What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (1 Viewer)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
I don’t know if it’s more arrogant, or ignorant, but either way, I have no idea when people decided doctors don’t know what they’re talking about. There is no other healthcare recommendation which is so second guessed.
Yep.

Of course, for those that do unfortunately get sick and end up needing care often decide that that's a good time to start trusting doctors and what they end up doing for them as they treat Covid. Treatment, ironically enough, that has changed substantially more in the last year from how it was first treated to now and changed far more than vaccine recommendations. 

I don’t know if it’s more arrogant, or ignorant, but either way, I have no idea when people decided doctors don’t know what they’re talking about. There is no other healthcare recommendation which is so second guessed.
About the same time when ‘doing your own research’ became combing through the internet until you find someone who supports your opinion.

"Why take this cholesterol medicine? I feel fine"

"Why get this Tetanus shot? I don't walk around rusty nails."

"Why take this blood pressure medicine? I don't feel anything is wrong."

"Why get a colonoscopy? My poop is normal"

The whole "I don't think I need the booster now" we keep seeing is basically saying "All the doctors that are saying we should get it don't realize that the numbers aren't a big deal and don't really know what they are talking about. I'll listen to them about some things but I know when I don't need to listen to them."

This is how you make 100% sure you don't have a sincere conversation with your intended audience.

Because the message is delivered poorly, inconsistently, and at times directly contradictory.   Whoever it is putting out the directives needs to be fired.

Beyond that - 

The targeted poster has already said he will get it when he needs to... but in the meantime, I think "why" is a damn good question.  What does a vaccinated person below age 65, and lacking specific comorbidities have to gain?  An already miniscule risk gets X% lower?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - before trying to shame that poster did anyone even ask if it had been 6 months since his second shot?

Didn't think so.

This is how you make 100% sure you don't have a sincere conversation with your intended audience.
I think after almost two years in this thread the medical professionals are just tired of trying to convince people they maybe, sorta, kinda know what they are doing.

Also - before trying to shame that poster did anyone even ask if it had been 6 months since his second shot?

Didn't think so.
OP said it had been 9 months since his 2nd shot

Didn't think so.

Are you referring to JaxBill and the responses to this post? 

Fully vaccinated and received my second shot 9 months ago.

Not getting a booster.

Why? 

I'm a Federal contractor. Why rush out and get this booster when Omicron appears to be mild? I figure if the next variant  is more serious,  the Feds will mandate that I get that booster (which I will). Plus the Covid numbers are way down here in Florida.

I think after almost two years in this thread the medical professionals are just tired of trying to convince people they maybe, sorta, kinda know what they are doing.

OP said it had been 9 months since his 2nd shot

If I listen to our medical professionals - they don't seem to be a unified front on who should get the booster.  Some seem content with those over 65.

But thank you for the 9 month info -

At 9 months what is the specific benefit to a vaccinated person?  6 months?  10 months?

Which booster is the best?  

Does mixing/matching vaccines and boosters matter?  How much or how little?

The kinda/sorta thing ... couldn't have said it better myself.

What does a vaccinated person below age 65, and lacking specific comorbidities have to gain?  An already miniscule risk gets X% lower?
A lower chance of contracting COVID. A lower chance at serious problems due to COVID. A far lower chance of being hospitalized due to COVID. A far lower chance of dying from COVID. A lower chance of spreading COVID to other people.

A lower chance of contracting COVID. A lower chance at serious problems due to COVID. A far lower chance of being hospitalized due to COVID. A far lower chance of dying from COVID. A lower chance of spreading COVID to other people.

This is extremely vague, and why the message doesn't hit home with even an ounce of urgency to those already vaccinated - they already can claim those benefits.

eta - again - how much lower against an already tiny chance?

This is extremely vague, and why the message doesn't hit home with even an ounce of urgency to those already vaccinated - they already can claim those benefits.

eta - again - how much lower against an already tiny chance?
Why are you here? What is the point of all your posts? I understand why most people are here urging their fellow citizens to get vaccinated. They're doing that so you don't die, so they don't die, so we can all try to get past this and get back to normal.

Seems like a pretty clear agenda on their part.

What's your agenda? To try to convince people not to get the vaccine apparently.

Absolutely. While everyone has a right/duty to make informed decisions regarding their medical care, you cannot expect your doctor to debunk every bit of nonsense available on the worldwide web. At some point, you need to trust their judgement, or take your business elsewhere.

