What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (3 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
So shot 4 has been approved 6 months after the 3rd for immunocompromised people. March 1st for me if I want. Depends on if I can go out of the U.S. where I want to go in March or April and be free to roam around without a quarantine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve heard this quite a bit, but is there really any objective data demonstrating masks harm school-aged children?
I don’t know of any studies and I can’t say that any harm is long-term or severe or anything. But based on my anecdotal experience I’m convinced that it interferes to some degree with instruction.

I don’t know of any studies and I can’t say that any harm is long-term or severe or anything. But based on my anecdotal experience I’m convinced that it interferes to some degree with instruction.
Yeah, I’m sure it makes teaching (and learning) more difficult. What is less clear is how it will impact kids in the short, and more importantly, long term.

I think most kids are resilient, and will ultimately be fine. Marginal students and those with learning disorders will likely not fare as well.

I’m not sure what kind of data you would be looking for in fatguys example.  If these kids aren’t learning as much, aren’t interacting as much, their self-esteem is being damaged - those things aren’t as easily measured and typically wouldn’t show up immediately.  I’ve said all along that one of the trickiest decisions we’ve collectively had to make during this pandemic is keeping schools open.  For that reason alone I think the parents of school aged kids and really all adults should get vaccinated just to ensure we can keep schools open.
You’re right; there probably isn’t good data. But we do know adults age 25-39 are among the groups least likely to be vaccinated. I wonder how that breaks down for those with children versus childless adults?

So shot 4 has been approved 6 months after the 3rd for immunocompromised people. March 1st for me if I want. Depends on if I can go out of the U.S. where I want to go in March or April and be free to roam around without a quarantine.
What is the ideal timeline for getting shot 3 and when are you outside the range if ever? I’m at 8 months on the first 2 and probably had Covid at one point , debating the 3rd leaning in favor. You thinking you will get the 4th and continue on as long as they have them? 

I agree.  It's anecdotal (how could it not be?), but it seems obvious to me that it's significantly harder to deliver a lesson while everybody is masked.  This is a different kind of communication than making small talk or even participating in a meeting.  You have to hold people's attention for a while, speak clearly, and read a room for an extended period of time.  None of those are impossible to accomplish with masks of course, but they're all more difficult.  

I tend to put quite a bit of weight on "revealed preference" arguments.  I've never really like wearing masks -- it was something I just put up with last year until I was vaccinated -- so maybe I'm biased here.  Maybe I'm seeing issues with communication where none actually exist just because my brain is wired to see stuff that backs up my priors.  A good signal check is the folks I work with who are still (IMO) kind of neurotic about covid and are still wearing masks on and off.  I've noticed that those folks lectured with masks for about a week to ten days this semester, and then they mostly (not all) ditched the masks, at least in class.  If people who are prone to masking avoid masks when they're trying to lead a class, that suggests that it isn't just motivated reasoning on my part.    

(As always, this is a cost-benefit issue.  I think shutting down schools in the spring of 2020 was the right move -- it was worth inflicting half a semester's worth of harm on students in exchange for dampening a novel respiratory virus that we didn't understand well.  I can see an argument for requiring masks in schools if that's what it takes to keep them open.  But these sorts of decisions aren't costless).

I agree.  It's anecdotal (how could it not be?), but it seems obvious to me that it's significantly harder to deliver a lesson while everybody is masked.  This is a different kind of communication than making small talk or even participating in a meeting.  You have to hold people's attention for a while, speak clearly, and read a room for an extended period of time.  None of those are impossible to accomplish with masks of course, but they're all more difficult.  

I tend to put quite a bit of weight on "revealed preference" arguments.  I've never really like wearing masks -- it was something I just put up with last year until I was vaccinated -- so maybe I'm biased here.  Maybe I'm seeing issues with communication where none actually exist just because my brain is wired to see stuff that backs up my priors.  A good signal check is the folks I work with who are still (IMO) kind of neurotic about covid and are still wearing masks on and off.  I've noticed that those folks lectured with masks for about a week to ten days this semester, and then they mostly (not all) ditched the masks, at least in class.  If people who are prone to masking avoid masks when they're trying to lead a class, that suggests that it isn't just motivated reasoning on my part.    

