Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

gianmarco

Covid vaccine  

438 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, jobarules said:

The part that's wrong is "if you dont have a reaction to the first shot you likely wont from the 2nd".The people that had bad reactions to the 2nd usually didnt have a reaction to the first.

Yea, this is what happened to me. Shot #1 - sore arm. Shot # 2 - full on flu-like for 48 hours

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jobarules said:

The part that's wrong is "if you dont have a reaction to the first shot you likely wont from the 2nd".The people that had bad reactions to the 2nd usually didnt have a reaction to the first.

And again, I keep saying majority or likely. The problem with this world is that one tweet or one person’s story becomes fact.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

how so?  can you point me to some evidence of this?  my kid is scheduled for her 2nd shot next week, and i want to have as much information as possible, before that happens.  

in my first hand observations, i've known 1 person that had an adverse reaction to the 2nd shot.  and he merely felt like crap, bad flu like symptoms, for 24-36 hours.  everyone else, had the same reaction to both shots.  a sore arm.

I know a bunch of people who had the vaccine and none of us had anything even close to a bad flu and almost all of us just had a sore arm or a little tired.

• Like 1

Well I decided that today is the day. They have free vaccine sites in the area and I chose to go get the J&J. It took 5 minutes to register, 3 minutes for the shot, and a 15 minute observation waiting period. My arm is a little sore but that's about it. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sullie said:

It's so odd to me how everyone's body seems to react so differently to this virus.  Me, my wife and my son all got Covid from someone at my Mother-in-law's funeral last year (this is November 2020.)  At that time, my son barely had a reaction to it (sick for a day maybe), my wife was sick for 3 or 4 days and I was sick for 10 days solid (I mean it physically hurt to move so much I would have to psych myself up to pee for 2 or 3 hours.) So, I signed us all up (all three of us) to get a Covid vaccine shot back in March and we finally got our Pfizer shots this week.  Almost EXACTLY like when we all three got Covid back in November, my son had absolutely no side effects whatsoever.  My wife felt sick for a half a day.  I have been sick since Tuesday, I have no idea why but (for me) it's exactly like when I had Covid last fall.  Very, very painful (aches and pains in all my joints to the point of moving around hurts like hell) nausea, no appetite, splitting headache, cold sweat and shivering chills.  

Today is much better than Wednesday but, still, it just seems so damned odd to me that three of us have three different reactions to the same virus.  My sisters, Mom and brother have all had no reaction at all to the shot, it seems I'm the only lucky one to have had a reaction to it for some reason.  I don't know if it's because I have already had Covid and they did not or what the deal is but I just thought I would share my experience. 

I don't regret getting the vaccine at all, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, on the contrary, I'm a huge supporter of vaccines in general (personal opinion.)  I just thought I would pass along my personal, anecdotal experience.

It's not odd at all.  Everyone reacts to lots of virus, colds, shots, etc differently.  Why should the shot be any different?  

9 minutes ago, Gally said:

It's not odd at all.  Everyone reacts to lots of virus, colds, shots, etc differently.  Why should the shot be any different?  

I stand here obviously embarrassed and fully corrected. Thank you.  You are absolutely 100% correct. I was, clearly, way out of line with that incoherent gibberish of a sentence. I can only hope that, somehow,some way, will see it in your heart to forgive me of my foolishness.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

5 minutes ago, Sullie said:

I stand here obviously embarrassed and fully corrected. Thank you.  You are absolutely 100% correct. I was, clearly, way out of line with that incoherent gibberish of a sentence. I can only hope that, somehow,some way, will see it in your heart to forgive me of my foolishness.

I am very happy you have found the error of your ways and are striving to improve your overall understanding of life in general.  It gives me hope for the future.  Thank you for your inner reflection to realize your imperfections and your willingness to better yourself.  Your are very welcome for this glimpse into reality and believe you are on your way to total enlightenment....

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

California lagged behind a bit when it came to the virus itself, and seems to be lagging behind as a result in terms of loosening mask restrictions.  I still have to wear one at Target, Smart & Final, to pick up my kids at school, ride in an Uber, etc.