This isn’t about shaming anyone, it’s about trusting your healthcare provider to do their job better than a layperson.

Why are you here? What is the point of all your posts? I understand why most people are here urging their fellow citizens to get vaccinated. They're doing that so you don't die, so they don't die, so we can all try to get past this and get back to normal.

Seems like a pretty clear agenda on their part.

What's your agenda? To try to convince people not to get the vaccine apparently.

Good lord.  So many people have a hard time being challenged. 

I will get the booster when I have to, as far out as I can.... because making the decision now seems premature and and non-urgent.  

This is extremely vague
No, it's well-established by studies and statistical counts on medical websites and mainstream websites. Many of them are linked in this thread, and in the Official Covid thread in the FFA. You can find them and read them yourself. I'm not going to waste time looking them up for someone I consider a bad-faith poster.

the message doesn't hit home with even an ounce of urgency to those already vaccinated - they already can claim those benefits.
I claim to be the Pope, and to have banged Princess Diana.

Absolutely. While everyone has a right/duty to make informed decisions regarding their medical care, you cannot expect your doctor to debunk every bit of nonsense available on the worldwide web. At some point, you need to trust their judgement, or take your business elsewhere.

This isn’t about shaming anyone, it’s about trusting your healthcare provider to do their job better than a layperson.

Sure, but you realize my healthcare provider may not agree with your healthcare provider.. right?  

No, it's well-established by studies and statistical counts on medical websites and mainstream websites. Many of them are linked in this thread, and in the Official Covid thread in the FFA. You can find them and read them yourself. I'm not going to waste time looking them up for someone I consider a bad-faith poster.

I claim to be the Pope, and to have banged Princess Diana.

That is hot.

You realize that you are referencing studies and statistical counts for a booster authorized to people under 65 2/3 weeks ago?  

Seems a short list of questions to answer though given the vast amount of data you have at your ready?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it wants to stay ahead of the coronavirus and that's why it's recommending the boosters, but not all doctors agree that booster shots are necessary for everyone.

It is plainly obvious that boosters will help, will be needed.

Presenting it to vaccinated people under 65 as some type of urgent step is silly right now.  

When you do so from your high horse, your presentation was never meant to hit home to your audience in the first place.  Or perhaps it would be better to say your intended audience was only ever those that you agree with in the first place.

Then why'd you ask?

Do you have anything to add here, or are you just trying to police the thread?

Happy to play this game with you, glass is full and I am relatively bored.... but the on topic stuff is far more interesting.

I will get the booster when I have to, as far out as I can.... because making the decision now seems premature and and non-urgent.  
It’s all about delivery. Had you lead with that rather than these rants you go on maybe the points you’re trying to make would be received better? I don’t know. You do you, I don’t disagree with some of your points just think you can package your message better.

It’s the same #### we rehash every few months in this thread. Just gets tiresome, I can see why the medical folks in this thread get wore out going over the same points again and again. And you’re one of them, that’s the ironic part. First it was #### mask, then it was #### lockdowns, then it was #### the vaccine, now it’s #### the booster. Like I said, you do you.

All of those examples have been very consistent for years/decades.

Sorry if I don't jump to get a shot that they tell me I should get after telling me I didn't need to.

I'll wait for the next hoop I have to jump through.
It is too early to say that it is actually mild.  The demographics in South Africa are very different than here.

Also, if Pfizer is showing in the lab that 2 shots has a negative impact reaching 25-fold versus prior COVID variants, but that with a booster the vaccine essentially fights Omicron off infection as the vaccine did previously, then everyone needs it.  Even if the likelihood of severe disease is low, once Omicron takes hold and spreads rapidly among 350M people. there are going to be bad results at gross numbers that should not be acceptable, because it is preventable.  Vaccine is a 3-shot regiment -- get it to thwart spread to lower the number of severe cases (not the percentages).

When Covid is no longer a thing (if we ever get there), and heart disease becomes the leading cause of death again for the population, I wonder if everyone is going to start doing their own research and read papers and studies about risk factors and lowering blood pressure and high cholesterol and when ACE inhibitors or statins are really needed and when they aren't. They'll have all this time they devoted to regular Covid research, staying up to date with all the recent data that they should get pretty efficient at it.

Will they start to question the need for these guidelines to get an LDL under 100 when there's a few doctors that say LDL really has no impact on myocardial infarction risk (even though the vast majority say otherwise)? Will they examine the trials of statins and their overall reduction in risk of heart disease and see that it's only a modest benefit compared to not taking them? Especially when we are talking about taking a daily medication for the rest of their lives that pays Big Pharma a whole lot more than just 2-3+ vaccine doses.