(As always, this is a cost-benefit issue.  I think shutting down schools in the spring of 2020 was the right move -- it was worth inflicting half a semester's worth of harm on students in exchange for dampening a novel respiratory virus that we didn't understand well.  I can see an argument for requiring masks in schools if that's what it takes to keep them open.  But these sorts of decisions aren't costless).
Another factor on the cost/benefit analysis which I believe is real is the fact that the longer we wear them, the harder it is to ever convince people they're not needed. The bar always rises.

Do the signals from the tracking chips begin to interfere with each other once you get the third shot?
I mentioned in one of these threads, they’ve gone away from chips and are using nano particles now, hence “the booster”. Much easier to control and see on a global map. Chips wear out, malfunction, etc. Nano particles are forever  :thumbup:   :lmao:   :oldunsure:   :tinfoilhat:

Yeah, I’m sure it makes teaching (and learning) more difficult. What is less clear is how it will impact kids in the short, and more importantly, long term.

I think most kids are resilient, and will ultimately be fine. Marginal students and those with learning disorders will likely not fare as well.
To me the issue regards individual social development. Harder to engage people at a time in their development as humans where that's part of what they're learning to do.

IvanKaramazov said:

It seems reasonable that masks negatively affect learning, but, in my personal anecdotal experience for my 7th grader with special needs, she has excelled the last year and a half at school. She’s definitely more of a visual learner as she has processing issues, so maybe it’s because teachers have had to up their game presenting material on the computer?

Not really sure what the reason is, but she’s done better since covid started.

I don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors, or on report cards, but all my friends’ young kids don’t seem to mind masks at all. In general, they appear much more diligent wearing them than adults.

I assume the kids suffering with masks wouldn’t necessarily show it openly though.

IvanKaramazov said:

Even maskless/pantsless, lecturing via Zoom sucks.

I really need to hear the crickets in person to know my dad jokes aren’t appreciated.

I don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors, or on report cards, but all my friends’ young kids don’t seem to mind masks at all. In general, they appear much more diligent wearing them than adults.

I assume the kids suffering with masks wouldn’t necessarily show it openly though.
This is true of my son but it has also made him more introverted.

my daughter has done better in school during covid than before.  her and her friends don't really care about wearing the masks.  they're not as set in their ways as us old farts.  they just wear them when asked.   :shrug:  

DA RAIDERS said:
my daughter has done better in school during covid than before.  her and her friends don't really care about wearing the masks.  they're not as set in their ways as us old farts.  they just wear them when asked.   :shrug:  
Kids are funny that way. Shame they grow up into adults and get ruint.

Good luck tonight

I have a friend who got COVID.....not vaccinated. 

Ended up in the hospital and eventually released and back at home. 

Of course, the stats say "She got COVID and survived."  However, the stats don't tell you she now has kidney disease due to COVID and will require treatment likely for the rest of her life.

So anyone who says "COVID has a 99% survival rate" needs to realize some/many of those 99% have issues from COVID which impact their quality of life. 

She now wishes she had gotten the vaccine prior to getting COVID. :(

I have a friend who got COVID.....not vaccinated. 

Ended up in the hospital and eventually released and back at home. 

Of course, the stats say "She got COVID and survived."  However, the stats don't tell you she now has kidney disease due to COVID and will require treatment likely for the rest of her life. 

So anyone who says "COVID has a 99% survival rate" needs to realize some/many of those 99% have issues from COVID which impact their quality of life. 

She now wishes she had gotten the vaccine prior to getting COVID. :(
She also said that she is constantly cold since she had COVID....and its been months.  They don't know if that is permanent or temporary.  As much as people think they have strong immunity, with COVID, you just never know. I know some people (unvaccinated) where COVID was a minor annoyance, while others (also unvaccinated) where COVID knocked them sideways.  And its not always the ill/old/unhealthy people who are getting slammed by COVID.

She also said that she is constantly cold since she had COVID....and its been months.  They don't know if that is permanent or temporary.  As much as people think they have strong immunity, with COVID, you just never know. I know some people (unvaccinated) where COVID was a minor annoyance, while others (also unvaccinated) where COVID knocked them sideways.  And its not always the ill/old/unhealthy people who are getting slammed by COVID.
That sucks for her and I’m sure there are way more than her that regret not getting vaccinated. We have friends and family that feel the same way, even the ones who didn’t get it that bad but just don’t feel “right” yet. The idiots out there (and in here) just can’t fathom that it’s not the common cold or flu where if you aren’t  really old/young you just need to get through it. A lot of people died and a lot have also not gotten over it. They have long hauler drug trials, shouldn’t that ring some bells?

