What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Everyone will change their tune when they can't get into a concert or sporting event they want because they're not vaccinated. 
I don't want to see any Constitutional rights curtailed. However, I'm very comfortable with all sorts of privileges and societal extras being denied people who willfully reject the vaccine (exceptions for the few thousand people nationwide with medical exemptions).

I believe the vaccine data is incomplete.  My general strategy was to wait as long as possible to ascertain any potential side effects from the vaccine.   No harm in waiting for me. 
You can believe that but it's not true. Thus me saying you have bad data.

There have been over 300 million vaccines given. 3 total deaths linked to blood clots from J&J. That's it. 

No matter your demographic, your risk of Covid is higher. And it's not close 

You can believe that but it's not true. Thus me saying you have bad data.

There have been over 300 million vaccines given. 3 total deaths linked to blood clots from J&J. That's it. 

No matter your demographic, your risk of Covid is higher. And it's not close 
Agree on the short term effects, there is ample data and I'm not concerned.

I'm more concerned with potential long term effects which can't possibly be known.

I don't want to see any Constitutional rights curtailed. However, I'm very comfortable with all sorts of privileges and societal extras being denied people who willfully reject the vaccine (exceptions for the few thousand people nationwide with medical exemptions).
Having not been vaccinated, I'm fine with the denial of privileges if it helps protect the old and the fat.

I'm more concerned with potential long term effects which can't possibly be known.
We have data on vaccines historically.

We have data on viruses historically.

Without question, the concern for long term issues is higher with the virus than it is with the vaccine. There simply isn't any data to demonstrate long term issues with vaccines.

We already know for sure Covid is causing longer-term problems. And it's not pretty. And it'll only get worse.

Again, the data is there.

Having not been vaccinated, I'm fine with the denial of privileges if it helps protect the old and the fat.
For example, driving an automobile is a privilege, not a right. If vaccination were required before renewing your driver's license, that would be fine by you?

Btw, you have a cell phone, right?

We don't have long term data on what cell phones might do to you. Same as we didn't when microwaves first came out.

We actually have a much better idea of the chance of a vaccine causing long term harm than we do for a new virus. 

In fact, it's the long term issues from Covid that would scare me much more than getting it now as a non-at-risk person.  That issue with vaccines is non existent and wouldn't/shouldn't worry me or you at all.

Please read this, GB. Besides the post, there are links at the bottom to anything they reference in the post. 

Should I be worried about potential long-term side effects of COVID-19 vaccines?

• Long-term effects of vaccines are exceedingly rare, and not biologically plausible for current COVID-19 vaccines.
  • Most side effects or adverse events happen within HOURS or DAYS.
  • Vaccines don’t stick around in your body like medications you take repeatedly.
  • The risk from natural infection is much higher than the risk of extremely rare side effects.
  • Besides the risk of short-term illness, hospitalization or death, remember the potential long-term effects of COVID infection which include: chronic fatigue, brain fog, blood clots, cardiac, lung and kidney damage.
  • The most common long-term effect of vaccines is immunity and protection against disease.

TripItUp said:

If your employer demanded a vaccine or be fired, what would you do?

TripItUp said:

And you aren’t concerned about the potential long term effects of getting covid?  In England they have found that a very large portion of people that got covid (even in its mild form) are showing a decrease in the grey matter of their brains in the frontal lobe.  Short term covid might be more immediately lethal to “the old and the fat” as you like to refer to them—but long term it’s looking like exposure to it could have moderate to severe ramifications to anyone who gets it.  There is a good chance that Covid is as much of a neurological disease as it is a respiratory one. 

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210618/Alarming-COVID-study-indicates-long-term-loss-of-gray-matter-and-other-brain-tissue.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very frustrating when your kids are to young to get vaccinated and you have a segment of this population that just won’t get vaccinated which runs across party lines.  Sadly this country appears to be broken. 

My buddy didn’t get the vaccine. Has a wife who got it and two kids. Got sick the other day and it’s covid. Even when he found out he got it he texted me saying his immune system would handle it blah blah (he’s extremely healthy) — but now he’s been down for 3 days and is in misery. Super high temp, wife considering taking him to the hospital, kids freaked out and now he can’t use his tickets to game 5 of the Cup Final tonight to watch the Bolts try to win the Cup. Also couldn’t help his wife prep for the tropical storm which rolled through here yesterday. 

Just a total idiot. I can’t stand how stupid he’s been about this. 

