Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

gianmarco

Covid vaccine  

461 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

mass vaccination site, near me, is now accepting walk ups.  no appointment needed.  don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Sadly, it's the latter

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Osaurus said:

After reading about so many folks here experiencing symptoms after the 2nd shot, I fully expected the same, but it never happened other than slight arm pain near the injection site. A friend suggested this is a result of the guaranteed super powers not adhering. :kicksrock: 

You only hear about the people who have side effects. My wife, oldest son and I had a little general soreness, maybe a little bit tired and definitely more arm soreness but that’s it with Moderna. We never had COVID and maybe we would have been asymptomatic if we got it. Who knows but I know a bunch of people who had very mild, if any reactions after the second shot. Heck, my parents and sister had Pfizer and only my mom felt bad for a bit. My BIL probably felt the worst but nothing bad. As mentioned above it’s a FB and Twitter world so the side effects drown out the rest.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Sadly, it's the latter

Agree, but we are closing in on 50% and we haven’t been at this too terribly long.  Yes, it would be nice if people would go ahead quickly but we all know that there are people that will delay for whatever reason.  More kids will be eligible soon.  We need to focus more on education and incentives - I think we’ll get that number up to 65-70 by end of summer.  Will that be enough to really make the numbers go down is the question.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You only hear about the people who have side effects. My wife, oldest son and I had a little general soreness, maybe a little bit tired and definitely more arm soreness but that’s it with Moderna. We never had COVID and maybe we would have been asymptomatic if we got it. Who knows but I know a bunch of people who had very mild, if any reactions after the second shot. Heck, my parents and sister had Pfizer and only my mom felt bad for a bit. My BIL probably felt the worst but nothing bad. As mentioned above it’s a FB and Twitter world so the side effects drown out the rest.

:goodposting: I expected way more with the 2nd Pfizer shot than what I experienced. No complaints whatsoever.

13 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Sounds like the FDA might be approving the Pfizer vaccine for 12-15 year olds sometime next week

Can’t wait to get my 12 year old vaccinated. We have trips planned for August and November and it would feel great knowing that we’re all vaccinated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:52 AM, GroveDiesel said:

Can’t wait to get my 12 year old vaccinated. We have trips planned for August and November and it would feel great knowing that we’re all vaccinated.

This is where I'm at. Have a 14 and 11 year old and I am done with restrictions and would love to be doing everything I can to open the country fully.

However, my wife did not get the shot when she was eligible. And I don't know how it's going to go when the kids can get it if I'm going to be able to talk her into having them get it. I think she will get it soon enough, but she won't give me a straight answer as to why she didn't get it. I think she knows it's foolish but has just some emotions around the whole topic.  She does have some hypochondriac like tendancies around diseases and is very uptight about the whole thing.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:34 AM, AAABatteries said:

Agree, but we are closing in on 50% and we haven’t been at this too terribly long.  Yes, it would be nice if people would go ahead quickly but we all know that there are people that will delay for whatever reason.  More kids will be eligible soon.  We need to focus more on education and incentives - I think we’ll get that number up to 65-70 by end of summer.  Will that be enough to really make the numbers go down is the question.  

I forget exactly where, but there's a bar in NJ that's offering a free beer with getting the vaccine.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:34 AM, AAABatteries said:

I think we’ll get that number up to 65-70 by end of summer.  Will that be enough to really make the numbers go down is the question.  

The vaccination rates in different parts of the country are wildly different.    My expectation is that the numbers will drop way down in places like New England that have high vaccination rates, but not as much in places like the Southeast where vaccination rates are low.  So I guess overall the numbers should go down, but even if we hit 65% as a nation, there will still be parts of the country languishing at 40%, while others are closer to 90%.

Maybe as stories pile up of senseless deaths of people who could easily have been vaccinated, resistance will drop.

At this point anyone over 18 who dies of Covid is an easily preventable death. Maybe some long haulers in current daily numbers but most deaths from infection could be prevented at this point. Just tragic in a sense that last years deaths weren't due to the refusal to jump on the lifeboat. The vaccines are working beyond any realistic expectations. 

• Like 4

:(

Woman I work with recently came down with covid. Her 11 year old son and ex-husband also came down with it. The dad passed away yesterday. He was scheduled to get his vaccine and came down with it before he was able to get it. Now the little guy has no father. Dad was 41 with no underlying health conditions. 

• Sad 12

7 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Maybe as stories pile up of senseless deaths of people who could easily have been vaccinated, resistance will drop.

At this point anyone over 18 who dies of Covid is an easily preventable death. Maybe some long haulers in current daily numbers but most deaths from infection could be prevented at this point. Just tragic in a sense that last years deaths weren't due to the refusal to jump on the lifeboat. The vaccines are working beyond any realistic expectations. 

