What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (4 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Jab 1 ✅ (Pfizer)

Had to drive 3 hours away to get it because available pharmacy appointments in the Philly suburbs are close to non-existent.

The upside was that I got to visit Penn State for the first time and went to the Berkey Creamery on campus.  Holy crap their peach ice cream is incredible.  Made the trip worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jab 1 ✅ (Pfizer)

Had to drive 3 hours away to get it because available pharmacy appointments in the Philly suburbs are close to non-existent.

The upside was that I got to visit Penn State for the first time and went to the Berkey Creamery on campus.  Holy crap their peach ice cream is incredible.  Made the trip worth it.
That’s a pretty good day right there.

Jab 1 ✅ (Pfizer)

Nice!  I’ve heard them talk about that place on the Tony Kornheiser show.  Congrats on both.

Pfizer # 2 yesterday at noon. Felt fine until midnight, then sweated and ached through the night, finally falling asleep at 3. Stayed in bed with chills and headache until 11 AM. Got up for a few hours for we were having a small memorial service for sister in law. Got back in bed at 300, slept until 700. Feeling a little better now, but ####, this thing wiped me the eff out

Pfizer # 2 yesterday at noon. Felt fine until midnight, then sweated and ached through the night, finally falling asleep at 3. Stayed in bed with chills and headache until 11 AM. Got up for a few hours for we were having a small memorial service for sister in law. Got back in bed at 300, slept until 700. Feeling a little better now, but ####, this thing wiped me the eff out
I’m not sure I’ve looked so forward to something that I also dreaded.  Maybe my vasectomy :lmao:  

Had Pfizer #1 yesterday.  Felt completely fine for about 3 hours until I raised my arm above my head to grab something out of a cabinet and had severe shooting pain in my arm/shoulder.  After that, I had horrendous pain every time I moved my arm more than 6".  I could hardly turn over in bed last night it hurt so bad.  During the course of the day today, the pain has finally eased and now it's just pretty sore.  Supposedly #2 is quite a bit worse than #1, so definitely not looking forward to the second injection.

Got my 1st dose of Pfizer around 9:30 this morning at one of the NJ Mega vaccination sites.  Easy peasy process once I was able to secure an appointment. 

Less than 30 minutes from enter to exit including the mandatory 15 minute observation period and scheduling of dose #2 in 3 weeks.  The site I went to was very well staffed and organized.  They had the National Guard helping process people.  

5 hours in and I feel good.  Minimal arm soreness at the injection site.
12 hours post Shot #1.  Arm is a little sore.  No worse than other vaccines (have had 6 vaccine shots in the past 6 months).  A little tired.  Nose is running like a faucet but I’m not sure that’s vaccine related or seasonal allergies kicking in.  
Guess I’ll see what the morning brings.

For all my complaints about my personal ability to get the shot, I'm pleased to report that all my family has had it now (including my 21-year-old nephew in KY), and ex-Mr. krista got his first Moderna jab today at a drive-through facility that was easy-peasy.  He's thus far (seven hours in) had no effects, not even a sore arm.  So, not to be political at all, but I'm happy that we as a country are doing amazingly well, and I am eternally grateful to both the previous and current administrations for getting us here.

Had Pfizer #1 yesterday.  Felt completely fine for about 3 hours until I raised my arm above my head to grab something out of a cabinet and had severe shooting pain in my arm/shoulder.  After that, I had horrendous pain every time I moved my arm more than 6".  I could hardly turn over in bed last night it hurt so bad.  During the course of the day today, the pain has finally eased and now it's just pretty sore.  Supposedly #2 is quite a bit worse than #1, so definitely not looking forward to the second injection.
When I sit with my left (vaccine) elbow on my knee the pain goes away - this may not work for you or other folks but sharing it here nonetheless.  

Oh and yeah so the folks here telling me taking the day after shot 2 off is probably advisable.

