Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Expected Biden Policy Accomplishments


TripItUp

Recommended Posts

Covid response plan and stimulus/small business support

Help fund critical infrastructure projects to create jobs, including bolstering internet accessibility to rural areas- I believe schools will begin using some sort of off campus learning more, regardless of the pandemic. It saves a lot of resources, and can help mitigate crowded classrooms. Also, it will be needed experience as more colleges use/offer remote learning, and more students take advantage of it.

Give states resources to open schools safely- testing, masks/sanitation supplies, guidance. 
 

Work with both sides to help correct issues with the ACA, do something to bring prescription drug costs in line with the rest of the world. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

Covid response plan and stimulus/small business support

Help fund critical infrastructure projects to create jobs, including bolstering internet accessibility to rural areas- I believe schools will begin using some sort of off campus learning more, regardless of the pandemic. It saves a lot of resources, and can help mitigate crowded classrooms. Also, it will be needed experience as more colleges use/offer remote learning, and more students take advantage of it.

Give states resources to open schools safely- testing, masks/sanitation supplies, guidance. 
 

Work with both sides to help correct issues with the ACA, do something to bring prescription drug costs in line with the rest of the world. 
 

 

Big fan of the bolded part.  

I would also like to see Biden make a push for clean energy.  At least to me, that seems like a good complement to an infrastructure initiative.

Edited by IvanKaramazov
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

I don't expect him to get much policy accomplished...not with McConnell in power in the Senate.  He'll spend most of his time undoing Executive Orders.

Does McConnell automatically become majority leader again (assuming R control)? I guess I need to google how that works...could someone interested in working to create meaningful legislation that helps Americans garner support in the party?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Snorkelson said:

Does McConnell automatically become majority leader again (assuming R control)? I guess I need to google how that works...could someone interested in working to create meaningful legislation that helps Americans garner support in the party?

I believe I read that they were voting on party leadership yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

Does McConnell automatically become majority leader again (assuming R control)? I guess I need to google how that works...could someone interested in working to create meaningful legislation that helps Americans garner support in the party?

Yes...he's just been revoted in as "leader" of the GOP....only question now is will he be minority or majority leader.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

Does McConnell automatically become majority leader again (assuming R control)? I guess I need to google how that works...could someone interested in working to create meaningful legislation that helps Americans garner support in the party?

Not sure but hopefully the Dems get rid of Pelosi this time around.  Come on man, Nancy is 80 years old. Need a fresh start with some younger blood.

Edited by Summer Wheat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone else will get the Covid, executive orders, etc. so instead

  • Restore emphasis, and a little bit of funding for NASA Earth Sciences (studying climate change).  Those future missions are safe for now.
  • Be honest about the timeline (and more importantly funding levels) for returning to the moon and ultimately less urgent to meet self gratifying 2024 timeline, but not so much to thwart the energy this seems to have created
  • Extend the government's timeline to end funding to ISS
  • The SLS and Orion are close enough to being seen in the wild so won't cancel, but will put programs on notice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Not sure but hopefully the Dems get rid of Pelosi this time around.  Come on man, Nancy is 80 years old. Need a fresh start with some younger blood.

Im thinking once Trump is gone this is a possibility.  She was good as a foil to Trump...but we need less of that aggressive nature to fight POTUS now and more someone who can be a good go-between Biden and McConnel.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

More uniform covid policy consistent with scientific guidance.

Keep and expand the ACA.

Re-establish our role as international leaders by rejoining key organizations and showing respect for our historic allies.

Back off tariffs.

Lessen exploitation of federal lands by businesses, especially the fossil fuel industry.

 

1 hour ago, Snorkelson said:

Covid response plan and stimulus/small business support

Help fund critical infrastructure projects to create jobs, including bolstering internet accessibility to rural areas- I believe schools will begin using some sort of off campus learning more, regardless of the pandemic. It saves a lot of resources, and can help mitigate crowded classrooms. Also, it will be needed experience as more colleges use/offer remote learning, and more students take advantage of it.

Give states resources to open schools safely- testing, masks/sanitation supplies, guidance. 
 

Work with both sides to help correct issues with the ACA, do something to bring prescription drug costs in line with the rest of the world. 
 

 

These 2 are great posts...my tops are

-Covid Response as it must be immediate...and good he is already starting with that task force to be ready day one.

-Infrastructure as described above...with so many still in distance learning and work from home situations...this is very important

-Health care will be a long term one...it will take time...and they will have to fight the obstruction of McConnell here.

-trade...do what they can to fix the mess Trump has left with China.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

 

These 2 are great posts...my tops are

-Covid Response as it must be immediate...and good he is already starting with that task force to be ready day one.

-Infrastructure as described above...with so many still in distance learning and work from home situations...this is very important

-Health care will be a long term one...it will take time...and they will have to fight the obstruction of McConnell here.

-trade...do what they can to fix the mess Trump has left with China.  