Why do boosters work if two doses struggle?

Every dose of the vaccine triggers another round of antibody evolution within the immune system. It seeks out better antibodies that attach themselves more firmly to the virus. It's a process called affinity maturation.

"Your antibodies are a better fit as time goes on, they are getting fancier and more sophisticated," said Prof Altmann.

If the antibodies are able to bind more tightly to the coronavirus then it will be harder for Omicron's mutations to help it wriggle free. And while the new variant is heavily mutated, it is still the same fundamental virus and has parts that have not changed at all.

Further rounds of vaccination also lead to the immune system broadening its antibody repertoire as it finds new ways of attacking the virus.

Posted this in the general FFA COVID thread ... this info fits in here, too:

This article gets into the why the time component is so critical and what it means for accepted vaccination status as we move forward. Cliffs Notes: Second vax in February 2021 = unvaccinated by February 2022.

Fully Vaccinated Is About to Mean Something Else (Atlantic, 12/17/2021)

By this point in the pandemic, it’s quite clear that adding on more shots can come with big benefits, especially now. Months have passed since many people got their shots, leaving antibody levels relatively low. And the heavily mutated Omicron can hopscotch over several of the antibodies that are left, taking hold more easily in vaccinated bodies compared with its predecessors, and perhaps transmitting more rapidly out of them. But a booster’s bump can skyrocket both the quantity and quality of frontline immune defenses, and restore much of the body’s ability to pin the coronavirus in place. Early data suggest that while two doses of an mRNA vaccine deliver kind of meh protection against Omicron infection, tacking on another dose brings the body back to a Delta-like benchmark. Omicron will still spread within vaccinated bodies, and among them. But it will do so less often with a booster. At this point, “I don’t think we can meaningfully interrupt transmission without three doses,” Saad Omer, a Yale epidemiologist, told me. Our viral opponent has clearly upped its offense, and boosters—a bolstering of defense—have never made more sense.

Looping boosters into “full vaccination,” then, could clinch the importance of these shots. “We’ve hit a tipping point,” Jason Schwartz, a vaccine-policy expert at Yale, told me. It’s become essential to “encourage and promote boosters,” and sticking stubbornly to a now-obsolete definition of 'fully vaccinated' could undermine that effort.

A modification wouldn’t be without precedent. The measles/mumps/rubella vaccine first debuted as a single shot, but it became a double-doser in 1989 to better contain outbreaks; the chicken-pox vaccine underwent a similar tweak in 2006 ...

... [Experts] like Grace Lee, a Stanford pediatrician and the chair of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, thinks we might be better off shifting the conversation entirely—asking whether people are “up-to-date” on their shots, rather than whether they’re fully vaccinated. Whereas 'fully vaccinated' implies a sort of finality, and has, to some, even become shorthand for fully protected, 'up-to-date' is more flexible and forgiving. The phrase, which is already used among health professionals when discussing vaccines, might leave more room for individual tailoring, and it accommodates the unpredictability of our circumstances. 'Up-to-date' is also a little more agnostic on the primary-versus-booster distinction. And asking “Did you get your shot this year?” rather than “Are you fully vaccinated?” could be an especially useful framework, Lee told me, if we end up having to retool and readminister our vaccines somewhat regularly, much like we do with vaccines for the seasonal flu.

Posted this in the general FFA COVID thread ... this info fits in here, too:

This article gets into the why the time component is so critical and what it means for accepted vaccination status as we move forward. Cliffs Notes: Second vax in February 2021 = unvaccinated by February 2022.

Fully Vaccinated Is About to Mean Something Else (Atlantic, 12/17/2021)
Thank you for posting this.

There was some discussion on this earlier.  I know @Leeroy Jenkins was one that was quoted when he said that having 2 doses wasn't considered vaccinated and some had issue with that.

Words matter and this helps to clarify that.  I don't think anyone with just 2 doses (or even 1 dose) should be considered unvaccinated.  But, as mentioned above, they may not be "up-to-date" with their vaccines.  Another phrase that is used is "incompletely vaccinated". 

Now, whether or not 2 doses of the mRNA vaccines is officially considered not "up to date" or "incompletely vaccinated' hasn't been determined yet AFAIK, but I wouldn't be surprised if that comes out soon. 