-QG

oh and as an update 36 hours post-shot - arm still sore except when posititoned certain ways - a bit tired buy still my usual long walk today.  No fever or any of the other stuff.  No complaints.  (as a recap it was Pfizer #1)

-QG

For those places that have opened up to the general pop, are there appointments available?
My state isn't at "open to everyone" yet, but appointments are open to everybody 65+, anybody with one underlying condition, and anybody in a priority job, which includes K-12 and college teachers and staff, law enforcement, fire fighters, funeral workers, finance, law, manufacturing, IT, and lots of other industries that don't seem like they would be special priorities but what do I know.  The next step is "open to everyone" so we're almost there.

Our next mass vaccination event is on April 1 (really).  Appointments have been open since Wednesday and I'd estimate that it's only about half full.  Probably around 500 spots or so still open.  

I think is probably evidence for @fatguyinalittlecoat's theory about why it's so easy to get vaccinated in some places but not in others.  At this point, I'm sure at least two thirds of our adult population -- probably a conservative estimate -- qualifies for vaccination, but supply is still outpacing demand a bit. 

My state isn't at "open to everyone" yet, but appointments are open to everybody 65+, anybody with one underlying condition, and anybody in a priority job, which includes K-12 and college teachers and staff, law enforcement, fire fighters, funeral workers, finance, law, manufacturing, IT, and lots of other industries that don't seem like they would be special priorities but what do I know.  The next step is "open to everyone" so we're almost there.

Our next mass vaccination event is on April 1 (really).  Appointments have been open since Wednesday and I'd estimate that it's only about half full.  Probably around 500 spots or so still open.  

I think is probably evidence for @fatguyinalittlecoat's theory about why it's so easy to get vaccinated in some places but not in others.  At this point, I'm sure at least two thirds of our adult population -- probably a conservative estimate -- qualifies for vaccination, but supply is still outpacing demand a bit. 
I think this is clearly the case. I signed up on the first day I was eligible. There were no appointments anywhere in town. The next closest Walgreens was in a rural area 45 minutes away. There were 25 appointments for the next day. More over the following few. 

Yup. My mother in law sent me a message she got from the senior center here in Baltimore.  The message said, "call this number tomorrow at 9:00 - 4:00 to get an appointment, any age, any zip code."

When I called, a) i only got a message, no one to give appointments, b) they are only taking 65+, and c) only from 3 priority zip codes. 

So that message was wrong on at least 3 levels. 

12 hours post Shot #1.  Arm is a little sore.  No worse than other vaccines (have had 6 vaccine shots in the past 6 months).  A little tired.  Nose is running like a faucet but I’m not sure that’s vaccine related or seasonal allergies kicking in.  
Guess I’ll see what the morning brings.
Little over 24 hours post Pfizer shot #1.  I feel good.  Minimal arm soreness.  No worse than other vaccines I’ve had.  Otherwise no discernible adverse reaction.

My wife got her first Pfizer shot the other night. Waited over an hour. She had a mild case of COVID after I had it the end of last year. Her side effects have been worse than when she had COVID. She was running almost 103 fever even with an extra big does of ibuprofen. Had the other usual symptoms (aches, chills, fatigue, general malaise, hard to concentrate, rotten mood). She snapped out of it somewhere in the 36-48 hour range.
Not sure of why, but I’ve been hearing that you should avoid ibuprofen and take acetaminophen.

Not sure of why, but I’ve been hearing that you should avoid ibuprofen and take acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen (and most over-the-counter pain relievers) is an NSAID, which is anti-inflammatory, antipyretic (relieves fever) and reduces immune response. Acetaminophen is one of the few OTC pain relievers that is not an NSAID.

In a sense ... your body NEEDS that fever and those immune reactions after your vaccination.

Ibuprofen (and most over-the-counter pain relievers) is an NSAID, which is anti-inflammatory, antipyretic (relieves fever) and reduces immune response. Acetaminophen is one of the few OTC pain relievers that is not an NSAID.

