Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

gianmarco

Covid vaccine  

461 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Pfizer booster on Tuesday in one arm, flu shot in the other.  Felt fine

You’re one brave dude. Booster alone took me out of commission for a good 12-18 hours. Couldn’t imagine being bold enough to mix and match. 

3 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Pfizer booster on Tuesday in one arm, flu shot in the other

Same for me earlier today, nothing so far

On 10/15/2021 at 6:29 PM, Penguin said:

Same for me earlier today, nothing so far

I’m 17 hours in since my booster and I feel pretty crappy.  Aches, slight headache and lethargic - been on the couch all day.  Really hoping by tomorrow morning I’ll be back to normal.  

6 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m 17 hours in since my booster and I feel pretty crappy.  Aches, slight headache and lethargic - been on the couch all day.  Really hoping by tomorrow morning I’ll be back to normal.  

funny thing is I got mild arm soreness after each of the first two Covid doses and nothing from last year's flu shot. Woke up today with minor soreness in the Covid arm (expected) but the Flu arm is sore as he11, worse than a tetanus shot. Super tender right now

Woke up this morning feeling great - only issue is arm slightly sore and I have a nasty nickel sized bruise at the injection point.  

So about a day for you? Modern or Pfizer, can’t remember which?

2 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

So about a day for you? Modern or Pfizer, can’t remember which?

Pfizer booster at lunch on Friday.  Felt fine until around 4:00 and just started feeling off and kind of achy.  All day yesterday felt like crap but not horrible.  Slight headache and body aches, tired and just didn’t feel good.  Was really crabby.  Feel good enough this morning to do a little bit of a workout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Vaccinated back in March. No interest in booster but considering flu shot. 

I figure next March they'll be telling everyone they have to get the full set again. 

I've gotten COVID, Flu and Shingles all in this calendar year.  Nothing more than a sore arm from any of them.

3 hours ago, JaxBill said:

I figure next March they'll be telling everyone they have to get the full set again. 

Out of curiosity why no booster?  Just thinking it won’t be that much more of a benefit?

Out of curiosity why no booster?  Just thinking it won’t be that much more of a benefit?

Basically.  I WFH. I generally avoid crowds.  Numbers in Florida are way down.  

They're saying flu shot may provide some covid relief. 

Why get the booster when a) it's undetermined whether necessary  and b) prospective employers might not give me "credit"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Why get the booster when a) it's undetermined whether necessary  and b) prospective employers might not give me "credit"

Well, it's kind of like everything else medically related. Right now it's only recommended for certain groups. If you don't fall in one of those groups, then yeah, no need to get it. If you do or if it changes in the future where it is recommended, then it would seem to make sense to do so.

If it is something where there is no clear recommendation and just a matter of preference based on personal risk, then yeah, then I can see going that route.

34 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

What do you mean by not being given “credit”?

10 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

What do you mean by not being given “credit”?

I'm an IT contractor with the government. I have already been asked by a prospective employer if I have been vaccinated (I have).

In a 2022 scenario where they expect employees to get vaccinated again, I can't imagine a waiver for a 2021 booster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

10 hours ago, JaxBill said:

I was end of April with moderna and not rushing for a booster. Already got my flu shot

• Thanks 1

I dont understand some of the comments around boosters and antibodies. We understand that boosters wont be a thing forever right?  The only reason for a booster now is to keep the body primed with antibodies while the virus spreads through civilization (even if not happening locally in the host). We are NOT getting boosters because the body somehow "forgets" how to make antibodies. 

30 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I dont understand some of the comments around boosters and antibodies. We understand that boosters wont be a thing forever right?  The only reason for a booster now is to keep the body primed with antibodies while the virus spreads through civilization (even if not happening locally in the host). We are NOT getting boosters because the body somehow "forgets" how to make antibodies. 

You mean in here or IRL?  I don’t think I’ve seen anybody say that in here but maybe I missed it.

11 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

You mean in here or IRL?  I don’t think I’ve seen anybody say that in here but maybe I missed it.

Both...and maybe I am worn down by the constant misinformation elsewhere and I am misreading some of this stuff.  The single thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is how badly our "medical professionals" have botched the messaging on the purpose of boosters.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Commish said:

I don't think that's really accurate.  My understanding is that we now know that we get a better immune response when we spread the mRNA doses out over a longer period.  What we're now calling a "booster" is really just the last dose of what will eventually become a normal vaccine regimen.

