What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (6 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Well we reopen on the 15th, but the strangest mask policy ever. OHSA involved, more than CDC recommendations. Businesses wear masks until October unless workers 100% vaccinated. Something like that. 
Yea. I haven’t been paying too much attention since being vaccinated. I wear a mask when I go inside. No big deal to me.  I’m over it though. I forget the thing all the damn time. 

Yep I got both parts of the shingles vax as soon as I could.  Had shingles in the early oughts and it was a mfer!

Side effects were a little stronger than the ones I had from the covid vax but manageable.  would take 10 shots if that was what it would take to not get shingles again tbh.

-QG
Yup. My wife got shingles last May at the age of 41. She was absolutely miserable. Stupid insurance still wouldn’t pay for the vaccination after that, so we ponied up the few hundred bucks for her to get vaxed.

Still have Zero interest in the vaccine.  I’m not at risk. 

I am sure you are aware but getting vaccinated is also about helping others. 

I'm really torn here.  I think Trip should get vaccinated, I don't like to drink ####ty beer but I also never pass up free beer.  Can we get to heard immunity at 69.99%?

I'm also on board with the elimination of help yourself salad and buffet bars.  Those things are a breeding ground for germs.   Yecchh!
I've never had an issue with a well-kept buffet line or salad bar. Around here, the groceries brought back their salad bars about a month ago. There are some changes, though. Patrons have to put on disposable gloves before getting food. Also, the sneeze guards cover more surface area and have been lowered several inches -- it's somewhat of a PITA to grab things with tongs now.

Vaccinate or terminate: Houston Methodist hospital workers leave jobs behind over COVID vaccine requirement (KHOU-TV [CBS], Houston)

HOUSTON — The deadline has passed. Houston Methodist employees who have not gotten the COVID-19 vaccine were to be suspended at the end of the day Monday and later terminated.

Supporters joined the employees after their shift Monday at the Baytown campus as they left work together for the last time.

"I cried the whole way out," said Jennifer Bridges, the nurse now at the center of the lawsuit.

The hospital’s vaccine mandate is the focus of a lawsuit in federal court involving 117 healthcare workers and executives. It claims it’s illegal to force employees to participate in a vaccine clinical trial.

Should be interesting to see what happens with that. 

1) are they claiming that the current vaccines, since they are only EUA, not fully authorized yet are a "clinical trial?"

2) what would happen if an employee was infected and passed it on to a patient(s), then said patient(s) died as a result of that infection? I'm guessing it would open the hospital up for a lawsuit? IDK, maybe there's existing precedent for such (Covid or non-Covid)?

Healthcare workers refusing to be vaccinated is a thing of amazement to me. 
These healthcare workers showed up unvaccinated throughout the pandemic.  They understand better than most the risk (or the lack thereof).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'll bite. And I hope the answer is more than "muh freedoms".
These healthcare workers had no choice but to risk their lives with crappy PPE through the pandemic while people on these boards clutched their butt cheeks locked in their homes for 18 months. If they want to go on taking that risk by not getting vaccinated who are you to tell them otherwise? They've earned the right. 

These healthcare workers had no choice but to risk their lives with crappy PPE through the pandemic while people on these boards clutched their butt cheeks locked in their homes for 18 months. If they want to go on taking that risk by not getting vaccinated who are you to tell them otherwise? They've earned the right. 
Because their choice has consequences for others. As a healthcare worker you have an obligation to your patients to do no harm. This includes getting vaccinations for infectious viruses that you may spread to them. I work for a healthcare system, albeit in a support office role and at home. All of our employees are required to be vaccinated each season for the flu. I get the hesitancy to require a vaccine that is under emergency use without full approval yet. At the same time the science seems clear and has shown to be highly effective and safe with millions of doses given. I just don't see how a healthcare worker in good concious can refuse to get vaccinated, especially for those that may have had a front row seat to the devastation that this virus can do to the human body and it's collateral damage to families. It just makes no sense.

The same defense against wearing masks is just selfish and wrong. When making the choice to get vaxxed or wear a mask you should not only think about yourself but also about others and how your choices may affect them.

Ok I'll bite. And I hope the answer is more than "muh freedoms".
Vaccine hesitancy has been high among U.S. frontline health care workers: Surveys showed that nearly half remained unvaccinated as of mid-March, despite being among the first to become eligible for the shots in December. A March survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that health care workers had concerns about the vaccines’ newness and their possible side effects, both of which are common reasons for waiting to be vaccinated.
Nothing about freedom whatsoever.

I'd love to hear your side.  Do you have long term data on the vaccines?

