Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

gianmarco

Covid vaccine  

463 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, IC FBGCav said:

Co worker of my wife just died.  6 weeks in icu anti vaxx.  Get the jab.  

I gave this a crying emoji, and then saw that she was anti-vax. 

pains me, because anybody dying is a sad thing, but dying from something because you don't want to take a vaccine that would likely save you... I changed it to a thanks emoji.

11 hours ago, The Captain said:

Has anyone here had the J&J shot then followed up with Pfizer or Moderna booster? Interested in side effects and any fears of mixing vaccines. 

Yup, I got the J&J in late April and just got a Pfizer booster a couple weeks ago.  No side effects except a sore shoulder, no fear about mixing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Ugh

https://abc7news.com/sutter-health-east-bay-medical-foundation-pfizer-shot-kids/11240355/

Interesting that it also mentions the kids had bad stomach aches. 

Towards the bottom of the article it says in clinical trials kids were given that and higher dosages and no negative side effects were reported. I wish the media would stop running these stories that give anti vaxxers talking points. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Towards the bottom of the article it says in clinical trials kids were given that and higher dosages and no negative side effects were reported. I wish the media would stop running these stories that give anti vaxxers talking points. 

Didnt clinical trials have only a few hundred children in them? Not a large enough sample size to get all side effects. As a matter of fact didnt CDC ask them to double the size of the trial?

14 minutes ago, Dickies said:

I have no clue. 

Here you go -- I personally know 2 of those participants very well  :)

The available safety data to support the EUA include more than 4,600 participants (3,100 vaccine, 1,538 placebo) ages 5 through 11 years enrolled in the ongoing study. In this trial, a total of 1,444 vaccine recipients were followed for safety for at least 2 months after the second dose.

Commonly reported side effects in the clinical trial included injection site pain (sore arm), redness and swelling, fatigue, headache, muscle and/or joint pain, chills, fever, swollen lymph nodes, nausea and decreased appetite. More children reported side effects after the second dose than after the first dose. Side effects were generally mild to moderate in severity and occurred within two days after vaccination, and most went away within one to two days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, jobarules said:

Hmm 3 people with the same results. Glad I held off getting my son vaccinated. A week of stomach issues sounds worse than what covid does to children (who mostly get the sniffles). I hope your children feel better soon.

43 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Didnt clinical trials have only a few hundred children in them? Not a large enough sample size to get all side effects. As a matter of fact didnt CDC ask them to double the size of the trial?

I don't understand why 3 people is significant to you while a study of hundreds is not?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, fatness said:

I don't understand why 3 people is significant to you while a study of hundreds is not?

Not to mention the safety profile of the vaccine is known since millions of doses have already been given to children ages 12-17. 

The primary purpose here was to study the lower dose and make sure it was still safe,  well tolerated, and produced enough of an immune response.  When the numbers come back that are similar to what was seen in older kids, you don't need to enroll the same number of subjects as the initial trial in older kids and adults.  Nor would there be a reason to suspect that things would be different since we know babies/children tolerate vaccines well in general. 

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Planning to attend Tgiving with my wife's extended family... rural area. Got heads up from her folks (vaccinated) that the current view of the extended family is vaccinated people are responsible for infecting the unvaccinated (i.e. them). I really enjoyed that side of the family pre-'political insanity era' but this just seems crazy enough to dissuade me from spending holidays with them. Has anyone heard of this... is that actually a common/current belief of the unvaxxed?   

21 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Planning to attend Tgiving with my wife's extended family... rural area. Got heads up from her folks (vaccinated) that the current view of the extended family is vaccinated people are responsible for infecting the unvaccinated (i.e. them). I really enjoyed that side of the family pre-'political insanity era' but this just seems crazy enough to dissuade me from spending holidays with them. Has anyone heard of this... is that actually a common/current belief of the unvaxxed?   

I don't know if it's common, but that crosseyed guy posted something along those lines. I think it had something to do with "leaky vaccines" and Marek's disease, which killed a bunch of unvaccinated birds.