I'm not anti-mask, but I got the vaccine to protect myself, and hoped that others would do the same so that we can get back to some level of normalcy.  

We'll likely have to wear masks at school pickup until the end of the school year... no biggie.

But I'm kinda sick of wearing one in Target.  If I don't need one while I eat at a restaurant, can't I just shop without one?  Bleh.

Get your vaccine and continue to wash your hands regularly.

6 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

California lagged behind a bit when it came to the virus itself, and seems to be lagging behind as a result in terms of loosening mask restrictions.  I still have to wear one at Target, Smart & Final, to pick up my kids at school, ride in an Uber, etc.

I'm not anti-mask, but I got the vaccine to protect myself, and hoped that others would do the same so that we can get back to some level of normalcy.  

We'll likely have to wear masks at school pickup until the end of the school year... no biggie.

But I'm kinda sick of wearing one in Target.  If I don't need one while I eat at a restaurant, can't I just shop without one?  Bleh.

Get your vaccine and continue to wash your hands regularly.

Been in Cali for the last couple of months. Got here the weekend they opened everything back up and have seen a progressive degradation of those wearing masks as the vaccine has rolled out. Still a lot of mask adherence but you notice a lot more people at Walmart without one now.

I'm good with wearing a mask although like you, I'm vax'd up. Not a big deal to me as I don't have to wear one all day everyday. For the 10-15 minutes I'm in a store I'm ok with it. If they require me to wear one at work all day that will probably be a point of discussion but we're still work from home for a while yet.

2 hours ago, beer 30 said:

Been in Cali for the last couple of months. Got here the weekend they opened everything back up and have seen a progressive degradation of those wearing masks as the vaccine has rolled out. Still a lot of mask adherence but you notice a lot more people at Walmart without one now.

I'm good with wearing a mask although like you, I'm vax'd up. Not a big deal to me as I don't have to wear one all day everyday. For the 10-15 minutes I'm in a store I'm ok with it. If they require me to wear one at work all day that will probably be a point of discussion but we're still work from home for a while yet.

Where in Cali are you at?  I am in Orange County... Huntington Beach specifically, and it's very "red", although most of the area is "blue-ish".  Maybe the Wal-Mart types (no offense at all, we shop there all the time) are not wearing masks, but I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in ages.  Target, though... Smart and Final?  Yup those places still have the "wear a mask" signs.   At some point, though, it should be OK for the masks to come off.  I've heard June 15th is the "big day".

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Where in Cali are you at?  I am in Orange County... Huntington Beach specifically, and it's very "red", although most of the area is "blue-ish".  Maybe the Wal-Mart types (no offense at all, we shop there all the time) are not wearing masks, but I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in ages.  Target, though... Smart and Final?  Yup those places still have the "wear a mask" signs.   At some point, though, it should be OK for the masks to come off.  I've heard June 15th is the "big day".

Temecula with all the 'necks and beautiful people who hang at the wineries, eclectic mix to be sure.

June 15th is the day Gavin has been talking about. I'm out on Sunday so good luck. Heading home to SC where they pretty much ignored the virus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jobarules said:

The first shot is supposed to teach your body how to fight COVID and the 2nd shot is your immune system going to work.

LOL wut?

On 5/26/2021 at 2:35 PM, HellToupee said:

How are you today?

I had #2 Moderna this past Sunday.  Day of the shot it was a breeze besides arm soreness. Monday I was tired and arm hurt a lot around injection spot , I had a small fever and headache, arm felt like Tyson unloaded on it. Tuesday just had the arm soreness.

My wife who always has reactions to everything had no side effects 

Good for both of you, HT 👍

Personally, I'm going to wait for a while and I don't really go anywhere or do activities where I think i truly need it. I'm healthy and most of my "activity" these days is outdoors. Even when I want a beer or something I have several spots where I can sit outdoors if I want. 

