What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (3 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Can we retire the sheep thing already? So dang dismissive and demeaning in basically any context. God forbid someone should go overboard (in some peoples opinion) trying to protect themselves and others. Especially when you consider 600K dead in this country. ESPECIALLY when it is a harmless act and of no consequence to others. Wear a mask to kingdom come for all I care. Power to you. 

No, but it's a moot point as they are looking forward to it. Interesting question though. 
Why not give them a choice?  Provide them with info to research and come to their own conclusion.  Be there for questions and have the prepare their reasons on why/why not.  If you don't agree you can still be the adult and make them do what you want but I think k it would be a good exercise in finding their way thru the muck to make their own decision.

Can we retire the sheep thing already? So dang dismissive and demeaning in basically any context. God forbid someone should go overboard (in some peoples opinion) trying to protect themselves and others. Especially when you consider 600K dead in this country. ESPECIALLY when it is a harmless act and of no consequence to others. Wear a mask to kingdom come for all I care. Power to you. 
Exactly. Some people are allergic to pollen, various pollutants, or whatever. Some don't want to be exposed to flu or colds or anything like that. Some don't want to be recognized if they go to a ballgame after calling in sick.
I swear these internet people are incapable of thinking and jump straight to toxic speech. 

No, but it's a moot point as they are looking forward to it. Interesting question though. 
My youngest is 19 so different situation but her mom is against the vaccine. I'm all for it and as of tomorrow will be fully vax'd up. Both my daughters asked my opinion on the matter and I told them why I was for it.

My oldest opted not to get it (she's a 3rd grade teacher that has been with full classrooms since August), she's not comfortable with the science or the ramifications of it. She's also been living with it on the front lines since almost the beginning so I think she's more comfortable just doing what she's been doing.

My youngest was torn because we believe when she had her vaccines when she was small, they jacked up her speech and it took a lot of work to get her back to "normal" so there was some trepidation. She's a sophomore in college and if she wants to go to in person class this coming school year, I'm pretty sure the university is requiring the vaccine. She is getting it and had her first shot last week. We talked about it and ultimately she came to the conclusion it's just the right thing to do. We did a virtual high five.

I'm good with whatever your decision is and I respect that. Just don't be judgmental of others and their choices. It's all good because there is no way you're going to get 100% vaccinated.

My youngest is 19 so different situation but her mom is against the vaccine. I'm all for it and as of tomorrow will be fully vax'd up. Both my daughters asked my opinion on the matter and I told them why I was for it.

My oldest opted not to get it (she's a 3rd grade teacher that has been with full classrooms since August), she's not comfortable with the science or the ramifications of it. She's also been living with it on the front lines since almost the beginning so I think she's more comfortable just doing what she's been doing.

My youngest was torn because we believe when she had her vaccines when she was small, they jacked up her speech and it took a lot of work to get her back to "normal" so there was some trepidation. She's a sophomore in college and if she wants to go to in person class this coming school year, I'm pretty sure the university is requiring the vaccine. She is getting it and had her first shot last week. We talked about it and ultimately she came to the conclusion it's just the right thing to do. We did a virtual high five.

I'm good with whatever your decision is and I respect that. Just don't be judgmental of others and their choices. It's all good because there is no way you're going to get 100% vaccinated.
Absolutely agree it's an individual's choice. These choices though have downstream consequences that can and do affect others when they fall into the realm of public health. For example, when it comes to a teacher refusing to get vaccinated for no specific special individual health reason, as a parent I have an issue with that. IMO a teacher has a special responsibility to the children in their classroom and should be vaccinated. I understand some people are uncomfortable with a new type of vaccine but the science is pretty straight forward in how it operates. It's also not exactly new as it has been in development for over 10 years. I respect their decision, but I don't agree with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely agree it's an individual's choice. These choices though have downstream consequences that can and do affect others when they fall into the realm of public health. For example, when it comes to a teacher refusing to get vaccinated for no specific special individual health reason, as a parent I have an issue with that. IMO a teacher has a special responsibility to the children in their classroom and should be vaccinated. I understand some people are uncomfortable with a new type of vaccine but the science is pretty straight forward in how it operates. It's also not exactly new as it has been in development for over 10 years. I respect their decision, but I don't agree with it.
I hear you and don't disagree but they aren't getting fired for not being vaccinated. The school board just voted to allow kids to go to school maskless but still requires the teachers to mask up.