It was a sh!tty argument then, and still is, mainly because the solution is getting vaccinated.

Good luck with that holiday gathering. If it were me, I'd stay home, as anyone that invested in antivax rhetoric is unlikely to keep their opinions to themselves.

Edited by Terminalxylem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Here you go -- I personally know 2 of those participants very well  :)

The available safety data to support the EUA include more than 4,600 participants (3,100 vaccine, 1,538 placebo) ages 5 through 11 years enrolled in the ongoing study. In this trial, a total of 1,444 vaccine recipients were followed for safety for at least 2 months after the second dose.

Commonly reported side effects in the clinical trial included injection site pain (sore arm), redness and swelling, fatigue, headache, muscle and/or joint pain, chills, fever, swollen lymph nodes, nausea and decreased appetite. More children reported side effects after the second dose than after the first dose. Side effects were generally mild to moderate in severity and occurred within two days after vaccination, and most went away within one to two days.

Won't change his mind, or have him retract his 'innocent question' about only hundreds enrolled in the trials.

Edited by Dragons
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BigJim® said:

There is a lunatic theory around that vaccinated people "shed" and thereby infect the unvaccinated: https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-covid19vaccine-reproductivepro/fact-check-covid-vaccines-do-not-shed-from-one-person-to-another-and-then-cause-reproductive-problems-idUSL1N2MG256

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fatness said:

Wow, that's crazy. Even crazier, my wife initially described this 3rd Tgiving event as optional for me and now doesn't remember it that way. "Ok, let's talk covid vaccine..."

6 hours ago, jobarules said:

oof

Im talking about the sample size of children who have taken it. 3 people in one footballguys forum is VERY significant. Ignore it all you want. Im not

I took a bus ride across town today.  Not one but two people on the bus that I spoke with had won lottery prizes in excess of $250,000.  Accordingly, I now ride the bus everyday.  Only a matter of time before I win.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

I had the jansen in April.. As I'm having double hernia surgery this Thursday I got the phizer booster last Thursday.. No side effects at all..

Now to get this dang surgery over with.. Sucks getting old ;) 

Edited by snogger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

The hundreds (actually thousands) don't support his confirmation bias.

Is it confirmation bias or shtick? Or both? 

But, many people give more credence to anecdotes than to statistics. It's part of why we're in the predicament we're in right now. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Is it confirmation bias or shtick? Or both? 

But, many people give more credence to anecdotes than to statistics. It's part of why we're in the predicament we're in right now. 

Based on prior posts, I think he believes what he’s posting. But you’re right that people give too much weight to anecdotes, personal experience and “common” sense.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, gianmarco said:

This is how anecdotal stuff gets construed for actual evidence.

Neither of mine had any GI symptoms so I can say pretty certainly that it doesn't cause it :sarcasm:

Knowing what Covid can do to kids, even if rare, I'll take a few days of GI upset that has no long term effects 100% of the time.  And, also, because it's recommended to get it. 

Exactly

10 hours ago, jobarules said:
10 hours ago, fatness said:

oof

Im talking about the sample size of children who have taken it. 3 people in one footballguys forum is VERY significant. Ignore it all you want. Im not

This is really an embarrassing post, kinda like the one a famous FBG posted about round pizzas vs. square pizzas.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, El Floppo said:

I gave this a crying emoji, and then saw that she was anti-vax. 

pains me, because anybody dying is a sad thing, but dying from something because you don't want to take a vaccine that would likely save you... I changed it to a thanks emoji.

He was from Vietnam loved his freedom and hated China.  The owner "asked" him to go to work when he was sick on a Saturday because production was behind.  Him being sick was not determined as covid at that point.  They found him in his home unconscious the following Wednesday.  

Owner did not go to his service or let the employees know there was a service this Monday.  Worked 60 plus hours a week for over 4 years and possibly their most productive employee.  Never offered him health insurance even when he asked about it.  I think that is illegal but don't know the law with companies with under 10 people.

