What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (1 Viewer)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Get vaccinated!

However, you still need to wear a mask, you still need to get tested, you still need to quarantine if positive, you still may get covid, and you still can spread covid.

GREAT JOB AMERICA!

Get vaccinated!

However, you still need to wear a mask, you still need to get tested, you still need to quarantine if positive, you still may get covid, and you still can spread covid.

GREAT JOB AMERICA!
This is such a weird post - were you expecting Covid vaccines to be perfect?  The main problem isn’t the vaccines, the main problem is the people that won’t get one.  Were we better off 6 months ago when this was raging, deaths were high and most things were shut down?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such a weird post - were you expecting Covid vaccines to be perfect?  The main problem isn’t the vaccines, the main problem is the people that won’t get one.  We’re we better off 6 months ago when this was raging, deaths were high and most things were shut down?
I was expecting as someone who got vaccinated my life returning to normalcy 4 months after getting the vaccine. Instead we are now back to masks, testing protocols, etc as if I never got the vaccine.

I was expecting as someone who got vaccinated my life returning to normalcy 4 months after getting the vaccine. Instead we are now back to masks, testing protocols, etc as if I never got the vaccine.
Blame the unvaccinated bro. Literally all their fault. Nothing really we can do about it. 

I truly believe if this happened in 1999 before Facebook and Twitter and everything else we’d be close to like 90% vaxxed if not more but we have all agreed to this social media disaster of a life and now are paying for it. Too many dumb people have access to too much misinformation. 

Still not getting how people aren't understanding how much worse off one is without the vaccine. It's putting everybody in danger when someone chooses not to get it. We are, as one poster just said, all in this together, and there's no getting around it. It's no longer "my body, my choice," it's "my choice, everybody else's body."

I think that the potential of not getting it and the reduction in harm faced would be enough satisfaction from getting it. We're not going back to normal with our vaccination rates and the Delta variant's virulence. 

That was a flawed expectation. It was a possibility, but not a foregone conclusion.

Be thankful you got it and will likely save you from potential bad outcomes if you were to catch Covid. Be hopeful more people get the vaccine so we can end up where your original expectation was sooner rather than later.

Blame the unvaccinated bro. Literally all their fault. Nothing really we can do about it. 

I truly believe if this happened in 1999 before Facebook and Twitter and everything else we’d be close to like 90% vaxxed if not more but we have all agreed to this social media disaster of a life and now are paying for it. Too many dumb people have access to too much misinformation. 
This is so accurate.  If all we had was MySpace the world would be much better right now.

Not sure why.  It's been clear since last April that there is a LARGE group of people in this country that is going to make that difficult to do.  Throw on top of that the gullibility of the average person and the motivations of the mainstream media they love to consume and it's really easy to see how we got where we are.

I get that. I don't even care about the blame game. But if I'm fully vaccinated and comfortable being around other people without a mask and comfortable returning to normalcy now I'm being told I cant.

I get that. I don't even care about the blame game. But if I'm fully vaccinated and comfortable being around other people without a mask and comfortable returning to normalcy now I'm being told I cant.
I don’t know about that. I went to a hockey game with 18,000 people a few weeks ago. Having a birthday party with 15 people Sunday. 

jobarules said:
Buckle up. It’s gonna get worse in a few months 

Capella said:
... we have all agreed to this social media disaster of a life and now are paying for it. Too many dumb people have access to too much misinformation.
QFT. Sig-worthy.

The icing on the cake? A ton of that misinformation leads right back to Russian and Chinese cyber farms. Collectively -- our nation is an easy target.

Capella said:
I don’t know about that. I went to a hockey game with 18,000 people a few weeks ago. Having a birthday party with 15 people Sunday. 
A few weeks ago being the key. Things are changing rapidly this week.

A few weeks ago being the key. Things are changing rapidly this week.

They are for sure - city of Atlanta has a new mask mandate so not sure if the Atlanta United matches I've been attending will require masks going forward.  If they do, I won't exactly be thrilled but I also understand that it's due to the case counts going back up.  We look as though we will go over 100k cases a day starting next week most likely.

Yep, lots of people choosing natural selection. 
I'm really leery of Darwin arguments being used to justify the notion that vaccines are the way to go. It seems rather inhumane, if you ask me. COVID could -- and has -- be used as an argument for Darwin because of comorbidities and the elderly. I'm not sure Darwin is the tack to take. 

It seems cruel. 

I'm really leery of Darwin arguments being used to justify the notion that vaccines are the way to go. It seems rather inhumane, if you ask me. COVID could -- and has -- be used as an argument for Darwin because of comorbidities and the elderly. I'm not sure Darwin is the tack to take. 

