What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (6 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Our store finally gave the green light for people fully vaccinated to go maskless at work if they choose.  Predictably, there were already grumbling of "discrimination" and customers knowing who and who isn't vaccinated.  

Oh well - at least I am excited about going maskless tomorrow!  Now I actually have to start brushing my teeth and trimming my nose hairs again.  ;)  
My wife went through that. Polled everyone on who was vaxxed. If you refuse to answer, you get put in the non-vax group. Now some are mad because they are realizing by saying they weren’t vaccinated, they have to wear masks. Maybe it will incentivize some of them to get it. Though some of them are quite ridiculous. One guy’s girlfriend was hospitalized with it for a couple weeks. He still insists COVID not a big deal and is just a creation of the media because he doesn’t know anyone else that had it and his girlfriend didn’t die. 

Agreed 100%. That's one of the bad things about this kind of reporting. Now some will say "The vaccines cause heart problems!" as a blanket statement.
It looks like I'm going to cover the CDC hearing on this topic on Friday. I run the cardiology team for the news division of a medical publisher, and no one from the infectious disease team is available. Thing is, our target audience is doctors, who also are supposed to know that denominators matter, so I'm not going to belabor the point too much. 

It looks like I'm going to cover the CDC hearing on this topic on Friday. I run the cardiology team for the news division of a medical publisher, and no one from the infectious disease team is available. Thing is, our target audience is doctors, who also are supposed to know that denominators matter, so I'm not going to belabor the point too much. 
Most doctors aren’t statisticians.   I doubt that the majority of them truly understand why denominators matter.

KarmaPolice said:
Oh well - at least I am excited about going maskless tomorrow!  Now I actually have to start brushing my teeth and trimming my nose hairs again.  ;)  
My wife has been working with a newer lady in her office for over a year and just finally saw her face for the first time without a mask yesterday. She said it was shocking. Said she looked much better with a mask on.  :lmao:

@Nathan R. Jessep, @worrierking ... get in on this. Registration starts next Monday 6/21:

Louisiana's Shot At A Million is a rewards program offered by the Louisiana Department of Health's Bring Back Louisiana campaign to increase awareness of COVID vaccine availability and provide reliable efficacy and safety information.

Upon registration, residents ages 18 or older are automatically entered to win the weekly drawings for $100,000 and the grand prize of $1,000,000, and residents ages 12-17 who have gotten at least one dose of the vaccine are eligible to win one of nine $100,000 scholarships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delayed until next week due to the new Juneteenth holiday. 

Most doctors aren’t statisticians.   I doubt that the majority of them truly understand why denominators matter.
Every doctor should understand biostatistics, but some get too engrossed in their (usually procedural) specialty to devote much time/mental effort to anything but earning a living.

This got wrapped up faster than I thought it would (though there will likely be an appeal):

Judge rules in favor of a Houston hospital requiring employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19 (CNN, 6/13/2021)
The judge agreed with Houston Methodist Hospital. Hughes admonished Bridges' analogy that her threat of termination in this case was like "forced medical experimentation during the Holocaust."
They appear to have allowed the best and brightest represent them :lmao:

Terminalxylem said:
Every doctor should understand biostatistics, but some get too engrossed in their (usually procedural) specialty to devote much time/mental effort to anything but earning a living.
Oh come on.  "too engrossed" sounds like a euphemism for "does not give two ####s."

We are too, 14 year old is my youngest and he got his second shot last Monday. Not a single side affect, practiced lacrosse the next day. I never talked to him about side affects and other than him joking about turning into a zombie, he never said boo.
12 year old had less side effects with 2nd shot than first. Sore arm, mild fever, a bit of a headache. All pretty much cleared up after 48 hours, though said headache was coming back on a bit last night. First shot similar but lasted longer and their stomach bothered them for a few days.

Just got Moderna #2 an hour ago. Hopefully can avoid side effects. If there are long term side effects, I'm hoping it's growing a 3rd eye and telekinesis or some other cool super power/
Was unaware telekinesis was an option. All I got was flu-like symptoms. Definitely would have requested telekinesis had I known  :kicksrock:

Judge rules in favor of a Houston hospital requiring employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19 (CNN, 6/13/2021)

A judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Houston Methodist Hospital by employees who opposed a Covid-19 vaccine mandate as a condition of employment.

On Saturday, US District Court Judge Lynn Hughes ruled against Jennifer Bridges and 116 of her fellow Houston Methodist coworkers who sued to block the Covid-19 vaccination requirement. Houston Methodist Hospital moved to dismiss the case.

Bridges and her co-workers claimed the Covid-19 vaccines used in the US were "experimental and dangerous," and that it would be "wrongful" to be terminated for refusing the get vaccinated.

The privately run Houston Methodist Hospital countered, saying not only were Bridges' claims untrue, but that under Texas law, workers are protected from termination only if they refuse to commit a criminal act that carries criminal penalties.

Receiving a Covid-19 vaccine is not an illegal act, and it carries no criminal penalties.

The judge agreed with Houston Methodist Hospital. Hughes admonished Bridges' analogy that her threat of termination in this case was like "forced medical experimentation during the Holocaust."

Judge Hughes called that claim "reprehensible" and said Bridges was not being coerced.

"Methodist is trying to do their business of saving lives without giving them ... COVID-19," Hughes wrote in the dismissal of the lawsuit.