I'm sure after reading some of those studies and trials, the general population will have a much better understanding of the decision making process and can decide if they really need these interventions regardless of what their doctor or medical consensus recommends. 

It is too early to say that it is actually mild.  The demographics in South Africa are very different than here.

Also, if Pfizer is showing in the lab that 2 shots has a negative impact reaching 25-fold versus prior COVID variants, but that with a booster the vaccine essentially fights Omicron off infection as the vaccine did previously, then everyone needs it.  Even if the likelihood of severe disease is low, once Omicron takes hold and spreads rapidly among 350M people. there are going to be bad results at gross numbers that should not be acceptable, because it is preventable.  Vaccine is a 3-shot regiment -- get it to thwart spread to lower the number of severe cases (not the percentages).
I have to say its simply an amazing coincidence that a variant emerged that evades two shot immunity but is limited by 3 shot immunity at the same time the boosters have been rolled out.

I have to say its simply an amazing coincidence that a variant emerged that evades two shot immunity but is limited by 3 shot immunity at the same time the boosters have been rolled out.

All variants require the third shot.  Or haven't you seen that the United States is currently averaging 120,000 cases per day, and it is 99% Delta?

Wait, I thought this was a pandemic of the unvaxxed now. Im so confused.

For the love of god.

Not sure how many times this has to be repeated here -- the term "booster" isn't necessarily correct.  The truth is that this is a 3-shot prime vaccination.  And really, why is there an issue getting another shot in order to remain at peak protection?  You are willing to get two shots, but oh man, a third shot is just too much!  But people take their insulin shots daily.  Take their pain meds. Get flu shots yearly.  Get shots they need to travel to certain countries. Take their blood pressure pills every day.  Sign up to be in the military and got all kinds of shots without question.  But are suspicious of this one -- in a global pandemic that is still rampaging -- and aren't willing to get shots that save their or other's lives every 6-18 months?  

It is utterly ridiculous and disingenuous and your replies are nothing but trolling at this point and add nothing to the discussion.  

When Covid is no longer a thing (if we ever get there), and heart disease becomes the leading cause of death again for the population, I wonder if everyone is going to start doing their own research and read papers and studies about risk factors and lowering blood pressure and high cholesterol and when ACE inhibitors or statins are really needed and when they aren't. They'll have all this time they devoted to regular Covid research, staying up to date with all the recent data that they should get pretty efficient at it.

Will they start to question the need for these guidelines to get an LDL under 100 when there's a few doctors that say LDL really has no impact on myocardial infarction risk (even though the vast majority say otherwise)? Will they examine the trials of statins and their overall reduction in risk of heart disease and see that it's only a modest benefit compared to not taking them? Especially when we are talking about taking a daily medication for the rest of their lives that pays Big Pharma a whole lot more than just 2-3+ vaccine doses.

I'm sure after reading some of those studies and trials, the general population will have a much better understanding of the decision making process and can decide if they really need these interventions regardless of what their doctor or medical consensus recommends. 
"This is how you make 100% sure you don't have a sincere conversation with your intended audience."

;)

For the love of god.

Not sure how many times this has to be repeated here -- the term "booster" isn't necessarily correct.  The truth is that this is a 3-shot prime vaccination.  And really, why is there an issue getting another shot in order to remain at peak protection?  You are willing to get two shots, but oh man, a third shot is just too much!  But people take their insulin shots daily.  Take their pain meds. Get flu shots yearly.  Get shots they need to travel to certain countries. Take their blood pressure pills every day.  Sign up to be in the military and got all kinds of shots without question.  But are suspicious of this one -- in a global pandemic that is still rampaging -- and aren't willing to get shots that save their or other's lives every 6-18 months?  

It is utterly ridiculous and disingenuous and your replies are nothing but trolling at this point and add nothing to the discussion.  
Im boosted dude. Im just trying to figure out why the #s are rising again because the argument changes based on convenience. So youre saying 2 shot people should be considered unvaxxed?

Good lord.  So many people have a hard time being challenged. 

The biggest reason to do it now is to attempt to lower the holiday surge that is almost certain to happen.  The less people we have with breakthrough cases, the less overworked our hospital staff are going to be in January.  The early evidence is showing an overwhelming benefit for a 3rd shot (or second in case of the J&J shot).

Users who are viewing this thread