It seems cruel. 
But for those who have the ability to get vaccinated without health repercussions, and still choose to out of 'issues of freedom'? Thinking of themselves only? Seems appropriate. 

It seems cruel. 
I can understand your point in that context.

But for those who have the ability to get vaccinated without health repercussions, and still choose to out of 'issues of freedom'? Thinking of themselves only? Seems appropriate. 
Still seems harsh, even as frustrated as I am with the unvaccinated. Just not a route I'm personally going down. 

God-forbid if/when a new variant seriously affects our young, but I believe that is the only time in which opinions on vaccines will shift heavily towards the pro-vaccine mindset. I believe because this isn't currently harming our young, it isn't treated as serious as it should be. I hope that time never comes, but if it does, I expect to see a huge shift toward getting vaccines. 

jobarules said:
This is going to be one of those things that varies quite a bit from community to community.  At least in my corner of woods (blue-tinged island in an otherwise red state), everybody is basically just rolling along like the pandemic is over, and things are in fact fine.  Students come back to campus in a few weeks, and we know that at least half of them won't be vaccinated, so I do expect things to change in the next month or so, but my family and I are vaccinated anyway so what do I care.

God-forbid if/when a new variant seriously affects our young, but I believe that is the only time in which opinions on vaccines will shift heavily towards the pro-vaccine mindset. I believe because this isn't currently harming our young, it isn't treated as serious as it should be. I hope that time never comes, but if it does, I expect to see a huge shift toward getting vaccines. 

I could see a game theory exercise that shows at what point a virus becomes deadly enough to convince folks to get vaccinated without killing us all off.  I'm not sure where Covid fits in to that but it's possible that overall lives could have been saved if Covid had been a little more deadly than it is/has been so far.

I could see a game theory exercise ...
I didn't necessarily want to like-emoji this post because it could be read as kind of a misanthropic reaction ... but I've had similar thoughts.

Not misanthropic, just being real as I see it: Not every time, but quite often, with the earlier strains/variants ... people have generally not paid for irresponsible COVID behavior. Not making the point that "they should have paid, dam-mit!", just making the point that many people have, in fact, kind of skated through so far even when they've not taken COVID seriously. And these people who have skated through ... their experiences to date have probably reinforced any anti-masking/anti-vaccine stances. "I've been OK so far ... what's the big deal?"

I didn't necessarily want to like-emoji this post because it could be read as kind of a misanthropic reaction ... but I've had similar thoughts.

Not misanthropic, just being real as I see it: Not every time, but quite often, with the earlier strains/variants ... people have generally not paid for irresponsible COVID behavior. Not making the point that "they should have paid, dam-mit!", just making the point that many people have, in fact, kind of skated through so far even when they've not taken COVID seriously. And these people who have skated through ... their experiences to date have probably reinforced any anti-masking/anti-vaccine stances. "I've been OK so far ... what's the big deal?"

You owe me a like!!!!

ETA - I don't see that as misanthropic.  I think it's true even if we feel a little icky talking about it.  Many of us said way back in April of last year that many people won't take this seriously until it hits home for them.  That's just human nature.  And honestly, despite how strict I was, I personally would have been even more strict if I had more people I know get sick and/or die.  I think that's just human nature on some level.

I could see a game theory exercise that shows at what point a virus becomes deadly enough to convince folks to get vaccinated without killing us all off.  I'm not sure where Covid fits in to that but it's possible that overall lives could have been saved if Covid had been a little more deadly than it is/has been so far.

There is no doubt at all that if Covid was more deadly and hit a wider range of people (ages, healthy, etc) that it would be taken more seriously and people would have a different tune.  But isn't that the crux of this situation?  Many of the people that are foregoing the vaccine are doing so because Covid isn't so "deadly" and only affects old/damaged people and not healthy young people.  It's kind of a double edged sword here.  If it was worse then people would take it more serious.  Since it's not many people don't take it as seriously as others do.  

In my area I have seen virtually no affect from the virus.  Numbers go up and down and people have died.  I have friends that have gotten the virus with little to no symptoms or repercussions.  From a strict personal experience this seems like nothing more than any other typical virus.  People get sick for a while and then back to normal.  Some people in bad health or old that get it end up dying.  Same as other "normal viruses".  Now I didn't go out and be the first one to get the vaccine but after doing a bunch of research and coming to my own conclusion (I had worries initially about the quick release and lack of info about long term affects) but I was able to convince myself that those were minimal and got the vaccine.  It was basically a decision based on why not get it.  That being said I have never gotten a flu vaccine mainly because that seems like a guess each year and frankly I have never gotten a bad case of the flu and just didn't see the need for it.  