In a sense ... your body NEEDS that fever and those immune reactions after your vaccination.
Our area said they didn't care what you took, as long as you didn't take ANYTHING in preparation for the shot. And after, to take it if and only if needed, not to "get ahead of the pain." Basically, only take something if you really needed it to not inhibit the effectiveness of the vaccine unnecessarily.

I support the right to decline the vaccine, just like I support the right to speak up against things that I believe in.

But, to me personally, getting the vaccine is a matter of patriotism. I feel like I'm doing my small part to help get the country back on track. I understand that I am taking a risk, but that's a risk I'm willing to take to preserve freedom.

Maderna #1 for me and wife yesterday. Sick as dogs today.

Brutal headaches. 

Fever

Sweats/Chills

Nausea

I forced myself to eat, get moving around, ran some errands because I know that will work it through my system faster. Back home and took a nap. I think I might be coming out of it, but, wife hasn't got out of bed all day. 

I mean I understand how this works and the vaccines are super new, but it feels like they are just running around giving people small doses of the covid.  If I really didnt want the vaccine card to travel internationally I probably wouldnt recommend putting up with it. 

ETA - and apparently the sickness after the second shot is twice as bad. Cant wait. 

Brutal headaches. 

Fever

Sweats/Chills

Nausea

I forced myself to eat, get moving around, ran some errands because I know that will work it through my system faster. Back home and took a nap. I think I might be coming out of it, but, wife hasn't got out of bed all day. 

I mean I understand how this works and the vaccines are super new, but it feels like they are just running around giving people small doses of the covid.  If I really didnt want the vaccine card to travel internationally I probably would recommend putting up with it. 
Clearly you do not.

Brutal headaches. 

Fever

Sweats/Chills

Nausea
I didn't have any side effects from my first Moderna shot. My arm was a tad sore that evening and the next day, but it felt fine after that.

Took more than 48 hours for me to feel normal again. Thursday at 100 PM was the shot, and it was about 5 PM tonight, after a long nap, that I felt good again. Whew - glad that is over, that was no fun

I assume the fact that I had minimal pain the evening I got the shot and then wanted to go to bed early, but have had no other reactions means my immune system is basically rolling over and asking the "virus" to pet its belly?

I assume the fact that I had minimal pain the evening I got the shot and then wanted to go to bed early, but have had no other reactions means my immune system is basically rolling over and asking the "virus" to pet its belly?
Yeah, I've been a little worried because after 1.5 days post-Moderna, ex-Mr. krista has had a little arm soreness and nothing else.  :lol:    Maybe he has no immune system.

I wouldn't go so far as to say people getting their first Moderna or Pfizer shots are supposed to get flu-like symptoms. Without looking at numbers: I'm not sure that even one in ten people get noticeable reactions beyond shoulder soreness.

I wouldn't go so far as to say people getting their first Moderna or Pfizer shots are supposed to get flu-like symptoms. Without looking at numbers: I'm not sure that even one in ten people get noticeable reactions beyond shoulder soreness.
Anecdotal, but barber shop talk today 66% of us had gotten sick.  

My arm is still a tad sore at the injection site now after 3 days but feel great otherwise.

I travel exclusively for work having spent over 180 days in hotels since the first of August; which also included around 2-dozen flights.  I was lucky enough to be home the day my state opened to 50+ and was able to snag an appointment at my providers mass site for the Moderna vaccine that day.  Like most have said, only some soreness in the arm but other than this no other effects.  To be sure I am home for my 2nd dose, I was going to secure paid time off from my "bank" but thought I'd read something about additional leave being added to our package for Covid related concerns.  Sure enough, leave is available for the vaccine and related issues should the arise.  So, I took this leave for the day of and day after the shot (if I am fine after, I'll just work, but wanted the time reserved just in case).  The Pfizer vaccine put my wife down for a day the day after the second dose and several of my friends had similar reactions.  Sharing the leave thing as more or less a PSA for others who work for major corporations who might provide similar time off.  I likely be right back on the road right after the 2nd dose and have a huge sense of relief not only for myself, but the potential that existed for me to have it, not know it a possibly communicate it to others.  

