What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
DA RAIDERS said:
One of my wife’s best friends is a conspiracy honk. It’s unreal what this woman chooses to believe and then spout off about.  She buys them, hook, line and sinker, as if they’re the ABSOLUTE truth.  And this is an educated woman, that used to be a pharma rep. :crazy:

Sent my wife into a spiral yesterday. Unreal. 
FYI most pharma reps are pure salespeople, not medical experts

culdeus said:
100%

Flu shots are using a method where they are guessing about a virus that may or may not become dominant, with things in the shots that are at best a coin flip to help against the ones they selected.  

Having MRNA stuff at the ready with proven approved vectors can be deployed much faster, if you find out later they missed a nucleotide then re-rack and go again.

It's the vector that is the thing that needs testing, not the spike.  These shops can get a half dozen chimp viruses going for this.  
One of my regular patients is in the initial Moderna trial. He did get the vaccine, has regular follow ups and keeps me updated. He said as of 9 months, he still has the full compliment of antibodies and estimate he’s still at 95% protection. At the 1 year mark he is scheduled to receive a booster assuming that it is finished. They told him that it would have more in it, including the flu shot. And if everything goes right it might be the last flu shot he has to get. The technology is amazing.

top dog said:
 She has been very reluctant due to having an autoimmune issue
My wife is in this boat. She acknowledges she will get one eventually, but she's in no hurry. Which was easier for her to say when we weren't eligible. The JNJ issues and ties to autoimmune conditions didn't help. Neither does math, unfortunately.

I get #2 on Monday.

It's almost 24 hours after shot #2 and have a little arm pain around the injection site, but maybe 25% of what it was after shot #1. Nothing else. #TeamPfizer

Judge Smails said:
We also have our VP of development down with COVID and his wife is fighting for her life in the ICU. Getting COVID now with vaccines readily available just seems foolish
Yea my buddy just got it the other day. He’s down bad I think. Openly told me he wouldn’t take the vaccine. Probably over 300 pounds. I just don’t get it. 

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
I have a good buddy who thought he'd never catch "the stupid disease". He was on a respirator for 16 days in ICU. His wife called me and told me he was gonna die. Fortunately, he made it out of the hospital but he's still losing weight and has anemia issues and can't get off the treatment steroids. He is a shell of his former self. Very sad. Get your shots!

👍

It's not the consumption, pardner.

It'll pass.
It did pass.  It’s been 40 hours since the injection and the body aches are gone.  I have a very slight headache and the injection site on my arm is a little sore.  As a point of reference, I could definitely work out today but will just go for walks instead.  Back at the gym tomorrow.   

Question for those in other states (I'm in Louisiana):

Locally, there are basically four separate prongs in the vaccination efforts:

1. Large national pharmacy chains (Walgreens, CVS, WalMart, etc.)
2. Hospitals
3. Mass vaccination sites
4. Small providers: independent pharmacies, private health clinics, and grocery-store pharmacies

The question: Are these same four prongs available pretty much everywhere? Or in some states, it's just, say, mass sites and big pharmacy chains?

Locally, having the small providers (and lots of them!) chipping in has made a lot of difference. Make a few phone calls, and you were set.

It's always been a PITA to get an appointment with a big chain, even here (might be better now than when I was trying in March, though).
Same prongs here except we also have local health insurance groups doing them as well.  Here in Northern California it was easiest to get the vaccine at the big chains by far. Insurance was very tough initially. Hospitals didn't do it much at all besides their staff. Small providers have been slow and steady the whole time and where 2nd easiest for a long time. We have hit the point of not enough arms for the vaccine already though. I am getting the 2nd Moderna today and my work (state agency) is offering it to all workers and family members (1600 workers in our building). They could barely hit the 400 person mark, although probably 50% of the workers qualified before these events due to age/health.

Wife and I had Pfizer #2 last Wednesday so we are less than a week out from being fully vaxxed. No issues for either of us. My wife was actually questioning whether or not the nurse actually gave her the full dose because she constantly reads how many people get serious side effects with dose #2 and felt she should have gotten something.

We are in Florida so it doesn't change life much for us but for me personally, I do feel a little more free when going about my day to day business. 