There is just something in people that makes them actively avoid doing something to de risk themselves when there is no current risk.  It's probably a feature not a bug.  

wife had second Pfizer few days ago.  Second day, fever, nausea etc.  During the night she gets up and goes to the bathroom.  After a few minutes, I don't hear anything, I go in and she's sitting on the floor so dizzy she cannot stand.  After ten minutes I help her up and walking her back to bed, she faints.  Scared the crap out of me.  

wife had second Pfizer few days ago.  Second day, fever, nausea etc.  During the night she gets up and goes to the bathroom.  After a few minutes, I don't hear anything, I go in and she's sitting on the floor so dizzy she cannot stand.  After ten minutes I help her up and walking her back to bed, she faints.  Scared the crap out of me.  
Sounds like it could be blood pressure related. Might be good to get her checked out with the rare blood clot issues. 

There is just something in people that makes them actively avoid doing something to de risk themselves when there is no current risk.  It's probably a feature not a bug.  
I'm not involved in a car accident, so why would I wear a seatbelt? They make it so harrrrd to moooooove. 

I would assume if they had said they wouldn't wear PPE that they would have been fired too.  While I understand their opposition to being forced to take something to stay employed this is just an extension of that protection for their customers.  I imagine they could open themselves up to be sued if someone contracts Covid from an unvaccinated employee or to a lesser degree it may cause customers to go to other locations to avoid the hospital where workers aren't vaccinated - not to mention the optics of healthcare workers not getting vaccinated.  It hurts their business.

I would assume if they had said they wouldn't wear PPE that they would have been fired too.  While I understand their opposition to being forced to take something to stay employed this is just an extension of that protection for their customers.  I imagine they could open themselves up to be sued if someone contracts Covid from an unvaccinated employee or to a lesser degree it may cause customers to go to other locations to avoid the hospital where workers aren't vaccinated - not to mention the optics of healthcare workers not getting vaccinated.  It hurts their business.
Well PPE isnt something they are injecting into their bodies.

If we could keep our most recent pace (last couple of weeks - currently sitting around 52% with one shot) for the vaccination we could hit 70% nationwide before some schools are in session (about 80-90 days).  It would be a great goal to hit that 70% mark by school starting - we will still see regional numbers fluctuate.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned - we currently have what, about 10% or so that have had Covid and can't get the vaccine yet.  Hopefully a good percentage of those people will get it when eligible and we'll see a decent bump.  Assuming no variants put a dent in things the US is looking pretty good.

Well PPE isnt something they are injecting into their bodies.
I get that but all the other things we put in our body constantly without any idea what it is exactly just makes the resistance to the vaccine kind of weird. We are constantly breathing in and ingesting all kinds chemicals without question.

GF just had her 2nd Moderna shot this past weekend. 

sore arm and 99.4 fever for a couple hours. She wouldn't have known had I not checked 

Glad to have that behind us. Trips to Atlanta, Tampa, and possibly Boston and Mexico planned. 
If you want to grab a beer while in Tampa, let me know 

If you want to grab a beer while in Tampa, let me know 
Sounds good. Flying down with the GF on Thursday for a week. Will be tied up all weekend with Family stuff (Fathers day, brother coming over from Palm City) but may have some time the 21-23rd. Will be down in Bradenton area. 

Sounds good. Flying down with the GF on Thursday for a week. Will be tied up all weekend with Family stuff (Fathers day, brother coming over from Palm City) but may have some time the 21-23rd. Will be down in Bradenton area. 
Cool. I’m in Riverview so not too far up the road. 

This is why the conversation doesn't get started.

Misrepresenting those that you disagree with or don't understand makes for a disingenuous look.

This is why the conversation doesn't get started.

Misrepresenting those that you disagree with or don't understand makes for a disingenuous look.
Why?  It's probably some species self preservation kicking in.  If a lion was chasing your tribe and the only realistic approach was to jump off a cliff into a water of TBD depth, you chose to take your chances with the lion that maybe just wanted to lick you rather than eat you.  

Why?  It's probably some species self preservation kicking in.  If a lion was chasing your tribe and the only realistic approach was to jump off a cliff into a water of TBD depth, you chose to take your chances with the lion that maybe just wanted to lick you rather than eat you.  
Again - you don't seem genuine here.  This isn't how this goes logically.

More like you have already spent a year with the lion in your bed.  And now the lion isnt even in your bed, its been all but exterminated.

Again - you don't seem genuine here.  This isn't how this goes logically.

More like you have already spent a year with the lion in your bed.  And now the lion isnt even in your bed, its been all but exterminated.
How is it not genuine.  I got vaccinated for Polio, there hasn't been a case of Polio for ?decades? in the wild.  We know it's required that if we drop below a certain % it will spread, it's happened with Measles and all sorts of things like that which are not quite as deadly, but spread very fast.  While it (speaking of most anything) is not spreading people feel emboldened to not take the risk that the cure is worse than the disease.  This has to come from somewhere, likely some self preservationist instinct kicking in that has it's place sometimes.  But we are smarter now and know when to apply such things. 

Users who are viewing this thread