Left leaning Newsweek likes how Trump handled China and wants Biden to continue more of the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Summer Wheat said:

Ok...cool.  Traditional conservative in me does not like Trump's trade policies and thinks we are at a worse position now in regards to trade deficit with China than we were before.  Tarrifs suck and are hurting the consumer as well as our farmers and manufacturers.  This does not mean I want to be soft on China...not at all...but the current method is not working.  The article quoted also talked about how Biden would do so with our allies vs. unilaterally.  In addition, in the article the expert they quote states "To be sure, the Trump Administration has made the relationship much worse."  Which is part of my point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Ok...cool.  Traditional conservative in me does not like Trump's trade policies and thinks we are at a worse position now in regards to trade deficit with China than we were before.  Tarrifs suck and are hurting the consumer as well as our farmers and manufacturers.  This does not mean I want to be soft on China...not at all...but the current method is not working.  The article quoted also talked about how Biden would do so with our allies vs. unilaterally.  In addition, in the article the expert they quote states "To be sure, the Trump Administration has made the relationship much worse."  Which is part of my point.

I don`t know enough about it.  Was just trying to find the latest on China.  Newsweek never compliments Trump so I found that interesting.

 

Main issue is the USA had a big role in creating the monster that is China now.  Once Pandoras box is opened it is tough to get it closed.

Edited by Summer Wheat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-Get steamrolled by every other major leader. 

-Raise taxes.

-Refamiliarize himself with the names and faces of his close family members. 

-Fork over millions and millions of our money to overseas interests. 

-Attempt to dodge the allegations of the money his son received by simply laughing it off and saying “cmon man” while the media never follows up. 

-Phase out fossil fuels entirely so we can realize that renewables won’t cover our power needs. 

- Turn his back on his promises to the unions about infrastructure deals exactly like Obama did. 

All in all it’s a net positive for me and my family. Biden is too inept to accomplish anything that isn’t written on the screen. Harris is obviously in over her head. We hopefully get a infrastructure deal which keeps food on the table of our union family. 

My wife and kids are happy.

The movement of liberal white women and the sons they have raised won’t throw a temper tantrum and destroy downtown DC. 
 

:thumbup:

 

Edited by fissure man
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reversing Trump's Executive Orders will be a priority for him--which will create absolute chaos at the IRS again when he overturns the tax cuts.

I think he will spend the first 12-18 months of his presidency dealing with and defeating the virus in every way he can. 

There will be a lot of talk and hearings on health care, but nothing substantial will come of it as too many of these politicians on both sides of the aisle are owned by Big Pharma

He will have to deal with massive racial unrest when the Floyd trial doesn't turn out like many hope it will.

He will do the Obama world tour of shaking hands with allies--lots and lots of hair sniffing opportunities to be had there.

Maybe in an effort to court more Latino votes, there will be a symbolic moment at the border where small sections of border wall are torn down. 

I think he and the rest of the Dems will take at least the first two years of his presidency blaming Trump for the economy not performing well. 

All and all I think we are in for a redo of the 70's--boring, uneventful and stagnant--call me a cynic. .

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

Reversing Trump's Executive Orders will be a priority for him--which will create absolute chaos at the IRS again when he overturns the tax cuts.

I think he will spend the first 12-18 months of his presidency dealing with and defeating the virus in every way he can. 

There will be a lot of talk and hearings on health care, but nothing substantial will come of it as too many of these politicians on both sides of the aisle are owned by Big Pharma

He will have to deal with massive racial unrest when the Floyd trial doesn't turn out like many hope it will.

He will do the Obama world tour of shaking hands with allies--lots and lots of hair sniffing opportunities to be had there.

Maybe in an effort to court more Latino votes, there will be a symbolic moment at the border where small sections of border wall are torn down. 

I think he and the rest of the Dems will take at least the first two years of his presidency blaming Trump for the economy not performing well. 

All and all I think we are in for a redo of the 70's--boring, uneventful and stagnant--call me a cynic. .

 

This was passed via legislation, to get it "overturned" it'd have to be done via more legislation and if McConnell is in charge, that simply isn't going to happen.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

Reversing Trump's Executive Orders will be a priority for him--which will create absolute chaos at the IRS again when he overturns the tax cuts.

I think he will spend the first 12-18 months of his presidency dealing with and defeating the virus in every way he can. 

There will be a lot of talk and hearings on health care, but nothing substantial will come of it as too many of these politicians on both sides of the aisle are owned by Big Pharma

He will have to deal with massive racial unrest when the Floyd trial doesn't turn out like many hope it will.

He will do the Obama world tour of shaking hands with allies--lots and lots of hair sniffing opportunities to be had there.

Maybe in an effort to court more Latino votes, there will be a symbolic moment at the border where small sections of border wall are torn down. 

I think he and the rest of the Dems will take at least the first two years of his presidency blaming Trump for the economy not performing well. 

All and all I think we are in for a redo of the 70's--boring, uneventful and stagnant--call me a cynic. .

 

I almost wet me knickers when I read this!  Haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

-Health care will be a long term one...it will take time...and they will have to fight the obstruction of McConnell here.