We were going to have 16-year old son vaccinated on Sunday but as we were walking up to the CVS, it struck me that he had just had a meningitis vax and tetanus shot a few weeks earlier and was due another booster of some sort next week. After a quick check of the Googles, we decided to cancel and ended up calling the doctor on Monday who agreed that we should wait until after his 2nd round takes place next week before he gets Pfizered up. Not a huge issue, but I do want him to get vaccinated because of the three of us, he is the most exposed on a regular basis as he is at in-person school each day. 

What has been the experience of getting the vax for those who had the virus?

We both had covid and were hesitant to get the shots, feeling there wasn't a need. But with all the talk about variants and not knowing how long antibodies will last, we set up appointments for tomorrow.

We both had covid and were hesitant to get the shots, feeling there wasn't a need. But with all the talk about variants and not knowing how long antibodies will last, we set up appointments for tomorrow.
Definitely the right call.  Do your part to reduce the chance of getting it again and spreading to others. 

That was my thinking as well.  Had the virus in December so I was in no hurry to get vaccinated even after waiting the recommended 90 days.  Got my first dose this week just to get it over with.  I probably could have waited for months since it seems likely I had the antibodies.   I know dozens of folks that had the virus and not one of them had it a second time.  

That was my thinking as well.  Had the virus in December so I was in no hurry to get vaccinated even after waiting the recommended 90 days.  Got my first dose this week just to get it over with.  I probably could have waited for months since it seems likely I had the antibodies.   I know dozens of folks that had the virus and not one of them had it a second time.  
Any reaction to the shot?

I have 2 friends that had the virus with barely any symptoms but had rough reactions to the vax.

My 19 year old son had Covid in November. Lost his sense of smell for a bit but no other major symptoms. He got Moderna #1 recently and he looked like death the next day, but was fine the second day. He’s got a week or two before he gets the second dose.

2nd moderna earlier today. Didn’t feel the needle at all, and the thought even occurred to me that maybe it was some scheme and I did not get a shot. Minor lethargy and very minor arm pain kicked in later. Hard to imagine how my life changes in 2 short weeks.

Yea my buddy just got it the other day. He’s down bad I think. Openly told me he wouldn’t take the vaccine. Probably over 300 pounds. I just don’t get it. 
The strange thing is that getting the vaccine is taking the easy way out. You can either continue taking all the precautions and risk getting sick or you can just get a couple shots. It’s like a shortcut to responsible behavior.

So I was conducting a job interview today.  I flat out asked if they had been able to schedule their vaccine.  The response was that they weren't because they didn't want to alter their DNA.  I was left speechless and after an uncomfortable pause they asked if the vaccine was a requirement.  I said No out loud, but said to myself not thinking the vaccine will alter your DNA is a requirement.

So I was conducting a job interview today.  I flat out asked if they had been able to schedule their vaccine.  The response was that they weren't because they didn't want to alter their DNA.  I was left speechless and after an uncomfortable pause they asked if the vaccine was a requirement.  I said No out loud, but said to myself not thinking the vaccine will alter your DNA is a requirement.
“We’re looking for overachievers here.  Somebody willing to change their DNA and become a mutant superhero.”  

BassNBrew said:
this is my wife's best friend, dr cheryl.   wait!  was it cheryl?

Moderna #2 for me and the girlfriend yesterday.  She has every flu symptom and is miserable.   I feel really tired and shaky.
Had my 2nd moderna on Friday.  1st shot no issues except for arm soreness.  This 2nd one kicked my ###.  Had a high fever and was shivering all day even with a hoodie and underneath a large quilt.  Would get light headed whenever I stood up.  Doing much better today.

Wife had her second shot last week.  Had zero symptoms on her first, not even the sore arm.  Her second dose followed the typical path.  12hrs out starting feeling a bit icky, 24 hrs out tired, body aches not feeling good, 36 feeling better 48 felt fine.  House now fully vaccinated!

2nd moderna earlier today. Didn’t feel the needle at all, and the thought even occurred to me that maybe it was some scheme and I did not get a shot. Minor lethargy and very minor arm pain kicked in later. Hard to imagine how my life changes in 2 short weeks.
ETA, I definitely got the real McCoy even though my nurse was a magician. I slept fine 1st night and nothing major for me day 2 unless you consider absolute lethargy and four 1 hour naps major. I probably had a low grade fever from 12-24 hours out. It was a lost day. Wife had more significant full body shivers night 1 and same 'nap day 2'. Both of us felt like new Day 3.