They lifted the mask order for basically everything here but grocery stores are still the creepiest places I have to go into, feel the same about malls and almost all indoor shopping. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

that does not say what you wrote.  :shrug: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consumer.healthday.com/amp/2-9-why-the-2nd-dose-of-your-covid-vaccine-is-more-likely-to-be-tougher-2650292602

By the time you get the second dose, your body has used the first dose to line up a host of immune cells that are ready to react to a COVID-19 infection, Poland said.

"When you get that first dose, consider it a training dose. You're training your body to recognize that this is a foreign invader and it looks like coronavirus," Poland said. "Now what happens? You get a second dose, and your immune system is shouting through that megaphone to say, 'OK, the foreign invader is here! It's here! It's here! Kill it!'"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jobarules said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consumer.healthday.com/amp/2-9-why-the-2nd-dose-of-your-covid-vaccine-is-more-likely-to-be-tougher-2650292602

By the time you get the second dose, your body has used the first dose to line up a host of immune cells that are ready to react to a COVID-19 infection, Poland said.

"When you get that first dose, consider it a training dose. You're training your body to recognize that this is a foreign invader and it looks like coronavirus," Poland said. "Now what happens? You get a second dose, and your immune system is shouting through that megaphone to say, 'OK, the foreign invader is here! It's here! It's here! Kill it!'"

Yeah that's what I was thinking, and was why I was kinda concerned that I had basically zero reaction to the 2nd shot. Oh, well. Have to assume it's working.

3 hours ago, In The Zone said:

Both the wife and I are experiencing some flu like symptoms. Hopefully this won't last long. I have to walk my stepdaughter down the aisle Sunday afternoon. 

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

My 2nd Moderna shot was on March 31. I developed headaches about 10 days later. They come and go randomly and feel like a tension headache. May go several hours without one or have several within 15 minutes. I haven't had issues with headaches in the past. Taking just one Motrin or Tylenol will relieve the pain for 4-7 hours. I always  take one right before bed and have no problems during the night. Try not to take anything during the day, but end up taking something about every other day. I Keep expecting them to diminish but they still haven't gone away..haven't gotten worse or better. I had no other symptoms after either the first or second shot. Off to the Dr next week.

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, VandyMan said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, and was why I was kinda concerned that I had basically zero reaction to the 2nd shot. Oh, well. Have to assume it's working.

Maybe everyone's immune system is different. Yours just took the "you're talking about practice?" approach and is holding back effort for game time.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, In The Zone said:

Both the wife and I are experiencing some flu like symptoms. Hopefully this won't last long. I have to walk my stepdaughter down the aisle Sunday afternoon. 

So my daughter.  Had vaccine shot 1, 2 weeks ago.   Wakes up Thursday the day before my son's wedding super congested.   So we scramble and go get a rapid test done and it comes back negative. So we still debate what to freaking do.  90% of the people at wedding were vaccinated.  She is in the wedding so now she's wearing a mask and staying away from people just for extra precautions.  I might get her tested again. It sucks..   good luck :)

Edited by belljr
  • Love 1

Wife received her second dose earlier. No side effects so far except being a bit crabby. Having our almost 2 and 4 grandkids for the 4th day in a row while mom and dad are celebrating their anniversary in Jamaica might be more of a factor in that though.  Those kids are friggin tiring.

Side effects from my personal experience giving all three vaccines and getting a ton of feedback:

1st dose Moderna/Pfizer: Most have very few side effects beyond a sore arm. Of the people who did get bad side effects, almost all of them said they have a history of COVID infection.

2nd dose Moderna: I’d put it around 30-40% get the flu-like symptoms for a couple of days.

2nd dose Pfizer: Maybe 25% get the flu-like symptom but not as bad a Moderna.

J&J: Hit or miss and haven’t had much feedback because there’s no second appointment.

In general the bad flu-like symptoms seem to be triggered by the presence of antibodies either from natural invention (1st shot) or immunization (2nd dose).

The actual incidence of anything happening with either dose is probably lower than it seems. If it hits you hard, you’re more likely to go tell everyone about it. Generally don’t see many people having a bad reaction on both doses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wife had her second shot yesterday. Was fine until about midnight. Got chills. Had like 3 comforters on and an electric blanket on the couch. Said her arm felt like it was going to fall off. Had a temp of 100.4 at like 2am. Only could sleep for like an hour at a time. 