I definitely think we should use language like “vaccines are not up to date” vs. “unvaccinated”.  

I think that is correct.  It was our CDC who started using the term "fully vaccinated"  and created a definition of two mRNA shots and being two weeks post-second shot.  They have botched communication and terminology left and right which has created all sorts of problems  . . . .

They have botched communication and terminology left and right which has created all sorts of problems
But in that past moment, there was nothing wrong with that terminology.

I will say that early in 2021, it was close to conclusively known that boosters would eventually be required. What wasn't known was "when?" Before Delta, the consensus was "probably annually, like flu shots". But then ... the underlying science changed. That didn't mean that the early 2021 communication was botched, though.

But in that past moment, there was nothing wrong with that terminology.

I will say that early in 2021, it was close to conclusively known that boosters would eventually be required. What wasn't known was "when?" Before Delta, the consensus was "probably annually, like flu shots". But then ... the underlying science changed. That didn't mean that the early 2021 communication was botched, though.

I don't want to get into everything here, but I do not think they used optimum communication regarding the vaccine rollout, masks, boosters, etc.  I was a Biden voter, but his CDC has been very poor IMO from a communication, timing, and being overly reactive instead of proactive standpoint.  But that is for another thread.

I think that is correct.  It was our CDC who started using the term "fully vaccinated"  and created a definition of two mRNA shots and being two weeks post-second shot.  They have botched communication and terminology left and right which has created all sorts of problems  . . . .
But that was totally fine based on our best guess at the time.  We all knew that the precise dosage and timing of the vaccines hadn't been optimized yet.  They're still probably not optimized.  That's just how this sort of thing works until we have more real-world experience.

Also, of course, "optimized for delta" isn't the same as "optimized against omicron."  Maybe that 50 mcg third dose of Moderna, which was totally fine against delta, should have stayed at 100 mcg if we had seen omicron coming.  Or maybe not.  Who knows.  It's okay to have a little uncertainty about this sort of thing at this point.

But that was totally fine based on our best guess at the time.  We all knew that the precise dosage and timing of the vaccines hadn't been optimized yet.  They're still probably not optimized.  That's just how this sort of thing works until we have more real-world experience.
Yes, but knowing that they DIDN'T know, and seeing the anti-vax landscape that was out there, they should have thought ahead on how best to communicate with the general population.  Saying "fully" implies that you are done.  Calling the third shot a booster makes it sound optional or in some circles that the vaccine doesn't work.  That's all I am saying -- that it could have been better, and that I expected this admin to be better too. 

But here we are -- still at less than 70% "fully" vaccinated and much worse on the "booster" compliance.  And now we have a seriously contagious  variant at the worst time of year.  And I have a relative in the hospital (at a top hospital) and the attention she is getting is subpar due to overwork/overload there.

Yesterday I checked some places online to schedule a booster and my local clinic, the national chains, and some other places I looked were all booked out until late January or early February. I hit refresh and a spot opened up at my local clinic for today so I took that. First two shots were Pfizer and they didn't really improve my 5G reception, but I went Moderna for the booster so maybe that one will work. 
This more for other people seeing this post, but don't forget to check with your local Health Department. I've been administering vaccines at a county Health dep't for the past couple of months. I spend a good part of my day on the innernets because we're just not that busy.

Yes, but knowing that they DIDN'T know, and seeing the anti-vax landscape that was out there, they should have thought ahead on how best to communicate with the general population.  Saying "fully" implies that you are done.  Calling the third shot a booster makes it sound optional or in some circles that the vaccine doesn't work.  That's all I am saying -- that it could have been better, and that I expected this admin to be better too. 

But here we are -- still at less than 70% "fully" vaccinated and much worse on the "booster" compliance.  And now we have a seriously contagious  variant at the worst time of year.  And I have a relative in the hospital (at a top hospital) and the attention she is getting is subpar due to overwork/overload there.
There are no magic words that would have Jedi-mind-tricked vaccine-resistant people into getting vaccinated.  We needed language to differentiate between the relatively-weaker protection that people got from the first vaccine dose vs. the relatively-stronger protection that people got from the second dose.  "Fully vaccinated" was a totally fine term for the second thing.  Nobody objected to it at the time, including people like me who have been routinely critical of how these folks pass along information.

