What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (3 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I had zero reaction to pfizer #1 in February. Was wiped out for 2+ days with #2 in March. Flu shot two days ago wiped me out for 24 hours+. Never had flu shot reactions before. I am going to conjure up some grand conspiracy once I feel better though

I had zero reaction to pfizer #1 in February. Was wiped out for 2+ days with #2 in March. Flu shot two days ago wiped me out for 24 hours+. Never had flu shot reactions before. I am going to conjure up some grand conspiracy once I feel better though
Had flu shot a few days back and Pfizer booster a couple days ago. Nothing more than a sore arm from either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but he didn’t really push it. He talked about dishwashers and shower pressure 100x more than he ever talked about getting the vaccine. He probably knows it’s unpopular with his base so he doesn’t talk about it much. In theory, it should be the entire basis for his story of how great he was because the vax was developed so quickly under his watch and it works so well. Instead it’s something he’s can’t really bring up because his base doesn’t like it. Beyond ironic.
Please include the “trump is a clown” portion of my quote next time. Tia

Turns out my youngest ended up getting the vaccine in the trial. I was already 99% sure of this. My other daughter got placebo. She was unblinded in the study and given her first dose of the vaccine on Monday. She had a sore arm for a couple days and that's about it.

While we were there, aside from thanking us for being in the study, they mentioned how the vast majority of the kids enrolled in this study at the research center had parents that were doctors.  This research center isn't otherwise affiliated with any hospital or practice so you have to seek it out to sign up.

For anyone that is still on the fence, either for themselves or for their kids, I would hope that information is very telling. If physicians, who should have an understanding about these vaccines, are willing to do this for their own kids, then you should feel comfortable about it being both safe and effective.

So my youngest son vomited this morning and it not feeling well at all.  Just laying on the couch.  So I guess his appointment will be canceled.  And the doctor's office is saying all of their shots are spoken for and they do not know when they will get more supply.  So he is back on a wait list.

My oldest, who came home early from school Wednesday because he felt like he was going to puke (after two kids in his class puked) is in school today and supposed to still get his shot.  We will see how he feels when my wife gets him I guess.

3rd Moderna appointment was yesterday at 11:00 at the local supermarket. I get there ten minutes early, check in and I am told to go sit in the room. There are seven people in this room, including a toddler who is screaming at the top of her lungs. I sit there..10 minutes go by,...20 minutes go by and there is no one getting shots. Finally, the pharmacist comes racing in and does two shots and then is called out by the staff for some patient consult or whatever. Wait again. She comes back in and does a couple more shots and then has to leave again. At close to noon, I get called back and I can see on the counter there are just vials of meds sitting there. I had been listening to the people getting the shots. I heard one was getting a flu shot, one was getting Pfizer booster. I mean this is how mistakes happen. She was in a huge hurry to mark my card, get me a grocery coupon and I stopped her and said, "You are giving me the Moderna booster, right?" 

She did not like me questioning her at all because boy, she acted like she was harpooning a whale with that shot. There was definitely a very pronounced wind up and follow through as she stuck that needle in. I am an expert on shots as I give myself 4 a day and that was an angry shot and my arm is sore today. 

i am hoping for no reaction like the last time, but it will be hard to tell as both my daughter and I were sick all night after getting ahold of some bad sushi. 

3rd Moderna appointment was yesterday at 11:00 at the local supermarket. I get there ten minutes early, check in and I am told to go sit in the room. There are seven people in this room, including a toddler who is screaming at the top of her lungs. I sit there..10 minutes go by,...20 minutes go by and there is no one getting shots. Finally, the pharmacist comes racing in and does two shots and then is called out by the staff for some patient consult or whatever. Wait again. She comes back in and does a couple more shots and then has to leave again. At close to noon, I get called back and I can see on the counter there are just vials of meds sitting there. I had been listening to the people getting the shots. I heard one was getting a flu shot, one was getting Pfizer booster. I mean this is how mistakes happen. She was in a huge hurry to mark my card, get me a grocery coupon and I stopped her and said, "You are giving me the Moderna booster, right?" 