It's messy and I feel like we've made this ridiculously more difficult than it needed to be but here we are.

My first dose of Moderna was nothing. The mildest of upper arm pain. Got out the loppers and trimmed tree branches. Drank some wine in the spirit of this thread. It was a good day. 

Second dose was 8 hours ago. I have done nothing but sleep on and off most of the day. My eyes are heavy as I type and try to watch NBA playoffs. And, and, no need for wine. I feel drugged and dopey and the upper arm is achy. Not much pain, more of a nuisance. But my daughter says I am acting drunk because I keep saying, "I got shot indy arm." But it's true. I did.

I guess headaches and flu like symptoms are in the hours ahead, but anyone else experience this "buzzed" state?

My first dose of Moderna was nothing. The mildest of upper arm pain. Got out the loppers and trimmed tree branches. Drank some wine in the spirit of this thread. It was a good day. 

Second dose was 8 hours ago. I have done nothing but sleep on and off most of the day. My eyes are heavy as I type and try to watch NBA playoffs. And, and, no need for wine. I feel drugged and dopey and the upper arm is achy. Not much pain, more of a nuisance. But my daughter says I am acting drunk because I keep saying, "I got shot indy arm." But it's true. I did.

I guess headaches and flu like symptoms are in the hours ahead, but anyone else experience this "buzzed" state?
https://external-preview.redd.it/5E6d5bVcVUm_gNJvvOr5zM894ClxELde4Mc3tj9oW1Y.jpg?auto=webp&s=762685773e8fda035d0d3e16a9ae1166f34aba09

I bet you wear a seatbelt!@!#!$!3$!#+

Nothing personal Beer and it pains me to say it, but I wouldn't be comfortable with someone not comfortable with the science behind the vaccine teaching my kid.  I've had this same discussion with my adult kid.  When in doubt, do what the smart people are doing.

Finally got an appointment for the JnJ jab on Monday.

Any tips?  Hydrated, tylenol, etc.   Searching the thread but that is always hit or miss.

Nothing personal Beer and it pains me to say it, but I wouldn't be comfortable with someone not comfortable with the science behind the vaccine teaching my kid.  I've had this same discussion with my adult kid.  When in doubt, do what the smart people are doing.
None taken boss, I know how I look at it and feel the same way regarding the vaccine. She's still an excellent teacher, just not comfortable with the vaccine right now. I'm fully vax'd as of today so we've had some discussions on the subject that have been interesting.

Any tips?  Hydrated, tylenol, etc.   Searching the thread but that is always hit or miss.
Pretty much that. You'll either have a reaction (flu like symptoms) or not. Kinda hit or miss and no real way to say who will have a reaction and who won't.

definitely hydrate, before and after.  no pain meds before.  only tylenol is recommended after.  don't rub your arm .  do move it about, that say to move your shoulder/arm in circles.

How are you today?

I had #2 Moderna this past Sunday.  Day of the shot it was a breeze besides arm soreness. Monday I was tired and arm hurt a lot around injection spot , I had a small fever and headache, arm felt like Tyson unloaded on it. Tuesday just had the arm soreness.

My wife who always has reactions to everything had no side effects 

How are you today?

I had #2 Moderna this past Sunday.  Day of the shot it was a breeze besides arm soreness. Monday I was tired and arm hurt a lot around injection spot , I had a small fever and headache, arm felt like Tyson unloaded on it. Tuesday just had the arm soreness.