How so? Are you a scientist? I mean I don’t care if you get it or not but that statement is laughable. 
There are people, just like Cav in the other thread, that you won't be able to convince no matter what. It's really not worth the effort IMO to engage anymore because it just won't matter.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, would really suck to not see them raise the cup at home because you were stubborn or were all tHeRE's nOt EnoUgH DaTA!!

TripItUp said:
I believe the vaccine data is incomplete.  
How so? Are you a scientist? I mean I don’t care if you get it or not but that statement is laughable. 
The "No long term data!" card is commonly played, but because the term "long term" is undefined ... the proposition is not falsifiable.

- Got 12 months of data? Not yet "long term", don't trust it yet.
- Got 18 months of data? Not yet "long term", don't trust it yet.
- Got 24 months of data? Not yet "long term", don't trust it yet.
- Got 3 years of data? Not yet "long term", don't trust it yet.
... and so on.

In fact, here's how much time in data researchers have for the mRNA vaccines, for J&J, and for AstraZeneca):

- From the Phase 1 trial subjects -- 12-16 months
- From the Phase 2 & 3 trial subjects -- 8-12 months

TripItUp said:

I'm curious if there's anything that would put your mind at ease. Full FDA approval? No major side effects over a certain timeframe? Conversely, is there any level of trasmissibility and/or lethality in variants that could emerge that would tip the risk balance in favor of getting jabbed?

There are people, just like Cav in the other thread, that you won't be able to convince no matter what. It's really not worth the effort IMO to engage anymore because it just won't matter.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, would really suck to not see them raise the cup at home because you were stubborn or were all tHeRE's nOt EnoUgH DaTA!!
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes I guess. If the bolts win tonight he’s going to be seeing some pictures lol 

This whole thing of "Not enough data" morphing into "Not enough long term data" is going to impact the ability to start school normally.  

Nobody is ready to go to the <12s yet and school will likely start with only the >12s standing in the way of normalcy. 

Summer camps are getting decimated by delta and schools will follow.  

Only thing you can hope for is the "long term data" holdouts get the virus and promote herd immunity prior to the fall.  

This whole thing of "Not enough data" morphing into "Not enough long term data" is going to impact the ability to start school normally.  

Nobody is ready to go to the <12s yet and school will likely start with only the >12s standing in the way of normalcy. 

Only thing you can hope for is the "long term data" holdouts get the virus and promote herd immunity prior to the fall.  
Yea my kid is supposed to start in august. Preschool, 3.5 years old. Wife chose some Christian school across the street (I was fine with it, it’s supposed to be excellent) but now I’m worried they’ll all be covid deniers bc the Bible or whatever. We’ll see at the orientation. 

Oh man, I had a super frustrating conversation today.

Backstory: Even though I'm fully vaxxed, I got tested because I was exposed to someone who later tested positive and I subsequently had some minor cold symptoms. I wasn't particularly worried, but I'm traveling this weekend so I did it for peace of mind (the rapid test came back negative).

Anyway, I went to one of those pop-up kiosks near my house and was chatting with the person staffing it, African American woman probably in her 20s. I tell her the story, and say I'm just doing it to be sure, especially since I know someone who had a breakthrough infection. And this woman -- who I remind you is working at a Covid testing site -- says, "That's why I haven't gotten the vaccine yet, because what's the point if you can still get Covid?"  :wall:

I gave her my best pitch as to why she should get it, and she said she probably would eventually. I just hope she doesn't wait too long.

I am 100% pro-vax and will almost certainly get both of my <12 children shots as soon as they're eligible.

That said, I'm really not sure about the bolded. I was super skeptical of the return to in-person schooling last fall, but over time I became convinced that schools were not a major vector of transmission. Now it certainly is possible that delta is a game changer in terms of pediatric transmissibility, but at a minimum we can't say that with certainty, and based on what I've heard so far I'm skeptical.

I am worried that schools seem to be abandoning any attempt to enforce masking. I want my kids masked at school until they get their shots. 

I am 100% pro-vax and will almost certainly get both of my <12 children shots as soon as they're eligible.

That said, I'm really not sure about the bolded. I was super skeptical of the return to in-person schooling last fall, but over time I became convinced that schools were not a major vector of transmission. Now it certainly is possible that delta is a game changer in terms of pediatric transmissibility, but at a minimum we can't say that with certainty, and based on what I've heard so far I'm skeptical.