All that to say, there are many pockets around that don't see the direct virus affects and therefore see it like any other virus from their own personal experience.  If it was more like the virus in Outbreak I can guarantee everyone would take it more seriously.  

Many of the people that are foregoing the vaccine are doing so because Covid isn't so "deadly" and only affects old/damaged people and not healthy young people.
The problem now is that COVID is not standing still. Delta can and does affect healthy young people in greater numbers than previous strains & variants.

Yes, many young healthy people will still skate through Delta. But make no mistake: there's no guarantee that future variants won't be able to turn the screws even harder.

The problem now is that COVID is not standing still. Delta can and does affect healthy young people in greater numbers than previous strains & variants.

Yes, many young healthy people will still skate through Delta. But make no mistake: there's not guarantees that future variants won't be able to turn the screws even harder.

Agree completely.  I was just stating that the reason many don't take it as serious as other's is because of how they are personally affected.  In my area this has been like nothing more than the flu.  I have no doubt it can get worse (just like any other virus not held in check) but in my world it hasn't been a big issue.  Lucky me and I am sure that could change at any time.  

https://apple.news/ArAXdIeqbTc2a9VnCW3tSCQ

Once, at a grocery store, a woman told her she was nervous about getting the vaccine because of a rumor on the internet that it can make you magnetic. "I said, 'Do you really believe that?' And she said, 'Well, I'm not sure.' " Kellebrew recounts. So she found a magnet in the store and demonstrated on a person to whom she had just given the shot. "The magnet kept falling off her arm, and I said, 'Is that what you needed to see?' And she said, 'Yes. I think I'll get a shot.' " Kellebrew now travels with a magnet.

We never had a chance. We are the dumbest country. 

Capella said:
https://apple.news/ArAXdIeqbTc2a9VnCW3tSCQ

Once, at a grocery store, a woman told her she was nervous about getting the vaccine because of a rumor on the internet that it can make you magnetic. "I said, 'Do you really believe that?' And she said, 'Well, I'm not sure.' " Kellebrew recounts. So she found a magnet in the store and demonstrated on a person to whom she had just given the shot. "The magnet kept falling off her arm, and I said, 'Is that what you needed to see?' And she said, 'Yes. I think I'll get a shot.' " Kellebrew now travels with a magnet.

We never had a chance. We are the dumbest country. 
So many things about our country have been put on full blast the last 5 years. 

It seems cruel. 
Darwin/natural selection is not an ‘argument.’ 

Darwin/natural selection is not an ‘argument.’ 
You're reading what I wrote incorrectly, as is often the case in the PSF when people are making niggling points. I wrote that the current state of who the disease selects could be used as an argument for Darwinian selection in this particular instance, which we can't possibly know. 

Even if one were to accept that Darwin is infallible and points in time can tell us about eons of development

a) this could be a man-made disease
b) arguing that a moment in time is evidence of natural selection is erroneous

It's also cruel to invoke Darwin upon someone's death. It's gauche, at best. And I mean at best. Therefore, my hesitancy. 

You're reading what I wrote incorrectly, as is often the case in the PSF when people are making niggling points. I wrote that the current state of who the disease selects could be used as an argument for Darwinian selection in this particular instance, which we can't possibly know. 

Once again, though, you correct people and you do you. I find the people with the moxie to do it the most often wind up looking the stupidest on the board and have the lowest reading comprehension that there is. Enjoy! 
Wow. Niggling points? You may consider maybe 2-3 less snarky statements interacting over single sentence replies. It’s sort of ironic for one negging about PSF.

Wow. Niggling points? You may consider maybe 2-3 less snarky statements interacting over single sentence replies. It’s sort of ironic for one negging about PSF.
I edited my statement to better reflect what was I felt was an appropriate response and the way I really felt about Darwinism, but it was a pedantic and niggling point you were making, one that lacked reading comprehension. 

Allow me apologies over getting personal. It's often that I feel personally put-upon when I think people are misreading what I'm saying and then speak in declaratives when they've misunderstood what I'm saying. And misunderstood is the most charitable way to put it, but charity should be my name. 

I edited my statement to better reflect what was I felt was an appropriate response and the way I really felt about Darwinism, but it was a pedantic and niggling point you were making, one that lacked reading comprehension. 
It was not meant as a pedantic or niggling point. I don’t think it is, but ok. You said you were done with Darwin, and I’ll respect that.

It was not meant as a pedantic or niggling point. I don’t think it is, but ok. You said you were done with Darwin, and I’ll respect that.
I'm just reiterating in case you missed me edit, but please allow me to apologize for the tone in my response. That's not really how I want to work it. I'm just sensitive from the invective of the PSF. 

jobarules said:

Nobody is enforcing the mask thing.  Shift to the dark side and say #### it, make me.  

Users who are viewing this thread