There were aspects of the GOP plan from a few years that Biden could take and run with if he so desired.  One of the problem with the policies sold on the exchanges are that the pools are such that one or two really sick people make everything too expensive.  The GOP wanted to pull these few people out one way or another and cover the extremes separately.  This is a great idea (with devil in the details caveat) .  The problem is they were only going to minimally fund it.    Since several states have used waivers to set up reinsurance programs and they seem largely effective (though some disagree). 

While this is only speculation based on anecdotal evidence, I suspect that the vast majority of those really "screwed over" by the ACA rules for individual market insurance that make just a bit too much for subsidies to help  are modestly successful small business owners.  And I suspect that these are mostly GOP voters.     So maybe resurrecting the original temporary reinsurance program at the federal level is something that the GOP and democrats can agree on to lower cost for these people. 

Note:  I have never heard Biden propose this, just looking for an easy example of where Biden and McConnell might find common ground if McConnell allows it.  Another seemingly bi-partisan opportunity is "surprise billing".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Protection for Dreamers. A permanent solution for them would be great, they're nurses, medical assistants, teachers, students, soldiers. 

This is a key one for me as it affects many of my university students and their families.

Beyond that, a lot of what's been mentioned:

- efforts to address systemic racism.  I'd suggest a place to start is with public education

- infrastructure improvements and progress on clean energy

- change tax rates as he has outlined

- improve health care for all

- reduce military spending (which can be simply eliminating waste and redundancy)

- increase the cap for Social Security

I have doubts that much can be done with the latter items unless the Dems come through in GA.  Even then, I don't know if enough of them have the spine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Nobel Peace Prize. 

Obama got one for essentially breathing, so Biden has his work cut out for him.  :P

 

3 hours ago, Courtjester said:

He will have to deal with massive racial unrest when the Floyd trial doesn't turn out like many hope it will.

This is true - very high chance that these folks don't get convicted.  The details - lethal dose of fentanyl already in him, not being able to breathe way before the knee to the back, etc. will really muddy those waters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

- efforts to address systemic racism.  I'd suggest a place to start is with public education

Absolutely.  The $17k/child/year or whatever it is would pay for a wonderful private education if the monies were tagged to kids instead of systems, administrators, and unions.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Im thinking once Trump is gone this is a possibility.  She was good as a foil to Trump...but we need less of that aggressive nature to fight POTUS now and more someone who can be a good go-between Biden and McConnel.

 

...if such a thing can exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will be massively disappointed if Biden doesn't prioritize his climate/clean energy plan near the top of the agenda.

Action taken during the next 4-5 years is critical to avoiding irreversible impacts. If Dems fully control Congress, this should be an Obamacare-equivalent use of political capital.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just trying to name a few things that haven't already been mentioned:

 

  • Appoint a new AG - He's obviously going to do this but it will be an extremely beneficial development for the United States. Have to get Barr out of DOJ ASAP.
  • End the separation of families at the border
  • Improve the amnesty program - end waiting in Mexico, go back to releasing while waiting for the hearing, better instructions to immigration courts
  • Criminal Justice Reform - I know Biden has a terrible track record on this from his time as a Senator. But times have changed and I am hopeful that Biden's beliefs have also.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw this headline:

“How Trumps reluctance to concede could impact national security! “

It’s headlines and rhetoric like this that brainwashes the morons. And this county has a lot of morons. A large percentage of them are the coddled, privileged white boys and girls who have never been in a fight, never faced any hardship and need something else to fight for. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, fissure man said:

Just saw this headline:

“How Trumps reluctance to concede could impact national security! “

It’s headlines and rhetoric like this that brainwashes the morons. And this county has a lot of morons. A large percentage of them are the coddled, privileged white boys and girls who have never been in a fight, never faced any hardship and need something else to fight for. 

 

 

I dont think its mor...well no point to even use that word here.  Also doesn’t sound like the grown up conversation you were claiming to want.

More to the point...what did the article say...because I read one with a similar gist to the headline.  And it laid out the facts well of how a delay could affect national security and gave specific reasons/examples.  Would be helpful if we could know what parts of the article you actually are disputing or disagreeing with.

I think that works better than the vitriol in this post.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2020 at 9:44 AM, Kao-Lin said:

Obama got one for essentially breathing, so Biden has his work cut out for him.  :P

 

This is true - very high chance that these folks don't get convicted.  The details - lethal dose of fentanyl already in him, not being able to breathe way before the knee to the back, etc. will really muddy those waters.

What’s this all about?

FTR, opioids sedate and decrease respiratory drive, so OD victims essentially fall asleep and stop breathing. They don’t scream “I can’t breathe” before succumbing to the toxicity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2020 at 12:46 PM, BroadwayG said:

Declassify the MJ

And release anyone convicted of any MJ crimes immediately. I know this is happening at the state level in some cases, but needs to be done at the federal level at the exact same time the rescheduling or descheduling.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bamboo Bill said:

And release anyone convicted of any MJ crimes immediately. I know this is happening at the state level in some cases, but needs to be done at the federal level at the exact same time the rescheduling or descheduling.

He is in favor of this as well as expunging the records from past convictions. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...