I am worried that schools seem to be abandoning any attempt to enforce masking. I want my kids masked at school until they get their shots. 
Uh, you been watching the news lately, or have kids?  Everyone and I mean everyone is coming back with delta stories.  It's just out of the news cycle mostly at this point for reasons I can't explain.  Here's the one that seems to be getting national traction, but the other big camps like Pine Cove are getting hammered also.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/health/article/Delta-variant-confirmed-at-Houston-area-church-16296602.php

Tons of reddit stories of people getting breakthrough infections. Im guessing the Delta variant. As more time passes I bet we hear the efficacy #s of the vaccine will start dropping dramatically. 95% always seemed way too unrealistic.

Tons of reddit stories of people getting breakthrough infections. Im guessing the Delta variant. As more time passes I bet we hear the efficacy #s of the vaccine will start dropping dramatically. 95% always seemed way too unrealistic.
95% was for the variants they were designed against.  What isn't clear about that?

Uh, you been watching the news lately, or have kids?  Everyone and I mean everyone is coming back with delta stories.  It's just out of the news cycle mostly at this point for reasons I can't explain.  Here's the one that seems to be getting national traction, but the other big camps like Pine Cove are getting hammered also.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/health/article/Delta-variant-confirmed-at-Houston-area-church-16296602.php
RSV is also making waves this summer.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS923US923&q=rsv&tbm=nws&source=univ&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipy9iyz9HxAhU8RjABHWFPCHMQt8YBegQIAhAD&biw=1536&bih=722&safe=active&ssui=on

I don't know what percentage of schools overall were meeting in person last year, but schools were not a major vector last year, except for small clusters. Mostly sports teams I think, from what I've heard and read anecdotally. Delta and whatever comes after it, however, I think stands a good chance to change that. Percentages of younger people in general are already up over the last few months, and I think that trend will only continue, as vaccination rates become stagnant. And I'm with ya on the masking concern, especially down here in the south.  I'm thankful to have both of my kids vaccinated. 

Was talking to a nurse friend yesterday and she said the same thing for this area. RSV is rampant right now. Several people at work have had cold symptoms the past couple of weeks, and I had a severe sore throat last week, and I rarely ever get sick. Now my daughter also has cold/allergy symptoms. Uncommon for the summer, to say the least. Thanks Covid!!

Yeah and it was said to be 88% effective against Delta. That #s will turn out to be unrealistic as well.
This is really a non-starter as a talking point.  If we could get the anti-vaxxers on board even 60% would wipe this out.  Quickly.  Even 40% might even work.  

Any and all flavors of the vax are more than effective to present the world with sterilizing immunity, if we could just get people to stop being such little #####es. 

Was talking to a nurse friend yesterday and she said the same thing for this area. RSV is rampant right now. Several people at work have had cold symptoms the past couple of weeks, and I had a severe sore throat last week, and I rarely ever get sick. Now my daughter also has cold/allergy symptoms. Uncommon for the summer, to say the least. Thanks Covid!!
We never see RSV during the summer. This is unheard of. Combined with virtually zero cases in the winter and things are completely reversed. It'll be interesting to see what happens this winter.

It is very frustrating when your kids are to young to get vaccinated and you have a segment of this population that just won’t get vaccinated which runs across party lines.  Sadly this country appears to be broken. 
I'm in the same boat and yes it's frustrating as heck.

The tipping point for vaccination rate will be full FDA approval. I think a lot of employers are itching to require vaccination and will do so once they have the extra backing of FDA approval. And I do think that many will end up getting it if it’s required. A decent chunk of the people coming in to get vaccinated recently have been people who really didn’t want it but signed up due to family or employers requiring them.

The tipping point for vaccination rate will be full FDA approval. I think a lot of employers are itching to require vaccination and will do so once they have the extra backing of FDA approval. And I do think that many will end up getting it if it’s required. A decent chunk of the people coming in to get vaccinated recently have been people who really didn’t want it but signed up due to family or employers requiring them.
Full approval is useless in this context.  I would hazard those waiting for it have very little idea what full approval even means, and how it is evaluated differently than the current use.

FDA has sat on full approval of new sunscreen ingredients for 20+ years while skin cancer spikes.  It's sort of their thing.  It's not a certainty they ever fully authorize any of the MRNA stuff in the next decade.  

my kid is at summer camp right now.  no decimation.  

school will open normally.  guaranteed.  especially private schools.

i've had both cars serviced at the dealer this week.  30% or so, still wearing masks.  when questioned, it's because they are not vaccinated.  maroons

i'm in CA for reference.

Full approval is useless in this context.  I would hazard those waiting for it have very little idea what full approval even means, and how it is evaluated differently than the current use.