"It is a choice made to keep staff, patients, and their families safer. Bridges can freely choose to accept or refuse a COVID-19 vaccine; however if she refuses she will simply need to work somewhere else."

Expand  
Further developments at Houston Methodist -- of the 178 employees suspended on June 7th, 25 have since gotten vaccinated. For the remaining 153:

153 people resigned or were fired from a Texas hospital system after refusing to get COVID-19 vaccine (Yahoo News / Washington Post / Seattle Times, 6/22/2021)

Another health system in Pennsylvania cited Houston Methodist's model:

Hospitals across U.S. are requiring workers to get vaccinated against COVID-19 (CBS News)

... the University of Pennsylvania Health System is giving its roughly 44,000 workers until September 1 to be fully vaccinated, and won't hire unvaccinated people starting July 1, UPHS said. About 33,000 of its employees had already rolled up their sleeves for the shots as of late May, it added.
From the same CBS article:

Hundreds of thousands of medical workers across the U.S. are being told they must get vaccinated against COVID-19 to stay employed, with New York-Presbyterian — one of the country's largest hospital systems — the latest to announce the move.

New York-Presbyterian on Friday said its more than 48,000 employees and affiliated physicians need to be immunized against the coronavirus by September 1 as a condition of employment. Leaders of the medical system — 10 hospital campuses and more than 200 clinics — cast the new mandate as part of its mission of protecting patients. 

While Houston Methodist was first to make the move, a slew of other medical institutions are following suit. At least 274,000 health care workers in Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania face looming deadlines to get fully immunized against a virus that's killed nearly 600,000 Americans.

Further developments at Houston Methodist -- of the 178 employees suspended on June 7th, 25 have since gotten vaccinated. For the remaining 153:

153 people resigned or were fired from a Texas hospital system after refusing to get COVID-19 vaccine (Yahoo News / Washington Post / Seattle Times, 6/22/2021)

Another health system in Pennsylvania cited Houston Methodist's model:

Hospitals across U.S. are requiring workers to get vaccinated against COVID-19 (CBS News)

From the same CBS article:
We need universities to follow along. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also posted this in the vaccination thread in the political fourm. Found out today from a good friend of mine at work that his brother-in-law had COVID recently. Was pretty sick and ended up in the hosptial for a couple weeks. As he was getting ready to come out his girlfriend was going in with complications from it. She died. She was 47. 

Both unvaccinated. He was a big anti-covid vaccine guy and convinced her not to get it.  :(

We need universities to follow along. 
Our CEO has had it.  Any sales person on my team who isn't vaccinated will have to be by X date or lose their jobs.  Makes sense.  No hospitals (that's who we sell to) will let unvaccinated reps onsite, especially with the latest variants.  Can't meet with customers, can't do your jobs.  Ours is not a transactional, over phone/zoom type of business.  Bigger enterprise deals.  I support his stance.  Decisions have consequences.

Hopefully the Delta variant spreading gets people off there asses to realize they are screwing #### up by not getting vaccinated.

Still smoke 4 packs a day!

Still don't have lung cancer.
If there was any data to suggest somebody with my demographic was at risk I'd get it.

There is ample data that cigarette smoke is harmful for all demographics.

Fat people and pre-existing condition people and old people should get the vaccine, I am none of those.   

lol nah, just further accusations of fear mongering and politicization, oddly enough using the same arguments from a year ago as if nothing has changed since then 
Was going to post the same. I kinda think if you haven't gotten vaccinated yet you're probably not going to because of another variant. You're getting to down to the hardcore "will never get vax'd" crowd now. Shame it's 30% of the population.

If there was any data to suggest somebody with my demographic was at risk I'd get it.

Fat people and pre-existing condition people and old people should get the vaccine, I am none of those.   
So it's all about you, huh?  'Murica at its finest.

Here's a hint:  it's not just about you.

How do you feel about transmitting it to someone else?  If you don't care about that, how do you feel about business restrictions and a lockdown going back into effect because it's not contained again.

Certainly there is something that appeals to you about keeping this virus at bay.

The risk to you and your demographic, while small, is still higher than the risk of getting the vaccine.

And the potential worst case consequences of that risk is much, much higher if you get it badly than the worst case consequences from the vaccine.

The risk to you and your demographic, while small, is still higher than the risk of getting the vaccine.

And the potential worst case consequences of that risk is much, much higher if you get it badly than the worst case consequences from the vaccine.
Everyone will change their tune when they can't get into a concert or sporting event they want because they're not vaccinated.  Watch how quickly principles change.

It's not about principles for me.  It's a simple risk/reward assessment.
If that's the case, then you should be getting the vaccine. As I pointed out above, numbers are small on both sides. But numbers are smaller on the vaccine side 

If it's a simple risk/reward assessment, then vaccine is an easy choice. 

So either it's not or you have bad data guiding your decision.

If that's the case, then you should be getting the vaccine. As I pointed out above, numbers are small on both sides. But numbers are smaller on the vaccine side 

If it's a simple risk/reward assessment, then vaccine is an easy choice. 

So either it's not or you have bad data guiding your decision.
I believe the vaccine data is incomplete.  My general strategy was to wait as long as possible to ascertain any potential side effects from the vaccine.   No harm in waiting for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread