Waiting to hear back from the wife. Her symptoms weren’t as bad but I didn’t let her get much last night. 

Will update later. 

Note: I do wonder if I should have just rested rather than worked out last night. The first shot I basically just did nothing and lounged around and as I said, the symptoms were very mild. Last night in an effort to just push through feeling bad  I exercised. Take it for what it’s worth but I’d recommend to just relax.

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

15 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Waiting to hear back from the wife. Her symptoms weren’t as bad but I didn’t let her get much last night. 

Will update later. 

:confused:

Edited by identikit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Twitter is full of a lot of stuff on this topic.  Things like you are 4x as likely to die of choking as you are at catching Covid in a restaurant as a vaccinated person.  

Relative risk is important.  

At the same time, there's enough out there to say that the risk for young girls after their period dying of the vaccine is higher than dying of covid up to age 25.  The outright risk there still is saying we probably kill maybe 2 more girls in the nation if we push this onward.  Is it worth it?  Probably not.  

I have doubts they ever allow this to be given to kids.  It just doesn't make sense.  If we could get all the adults to take it they wouldn't really need it, and even if there was some breakout variant hospitals could deal with getting whatever level of crushing that would take place in their cases.

1 minute ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

My mom just told me something like only 30%of people get the second shot. If you’re gonna get one, might as well go all in.

Moderna and Pfizer are both testing a stronger 1st dose rather than a 2 shot scheme.  This could get EUA soonish and will deal with this aspect.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Twitter is full of a lot of stuff on this topic.  Things like you are 4x as likely to die of choking as you are at catching Covid in a restaurant as a vaccinated person.  

Relative risk is important.  

At the same time, there's enough out there to say that the risk for young girls after their period dying of the vaccine is higher than dying of covid up to age 25.  The outright risk there still is saying we probably kill maybe 2 more girls in the nation if we push this onward.  Is it worth it?  Probably not.  

I have doubts they ever allow this to be given to kids.  It just doesn't make sense.  If we could get all the adults to take it they wouldn't really need it, and even if there was some breakout variant hospitals could deal with getting whatever level of crushing that would take place in their cases.

Unfortunately you have to sift through which of these are actual facts and which ones are made-up or cherry picked stats

I had a friend pass suddenly last night from blood clots.   Had his second Moderna recently.  He was 49 and in good health otherwise.  He made a show on Facebook of promoting the vaccine to our friends (lot of rural Michigan people) Everyone is still in shock.  Just horrible.  So many of my friends have died young from stupid luck.

I've had second Moderna last week.  Feel great after a few hours of sick.

• Sad 6

1 minute ago, belljr said:

Unfortunately you have to sift through which of these are actual facts and which ones are made-up or cherry picked stats

What needs to be explained better is how they determined the overall vaccine effectiveness, and how that even the 95% effective vastly understates just how powerful this stuff is.  At 90 days after shot 1 with a shot 2, it's damn near impossible to catch it yet they chose time periods of 14-40 days to do the evaluation to speed up the EUA.  

This RNA tech is the ####### nuts.  

The problems I see is how the CDC still is putting out guidance about how vaccinated people need to mask up in certain situations, which is absurd.  They should flex the effectiveness of this by widening these standards.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, culdeus said:

What needs to be explained better is how they determined the overall vaccine effectiveness, and how that even the 95% effective vastly understates just how powerful this stuff is.  At 90 days after shot 1 with a shot 2, it's damn near impossible to catch it yet they chose time periods of 14-40 days to do the evaluation to speed up the EUA.  

This RNA tech is the ####### nuts.  

The problems I see is how the CDC still is putting out guidance about how vaccinated people need to mask up in certain situations, which is absurd.  They should flex the effectiveness of this by widening these standards.

If there's one thing that I hope we can do to prepare for "the next pandemic," it would be to speed up regulatory approval for future mRNA vaccines.  Knowing that we actually had a working and super-effective vaccine literally hours after sequencing the virus and that the rest of the year was spent on regulatory oversight and mass production, it seems like we should invest in figuring out how to cut that timeline down dramatically. 

For example, if we can demonstrate that mRNA vaccines are safe in general, we could be prepared to skip directly to the "right to try" stage (which is a thing that absolutely should exist and would have saved at least tens of thousands of lives in 2020) without having to wait around for efficacy trials, which I don't see any reasonable way to ever speed up.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

If there's one thing that I hope we can do to prepare for "the next pandemic," it would be to speed up regulatory approval for future mRNA vaccines.  Knowing that we actually had a working and super-effective vaccine literally hours after sequencing the virus and that the rest of the year was spent on regulatory oversight and mass production, it seems like we should invest in figuring out how to cut that timeline down dramatically. 