My wife who always has reactions to everything had no side effects 
I'm exhausted. Mild arm pain. No headache or fever. Thanks for asking. I'll take a nap now. 

went out to a brewery to meet up with a friend of mine on Friday. first person from outside my family i've spoken to face to face since last March. 

nice and empty inside until the rain started. then people jammed in there elbow to elbow. not a mask in site. little kids in there. dogs in there. 

we got the #### out about 5 minutes later and called it a night.

grocery shopping on Saturday. 90%+ unmasked. seems like as soon as the local municipality dropped the mandatory requirement, everyone just said eff it immediately.

knowing this population, i'd bet 50% of those unmasked area also not vaccinated.  
I am probably in the way more careful crowd since the start (masks, curbside ordering, avoiding bad places, went through gallons of Purell, etc.) but man, that’s something I couldn’t have done. My boys were good and only hung out with the same set of friends but we still played sports and hung out with close friends. Definitely feel pretty lucky and damn glad we are all vaccinated except my youngest who’s had his first shot already.

Round 1 Pfizer.  Kicked my ###.     I had Covid so maybe my reaction was more severe.   Missed two days of work.  Muscle cramping, night sweats.      Not looking forward to my 2nd dose at all.
Two weeks later after the 1st shot.   Sorry haven't posted much.

Round 2 Pfizer.  Kicked my ### even more. Missed 3 days of work and the reaction to the 2nd shot was almost immediate!  Two hours after the shot I felt like crap.  High fever, cramping, night sweats.  No shortness of breath.  But I did end up with a fever blister on my lip.  Haven't had a fever blister in probably 20 years?    

Thank goodness that is mess is over with

Two weeks later after the 1st shot.   Sorry haven't posted much.

Round 2 Pfizer.  Kicked my ### even more. Missed 3 days of work and the reaction to the 2nd shot was almost immediate!  Two hours after the shot I felt like crap.  High fever, cramping, night sweats.  No shortness of breath.  But I did end up with a fever blister on my lip.  Haven't had a fever blister in probably 20 years?    

Thank goodness that is mess is over with
Herpes?

My youngest was torn because we believe when she had her vaccines when she was small, they jacked up her speech and it took a lot of work to get her back to "normal" so there was some trepidation.
Can you explain this a little more? Not sure I have ever heard this theory before. 

beer 30 said:
Nope that was it
And I can understand why she’s apprehensive - there was some misinformation and many doctors have no clue how to advise GBS patients.  My wife’s doctor told her he would get back to her at one point.  She’s fully vaccinated now but I think it’s smart for her to do her due diligence in this scenario.  

Yeah, that makes no sense. The 2nd shot isn’t something different. I have no clue why you’d do one shot and not the second. If they had no effects on the first shot, the second likely won’t do much at all, maybe some mild symptoms but you’ll sure have a much better chance at not getting COVID.

Yeah, that makes no sense. The 2nd shot isn’t something different. I have no clue why you’d do one shot and not the second. If they had no effects on the first shot, the second likely won’t do much at all, maybe some mild symptoms but you’ll sure have a much better chance at not getting COVID.
I dont disagree with you but the bolded is not true at all.

I think it’s majority true, especially if you continue the bold through the maybe mild symptoms. We get all the horrible anecdotes which are still gone in a few days in the worst cases (like herpes if you had CV before the vaccine). In my immediate family, there was a small amount of tiredness and two not feeling great. The main thing was a sore arm and more sore after the second shot. Unless you actually had CV, the second shot has, even in this thread, for the most part been not much to having a cold/mild flu for a day.

It’s a big problem that the misinformation of the second shot being awful has kept a ton of people from getting the second shot. It’s better than nothing but it’s going to hurt us trying to get rid of it completely.

