What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One Year wonders that helped win your league: (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
We have a FF HOF thread going.   Now how about the one year wonder player/players that helped you win you league?

Mine were Steve Buerlein and Patrick Jeffers 1999.  The good ole days when we were using USA Today for injury reports.

After injuries I picked them both up out of the pool and they both had career years. Buerlein threw 36 TDs, 4500 yards.  Never had more than 17 in any other season.

Patrick Jeffers had over 1000 yards and 12 TDs after not starting first half of season.  36 total catches zero TDs before and after that season.

Also has Muhsin Muhammed on the same team  1200 yards 9 TDs so I was getting all of Carolinas points.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Jeffers in 1999 and won the title.  Had Wesley Walls, so I was too getting a ton of CAR points.

Other one wonders for me that led to titles:

2004 - Drew Bennett - him an Billy Volek went nuts for TEN down the stretch.

2009 - Had Vernon Davis the year that he scored 13 or so TDs.  While he wasn't necessarily a one year wonder, he was a tease after that.

2012 - Trent Richardson in his rookie year when he was good only due to volume.  He sucked after that.

I had Jeffers in 1999 and won the title.  Had Wesley Walls, so I was too getting a ton of CAR points.

Other one wonders for me that led to titles:

2004 - Drew Bennett - him an Billy Volek went nuts for TEN down the stretch.

2009 - Had Vernon Davis the year that he scored 13 or so TDs.  While he wasn't necessarily a one year wonder, he was a tease after that.

2012 - Trent Richardson in his rookie year when he was good only due to volume.  He sucked after that.
Lost in the playoff with one of my  best teams  to the Volek and Bennett duo.

Domanick Davis/Williams, HOU 2003

MJD, Jags 2006

both went undrafted in our 16 team league 

Misread the question...Davis was a 3-year wonder who disappeared as quickly as he burst onto the scene

Late season 2009, I picked up Arian Foster and Peyton Hillis on waivers.

Foster exploded in 2010, and was a bit more than a one-year wonder, although that was his biggest year. 

But Hillis... chipping in with 1177 yards, 11 TD's rushing, and 61 receptions for 477 and 2TD's... having those two every week won me a title. Hillis never came close to that again. 

1999 Olandis Gary and Marcus Robinson were huge for me. Gary I believe had back-to-back 170 yard games in the FF playoffs. Robinson added a 170 yard 3 TD game. Add that to Brad Johnson's 471 yard Sunday Night gem against SF, and I was able to take home the $660 prize over the guy who had Warner...AND Faulk.

The clincher was throwing out JJ Johnson at RB on Monday Night for Miami against the Jets, who responded with 100 and TD. Only had him because I thought Cecil Collins was going to be good and there was no one left in our 16 team league.

Had a lot of lucky dart throws that season, but it sure was fun. I bought the kegs for the Y2K party 😁

I had those two and Marcus Robinson that year...along with Edgerrin James, Charlie Garner and Randy Moss it is still my all time favorite team...was glad to see the boys at our 20th year anniversary recently.

How about a 1 day wonder? Week 17 (ESPN had their championship game in week 17 that year) 2010 season, Joe McKnight, Tim Tebow, and Rashad Jennings. Won by 10 points on 4th quarter heroics by Tebow but McKnight crushed it earlier. 

Terry Allen in 1996. 21 TD's!
Terry Allen was great but he had more than one good season.

3 times he was a top 12 RB once for the Vikings before he had ACL injury and they moved on.

I would appreciate Robert Smith more if I wasn't aware of the player they gave up on when they took him.

Billy Volek in 2004
I had the Volek- Bennett stack. Free money!

More recently Nick Foles in 2013, with some playoff spot starts from Bobby "make it" Rainey, Damnit Donald, and Edwin "Rock" Baker. Yes I started each one of those guys at least once in the playoffs, and won. 

While he wasn't a one hit wonder, I had Chris Chambers in 2005 when he had 82 rec, 1118 yds and 11 TD, by far his best season.

That year, I had Holt, Boldin and Chambers at WR along with Edge and Larry Johnson at RB.  Easy title.

in 2012, along with Richardson, I had CJ Spiller in his career year.  1700 all purpose yards and 8 TDs.  I also had Ray Rice, for 3 top 10 RBs on my team that year. 

As I mentioned in the Amazing Race thread in the FFA, I won a title in 2015 thanks in part to WW pickup Gary Barnidge, who was a stud TE that year and never useful in fantasy any other year.

While he wasn't a one hit wonder, I had Chris Chambers in 2005 when he had 82 rec, 1118 yds and 11 TD, by far his best season.

That year, I had Holt, Boldin and Chambers at WR along with Edge and Larry Johnson at RB.  Easy title.

in 2012, along with Richardson, I had CJ Spiller in his career year.  1700 all purpose yards and 8 TDs.  I also had Ray Rice, for 3 top 10 RBs on my team that year. 
I won the title in 2005 with Larry Johnson as well. Drafted him late and kept him on my bench just in case...

I picked first that year and had LT as well, but can't remember who the heck else was on my team.

Derek Fenner - 1990, 14 TDs back when it was TD only league.

Yes I'm old.
In 1988 my cousin knocks me out of the playoffs in large part because of Robb Riddick who he picked up off the wire that year. Riddick scored 12 TD in Thurman Thomas rookie season. 2 TD week 12. He was tied for RB 4 that year on 111 carries and never played again because Thomas was very very good.

I can't remember that far back anymore to all my past glories.  So for something more recent I'll go with:

2016 - David Johnson
2019 - Kenyan Drake

Derek Fenner - 1990, 14 TDs back when it was TD only league.

Yes I'm old.
My first FF season I drafted Ickey Woods at #3 overall after he had 15 TDs his rookie year.  Blew his knee out in the third game of the season.  TD league only. 6 for TDs 3 for passing TDs.  30-35 points was a big game.   Kickers were huge.

2017 Playoffs wonder  - Blake Bortles. 

I had issues at QB all season long and a strong roster elsewhere. I saw he had a very easy playoff schedule. I traded a 4th round pick for him and he was the difference in me winning the title.

Nomination 1: Antonio Bryant. I believe it was Gruden's LY with the Bucs. Bryant went on a crazy run during the fantasy playoffs. IIRC he scored 60 points in the ship.

Nomination 2 (combo): Bilal Powell / Tim Hightower I started both in the ship about 4 or 5 years ago and rolled to the title!

I can only recall a few at the moment: 

Alfred Morris years ago, and

Julius Thomas in that magical yr outta nowhere thanks to Peyton's last, great hurrah

Josh Gordon in that specifically singular, sole yr of crazy production

Martavis Bryant in that 1 single season when he produced & played like an "alien". His season that yr wasn't consistent, but he sure did help me win games and my league when he played.

Laurent Robinson (of the Cowboys) - So many yrs ago, but I remember he had that 1 great season with the Boys', and he had an unbelievable stretch of production in the playoff weeks for me in that season. 

Arian Foster - Can't believe I forgot about him. 

How about a one game wonder?  Onterrio Smith forced into my lineup Dec 20, 2003 goes off for 183 rushing/receiving yards and 3 second half TDs

Users who are viewing this thread