She did not like me questioning her at all because boy, she acted like she was harpooning a whale with that shot. There was definitely a very pronounced wind up and follow through as she stuck that needle in. I am an expert on shots as I give myself 4 a day and that was an angry shot and my arm is sore today. 

i am hoping for no reaction like the last time, but it will be hard to tell as both my daughter and I were sick all night after getting ahold of some bad sushi. 

These folks are overworked and super stressed.  The nurse at my pediatrician this morning was pretty rude to my wife.  My son is sick and lethargic on the couch right now, so no way he should get a shot today.  But they were giving no guidance to us at all, and then won't reschedule him for Monday either.  

I made the nurse show me the needle, to ensure it was phizer, before both of my daughter's shots. 

Courtjester said:

What you described is my day…every day for the last several months. Might even be the same chain I work based on some of the details.

I would have had the same reaction she did to you questioning the vaccine. I wouldn’t have given you a rough shot…I may have felt like it at times but you never let emotions effect that part of the work. Some people just don’t care if they give a painful shot.

Every time there’s a news story of someone getting the wrong shot, we get 20 people a day telling us about the story  along with people questioning if we’re giving the right vaccine. The mistake of one person puts extra scrutiny on the entire profession. Yes, we are overworked, stressed and errors can happen but most of us have developed very specific processes that help us avoid making mistakes. When you question if we’re giving you the right vaccine, what we hear is that you think we’re more likely be that pharmacist that makes an error than the one that has about 10 different steps in place to prevent errors. Most of the time I can let it go by understanding why you’re asking but other times you might get a short or snippy response but never will let it change how I give the shot.

The profession has always been understaffed and overwhelmed. Before this our regular work kept us from having any bathroom breaks, lunch, etc. Now all the vaccinations have kept us from doing our regular work. When I’m giving your shot there’s a good chance I haven’t had anything to eat for hours and the moment I finish your vaccination I have 5 tasks in the pharmacy waiting for me to do immediately. Patience, understanding and trust are greatly appreciated.

Yes but he didn’t really push it. He talked about dishwashers and shower pressure 100x more than he ever talked about getting the vaccine. He probably knows it’s unpopular with his base so he doesn’t talk about it much. In theory, it should be the entire basis for his story of how great he was because the vax was developed so quickly under his watch and it works so well. Instead it’s something he’s can’t really bring up because his base doesn’t like it. Beyond ironic.
I know this isn’t the PSF, but this is just a misrepresentation of Trump and the vaccine.

He did say it was coming by the end of 2020 and that results in trials were indicating it’d be safe and effective. Spent months pitching it as “around the corner.”

That was met with dismissive coverage claiming it was incredibly unlikely and that he was more likely trying to prop himself for reelection. Prominent democrats even insinuated that they wouldn’t take the vaccine if pushed through approval by the Trump admin.

The vaccine was politically weaponized and that’s really sad.

Trump is a goober for a lot of things, but his talk about the vaccine while in office was not one of them.

Trump is a goober for a lot of things, but his talk about the vaccine while in office was not one of them.
The vax wasn’t really available until after he left office. I have not seen him urging people to get it or making a big deal about how he got it. I’ve even seen Trump supporters saying they think Trump actually got a saline injection instead. It was probably his biggest success as President and you would think he would be talking about it non-stop. 

What you described is my day…every day for the last several months. Might even be the same chain I work based on some of the details.

I would have had the same reaction she did to you questioning the vaccine. I wouldn’t have given you a rough shot…I may have felt like it at times but you never let emotions effect that part of the work. Some people just don’t care if they give a painful shot.

