What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I'm good with it.

But that is the thing right.. what risk are you referring to?  They are now 70% immune to the almost 0 risk they had in the first place?

Nothing to do with contrarian.. I don't see a need.
To me it's kind of like an antibiotic.  They get prescribed at a certain dose for a certain time period and always are told to finish the prescription even if you start feeling better.  The two shot vaccines seem to fall in line with that type thing.  You need to shots to fulfill the vaccine.  Why only get one?  It really seems like an odd line to draw in the sand.  

Or as Mr Myagi once said.  Karate do yes or Karate do no.  Karate do so so you get squished just like grape.  Vaccine do yes or Vaccine do no.  Vaccine do so so and ........  

To me it's kind of like an antibiotic.  They get prescribed at a certain dose for a certain time period and always are told to finish the prescription even if you start feeling better.  The two shot vaccines seem to fall in line with that type thing.  You need to shots to fulfill the vaccine.  Why only get one?  It really seems like an odd line to draw in the sand.  

Or as Mr Myagi once said.  Karate do yes or Karate do no.  Karate do so so you get squished just like grape.  Vaccine do yes or Vaccine do no.  Vaccine do so so and ........  
I get it.. I am actually more questioning why I even got my kids the first one.

I assumed it was going to be a requirement, now I am not so sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it.. I am actually more questioning why I even got my kids the first one.

I assumed it was going to be a requirement, now I am not so sure.
I took it as it was a requirement for the vaccine......meaning in order to get the full vaccination the process is two shots.  I would never have thought to just do one (I did hold off and really look into getting it at all but eventually decided to go ahead and do it - all that to say is I wasn't on board with rushing to get the vaccine right away without knowing more about it).  

Still have Zero interest in the vaccine.  I’m not at risk.  

if people want to lessen their risk, they can get the vaccine. 

Personally, I'd rather deal with a 1 in 3 chance of a few days of discomfort (made up this number) instead of a 1 in 1000 chance of hospitalization.
It isn't a 1 in 1000 chance of hospitalization.

It is a sub 1 in 1000 chance of hospitalization among those clinically testing positive.  So way way way less than 1 in 1000 chance.

Significantly lower when you take it under 18 (divide it by 8).

As a side note, my father-in-law came down with Shingles over the last few weeks.  I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy, so I got part one of that vaccine.  Most insurance will pay for it 100% if you are 50 or over.  90% effective...

As a side note, my father-in-law came down with Shingles over the last few weeks.  I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy, so I got part one of that vaccine.  Most insurance will pay for it 100% if you are 50 or over.  90% effective...
I just got over shingles (age 45), there were days I almost wished I was dead.  Dark dark kind of pain.

This is a vaccine that is a no brainer... the numbers speak for themselves.

It is a sub 1 in 1000 chance of hospitalization among those clinically testing positive.  So way way way less than 1 in 1000 chance.
True, that's only those that test positive.  Thoughts are that there are something like 3x that have contracted COVID but never test positive because they don't know they have contracted it.  But if you don't get a vaccine, there is a good chance you will contract COVID over your lifetime, particularly if there are many other that share the same thought process.

If I were 29 I would still prefer a 1 in 3 chance at some discomfort for a few days vs. a 1 in 3200 chance in hospitalization.  And those hospitalization odds keep increasing as I get older.

True, that's only those that test positive.  Thoughts are that there are something like 3x that have contracted COVID but never test positive because they don't know they have contracted it.  But if you don't get a vaccine, there is a good chance you will contract COVID over your lifetime, particularly if there are many other that share the same thought process.

If I were 29 I would still prefer a 1 in 3 chance at some discomfort for a few days vs. a 1 in 3200 chance in hospitalization.  And those hospitalization odds keep increasing as I get older.
When my kids are 29 they will have that choice. 

For now, as teenagers, I'm comfortable with their current status as partially immune to an almost non existent risk.

I will also head back tomorrow if the requirement to have it done are put in place.

I am neither worried about them getting covid, nor worried about the vaccine.... its whatever for now.

I just got over shingles (age 45), there were days I almost wished I was dead.  Dark dark kind of pain.

Yeah, I really didn’t know much about shingles until he caught it, but I’ve learned a lot since.  Glad you are better..

I got shingles after the first Moderna shot.   Reported side effect.   

When my kids are 29 they will have that choice. 

For now, as teenagers, I'm comfortable with their current status as partially immune to an almost non existent risk.

I will also head back tomorrow if the requirement to have it done are put in place.

I am neither worried about them getting covid, nor worried about the vaccine.... its whatever for now.
If its "whatever for now" why not just co.plete.the cycle as it was intended?  I still have no idea why you wouldn't complete the cycle for the vaccine.  They got one....why not get the other?  It just doesn't make sense not to do it if already received the first shot.