This morning she is better. Tired from not sleeping well but no chills or temp. Slight headache when she woke up. Blamed me for getting her to "put the poison in her arm". 😄

I told her I haven't been able to force her to do anything in 20+ years. Don't try that crap now. 

She did not appreciate me telling her at 1am that I was kind of jealous. The symptoms are a sign that the vaccine was working and I didn't have any. 

• Laughing 2

12 minutes ago, top dog said:

Wife had her second shot yesterday. Was fine until about midnight. Got chills. Had like 3 comforters on and an electric blanket on the couch. Said her arm felt like it was going to fall off. Had a temp of 100.4 at like 2am. Only could sleep for like an hour at a time. 

This morning she is better. Tired from not sleeping well but no chills or temp. Slight headache when she woke up. Blamed me for getting her to "put the poison in her arm". 😄

I told her I haven't been able to force her to do anything in 20+ years. Don't try that crap now. 

She did not appreciate me telling her at 1am that I was kind of jealous. The symptoms are a sign that the vaccine was working and I didn't have any. 

Make her happy

Go get one of those off-the-menu cappuccino/capillary/Cappeletti  donuts from Dunkin'

• Laughing 3

13 hours ago, matuski said:

If there is a need for a 2nd shot for school or something I will, otherwise I don't see a need or reason.

Other than the vaccines being setup as two doses so that they are effective? Are you a scientist who knows that one shot works well enough? The reason is to actually be fully protected. It’s a amazing how scared people get over a chance of not feeling good for a little while versus getting COVID when you have a chance of long term issues and/or death. Two of my 3 boys are fully vaccinated now and the third will be in a few weeks. So far, a little sluggishness for a few hours. Well worth knowing they are fully vaccinated. I feel good doing our part to get this #### done with and having their next school year being normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, matuski said:

If there is a need for a 2nd shot for school or something I will, otherwise I don't see a need or reason.

You think they are just giving people 2 shots for no reason? 

15 hours ago, matuski said:

The reason that sounds the most plausible is where there is a booster needed having two prior shots may be a requirement, at least in the early phases.  They will likely not test a booster after one dose for awhile.  

I mean I suppose you could lie, to get some sort of variant booster still given what we know of the data taken here. 

Data I’ve seen says 1 dose is probably giving 60-70% immunity, second dose puts over 90%. Can’t think of any reason other than to try and prove your are so smart and unique to not get the 2nd shot. Which condom/birth control would you use, the one that’s 90+% effective or the one 60-70% effective? We are talking about free medication here. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Data I’ve seen says 1 dose is probably giving 60-70% immunity, second dose puts over 90%. Can’t think of any reason other than to try and prove your are so smart and unique to not get the 2nd shot. Which condom/birth control would you use, the one that’s 90+% effective or the one 60-70% effective? We are talking about free medication here. 

On top of the almost inconceivably low risk covid represents to them, they now (according to you) have 60-70% immunity.  Win win.

Not sure what about that requires a uniquely smart person to understand?

Edited by matuski

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

The reason that sounds the most plausible is where there is a booster needed having two prior shots may be a requirement, at least in the early phases.  They will likely not test a booster after one dose for awhile.  

I mean I suppose you could lie, to get some sort of variant booster still given what we know of the data taken here. 

If there is a requirement, they will get it.

Otherwise I am simply not concerned about it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Other than the vaccines being setup as two doses so that they are effective? Are you a scientist who knows that one shot works well enough? The reason is to actually be fully protected. It’s a amazing how scared people get over a chance of not feeling good for a little while versus getting COVID when you have a chance of long term issues and/or death. Two of my 3 boys are fully vaccinated now and the third will be in a few weeks. So far, a little sluggishness for a few hours. Well worth knowing they are fully vaccinated. I feel good doing our part to get this #### done with and having their next school year being normal.