Not a perfect analogy by any stretch but people refusing to get vaccinated reminds me of folks who refuse to wear a seat belt.  Sure, you probably aren’t going to die riding in the car but why take that chance.

*And yes, I realize there’s some people who can’t get vaccinated and there’s basically nobody who can’t wear a seatbelt.

• Like 1

It really is amazing how the pause in J&J vaccine impacted vaccinations. When I made my appointment 4+ weeks ago, Mrs. O and I were lucky to get an appointment in an adjacent county. Now there's availability right up the street. It sucks that we have to learn everything the hard way.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, Osaurus said:

:goodposting: I expected way more with the 2nd Pfizer shot than what I experienced. No complaints whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I’m sure that scared off people from their second shots. Completely dumb, but lots of people are selfish and don’t see the big picture. So frustrating that some of the same people who complained about missing sports and not going to school 5 days a week also won’t consider vaccines for themselves and their eligible kids. If you want everything back to normal then do your part to help that happen.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

saw on my local news that the City of Philadelphia is only 33% vaccinated..  even with all of the outreach to poor areas-  this is going to be an issue:no:

In a lot of places, it's going to have to basically be like the ice-cream truck working its way through neighborhoods -- and it will take dozens of passes. Door-to-door efforts started up in New Orleans in recent weeks, but it's not really a city-wide coordinated effort yet -- just single providers making nonce decisions to go walking rounds door-to-door, syringes in hand.

44 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

It really is amazing how the pause in J&J vaccine impacted vaccinations. When I made my appointment 4+ weeks ago, Mrs. O and I were lucky to get an appointment in an adjacent county. Now there's availability right up the street. It sucks that we have to learn everything the hard way.

The infuriating thing is that we all pointed our fingers at the EU and laughed when they made this stupid mistake.  Then our own regulators turned around and did the exact same thing.

At the next confirmation hearing for the CDC director, the first question asked should be "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump off the bridge too."  We have way too many bridge-jumpers at the CDC and FDA.

Those waiting on 12-15yo shots, what hypothetically is going to happen here?  Are they going to push them to special sites because the dose is different?  Or will they be able to go anywhere that (Pfizer only?) is available?

31 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Those waiting on 12-15yo shots, what hypothetically is going to happen here?  Are they going to push them to special sites because the dose is different?  Or will they be able to go anywhere that (Pfizer only?) is available?

They just draw a different amount out of the vial.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, culdeus said:

The latter. My expectation is that they will be able to receive them at the exact same places as usual.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, greedygoat said:

I was scheduled for my 1st vaccine shot at 10:45am on 4/7/21.

Unfortunately, I tested positive at 2:00pm on 4/6/21.

Will now have to wait 90 days before I can reschedule.

Why? Did you have plasma treatment?

It's only 90 days if you were treated with monoclonal antibodies or plasma.

It should only be 14 days after you isolated and/or negative

Edited by belljr

35 minutes ago, belljr said:

Yes, I received the plasma treatment while in the hospital and it literally saved my life.

I was batting a fever at home for 10 days that ranged from 99.7-103.6.  My doctor told me to "suck it up" and treat it with Tylenol and Advil.  Well, the 11th day I woke up and went to the bathroom.  By the time I got back to my bed I could not breathe.  It was like breathing through a Big Gulp straw your whole life and then being switched over to a bent coffee stirrer.  Wife called the doctor and he said to call an ambulance immediately.

Once I got to the ER they did a chest X-ray which showed nothing.  After begging for a Cat-scan of my chest it came back and showed that I also had pneumonia.  After a couple days in the hospital, they gave me the plasma treatment and I was back to normal within 24 hours with no symptoms.

• Love 3

4 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Not a perfect analogy by any stretch but people refusing to get vaccinated reminds me of folks who refuse to wear a seat belt.  Sure, you probably aren’t going to die riding in the car but why take that chance.

Best analogy for me is a highway and mix of sober/intoxicated drivers (who pose risks to themselves and others on the road). Vax provides an off ramp to a safe parallel highway. Personally, I'm getting myself and my family on that parallel highway. Anyone who doesn't take the off ramp needs to deal with nature and odds, and I guess that is their choice to live with. My reaction to reading future 'accident reports' will be 'it's a shame they made the poor decision to stay on that highway.'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greedygoat said:

Yes, I received the plasma treatment while in the hospital and it literally saved my life.