For example, if we can demonstrate that mRNA vaccines are safe in general, we could be prepared to skip directly to the "right to try" stage (which is a thing that absolutely should exist and would have saved at least tens of thousands of lives in 2020) without having to wait around for efficacy trials, which I don't see any reasonable way to ever speed up.

100%

Flu shots are using a method where they are guessing about a virus that may or may not become dominant, with things in the shots that are at best a coin flip to help against the ones they selected.  

Having MRNA stuff at the ready with proven approved vectors can be deployed much faster, if you find out later they missed a nucleotide then re-rack and go again.

It's the vector that is the thing that needs testing, not the spike.  These shops can get a half dozen chimp viruses going for this.  

One of my wife’s best friends is a conspiracy honk. It’s unreal what this woman chooses to believe and then spout off about.  She buys them, hook, line and sinker, as if they’re the ABSOLUTE truth.  And this is an educated woman, that used to be a pharma rep. :crazy:

Sent my wife into a spiral yesterday. Unreal. 

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, the rover said:

Got a mild case of shingles after Moderna #1.   It's a reported potential side effect, so I'm assuming it's related.

Hearing this, glad I got the Shingles vaccine in the fall.  LOL

In the previous year I've gotten the following vaccines: Hep A&B (3 shots), Shingles (2 shots), Flu (1 shot), pneumonia (1 shot), tetanus (1 shot) and Covid (Pfizer 2 shots).  Guess I'm not an antivaxxer!!!  All were recommended by my various Drs.  

I'm ready for anything now.  LOL

• Like 5
  • Laughing 1

24 minutes ago, cheeseypoof said:

Hearing this, glad I got the Shingles vaccine in the fall.  LOL

In the previous year I've gotten the following vaccines: Hep A&B (3 shots), Shingles (2 shots), Flu (1 shot), pneumonia (1 shot), tetanus (1 shot) and Covid (Pfizer 2 shots).  Guess I'm not an antivaxxer!!!  All were recommended by my various Drs.  

I'm ready for anything now.  LOL

"Check out the big brain on cheeseypoof" - Jules Winnfield

• Laughing 3

1 hour ago, the rover said:

Got a mild case of shingles after Moderna #1.   It's a reported potential side effect, so I'm assuming it's related.

Got my first Moderna shot 24 hours ago.  Arm has been really sore and body aches kicked in a few hours ago.   It is my legs that ache the most.   It is a dull ache and they feel heavy.  Also feel a little tired and foggy.

I don’t care about the sore arm.  The other symptoms aren’t horrible either but hope they ease up in a day or two.   I skipped yesterday’s workout and plan to skip the workouts today and tomorrow as well.  Doing what I can to make sure I feel back to normal sooner than later.   Don’t know that working out will hurt anything but rest seems like the wise move.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Got my first Moderna shot 24 hours ago.  Arm has been really sore and body aches kicked in a few hours ago.   It is my legs that ache the most.   It is a dull ache and they feel heavy.  Also feel a little tired and foggy.

I don’t care about the sore arm.  The other symptoms aren’t horrible either but hope they ease up in a day or two.   I skipped yesterday’s workout and plan to skip the workouts today and tomorrow as well.  Doing what I can to make sure I feel back to normal sooner than later.   Don’t know that working out will hurt anything but rest seems like the wise move.  

👍

It's not the consumption, pardner.

It'll pass.

Edited by identikit

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot on Monday.  Arm was sore Monday night and Tuesday, but that was it.  No other side effects to report.  I never got sick or a fever after either shot.  Same as the first shot, team at University of Dayton shuttled people around the arena with no wait or down time.  Checked in, ushered to a seat, cart lady rolled up with the shot.  Sat for 10-15mins, then left.  It took longer to drive to UD than it did to get the shot.  Very efficient.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Got second Pfizer shot yesterday. First one I just had some fatigue and my arm hurt a fair amount. 

This time the arm doesn’t even hurt today but last night was BRUTAL. Woke up every few seconds. Fever of 102. Sore all over, especially my knees. My whole body was burning up. Ended up sleeping nekkid and just see-sawed from freezing to burning up. If a thin bedsheet so much as touched my skin It felt like I was on fire. Take it off and I was shivering. 

Took some NyQuil and that helped with the fever only. Went downstairs at 3:30 AM to make soup and drink more OJ.

Today I feel better but still pretty rough. 

Will update later. 

Note: I do wonder if I should have just rested rather than worked out last night. The first shot I basically just did nothing and lounged around and as I said, the symptoms were very mild. Last night in an effort to just push through feeling bad  I exercised. Take it for what it’s worth but I’d recommend to just relax.

I “went to work” today but ended up calling out at noon.

Had a 100 degree fever. Ate, Took some Nyquill, found a nice cold spot in the basement and just woke up. I think I’m Ok enouge to go yell obscenities at Lebron James at tonight’s game. 

16 year old is completely fine and no symptoms.

Wife is not feeling great, but not quite as bad as me.