This more for other people seeing this post, but don't forget to check with your local Health Department. I've been administering vaccines at a county Health dep't for the past couple of months. I spend a good part of my day on the innernets because we're just not that busy.
Yeah our area just reopened their "mega site"

Israel not f'ing around!

Israel to offer fourth COVID-19 vaccine dose (for elderly/immunocompromised) in bid to outpace Omicron

Israel is to offer a fourth dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to people older than 60 or with compromised immune systems, and to health workers, as part of a drive to ramp up the shots and outpace the spread of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

A Health Ministry expert panel - whose findings have yet to be implemented - recommended on Tuesday that those eligible receive the fourth shot at least four months after receiving their third.

The panel further recommended that the time allotted between second and third shots be reduced to three months from five.

This seems nuts to me especially when it seems like one booster or even 2 shots limits any severity from Omicron.
They are likely trying to be proactive for the variant after omicron.  What if that one spreads just as fast but has a worse outcome for those without actively circulating antibodies?  Israel has shown time and again that they place a huge value on keeping their people from dying. 

They are likely trying to be proactive for the variant after omicron.  What if that one spreads just as fast but has a worse outcome for those without actively circulating antibodies?  Israel has shown time and again that they place a huge value on keeping their people from dying. 
There is no indication that this is happening anywhere though unless they have information that nobody else does.

Is there a medical drawback to being vaccinated "too many times?"  I don't mean something stupid like getting a full-on Moderna shot every day for a year.  I mean, what are the potential disadvantages to taking a hypothetically superfluous fourth shot?  

This seems nuts to me especially when it seems like one booster or even 2 shots limits any severity from Omicron.
So far, they're offering that fourth dose strictly for elderly and immunocompromised people. Thinking about that some ... these shots pretty much are all the 'immune response' their going to get. This group may need recurring COVID boosters for a while ... until the background radiation level of endemic COVID drops quite low.

And other variants aren't going anywhere. Delta will still be around. Omicron won't be the last one. Omicron doesn't necessarily call the dance.

Is there a medical drawback to being vaccinated "too many times?"  I don't mean something stupid like getting a full-on Moderna shot every day for a year.  I mean, what are the potential disadvantages to taking a hypothetically superfluous fourth shot?  
@Terminalxylem was going over this topic last week in the other FFA thread:

On 12/17/2021 at 10:39 AM, Doug B said:

I'm starting to wonder "Is there any good reason not to sanction quarterly booster shots for the duration?"

On 12/17/2021 at 4:19 PM, Terminalxylem said:

1. Even mild AEs have financial/productivity/educational  consequences.

2. Our existing primary care network is overwhelmed, and we don’t have other infrastructure in place to administer so many vaccines. 

3. Repeated immune stimulation, taken to an extreme, may have other unforeseen late consequences. Maybe lymphoma?

4. Guys like Lawfitz will mention antibody-dependent enhancement, a theoretical concern based on an overly brisk immune response.

The first two are much better arguments, based on resource availability. I don’t really think 3 & 4 are legitimate concerns, but without demonstrated benefit, the bar to provide any medical treatment becomes much higher.

Most importantly, we’re struggling to convince people to comply with existing vax recommendations. I can only imagine an additional subset of people throwing their hands up at the prospect at quarterly vaccination in perpetuity…

I was a Biden voter, but his CDC has been very poor IMO from a communication, timing, and being overly reactive instead of proactive standpoint.  But that is for another thread.
I've always thought of CDC as being autonomous and political influence semi-scandalous... is it being "Biden's CDC" a real thing? I may not be understanding your larger point, but JMHO, expectation of proactive communications for a pandemic of this nature is expecting too much. With EU vaccine performance incapable of being known until it is proven out (and at all times subject to new facts; aka variants emerging), there's excessive risk aiming high or low being proactive. Basically it would be pure speculation, not science. It only hurts us to cultivate more science doubters attempting to conclude the unknowable. 

What has bothered me more has been WHO at times taking positions contrary to regional interests due to a global lens (e.g. dismissing need for boosters). I get it, but it's not helping us, and I'd say at times undermining us with no realistic global objective.   

There is no indication that this is happening anywhere though unless they have information that nobody else does.
It's worth noting that they had well over majority vote by their medical board to approve this plan. In the past they've been split on many things vaccination. They all seemed to agree on this one though. And as Doug mentioned this was for the most vulnerable only, at least at this time. 

Users who are viewing this thread