Every time there’s a news story of someone getting the wrong shot, we get 20 people a day telling us about the story  along with people questioning if we’re giving the right vaccine. The mistake of one person puts extra scrutiny on the entire profession. Yes, we are overworked, stressed and errors can happen but most of us have developed very specific processes that help us avoid making mistakes. When you question if we’re giving you the right vaccine, what we hear is that you think we’re more likely be that pharmacist that makes an error than the one that has about 10 different steps in place to prevent errors. Most of the time I can let it go by understanding why you’re asking but other times you might get a short or snippy response but never will let it change how I give the shot.

The profession has always been understaffed and overwhelmed. Before this our regular work kept us from having any bathroom breaks, lunch, etc. Now all the vaccinations have kept us from doing our regular work. When I’m giving your shot there’s a good chance I haven’t had anything to eat for hours and the moment I finish your vaccination I have 5 tasks in the pharmacy waiting for me to do immediately. Patience, understanding and trust are greatly appreciated.
First of all let me thank you for efforts and hard work throughout this terrible time. I know several health care professionals and the stress and terrible situations they were put in and frankly continue to be put in was/is unthinkable..  Where I live in Colorado is a Covid hot spot right now. The number of new cases and deaths in my county is at pre-vaccine levels. Last week every night was 12 new deaths, 14 new deaths--450 new cases. Just insane. All the medical providers deserve our utmost respect and thanks for what they have done, 

Where I am going to differ with you is, if I came in that supermarket pharmacy and did exactly what you said and went on and on about malpractice and mistakes, I could understand the frustration. However, I don't have a professional relationship with this individual. I am meeting them for the first time that day and my impression of her was she was stressed, pulled in way too many directions and her lab station was disorganized. As an extremely high risk patient receiving medical services, I am entitled to ask a question and all I did was confirm I was getting a certain vaccine. No more--no less. I don't think any profession is above reproach and if someone is offended that I am seeking a one time affirmation of what services I am about to receive, then perhaps they should rethink their career choice. 

And if you want a horror story and a time I am glad I spoke up.  About 20 years ago I was scheduled for outpatient surgery. I am in surgery prep, getting the gown on, iv in and the pre-op tech starts drawing on my knee. Well, the problem was I was there for carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist.  :shock:  and the guy had the wrong chart. 

My 7yr old threw up after dinner last night. Then was up until 1am not feeling well and threw up once more. Not sure if vaccine related (stomach side effects or him just having a sensitive stomach and not feeling great) or just this stomach thing that has gone around my house and his classroom this week. Fun times. 

Now I get my booster on no sleep today. 

Got my Pfizer booster Thursday. Side effects, zero. Not even a sore arm.
Does that concern you at all?  I had side effects with each shot (all 3) but mostly fatigue, feeling kind of yucky but nothing major.  I would love to get an antibody test to see where I am - my (very minor) fear is many of us think we have good immunity but don’t. 

AAABatteries said:
Does that concern you at all?  I had side effects with each shot (all 3) but mostly fatigue, feeling kind of yucky but nothing major.  I would love to get an antibody test to see where I am - my (very minor) fear is many of us think we have good immunity but don’t. 
I think it means I'm older and my immune system sucks.

I think it means I'm older and my immune system sucks.
Immunity certainly wanes as we age, but the idea that side effects correlate with immune response is probably wrong. Case in point: I had minimal SE after the second shot, but ~5 months later had high antibody titers, above the maximum reported by the lab. Four months later I got my booster. Antibodies pre-boost were still off the charts, but this time I had chills and malaise for a couple days. A preprint which supports this idea

Objective: To determine whether adverse effects caused by vaccination with the Pfizer/BioNTech BNT162b2 vaccine are associated with the magnitude of vaccine-induced antibody levels.

Design: Single center, prospective, observational cohort study.

Setting: Participants worked at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and were seen monthly at the Naval Medical Research Center Clinical Trials Center.

Participants: Generally healthy adults that were not severely immunocompromised, had no history of COVID-19, and were seronegative for SARS-CoV-2 spike protein prior to vaccination.

Measures: Severity of vaccine-associated symptoms was obtained through participant completed questionnaires. Testing for IgG antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and receptor binding domain was conducted using microsphere-based multiplex immunoassays.