The data suggests one dose is effective (2 doses more effective).  Effective against what is the question I asked myself after getting them the first... they are young and healthy, have no doubt had it already and repeatedly exposed. 

A .01% hospitalization rate.

You use the word scared - I simply am not when it comes to my kids.

I was among the earliest vaccinated myself (healthcare).  

Edited by matuski

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, matuski said:

On top of the almost inconceivably low risk covid represents to them, they now (according to you) have 60-70% immunity.  Win win.

Not sure what about that requires a uniquely smart person to understand?

it’s probably easier just to do it now. If you break from the schedule, you don’t know really know what that impact could be since all the future research will be based on people who had 2 doses with the scheduled 3-4 weeks between them. If someone waits 2 years between them or your kids decide as adults or teens that they want to be fully covered, it’s a little bit of uncharted water. Not that it’s dangerous but now it’s a bit uncertain if their vaccine will function the same as people who followed the prescribed plan. How long will the vaccine protection last? How is that impacted by only getting one shot? I agree your kids have a very very low risk anyway. I would be more concerned about possibilities of carrying the virus to pass onto others or to allow it to further mutate. It just seems weird to say this doesn’t pose any really risk to my kids but I will vaccinate them anyway- I just won’t follow the actual suggested plan for the vaccine. Seems like something you either do right or don’t do at all.

Edited by Ilov80s

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jobarules said:

Because its his kids and he should be able to do whatever he thinks is best for his kids without any reason to justify it to anyone.

never implied otherwise.  my kid is scheduled to get her second shot, next week.  i was simply curious.  thanks for the lecture.

Edited by DA RAIDERS
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

it’s probably easier just to do it now. If you break from the schedule, you don’t know really know what that impact could be since all the future research will be based on people who had 2 doses with the scheduled 3-4 weeks between them. If someone waits 2 years between them or your kids decide as adults or teens that they want to be fully covered, it’s a little bit of uncharted water. Not that it’s dangerous but now it’s a bit uncertain if their vaccine will function the same as people who followed the prescribed plan. How long will the vaccine protection last? How is that impacted by only getting one shot? I agree your kids have a very very low risk anyway. I would be more concerned about possibilities of carrying the virus to pass onto others or to allow it to further mutate. It just seems weird to say this doesn’t pose any really risk to my kids but I will vaccinate them anyway- I just won’t follow the actual suggested plan for the vaccine. Seems like something you either do right or don’t do at all.

Yea, I am just not this concerned about it.

In hindsight I would prob have waited until it was required for the first one.

26 minutes ago, matuski said:

Yea, I am just not this concerned about it.

In hindsight I would prob have waited until it was required for the first one.

I get that and it's fine but it really just makes sense to finish the process now that it's started. Just my 2 cents on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I get that and it's fine but it really just makes sense to finish the process now that it's started. Just my 2 cents on it. 

It's a really weird position to get a vaccine but not to follow the recommendations of the people that developed and tested that same vaccine.  It would be like telling my doctor, "yeah, I agree I need to treat my high blood pressure, but I'm going to only take half of the dose you prescribed because I feel like that's good enough."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, -fish- said:

It's a really weird position to get a vaccine but not to follow the recommendations of the people that developed and tested that same vaccine.  It would be like telling my doctor, "yeah, I agree I need to treat my high blood pressure, but I'm going to only take half of the dose you prescribed because I feel like that's good enough."

I'm good with it.

3 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

Culdeus mentioned in the other thread how desperate some people are to be a contrarian. So desperate that they'll willingly put their kids health at risk. :shrug:

But that is the thing right.. what risk are you referring to?  They are now 70% immune to the almost 0 risk they had in the first place?

Nothing to do with contrarian.. I don't see a need.

Edited by matuski

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

So you would you say that no children need a vaccine?  What age does that transition to, yes, that person should get a vaccine.  18? 25? 30?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1122354/covid-19-us-hospital-rate-by-age/

Over 18 it is no longer my choice as a parent.. but really I see no argument that people under any of these ages are at any real risk assuming healthy.

At 29 it is a .08% hospitalization rate.  :shrug:

Edited by matuski