In the European Union, several member states, such as France, Italy, Poland, Latvia and Bulgaria, have introduced policies of mandatory vaccination for certain diseases, like measles and pertussis, but none has applied the same measure to fight COVID-19. At least, not yet.

"Nobody will be obliged to take the vaccination, it is a voluntary decision," German Chancellor Angela Merkel said last year.

Italy took the exceptional step to make coronavirus vaccination mandatory for all healthcare workers, including pharmacists, after discovering outbreaks inside hospitals that were linked to the refusal from medical staff to take the jab. The decree, passed by the cabinet of Prime Minister Mario Draghi, will suspend without pay those who refuse the inoculation.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/13/how-a-court-ruling-lays-the-ground-for-mandatory-covid-19-vaccination

Italy took the exceptional step to make coronavirus vaccination mandatory for all healthcare workers, including pharmacists, after discovering outbreaks inside hospitals that were linked to the refusal from medical staff to take the jab. The decree, passed by the cabinet of Prime Minister Mario Draghi, will suspend without pay those who refuse the inoculation.
And that requirement will lead to lower rates of outbreaks from medical facilities.  My wife works adjacent to a large hospital in a university building and she was required to get a yearly flu shot if she wanted to go onto campus.  I imagine that COVID vaccination will be similar, including any booster shots.

Brewer will unlock its biggest beer giveaway in history: when we reach the 70% milestone, America, your next round will be on us

June 2, 2021 – St. Louis, MO – Anheuser-Busch, the country’s leading brewer, today announced a national campaign with the White House to help meet President Biden’s goal of encouraging as many Americans as possible to get vaccinated against COVID-19 by July 4th. With many parts of the country in a pivotal transition phase, the brewer is doubling down on its pledge to use its unique capabilities and deep connection to consumers to lead a strong and safe recovery by encouraging consumers to get their vaccines with its biggest beer giveaway in history.

“At Anheuser-Busch, we are committed to supporting the safe and strong recovery of our nation and being able to be together again at the places and with the people we have missed so much. This commitment includes encouraging Americans to get vaccinated, and we are excited to buy Americans 21+ a round of beer when we reach the White House goal,” said Michel Doukeris, CEO, Anheuser-Busch. “We pride ourselves on stepping up both in times of need and in times of great celebration, and the past year has been no different. As we look ahead to brighter days with renewed optimism, we are proud to work alongside the White House to make a meaningful impact for our country, our communities and our consumers.”

As part of Anheuser-Busch’s “Let’s Grab A Beer” initiative aimed at playing an active role in the country’s recovery and making the moments that we come together over a beer even better, the brewer will offer its biggest beer giveaway ever to give eligible adults another reason to get their vaccines by July 4th. When the nation reaches the White House’s goal of 70% of adults partially vaccinated, Anheuser-Busch will buy America’s next round of beer, seltzer, non-alcoholic beverage or other A-B product* – inclusive of over 100 brands – to enjoy with family and friends. Adults 21+ will simply upload a picture of themselves in their favorite place to grab a beer, whether with friends at their favorite local bar and restaurant or with family in their very own backyard, at MyCooler.com/Beer to enter to receive a beer on A-B.

I'm 47. At what age can you get the shingles vaccine? I had chicken pox as a kid. That means I'm succeptible to shingles right? Do you have to wait until your older? Is it a one time shot or do you need boosters? Anyone?

I'm good with it.

But that is the thing right.. what risk are you referring to?  They are now 70% immune to the almost 0 risk they had in the first place?

Nothing to do with contrarian.. I don't see a need.
:lol:   You don't see the hypocrisy in this?

I'm 47. At what age can you get the shingles vaccine? I had chicken pox as a kid. That means I'm succeptible to shingles right? Do you have to wait until your older? Is it a one time shot or do you need boosters? Anyone?
I believe the stats are 1 in 3 people with chicken pox will get shingles without vaccine.  T

Yep I got both parts of the shingles vax as soon as I could.  Had shingles in the early oughts and it was a mfer!

Side effects were a little stronger than the ones I had from the covid vax but manageable.  would take 10 shots if that was what it would take to not get shingles again tbh.

-QG

In the European Union, several member states, such as France, Italy, Poland, Latvia and Bulgaria, have introduced policies of mandatory vaccination for certain diseases, like measles and pertussis, but none has applied the same measure to fight COVID-19. At least, not yet.

"Nobody will be obliged to take the vaccination, it is a voluntary decision," German Chancellor Angela Merkel said last year.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/13/how-a-court-ruling-lays-the-ground-for-mandatory-covid-19-vaccination
Go Italy.  Excellent decision.