• Thanks 1

I had Moderna in April, 2nd at the beginning of May.  I'll get the booster at the recommended time which I think would be December or January.

I got the flu shot last week as it was recommended.

I already had both shingles shots 2 years ago and I believe the protection lasts about 5 so I'll get it again when recommended.

The key word here is that I do what is recommended by my doctor and medical experts, just like annual checkups, a colonoscopy every 5 years and going to the dentist every 6 months.

I realize a lot of people have a distrust of doctors but I don't want to find out that I have a disease that would have been curable had I caught it earlier.  An ounce of prevention and all that.

People that don't want to get the vaccines or boosters don't bother me.  It's their choice but I think they are being foolish.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I don't think that's really accurate.  My understanding is that we now know that we get a better immune response when we spread the mRNA doses out over a longer period.  What we're now calling a "booster" is really just the last dose of what will eventually become a normal vaccine regimen.

How do you know it will be the “last dose?”

4 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

How do you know it will be the “last dose?”

Well I don't, of course.  Just pointing out that it's not unusual for a particular vaccine to be administered in multiple doses months apart, and knowing what we know now we probably should have administered the mRNA covid-19 vaccines that way.  It's not about your body forgetting how to make antibodies.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:43 AM, JaxBill said:

Kinda here too. Not due for a booster until January but in rush to get one. I will but I'm not rushing to get it.

59 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Not following.  What do you mean "better immune response"....how is that defined?  Every single individual immune system is different

Edited by The Commish

3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Well I don't, of course.  Just pointing out that it's not unusual for a particular vaccine to be administered in multiple doses months apart, and knowing what we know now we probably should have administered the mRNA covid-19 vaccines that way.  It's not about your body forgetting how to make antibodies.

Got it.   True and fair.  Thx for clarifying.

Got my 2nd Pfizer at the end of April. End of October would have been 6 months and eligible for a booster.

Tested positive for breakthrough COVID at the end of August. Considering that as my "booster" and don't plan on thinking about getting another one until at least February, if at all.

Read this article last week from the WSJ. Not a lot of antibody longevity studies out for people that got the vaccine and THEN got COVID.

Fully Vaccinated and Had Covid-19? No Rush for a Booster Shot, Experts Say

Based on that article, I'm considering myself SUPER VaXXed Man.

1 hour ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Got my 2nd Pfizer at the end of April. End of October would have been 6 months and eligible for a booster.

Tested positive for breakthrough COVID at the end of August. Considering that as my "booster" and don't plan on thinking about getting another one until at least February, if at all.

Read this article last week from the WSJ. Not a lot of antibody longevity studies out for people that got the vaccine and THEN got COVID.

My entire family is in the exact same position. All four of us fully vaccinated. All four had COVID in August. Thankfully, all of us had mild symptoms, although my sense of smell is still working its way back to 100%.  Planning to wait until at least after the first of the year for our 3rd shots. Thanks for sending this link.

Edited by soothsayer

5 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

We’ve had this discussion already, and I can’t read your article through the paywall, but I’ll go back on record to say I don’t think we know yet.

Specifically, I would not assume breakthrough infection behaves the same way immunologically as vaccination + natural immunity. It may in some, maybe even most people, but I still don’t believe the logistics/need for boosting in that sub population is crystal clear.

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Technically, the FDA has to formally approve it, and then the CDC as well.  Which sucks.

Every once in a while, when i see you post, I go and watch the Leeroy Jenkins video. So ####### hilarious. So thanks for bringing me joy every so often

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bcat01 said:

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/reports-fda-approval-mix-match-approach-covid-19-boosters-expected-this-week/KYRN52J6C5AOZNIMCPG7V5V4WU/

Looks like we will be able to mix and match vaccine boosters.  I got the J&J shot and will be waiting for more data on which booster to get when its my turn.

Full dose of Moderna seems to give the best results to J&J recipients.

The booster dose of Moderna wasn't tested in the mix/match studies and would likely have given results closer to the Pfizer shot.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/mixing-vaccines-the-study-weve-all

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Dragons said:

Full dose of Moderna seems to give the best results to J&J recipients.