FDA has sat on full approval of new sunscreen ingredients for 20+ years while skin cancer spikes.  It's sort of their thing.  It's not a certainty they ever fully authorize any of the MRNA stuff in the next decade.  
It’s not the individuals that I think are waiting on approval, it’s the employers before they start requiring it. I think that especially with large corporations, their legal team will want the approval before they put in a vaccination requirement.

I didn’t think many employers would require vaccination until the mask recommendations changed for vaccinated people. When they started letting vaccinated employees go maskless, I expected it to be on the honor system. While they haven’t asked for proof of vaccination, we are required to attest daily that we are vaccinated if we choose not to wear a mask and face disciplinary action if found to be lying. I view that as a precursor to a vaccine requirement in the future with FDA approval being the trigger event. I was surprised by it but I’ve heard other retailers doing something similar.

my kid is at summer camp right now.  no decimation.  

school will open normally.  guaranteed.  especially private schools.

i've had both cars serviced at the dealer this week.  30% or so, still wearing masks.  when questioned, it's because they are not vaccinated.  maroons

i'm in CA for reference.
I’m in AZ and I’d guess maybe 25% are wearing masks still but most of them are vaccinated. I just got back from a week in South Dakota and outside of the airport most probably haven’t seen a mask in months.

I’m in AZ and I’d guess maybe 25% are wearing masks still but most of them are vaccinated. I just got back from a week in South Dakota and outside of the airport most probably haven’t seen a mask in months.
i was referencing employees.  service techs, mechanics and what not.  not sure how the dealerships are enforcing it, but those not wearing masks, are not vaccinated.  or haven't proven to be vaccinated.  

in day to day life, masks are fast disappearing.  15-25% are wearing them.  and i'd guess at least half, or more, of those people are vaccinated and are wearing them out of fear/caution.  

expecting non vaccinated people to wear masks, is a fools errand.

Work in mid town Manhattan.  I'd say mask use is still north of 60% on the street. Only 2 non Vax folks (as far as I know, based on who is wearing masks in the office) our of over 50 people on my floor. Our building stopped requiring a mask in the lobby/elevator for vax'd folks (obviously just based on the honor system.  Nobody is checking cards) last week

I still throw one on when I stop into a store to grab lunch. Still wear it on the train (required) and subway (I guess technically not required but probably 95% of people are still doing it)

My brother (early 30's and healthy) isn't getting vax'd. Just feels he doesn't need it. I think it's a combo of laziness (he's a notorious procrastinator) and maybe a slight fear of needles. 

His office isn't reopening until September.  He claims if they require masks for non Vax people he'll get it. I've given up on trying to convince him to just do it now

I started a new job a month ago. We're still virtual, but the office will reopen next week on a hybrid basis (3 in, 2 remote). HR sent around a memo yesterday outlining how the return will work, and they're basically taking the cruise line approach: Mostly back to normal if you're vaxxed (no masks, no required testing or quarantining other than for international travel) and very intrusive if you're not. Only problem is they're going on the honor system. No idea if there are unvaxxed people on staff (it's a small office of about 30 people) but if you are, it seems like there would be a huge incentive to lie about it. At the same time, I get why they might not want to take that fight on of requiring proof.

I did appreciate that, in addition to these directives, they included an exhortation to get vaxxed and a fact sheet debunking common anti-vax rumors.

Anecdotally, I know at least one person who has not gotten vaxxed but says he will once it gets full FDA approval. I have no idea how much it will affect the overall numbers, but I don't think we should assume everyone who hasn't gotten the shot yet is a hardcore anti-vaxxer who is set in their ways. I suspect there are a lot of people like the woman I mentioned earlier in the thread, who says she knows she probably should get vaxxed and will eventually but who has some vague fears and has not gotten around to it yet. Every little nudge, including FDA approval, will help at the margins with people like that.

Here in Jersey, masks were at almost 0% two weeks ago in the grocery stores except for employees. Last weekend when I went I saw about 50% of the customers wearing them again. People are concerned about Delta

Sounds right. Also from AZ and currently in ND. Masks here in ND are few and far between. Case rates here are super low though, last I read around 11-12 new cases per day (7 day average) in the entire state.

The people who claim they're not getting the vaccine because they think the (completely speculative) risks of long-term side effects are greater than the (known) risks of getting Covid remind me of the Euro-leftists in the '90s protesting GMOs in food while smoking two packs a day
I'm totally stealing this analogy.  Perfect.

Have I mentioned recently that the FDA should be burned to the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread