What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (3 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I’m in AZ and I’d guess maybe 25% are wearing masks still but most of them are vaccinated. I just got back from a week in South Dakota and outside of the airport most probably haven’t seen a mask in months.
I live in South Dakota, and I can confirm that this is correct.  The last time I wore a mask was a couple of weeks ago when I went to the doctor for an annual check-up.  I honestly can't recall the last time I wore a mask before that.  Every once in a while I see some random person masked up at the grocery store or something, but masks are mostly nonexistent here.

I am 100% pro-vax and will almost certainly get both of my <12 children shots as soon as they're eligible.

That said, I'm really not sure about the bolded. I was super skeptical of the return to in-person schooling last fall, but over time I became convinced that schools were not a major vector of transmission. Now it certainly is possible that delta is a game changer in terms of pediatric transmissibility, but at a minimum we can't say that with certainty, and based on what I've heard so far I'm skeptical.

I am worried that schools seem to be abandoning any attempt to enforce masking. I want my kids masked at school until they get their shots. 
My district has masking as optional as of now for the fall and is going on the honor system for vaccinated teachers.  Not happy.  Literally the only segment of the population who has no choice but to no be vaxxed right now are the elementary students.  So why not go out of the way to protect them?  At least make the teachers wear masks who do not provide evidence of vaccination.  

I was at a hotel in central-ish PA for 2 nights last week.  Not one single staff person wore a mask.  I literally saw 3 others guests with masks on inside.  My wife and I are vaxxed and we only wore masks when inside.

I live in South Dakota, and I can confirm that this is correct.  The last time I wore a mask was a couple of weeks ago when I went to the doctor for an annual check-up.  I honestly can't recall the last time I wore a mask before that.  Every once in a while I see some random person masked up at the grocery store or something, but masks are mostly nonexistent here.
In the Miami area, a little more than half of the people, including staff, are still wearing masks inside grocery stores. The percentage is going down every week. I'm still wearing a mask, partly habit, also it's a nice Dolphins cloth mask my daughters gave me. Sometimes a conversation piece about Tua.

There is a summer virus going around, it affected 2 of my coworkers, and now my roommate who is working with kids at a summer camp, many who recentky had flu-like symptoms. At urgent care, she was negative for COVID (she had the Pfizer vaccine), strep, influenza, UTI. It was called a viral infection, non-specified. She had 102 fever, body aches, which responded to Tylenol. BTW, the urgent care visit was covered by  CARES, since she came in with COVID symptoms. 

Masks are good in the short-term for disease prevention, but will they compromise long-term immunity?

SoBeDad said:
In the Miami area, a little more than half of the people, including staff, are still wearing masks inside grocery stores. The percentage is going down every week. I'm still wearing a mask, partly habit, also it's a nice Dolphins cloth mask my daughters gave me. Sometimes a conversation piece about Tua.

There is a summer virus going around, it affected 2 of my coworkers, and now my roommate who is working with kids at a summer camp, many who recentky had flu-like symptoms. At urgent care, she was negative for COVID (she had the Pfizer vaccine), strep, influenza, UTI. It was called a viral infection, non-specified. She had 102 fever, body aches, which responded to Tylenol. BTW, the urgent care visit was covered by  CARES, since she came in with COVID symptoms. 

Masks are good in the short-term for disease prevention, but will they compromise long-term immunity?
RSV

It’s not the individuals that I think are waiting on approval, it’s the employers before they start requiring it. I think that especially with large corporations, their legal team will want the approval before they put in a vaccination requirement.

I didn’t think many employers would require vaccination until the mask recommendations changed for vaccinated people. When they started letting vaccinated employees go maskless, I expected it to be on the honor system. While they haven’t asked for proof of vaccination, we are required to attest daily that we are vaccinated if we choose not to wear a mask and face disciplinary action if found to be lying. I view that as a precursor to a vaccine requirement in the future with FDA approval being the trigger event. I was surprised by it but I’ve heard other retailers doing something similar.
We had to show our vaccination card in order to go maskless. This is a pretty big company. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I was at a hotel in central-ish PA for 2 nights last week.  Not one single staff person wore a mask.  I literally saw 3 others guests with masks on inside.  
Nice to see people free again.

I'm happy to see that 88% or so answered yes to some degree or that they already got covid. Why wouldn't you want to get the vaccine and be safer for yourself and everyone else?!?

Ah, the fat part of our country.  Our portions are just ridiculous. I took a trip to Tennessee and couldn't believe how they eat!  I also found that there was a high number of mentally challenged (in not sure what the PC term is now) people there. Is it an inbreeding issue?

The researchers found the issue is particularly evident in 11 Southern states–––Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas––where recruits were found to be "significantly less fit and/or more likely to become injured than recruits from other U.S. states."

The South has some of the highest obesity rates in the country. Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama all have adult obesity rates about 35 percent, placing them among the top 5 most obese states in the U.S. (West Virginia has the highest rate of adult obesity, at 37.7 percent), according to the State of Obesity, an annual report from non-profit Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask anybody in healthcare, the Covid wards of hospitals are grossly and disproportionately filled with overweight people.  

Ask anybody in healthcare, the Covid wards of hospitals are grossly and disproportionately filled with overweight people.  
You're still ignoring the whole conversation we had recently.

If it's a matter of simple risk vs reward, you should be signing up for your vaccination.

You already stated you agree short term risks favor getting the vaccine. And you've been given information that shows long term, it favors it even more.

So, just ignoring that and coming in here to keep saying the same thing about overweight people doesn't help anything.

It affects everyone differently. You don’t need to be old and fat for Covid to affect you. My wife’s old and fat uncle died of Covid, while some of the other old and fat people who contracted Covid while dealing with him showed no symptoms despite testing positive.

There have been two of my family members in their thirties contract Covid and both had a rough time.

One of them is a backpacking guide by profession and is one of the most physically fit people I know. She is 35, ran a 104 fever, had to be hospitalized for 3 days, and lost her taste and sense of smell. Seven months later they have not returned. 

The other is 36 years old, and while he isn’t as physically fit as her, he has no underlying health conditions. He mountain bikes and goes to the gym, but could still stand to lose 10 pounds. He ended up in the hospital on a ventilator, got discharged, then ended up back in the hospital when a super high fever returned. He ended up spending 7 days in the hospital.

I realize this is anecdotal and you’ll dismiss it, but you’re playing with fire. Driving around without a seatbelt is also perfectly safe until you get in an accident. I remember you being outspoken about shutdowns, but here you are doing nothing to prevent a second round. 

If it's a matter of simple risk vs reward, you should be signing up for your vaccination.
Not ignoring, just distracted.   

mRNA vaccines are relatively new technology...there is uknown risk there that many medical professionals have recognized. 

There is almost zero risk to me not getting the vaccine. 

And? What's your point? Why does this even matter? Can't go back in time and turn everyone into triathletes. The American health system, as a collective, has to play the cards dealt and not waste time wishing on impossible conditions.

Not ignoring, just distracted.   

mRNA vaccines are relatively new technology...there is uknown risk there that many medical professionals have recognized. 

There is almost zero risk to me not getting the vaccine. 
As pointed out already, the above is not true. You are not dealing with good data making that risk comparison.

There is less "almost zero risk" to you in getting the vaccine.

Again, I am playing the percentages.  

I'm in amazing shape, plenty of vitamin D, have been blessed with great health.   The percentages are grossly in my favor here.
Yea, you’re playing the percentages alright. You’re playing the 95% slot machines while us vaccinated folks are playing the 99% slots. 

I'm in great shape.   This virus is not a risk to me.

I don't know a single person like me that has had covid complications, and I know a helluva lot of people.
Now you know of one. Over on Saintsreport, it's been a weight many in the community carry ... that one 40-year-old guy who posted stridently against the vaccines and thought COVID was overblown and that his good health and his workouts would keep him safe ... well, the guy didn't make it in the end. The guy's wife -- from a decidedly anti-vax, COVID-is-the-flu part of Louisiana, posted this later (pg 9):

Thank you to everyone who sent their condolences. For those that are wondering, PJ had NO health issues and was a NON-smoker. He tested positive in a Saturday and by the following Saturday it completed drained his body.

Please get vaccinated! It can change anyone's life in a matter of days.
There's no doubt that being in shape gives you better odds, but it's not the same as being bulletproof.

37-year-old guy in the same Saintsreport thread (pg 10):

As far as covid goes, it's crazy how differently it affects people. My wife and I got it at the exact same time. She felt bad for three days and that was it. I felt the worst I've ever felt in my life, with her ultimately bringing me to the emergency room one morning. I didn't walk out of those doors until a week later, and was told if I had waited one more day that I wouldn't haven't made it. I'm in excellent health also.

Travel, live events, job mandates. We’ll see how long people stick to their beliefs. Already had a few of my most fervent “I’ll never get the vaccine” friends buckle. It’s easy to hold firm when you’re not missing out on anything or there is no consequence. It’s just a debate at that point. We’ll see how some of my work colleagues fare after the mandate given today. Must be fully vaccinated  by September 1 to stay employed here 

I have had freaky heart palpitations over the last couple weeks.

My primary doc (grain of salt) has seen an increase in these complaints lately from moderna vaccinated people and says his cardiologist is booked 6 weeks out for an echo. EKG came back normal but what the ####.

I took an appointment, but last 2 days have had zero occurences.  😐

You already stated you agree short term risks favor getting the vaccine. And you've been given information that shows long term, it favors it even more.

So, just ignoring that and coming in here to keep saying the same thing about overweight people doesn't help anything.
You don't know the long term risks of the vaccines, particularly the new tech mrna/pfizer.  How exactly are you weighing this?

Travel, live events, job mandates. We’ll see how long people stick to their beliefs. Already had a few of my most fervent “I’ll never get the vaccine” friends buckle. It’s easy to hold firm when you’re not missing out on anything or there is no consequence. It’s just a debate at that point. We’ll see how some of my work colleagues fare after the mandate given today. Must be fully vaccinated  by September 1 to stay employed here 
Oh they will buckle.. does that make it right?  Dogma says yes.....

I don't know a single person like me that has had covid complications, and I know a helluva lot of people.
Friend’s boss was a D1 soccer player. Still plays(ed) and was in excellent shape. Got covid and was in the hospital and on a ventilator. I forgot if in an induced coma or not. He still can barely walk stairs two months later. 

Oh they will buckle.. does that make it right?  Dogma says yes.....
Well. You’re in sales. Largest conference of the year 60,000 attendees in Vegas which mandates proof of vaccination for all attendees. No debate. So get vaccinated or you can’t represent the company and meet with prospects and customers. Huge wave of hospitals now mandating all employees be vaccinated plus any vendor who wants to come onsite. So if you want to have meetings, do demos, dinners, build relationships you have to be vaccinated. Not our rules. Our customers. 

So yeah I think it does make it right…

Well. You’re in sales. Largest conference of the year 60,000 attendees in Vegas which mandates proof of vaccination for all attendees. No debate. So get vaccinated or you can’t represent the company and meet with prospects and customers. Huge wave of hospitals now mandating all employees be vaccinated plus any vendor who wants to come onsite. So if you want to have meetings, do demos, dinners, build relationships you have to be vaccinated. Not our rules. Our customers. 

So yeah I think it does make it right…
Certainly.  I was very early with the vaccine - had to be to get into hospitals.

I still don't see the clinical or moral argument in favor of making young healthy people get the vaccine.  

So from a "customer is always right" stand point, sure... but we all know that cliche isn't true.

Certainly.  I was very early with the vaccine - had to be to get into hospitals.

I still don't see the clinical or moral argument in favor of making young healthy people get the vaccine.  

So from a "customer is always right" stand point, sure... but we all know that cliche isn't true.
No clinical or moral argument here. Just business 

It's crazy how it varies geographically, as everyone wears masks indoors in HI, and quite a few outdoors as well.

Do you give any consideration for any collective responsibility? This kind of thought process gives the virus hosts to spread throughout the population. Maybe you’re Superman but someone you may love or care about or dont even know could get it and not fare so well. Seems like a lot of “I, me, my”.

Doesn’t hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths give you some pause at least? You and people you love are benefitting indirectly from those who have taken the step. Why not return the favor? Is a scintilla of risk too much? 

Then there is my friend's husband.  He was not the bastion of health, but wasn't morbid either.  He was in the hospital for over 100 days and in and out of induced comas.  Multiple organ issues.  Lost 100 pounds.  His legs are like twigs.  Out of the wheelchair, but still using a cane.  Is about to have his colostomy bag removed after being out of the hospital for 8 months.

Then there is my friend's husband.  He was not the bastion of health, but wasn't morbid either.  He was in the hospital for over 100 days and in and out of induced comas.  Multiple organ issues.  Lost 100 pounds.  His legs are like twigs.  Out of the wheelchair, but still using a cane.  Is about to have his colostomy bag removed after being out of the hospital for 8 months.
People not getting the vaccine are legit crazy. 

Users who are viewing this thread