Results: 206 participants were evaluated (69.4% female, median age 41.5 years old). We found no correlation between vaccine-associated symptom severity scores and vaccine-induced antibody titers one month after vaccination. We also observed that 1) post-vaccination symptoms were inversely correlated with age and weight and more common in women, 2) systemic symptoms were more frequent after the second vaccination, 3) high symptom scores after first vaccination were predictive of high symptom scores after second vaccination, and 4) older age was associated with lower titers.

Limitations: Study only observes antibody responses and consists of healthy participants.

Conclusions: Lack of post-vaccination symptoms following receipt of the BNT162b2 vaccine does not equate to lack of vaccine-induced antibodies one month after vaccination. This study also suggests that it may be possible to design future mRNA vaccines that confer robust antibody responses with lower frequencies of vaccine-associated symptoms.
Avoiding racketball is probably the best strategy to minimize side effects.

Immunity certainly wanes as we age, but the idea that side effects correlate with immune response is probably wrong. Case in point: I had minimal SE after the second shot, but ~5 months later had high antibody titers, above the maximum reported by the lab. Four months later I got my booster. Antibodies pre-boost were still off the charts, but this time I had chills and malaise for a couple days. A preprint which supports this idea

This is good to know because I've had similar concerns.

Would you recommend that people get an antibody test?

My son is still not 100% after getting the vax 5 days ago. Having GI issues and stomach cramps.  Not sure if it's related, but he's not eating very much these last few days.  Might just be a stomach bug, but who knows. 

My son is still not 100% after getting the vax 5 days ago. Having GI issues and stomach cramps.  Not sure if it's related, but he's not eating very much these last few days.  Might just be a stomach bug, but who knows. 
My 7yr old got his shot Friday. Threw up after dinner Saturday night and I was in the bathroom with him until 1am.  He kept saying yesterday that he didn’t feel well and he came home early from school today. No vomiting since Saturday though.  

Hard to say if vaccine related. Some one threw up in his class in front of him last week. And he is worried he will throw up at school now too. 

My 12 year old had stomach issues for a few days after Pfizer as well. Not quite to that degree though. Not eating much because nausea.

My 7yr old got his shot Friday. Threw up after dinner Saturday night and I was in the bathroom with him until 1am.  He kept saying yesterday that he didn’t feel well and he came home early from school today. No vomiting since Saturday though.  

Hard to say if vaccine related. Some one threw up in his class in front of him last week. And he is worried he will throw up at school now too. 

My 12 year old had stomach issues for a few days after Pfizer as well. Not quite to that degree though. Not eating much because nausea.
Hmm 3 people with the same results. Glad I held off getting my son vaccinated. A week of stomach issues sounds worse than what covid does to children (who mostly get the sniffles). I hope your children feel better soon.

Hmm 3 people with the same results. Glad I held off getting my son vaccinated. A week of stomach issues sounds worse than what covid does to children (who mostly get the sniffles). I hope your children feel better soon.

My kids have sensitive stomachs.  They tend to vomit when they are not feeling great.  They also have been sick on and off for a few weeks prior and like I said, something is going around the school.  The timing for these shots is bad -- should have been September, as well as boosters for all.

My kids have sensitive stomachs.  They tend to vomit when they are not feeling great.  They also have been sick on and off for a few weeks prior and like I said, something is going around the school.  The timing for these shots is bad -- should have been September, as well as boosters for all.
I thought at first unrelated to vaccine but 3 people reporting the same effects seems like more than a coincidence.

I thought at first unrelated to vaccine but 3 people reporting the same effects seems like more than a coincidence.
This is how anecdotal stuff gets construed for actual evidence.

Neither of mine had any GI symptoms so I can say pretty certainly that it doesn't cause it :sarcasm:

Knowing what Covid can do to kids, even if rare, I'll take a few days of GI upset that has no long term effects 100% of the time.  And, also, because it's recommended to get it. 

Users who are viewing this thread