Edited by IC FBGCav
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, IC FBGCav said:

He was from Vietnam loved his freedom and hated China.  The owner "asked" him to go to work when he was sick on a Saturday because production was behind.  Him being sick was not determined as covid at that point.  They found him in his home unconscious the following Wednesday.  

Owner did not go to his service or let the employees know there was a service this Monday.  Worked 60 plus hours a week for over 4 years and possibly their most productive employee.  Never offered him health insurance even when he asked about it.  I think that is illegal but don't know the law with companies with under 10 people.

That's horrible...all the way around.

Cry emoji is back in play.

1 hour ago, IC FBGCav said:

The owner "asked" him to go to work when he was sick on a Saturday because production was behind. 

What a POS that owner is.

1 hour ago, IC FBGCav said:

Owner did not go to his service or let the employees know there was a service this Monday. 

On 11/16/2021 at 11:14 PM, fatness said:

This is really an embarrassing post, kinda like the one a famous FBG posted about round pizzas vs. square pizzas.

An all-timer... "Pizza does not come in a straight line"

• Love 1

1st Moderna shot: sore arm and a headache for two days

2nd Moderna shot: kicked my butt with fever and chills for a day and a half

3rd Moderna shot: (over 8 months later): slightly sore arm?

Either my body is now an expert at fighting spike proteins or it forgot everything it learned 8 months ago.  I know it was a 1/2 dose but I was expecting something more. 

Edited by leftcoastguy7

3 hours ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

1st Moderna shot: sore arm and a headache for two days

2nd Moderna shot: kicked my butt with fever and chills for a day and a half

3rd Moderna shot: (over 8 months later): slightly sore arm?

Either my body is now an expert at fighting spike proteins or it forgot everything it learned 8 months ago.  I know it was a 1/2 dose but I was expecting something more. 

PSA:

only the moderna is a half dose.  i had to look it up

On 11/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, snogger said:

I had the jansen in April.. As I'm having double hernia surgery this Thursday I got the phizer booster last Thursday.. No side effects at all..

Now to get this dang surgery over with.. Sucks getting old ;) 

Hope all went well buddy! heal up

I got my first ever COVID test. Was a close contact with a friend who is vaxxed and has minor symptoms (his immune system sucks, he gets a cold like 8x a year and we think had COVID in Feb 20). I was with him a long time and in pretty close quarters at the bar, his car and his house over two days right before he got sick. We didn’t wear masks. 

Came back negative :) 

• Like 5

On 11/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, fatness said:

My wife just asked him to contact the family about his tools there.  Paraphrasing...if they come for them I will give them to them.  

Pos to nth degree.  I met this guy many times.  Never seemed this callous.  Total richard.

3 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Son feeling better, btw. 

Not sure if it was the vax or if it was the drinkable Activia yogurt he started about the same time.  We stopped the yogurt and he stopped pooping his pants. 

In any case, none of that active cultures thing for you, son.

I vaguely remember SNL doing an "Activia makes you poop" sketch during the height of their commercials with Jamie Lee Curtis. 

8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I got my first ever COVID test. Was a close contact with a friend who is vaxxed and has minor symptoms (his immune system sucks, he gets a cold like 8x a year and we think had COVID in Feb 20). I was with him a long time and in pretty close quarters at the bar, his car and his house over two days right before he got sick. We didn’t wear masks. 

Came back negative :) 

Happy to hear!

Per the bolded, I didn't even think about it until I just read it, but I've gotten a sinus infection or two every year for decades but haven't for almost two years now.

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, belljr said:

So got Moderna booster 7am Friday.  Around 10pm got fever, chills, felt like hit by truck.   Still have headache and chills after sleeping most of yesterday and this morning.. 

This was worse than the second shot

Seems similar to the first one/set, people have widely varied reactions to the booster. I just had mild headache the day after, and a bit of fatigue.

Edited by Maelstrom

The wife and I got a Pfizer booster yesterday 6 months to the day from our J&J vaccine. She had to call it early at work today and go home. She has aches all over and she is sluggish. I'm currently at work getting ready to finish up a 12 hour shift and am a little bit achy and sluggish but nothing like I was after the J&J.