17 year old has pfizer #2 in 10 days. It would be great to go on family outings, but have to admit my instinct to celebrate is tempered. We'll still have a non-vaccinated 15 year old, and with that a strange new calculus. Vaxxed brother and SIL have a 10 year old and plan to go about life as usual. Not sure I'm there yet, and not sure I even love the idea of having my 15 year old mingle every weekend with a 10 year old who is frequenting mask-less restaurants (we share a cabin). I definitely need to read up on current risks to 15 year olds (don't worry, will not educate via facebook).

Last edited by a moderator:
ETA, I definitely got the real McCoy even though my nurse was a magician. I slept fine 1st night and nothing major for me day 2 unless you consider absolute lethargy and four 1 hour naps major. I probably had a low grade fever from 12-24 hours out. It was a lost day. Wife had more significant full body shivers night 1 and same 'nap day 2'. Both of us felt like new Day 3.

17 year old has pfizer #2 in 10 days. It would be great to go on family outings, but have to admit my instinct to celebrate is tempered. We'll still have a non-vaccinated 15 year old, and with that a strange new calculus. Vaxxed brother and SIL have a 10 year old and plan to go about life as usual. Not sure I'm there yet, and not sure I even love the idea of having my 15 year old mingle every weekend with a 10 year old who is frequenting mask-less restaurants (we share a cabin). I definitely need to read up on current risks to 15 year olds (don't worry, will not educate via facebook).
This is us essentially.   SIL and BIL are back to living a normal life, and they both work in healthcare, in a clinic setting.  Their kids are 7 and 10, and their entire neighborhood operates like it is the 1980s — nobody knocks on doors, everyone’s kids are at every house in the ‘hood each day.  (Which is a great dynamic normally)

Our kids are soon to be 13.  Hope that they get vaccinated soon, but until they do we aren’t going to overlap at the shared cabin.  My wife is bummed, but from a Covid perspective to me it’s an easy choice.

Uruk-Hai said:
Pfizer #2 in my arm. How long before I turn into a Transformer?
About 4 hours after this post, the lethargy set in. Didn't feel sick or anything, just kind of ragged. Same when I woke up yesterday morning. Shoulder was sore, but not bad.

Then, roughly around the the 24 hour mark, the chills set in. I could not get warm. It was hot here yesterday and I had the windows open so it was 80 degrees in the house - and I was still shivering. I climbed in bed and laid there until around 4 this morning - I doubt I slept an hour in total - and went into the office to see to a couple of things. Back home now. I think the chills are gone, but I'm pretty wasted from lack of sleep and food.

About 4 hours after this post, the lethargy set in. Didn't feel sick or anything, just kind of ragged. Same when I woke up yesterday morning. Shoulder was sore, but not bad.

Then, roughly around the the 24 hour mark, the chills set in. I could not get warm. It was hot here yesterday and I had the windows open so it was 80 degrees in the house - and I was still shivering. I climbed in bed and laid there until around 4 this morning - I doubt I slept an hour in total - and went into the office to see to a couple of things. Back home now. I think the chills are gone, but I'm pretty wasted from lack of sleep and food.
After reading about so many folks here experiencing symptoms after the 2nd shot, I fully expected the same, but it never happened other than slight arm pain near the injection site. A friend suggested this is a result of the guaranteed super powers not adhering.  :kicksrock:  

I thought I had really bad side effects after shot 1 but turns out I had actually contracted COVID right before and the symptoms manifested that night.  Was sick for like 10 days (fever, body aches, low energy)

shot 2 still on track for May 12

After reading about so many folks here experiencing symptoms after the 2nd shot, I fully expected the same, but it never happened other than slight arm pain near the injection site. A friend suggested this is a result of the guaranteed super powers not adhering.  :kicksrock:  
I jinxed my own damned self, telling everyone yesterday morning it was a piece of cake for me. Serves my dumb ### right. 

Second shot of Pfizer brought the hammer on me!  Exactly 12 hours after the shot (7am the next day) I got shakes like I've never had before.  I slept until 5pm under 100 blankets.  When I woke up, I was soaked and felt fine outside a huge headache.  I also has a red spot at injection site and it was REALLY sore....almost looked like I had been pegged by a 90 mph fastball.  I have NEVER reacted to shots like that before.  It really caught me off guard.  Tomorrow is day 14 after shot #2 :thumbup:   

mass vaccination site, near me, is now accepting walk ups.  no appointment needed.  don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

15 year-olds should be eligible next week for Pfizer

Users who are viewing this thread