The issue skipping shots is nobody will have data on how to manage that in a booster situation.  A situation I think we are headed for.

how so?  can you point me to some evidence of this?  my kid is scheduled for her 2nd shot next week, and i want to have as much information as possible, before that happens.  

in my first hand observations, i've known 1 person that had an adverse reaction to the 2nd shot.  and he merely felt like crap, bad flu like symptoms, for 24-36 hours.  everyone else, had the same reaction to both shots.  a sore arm.

how so?  can you point me to some evidence of this?  my kid is scheduled for her 2nd shot next week, and i want to have as much information as possible, before that happens.  

in my first hand observations, i've known 1 person that had an adverse reaction to the 2nd shot.  and he merely felt like crap, bad flu like symptoms, for 24-36 hours.  everyone else, had the same reaction to both shots.  a sore arm.
This was me after the second Moderna so while we don't know each other personally, you can update your total to two  :)

Just from tracking in this thread it seems the Moderna second shot has caused this reaction more often than the Pfizer, nothing scientific, just what's been posted in here. Still, the number of folks who have had little to no side effects from shot #2 is far greater than those of us who had issues with it. And yes, the issues are gone in 36hrs so even if you do have a problem, it's a very short, defined window.

There's 39 pages in this very thread talking about this.

The first shot is supposed to teach your body how to fight COVID and the 2nd shot is your immune system going to work.

It's so odd to me how everyone's body seems to react so differently to this virus.  Me, my wife and my son all got Covid from someone at my Mother-in-law's funeral last year (this is November 2020.)  At that time, my son barely had a reaction to it (sick for a day maybe), my wife was sick for 3 or 4 days and I was sick for 10 days solid (I mean it physically hurt to move so much I would have to psych myself up to pee for 2 or 3 hours.) So, I signed us all up (all three of us) to get a Covid vaccine shot back in March and we finally got our Pfizer shots this week.  Almost EXACTLY like when we all three got Covid back in November, my son had absolutely no side effects whatsoever.  My wife felt sick for a half a day.  I have been sick since Tuesday, I have no idea why but (for me) it's exactly like when I had Covid last fall.  Very, very painful (aches and pains in all my joints to the point of moving around hurts like hell) nausea, no appetite, splitting headache, cold sweat and shivering chills.  

Today is much better than Wednesday but, still, it just seems so damned odd to me that three of us have three different reactions to the same virus.  My sisters, Mom and brother have all had no reaction at all to the shot, it seems I'm the only lucky one to have had a reaction to it for some reason.  I don't know if it's because I have already had Covid and they did not or what the deal is but I just thought I would share my experience. 

I don't regret getting the vaccine at all, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, on the contrary, I'm a huge supporter of vaccines in general (personal opinion.)  I just thought I would pass along my personal, anecdotal experience.

I think it’s majority true, especially if you continue the bold through the maybe mild symptoms. We get all the horrible anecdotes which are still gone in a few days in the worst cases (like herpes if you had CV before the vaccine). In my immediate family, there was a small amount of tiredness and two not feeling great. The main thing was a sore arm and more sore after the second shot. Unless you actually had CV, the second shot has, even in this thread, for the most part been not much to having a cold/mild flu for a day.

It’s a big problem that the misinformation of the second shot being awful has kept a ton of people from getting the second shot. It’s better than nothing but it’s going to hurt us trying to get rid of it completely.
The part that's wrong is "if you dont have a reaction to the first shot you likely wont from the 2nd".The people that had bad reactions to the 2nd usually didnt have a reaction to the first.

This was me after the second Moderna so while we don't know each other personally, you can update your total to two  :)

Just from tracking in this thread it seems the Moderna second shot has caused this reaction more often than the Pfizer, nothing scientific, just what's been posted in here. Still, the number of folks who have had little to no side effects from shot #2 is far greater than those of us who had issues with it. And yes, the issues are gone in 36hrs so even if you do have a problem, it's a very short, defined window.
pretty sure he was moderna as well.

There's 39 pages in this very thread talking about this.

The first shot is supposed to teach your body how to fight COVID and the 2nd shot is your immune system going to work.
i've read the entire thread.  while i love me some fbg's, i don't get all my medical advice here.  most, but not all.

Users who are viewing this thread