I was a little surprised at the shoulder soreness (I also got Moderna, if it matters).

I've had many shots and blood draws over the years. But I've never had a sore spot linger the way the Moderna shot did. And the shot itself was completely painless -- usually I can at least tell when I've been jabbed, but the COVID vaccine went in super-smooth. Six hours or so later ... sore deltoid. Soreness only lasted about a day, but it certainly made me notice.

Was that actually the vaccine in action causing spot soreness? As opposed to something about the physical needle entry?
Just bumping to commiserate. Yeah, that spot soreness was a marked contrast from any other shoulder shot I've ever received. If that was caused by the immune reaction, seems a little surprising that it was isolated to one muscle as opposed to an all-over-the-body feeling of muscle soreness.

And I can't swear that I didn't have an 0.5-1.0 degree fever or something like that ... I didn't feel a fever and so never checked.

Yeah, I've been a little worried because after 1.5 days post-Moderna, ex-Mr. krista has had a little arm soreness and nothing else.  :lol:    Maybe he has no immune system.
My personal experience and most of the people I’ve talked to who got moderna had little to no reaction to first dose. Second dose those people (including me) get wiped out for about 24 hours starting maybe 12 hours after the shot. 

Had Moderna 2 Friday afternoon. Felt a little “off” before bed and a slight headache. Took Tylenol. Basically couldn’t sleep at all. Just a worsening headache and overall discomfort. Was in bed pretty much all day yesterday. Heart rate was over 100 even laying down. Headache all day. Took Tylenol every 6 hours and it didn’t do much. Started feeling cold and had a fever of 101. Tylenol before bed. Headache started to lessen. Had trouble sleeping again last night but basically feel normal today. Remnants of a slight headache this morning, has now disappeared. Tired from not sleeping, but feel close to (but not quite) 100% now.  

This pretty much describes my reaction to Pfizer dose 2.  I also was then fatigued for the next 6-7 days.

Sea Duck said:
I support the right to decline the vaccine, just like I support the right to speak up against things that I believe in.

But, to me personally, getting the vaccine is a matter of patriotism. I feel like I'm doing my small part to help get the country back on track. I understand that I am taking a risk, but that's a risk I'm willing to take to preserve freedom.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion on the issue. No argument here

I'm about to throw in the towel in on this endever.  So frustrating to sign up only to find out I'm not qualified, now find out there is a 5 week wait for it.  Screw it.  

Little over 24 hours post Pfizer shot #1.  I feel good.  Minimal arm soreness.  No worse than other vaccines I’ve had.  Otherwise no discernible adverse reaction.
48 hours post Pfizer shot 1 and I feel fine.  Not even arm soreness.  My son got it the same time as me and has had no issues.

Should be getting moderna 2 this week though I have some flexibility in date and time.  Thinking will go Thursday PM so if it hits hard it doesn't wipe out my entire weekend.  

Should be getting moderna 2 this week though I have some flexibility in date and time.  Thinking will go Thursday PM so if it hits hard it doesn't wipe out my entire weekend.  
Make sure you have ibuprofen and Tylenol and alternate them every couple hours if you can take them. Start about 6 hrs after your shot. One can be a cold and flu med. The good thing is the flu feeling leaves as fast as it comes on. 

Make sure you have ibuprofen and Tylenol and alternate them every couple hours if you can take them. Start about 6 hrs after your shot. One can be a cold and flu med. The good thing is the flu feeling leaves as fast as it comes on. 
I think for this you are only supposed to take Tylenol (acetaminophen), that's what the doctors told my dad (he's 76 and had no issues from either shot).

Users who are viewing this thread