I was batting a fever at home for 10 days that ranged from 99.7-103.6.  My doctor told me to "suck it up" and treat it with Tylenol and Advil.  Well, the 11th day I woke up and went to the bathroom.  By the time I got back to my bed I could not breathe.  It was like breathing through a Big Gulp straw your whole life and then being switched over to a bent coffee stirrer.  Wife called the doctor and he said to call an ambulance immediately.

Once I got to the ER they did a chest X-ray which showed nothing.  After begging for a Cat-scan of my chest it came back and showed that I also had pneumonia.  After a couple days in the hospital, they gave me the plasma treatment and I was back to normal within 24 hours with no symptoms.

Your doctor dropped the ball on this. Regeneron is literally running commercials promoting monoclonal antibodies (I realize you got plasma treatment) but the whole key is going to get those treatments as soon as diagnosed with COVID-19. And it obviously does save lives, the treatments are effective and the agencies should be screaming this from the mountaintop the same way they are promoting the vaccines. Really glad to hear that you are doing better.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, belljr said:

I had a similar deal.  Tested positive 4 days before my vax. There is so much info out there about what is the correct “reschedule” window.  (Recovered now btw - yeah!)

I was told by the hospital group running the vaccine site that I would need to wait until symptoms are gone and would have to provide a new negative test. 

Then, going down the innerweb rathole of “how long before I retest negative” gives all sorts of answers.  Some saying you can test positive for a month or two post recovery. 

If i retest and am still positive, i’ll get calls from health department.  People around me will technically have to answer “yes” to have been around someone testing positive.  It’s a mess. 

I don’t think its as easy to answer glibly as some make it out to be imo.

We’ve gone to walk-in doses but have essentially been doing that for awhile since no-shows have been so bad. We’ve been told that wasting doses is no longer an issue. It’s better open a vial and waste the rest of the doses rather than have someone walk away without the shot. Obviously we try avoid it at all costs but with vials that have 5, 6 or 10 doses, it’s tough to avoid. It’s depressing after all the hard work we did to avoid it for the first 3 months.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Biff84 said:

We’ve gone to walk-in doses but have essentially been doing that for awhile since no-shows have been so bad. We’ve been told that wasting doses is no longer an issue. It’s better open a vial and waste the rest of the doses rather than have someone walk away without the shot. Obviously we try avoid it at all costs but with vials that have 5, 6 or 10 doses, it’s tough to avoid. It’s depressing after all the hard work we did to avoid it for the first 3 months.

I'm assuming the pending approval of 12-15 year olds will help with that, at least temporarily. I've read that it's just a smaller dose using the same vials, is that accurate? Are you planning on administering to this age group in the very near future, or do you anticipate that being handled more by the mass vax sites in the beginning?

23 hours ago, Doug B said:

In a lot of places, it's going to have to basically be like the ice-cream truck working its way through neighborhoods -- and it will take dozens of passes. Door-to-door efforts started up in New Orleans in recent weeks, but it's not really a city-wide coordinated effort yet -- just single providers making nonce decisions to go walking rounds door-to-door, syringes in hand.

This would be a fantastic effort for some non-profits and famous athletes and music artists to team up on. I'm thinking food truck type rolling block parties that vaccinate and are a community building event. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, madshot31 said:

This would be a fantastic effort for some non-profits and famous athletes and music artists to team up on. I'm thinking food truck type rolling block parties that vaccinate and are a community building event

New Orleans is totally set up for this kind of thing to take off.

16 year old son just got his first Pfizer.  

Told him it would give him an extra 3-4 mph on his fastball. 

(Narrator: It won't)

Looking forward to Monday when I get #2. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, humpback said:

I'm assuming the pending approval of 12-15 year olds will help with that, at least temporarily. I've read that it's just a smaller dose using the same vials, is that accurate? Are you planning on administering to this age group in the very near future, or do you anticipate that being handled more by the mass vax sites in the beginning?

I’m actually not sure on the dosing yet if it’s less or the same dose but we do plan on doing those age groups as soon as we can. I’ve reached out to local high schools looking to setup clinics for when it gets approved or to at least let them know we have the Pfizer available.

• Thanks 2

On 5/5/2021 at 10:33 AM, Parrothead said:

saw on my local news that the City of Philadelphia is only 33% vaccinated..  even with all of the outreach to poor areas-  this is going to be an issue:no:

44% of those 16 and older have received at least 1 shot in the CIty of Philadelphia.  Chester County is over 60% I think.

Just got Pfizer number two, the first shot i didn't even notice but this one there was no misdirection and I saw the whole thing, pretty sure I tensed up because I felt it.  First shot, no symptoms except a slightly sore shoulder the next day.  This one... I'll update later once I know.  Havent had a drink all week and don't plan to tonight or tomorrow, have been loading up on vitamin c and eating healthier, and taking it easy tomorrow with no running or yard work planned until the weekend.  My wife is petrified of needles and is watching me like a hawk before she'll get hers so as much as I'd like to milk this, I'm hoping I can be her example of it's no big deal. 