The booster dose of Moderna wasn't tested in the mix/match studies and would likely have given results closer to the Pfizer shot.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/mixing-vaccines-the-study-weve-all

Don't even bother researching, Team Moderna has your back.

• Laughing 1

Covid Survivor here

Still waiting for the Novavax.  Having blood work done tomorrow and asked them to check my Covid antibodies.  

I'm also having them checking on chickenpox. I can't remember If I've had and need to know for the shingles shot.  

Still Undecided on the flu shot. What are they saying about it? Do they think they have the correct strain and vax for it?

#TeamPfizer 

Pfizer vaccine highly effective against teen Covid-19 hospitalization.

Vaccine effectiveness in preventing hospitalization in people ages 12-18 is 93%, according to a newly released report from a collaborative of 19 pediatric hospitals in 16 US states that assessed the initial 2-dose series of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine. The study was published in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The analysis is the first of its kind large enough to pinpoint a precise figure during the Delta era. The protection was similar among patients ages 12-15 compared to those ages 16-18.

Among children ages 12-18 who were hospitalized with Covid-19, 97% were unvaccinated. None of the vaccinated children required intensive care. None of the vaccinated children had to be placed in a coma so that they could live on mechanical ventilation (i.e. breathing machines). None of the vaccinated children required “lung bypass” machines (called extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, or ECMO). None of the vaccinated children required medications to support their blood pressure. None of the vaccinated children died.

Among the unvaccinated children hospitalized with Covid-19, 44% required intensive care, and 17% required life support (breathing machines, ECMO, blood pressure support). Two patients died.

• Thanks 1

Got the 2 Pfizer shots in late March, mid April.  Had a near fatal blood clot in my leg break off and go into my lungs in late June which resulted in 4 days hospitalized, 3 in ICU and blood thinning medication ever since and maybe for ever.

I will be getting my Pfizer booster in a few weeks.

Edited by SteevieG
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, SteevieG said:

Got the 2 Pfizer shots in late March, mid April.  Had a near fatal blood clot in my leg break off and go into my lungs in late June which resulted in 4 days hospitalized, 3 in ICU and blood thinning medication ever since and maybe for ever.

I'm in the same boat (including three days in ICU), thinners for life. But I don't consider it imunocompromised or anything that qualifies me to jump the line (I'm not 65 yet). If anything, the thinners protect you against clots, which are one of the more serious COVID effects. So I'll wait until my age qualifies me, as bad as I'd like the booster. (In other words, my wife said I have to wait my turn).

Edited by DallasDMac

On 10/18/2021 at 5:59 AM, IvanKaramazov said:

Spot on with this topic. Part of the reason why vaccines normally take so long to get approved is to do the long term efficacy studies to nail down an effective dosing regimen. We are currently figuring that out as we go because it was so important to get people vaccinated to save lives.

COVID could be like the flu and require regular booster shots. Or it could be like several other vaccines where it’s doses 0-1-6 months and give you long lasting immunity. We don’t know because we haven’t made it that far.

Current data is showing that the initial dosing regimen may benefit from tweaking. J&J looks like it should have been a 2 dose shot 2 months a part. And the mRNA may have been more beneficial with the dosing spaced further apart (maybe 2 months too). Other theories like Moderna being ‘overdosed’ didn’t turn out being true as that might the reason for longer lasting immunity and effectiveness against Delta.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SteevieG said:

11 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I'm in the same boat (including three days in ICU), thinners for life. But I don't consider it imunocompromised or anything that qualifies me to jump the line (I'm not 65 yet). If anything, the thinners protect you against clots, which are one of the more serious COVID effects. So I'll wait until my age qualifies me, as bad as I'd like the booster. (In other words, my wife said I have to wait my turn).

What were your clots attributed to?

21 hours ago, the moops said:

Every once in a while, when i see you post, I go and watch the Leeroy Jenkins video. So ####### hilarious. So thanks for bringing me joy every so often

I watched that video for the first time this year - :lmao:  don’t care if it was staged.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I watched that video for the first time this year - :lmao:  don’t care if it was staged.

Internet HOF for sure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

What were your clots attributed to?

Good question. Clots due to these vaccines are reportedly very rare but have certainly heard of a couple instances among aquaintances