I am beyond angry that my mom's nursing home doesn't have it mandatory - selfishness of these people basically leads to the cycle of someone tests positive and then nobody can visit their love ones for a couple weeks at the facility (which just happened again).  Planning to go down for a visit (500 mile trip) around the 4th and these people better have their crap together so I can visit my elderly mom for the first time in over a year and a half.  :hot:

matuski said:
Feel free to read posts.  Very clearly and simply explained.

eta - if something is confusing let me know where you need help 
I read all your posts.  I need no help in seeing the hypocrisy in the bolded statements.  

Wasn't planning on getting it but wife was recently diagnosed with cancer (ironic thing is her getting sick after getting J&J shot is what lead to early diagnosis of her disease) and her treatments will be compromising her immune system.  Doing anything I can to help her.  Received #1 of Moderna on Tuesday, sore arm is only issue.  Coworker mentioned he scheduled his for mid afternoon figuring that any symptoms would occur while he was asleep and he didn't have any.  So figured I would try that, not sure if just a coincidence or not, but worked for me.

I tried to help.  :shrug:

If you have a point to make, happy to discuss.
My point's pretty simple and I made it in my original response.  The bolded statements go against one another.

You seem like a pretty sharp guy so at this point I think you're just trying to be difficult.

My point's pretty simple and I made it in my original response.  The bolded statements go against one another.

You seem like a pretty sharp guy so at this point I think you're just trying to be difficult.
You asked me if I saw the hypocrisy (without pointing it out), I replied I did not.

I have had several back and forths with those who would do it differently... maybe think again on who might be the difficult party here?

Still happy to discuss if you are able to articulate what it is you are after here.

You asked me if I saw the hypocrisy (without pointing it out), I replied I did not.

I have had several back and forths with those who would do it differently... maybe think again on who might be the difficult party here?

Still happy to discuss if you are able to articulate what it is you are after here.
Lemme break out my crayons for you then.

You said you were forgoing the second shot for your kid(s).  Then you said that you weren't being contrarian.  

Going against the recommendations of those involved in all aspects of the vaccine say that it's a two-dose kinda thing.

So by you choosing to ignore that advice, you are.. in fact... wait for it... being contrarian.

Hence the hypocrisy.  

There ya go.

Judge Smails said:
In Boston today. Virtually zero masks except at hotel check in. Seemed 100% back
Was out and about in SC this weekend, only masks to be seen were on store employee’s. Might have seen 5 people outside of employee’s wearing one in Lowe’s/Home Depot/Walmart

Judge Smails said:
In Boston today. Virtually zero masks except at hotel check in. Seemed 100% back
Way different here, as people continue to wear masks indoors. Even outdoors, it's probably 50:50.

Then again, the state still has a mask mandate. Have they been lifted everywhere else in the US?

In NY the mask mandate was lifted about 3 weeks ago. For the 1st two and half weeks Id say 90% of people still wore masks. I dunno what happened this past week, maybe the hot weather but now Id say its closer 75% without masks.

Got off a welcome call for a guy just joined the company.  Since he's moderately local I invited him to the company headquarters to see the products, visit the lab, meet the people.  He said, "oh, I need to get a vaccine first, so I'll have to do that.  It'll be a few weeks till I can come in."

This wasn't some kid either.  Guy has 25+ years experience, so he's likely 50+.  What are you thinking, man?  Just not planning on getting one and now that the company you joined asked you to, you will do it?

Masks are not mandatory for those vaccinated, but you have to show proof of 2+ weeks past 2nd dose.

Got off a welcome call for a guy just joined the company.  Since he's moderately local I invited him to the company headquarters to see the products, visit the lab, meet the people.  He said, "oh, I need to get a vaccine first, so I'll have to do that.  It'll be a few weeks till I can come in."

This wasn't some kid either.  Guy has 25+ years experience, so he's likely 50+.  What are you thinking, man?  Just not planning on getting one and now that the company you joined asked you to, you will do it?

Masks are not mandatory for those vaccinated, but you have to show proof of 2+ weeks past 2nd dose.
Can he come with a mask but is choosing not to do that?

Can he come with a mask but is choosing not to do that?
Honestly, not sure what the rules are for new hires.  I didn't ask.  Didn't want to get into it.  I'm just glad he's going to get the jab.  Existing employees can work on campus with a mask indoors and out regardless of vaccine status.

Honestly, not sure what the rules are for new hires.  I didn't ask.  Didn't want to get into it.  I'm just glad he's going to get the jab.  Existing employees can work on campus with a mask indoors and out regardless of vaccine status.
Understood, just wasn’t sure what to make of your mask policy vs. you saying the company asked him to vax. 

Users who are viewing this thread