• Like 2

My 17 yo received shot #2 yesterday.  No adverse reaction to either shots. :)

Hope it's true the Pfizer is approved for 12+ soon and as this whole thing has been psychological torture for my 14 yo.  Almost every one of his friends has had Covid and he has had to be tested 4 times this year so he could return to school. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

My 17 yo received shot #2 yesterday.  No adverse reaction to either shots. :)

Hope it's true the Pfizer is approved for 12+ soon and as this whole thing has been psychological torture for my 14 yo.  Almost every one of his friends has had Covid and he has had to be tested 4 times this year so he could return to school. 

How did Covid affect the friends?  My 14 year old is pretty blasé about getting the vaccine.   But she only knows a few young adults that have had it. And it was no big deal for them. 

Got Moderna #2 Monday. Not nearly the arm soreness I had with #1. Got the low grade fever much more quickly this time. That night. Woke up, grabbed a blanket, shivered a bit, passed out. Was gone by the next evening.

Just the right amount to know something was happening imo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Just got Pfizer number two, the first shot i didn't even notice but this one there was no misdirection and I saw the whole thing, pretty sure I tensed up because I felt it.  First shot, no symptoms except a slightly sore shoulder the next day.  This one... I'll update later once I know.  Havent had a drink all week and don't plan to tonight or tomorrow, have been loading up on vitamin c and eating healthier, and taking it easy tomorrow with no running or yard work planned until the weekend.  My wife is petrified of needles and is watching me like a hawk before she'll get hers so as much as I'd like to milk this, I'm hoping I can be her example of it's no big deal. 

Morning of the next day, I slept really poorly because of shoulder soreness.  I have full range of motion but if I try to lift my hand above even waist height it starts to hurt and to shoulder height it sucks.  No other symptoms yet, about 13 hours after the shot. If I had a physical labor job I would probably call in but I'm fine so far to type and do basic stuff around the house. 

I mentioned after my first jab that I made a mistake and got the shot in my left shoulder and I'm a left side sleeper. If you haven't gotten the shot yet consider your sleep when deciding which arm to get it in.

Shot #2 yesterday afternoon (Pfizer). 

Got a bit achy 4-5 hours post-shot, arm just a touch sore. Slept fine, woke up feeling probably 98% normal.

For me, both shots seemed to have similar effects as flu vaccinations (which is fantastic).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

How did Covid affect the friends?  My 14 year old is pretty blasé about getting the vaccine.   But she only knows a few young adults that have had it. And it was no big deal for them. 

Most of them was no big deal.  A couple were really seriously ill though.  They were all the smallest in stature although I never pointed that out to him since I too was concerned about them and that observation doesn't make anything better.   Thankfully they all recovered but I'm not sure if there have been any longer ramifications.  I do that we never have to remind our son to wear a mask and he wears it even when not required like playing sports outside.  Only a couple of other boys do as well and figure if he doesn't care and it gives him a sense of security, that's fine with me. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

For us, I know of about a dozen that I can think of that had it back during the spring/summer. Most were asymptomatic. A couple were down for a few days with flu-like symptoms. But there was one that, along with her mother, had worse effects and both are STILL having issues (the awful sensory taste/smell issues), almost a year later. That one incident out of my small anecdotal sample size is plenty enough for me to get my kids vaccinated. But to each their own. 

14 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

For us, I know of about a dozen that I can think of that had it back during the spring/summer. Most were asymptomatic. A couple were down for a few days with flu-like symptoms. But there was one that, along with her mother, had worse effects and both are STILL having issues (the awful sensory taste/smell issues), almost a year later. That one incident out of my small anecdotal sample size is plenty enough for me to get my kids vaccinated. But to each their own. 

no, i'm with you.  at the moment, i'm being respectful of my kids thought process.  :lmao:   humoring(and ridiculing) her tictok research, etc.  :rolleyes:

she'll be getting the vaccine, when available. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Till the sun burns out?  Why?  Not following

I'm more curious on the capability. Most appointments that are accessible screen for eligibility (i.e. I was not able to make appt for my 17 year old until >16 was opened by our governor). Is it different in your state? Could you register a 3 year old?

11 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

I'm more curious on the capability. Most appointments that are accessible screen for eligibility (i.e. I was not able to make appt for my 17 year old until >16 was opened by our governor). Is it different in your state? Could you register a 3 year old?

No idea.  Our doctor put out the information.  I'm in Texas if you need help finding a place for yours lmk.